Project resurrection - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      How did the paint match. Black Saffhire? Which supplier?
      05 XC70R Ice White
      06 V70R GT TiGrey/Gobi

Sold & missed: 05 V70R M66 Saffhire Black/Nordkap

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Itís black sapphire 452 code. I went to my local APM and had them mix up enough to do both fenders We had to reduce it 1-1 and sprayed it in a gravity fed gun. The clear was from Car Quest and it had 4-1 clear to hardener. I left the remaining stuff at my buddies shop when I picked up the fenders from curing this morning. There stayed the night to harden to be safe enough to not damage them trying to get them home. Iíll post product details later on.

I hung this one to admire the results. To bad the rest of the car is filthy and needs a clean and polish now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      04 S60r - Hilton Stage 3 Tuned
      07 S60r - Project Resurrection

The rain finally stopped here and the sun came out so it was time to introduce the fenders to the world. I think now that they are mounted the flaws in the paint have disappeared. The rest of the car still needs to be polished to a mirror shine........I just need time.

I thought Iíd take off the winter pegs and try the Niche wheels for a while. They cleaned up ok, since these were part of the purchase package I should give them some use. I have to restore the ipd 19" pegs that were also in the deal later this year.

Last edited by headhunter_paintball; 05-16-2018 at 10:16 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Got up this morning to a little frost and thought is grab a couple pics.

Project resurrection

After waiting on a replacement wheel, tracking down tires and getting over the father in-law destroying my winter wheel setup, itís refinishing time. I have two rep and two oem wheels now that share a matt titanium finish and hopefully tires will get mounted tomorrow.

Oem vs Rep

Last edited by headhunter_paintball; 12-11-2018 at 06:50 PM.

I had some time today so it was perfect to get rid of the ****ty old brakes and start fresh when I installed the refinished wheels.

Looking very nice.
      The dark wheels make for a cool look.

I agree. My factory pegs need some touchup and I think I'll try to find a gray/silver like this for mine instead of going back to the stock silver.

Very nice!
      2004 S60R Black Sapphire Metallic/Gobi
      2009 Volkswagen Routan
      2012 Fiat 500 Lounge

Project resurrection

Just an update.......

I had to do a blower fan regulator because he heat would not work. I had an Ace Ventura trip to work last Thursday in freezing rain and that was the straw that broke the camels back. I pulled it out and an hour later Voila!!! Warm again.

I chased a miss fire for a week thinking it was coils so I changed them and while I was there I did plugs. It was better for a day then came back to rough running and stumbling over her self. I eventually pulled the looming off the coil wires to discover the insulation crack and broken on # 1 and 2. I got it buttoned up and the black bitch is robbing again.

Here is a pic of Miss Temperamental.

Last edited by headhunter_paintball; 02-25-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Iíve been dealing with my coolant being low after a few drives and top ups are so frequent that we are rolling around with a coolant jug in the back seat.

Itís the dreaded cracked cylinder Iím afraid based on the start up smoke. Iíll snap a pic tomorrow.

I have been on the hunt for a replacement for a couple of weeks and found a super deal in Merica! Unfortunately being Canadian made the deal not so attractive after all the currency, boarder and brokerage fees.

Thanks to forum member Mark (BlkT5) for selling me with a decent 06 motor for a great Canadian deal. He through in some extras to sweeten up the package too. I just have to wait for it to make its journey across the country. It is scheduled to be here for the 11th and Iím crossing my fingers it arrives safe and sound.

Looks like Iíll be white smoke free on start up soon.

I made some progress tearing down the car for the motor swap the other night. In about 4 hours I got this far. Axels out bumper bar out and ready for the rad to be pulled. It went quicker than I thought so hopefully the momentum keeps going.

New motor waiting........ a few more evenings hopefully.

I fought and fought this car today and finally got the motor dropped. The knuckle on the steering column was seized to the rack and heíd to be cut off. Other than that it has been pretty straight forward. The subframe is on a pallet attached to the motor and tranny.

Here is the f**ken knuckle after I gave up and cut it off.

Tomorrow all the accessories get migrated and cleanup starts while each motor is sitting on its own pallet.

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter_paintball View Post
      I fought and fought this car today and finally got the motor dropped. The knuckle on the steering column was seized to the rack and heíd to be cut off. Other than that it has been pretty straight forward. The subframe is on a pallet attached to the motor and tranny.

Here is the f**ken knuckle after I gave up and cut it off.

Tomorrow all the accessories get migrated and cleanup starts while each motor is sitting on its own pallet.

Nice work. When I tried to replace that lower steering shaft (steering knuckle) on my V70 I had to cut it off with a Dremel because the bolt head snapped off and the bolt sits in a groove which prevents it from being removed. Such a pain in the @ss.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, Snabb Tial Recirc Kit, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback, TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines, CFE+, UR Front Strut Brace, IPD Poly Top Engine Mount and Torque Mount.

2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic
      The $900 daily. IPD Poly Subframe Bushing Inserts, Everything Else OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by TristanScott View Post
      Nice work. When I tried to replace that lower steering shaft (steering knuckle) on my V70 I had to cut it off with a Dremel because the bolt head snapped off and the bolt sits in a groove which prevents it from being removed. Such a pain in the @ss.

I tried a dremil with a diamond wheel but the shaft was stuck in the collar after I cut the bolt in half.. I then drilled it out and removed all traces of the bolt but it was still stuck so I fired up the angle grinder and made short work of it and I wish I did that 3.5 hours earlier and two trips to the store.
      Now the chore to replace the leaking rack and knuckle locally hopefully will be a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter_paintball View Post
      I tried a dremil with a diamond wheel but the shaft was stuck in the collar after I cut the bolt in half.. I then drilled it out and removed all traces of the bolt but it was still stuck so I fired up the angle grinder and made short work of it and I wish I did that 3.5 hours earlier and two trips to the store.
      Now the chore to replace the leaking rack and knuckle locally hopefully will be a possibility

Yup that's sounds fun.

2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, Snabb Tial Recirc Kit, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback, TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines, CFE+, UR Front Strut Brace, IPD Poly Top Engine Mount and Torque Mount.

2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic
      The $900 daily. IPD Poly Subframe Bushing Inserts, Everything Else OEM.

Just an update on progress with the car. We have the new engine up in the car all installed to the to the mounting points. Here are some photos of the process.

Old engine pre change over and the new one looking lonely.

Twins.

New steering rack was needed and I discovered the 06-07 have different fittings from the 04-05 and are super hard to find up here.

The old motor naked and waiting for a perm inset spot in the garage to live until tear down for fun.

I ran out of steam last night and left the car and tools for a quick snack once the new motor was all buttoned up with accessories and ready to be lifted up to the body. Lonely old engine sitting there.

Hereís the update.......itís alive finally. Iíve been pulled in a million directions the last two weeks and the car has been sitting. I had a few issues getting it running at first but it puts like a kitten now.

Not much time during the process for pics unfortunately. I hoped to do a better job documenting things

FYI: if you remove an ecu make sure that itís fully seated or the mobilizer will kick in and no start will happen when you turn the key and youíll need vida to figure it out.

Going for an alignment tomorrow then summer shoes go on this weekend.

I want to thank Mark (BLKT5) for selling me quality parts and troubleshooting the ecu issue when we tried the initial fire up. Even though weíre on the opposite ends of the country, your a big help dude. I appreciate it.

Things done this go around:
      - Motor Swap
      - New wiring harness.
      - New drivers axel.
      - New steering rack.
      - New steering joint.
      - Drivers side knuckle.
      - Drivers side ball joint.
      - New wheel bearing.
      - Outer tie rod end.
      - All fresh fluids

Final tools to clean up.

I couldnít find the cover for the coil packs so I used the one from the 04 in the mean time until that one comes out for the season.

Project resurrection

We had some free time on our hands so we decided to pull the skirts and tackle removing crusties and replace with new metal.
      Thanks to my pal Jeff whoís a body guy for the help.

New rockers bent to shape.

Passengers side all welded in and waiting on my to grind the welds smooth.

Drivers side freaky cut out and a game plan being formulated.

New drivers side rocker waiting to be fitted in.

Jeff giving me more speed holes on the drivers side.

Last edited by headhunter_paintball; 07-06-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Weíre still plugging along with the body work and itís turning out better that I anticipated. The car is still up on stands but weíre seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. All the metal work is complete, the weldinging and glass is all sorted out. Mud is on and being sanded tonight.

Long hair fibreglass to seal up the welds.

Drivers side holes patched up.

Freshly welded rocker.

First coat of mud sanded off.

Cancer free rocker and wheel arch!

Rebuilt dog leg looking awesome. This was the reason the skirts came off in the first place.

Hopefully we can get enough done tonight that the primer is on the car before bead time.

Nice work Adam!
      Yellow 95 850 T-5R - SOLD
      Black 98 S70 T5M - Heavily modded
      Laser 00 V70 R 6MT - 03 T5 motor M66 AWD swapped. Stevo tuned
      Sappicama 04 V70 R 6MT - Hilton Stage 1
      Magicama 05 S60 R 6MT - Stock

Project resurrection

The car is all back together and waiting beautification photos. Iíve been driving it since Wednesday.......Iím some glad to be back rolling in the R. I figured Iíd share the last pics of the process.

The once janky dogleg all primed and rocker guarded.

The other side.

Paint booth in bay 1.

Jeff still working like a dog.

Late night prep.

Almost ready to spray.

Mmmmmm! Fresh skirts!

Last edited by headhunter_paintball; 08-05-2019 at 01:39 PM.

excellent job man!
      2006 S60R 2.4 T5 mostly stock fine tuned by https://urbastuning.wordpress.com
      ipd = sways, inter-cooler, inlet/TB/OTE silicone piping, cat back exhaust, rear camber bushings, sub-frame inserts,
      Originally Posted by John C "We are in the presence of greatness! "

Weíre back at work ready to haul my bike to the trail tonight.

Itís been a minute since I posted. We had some trials and tribulations this fall with things. My bike flew off the rack in the highway and thankfully minimal damage to the bike and car. I lost a tail light and will have to do a little buffing in the spring. The light got quickly replaced and we moved on. The bike is back in action as well.

I brought the car to the shop for a small exhaust leak that required two new flanges tires be welded in........easy peasy? No, ten minutes there a senior lady backed into the freshly painted bumper. She paid for a respray and we are as good as new.

I had a vibration that I racked my brain over that was there since sliding into the curb a year ago. I thought it was my wheels out of balance. Winter tire swap confirmed that it wasnít. I called Mark for a fresher pair of rear axels and after clean up this is how they looked.

Let me tell you right now that the rear dif has to come down to get these swapped. I had everything unhooked or out in the back end before I realized. Volvo leaves you with just enough room to think you can leave the dif alone but just enough to keep the axels from coming out. Thanks guys!

Weíre all back together with a new wheel bearing in the back and fresh e-brake cables.

Sorry for the lack of pictures. It was -15 Celsius when I was doing this job.

27. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2