Geartronic Sport Mode
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Geartronic Sport Mode

Hey folks, new around here. Just had the pleasure of purchasing my first volvo, which is a 2011 Volvo XC60 T6. According to the owner's manual, it seems that I should be able to engage the "sport mode" by moving the gearshift lever to the right (without bumping up or down). However when I do this, it simply engages manual shifting, and no "S" icon appears. Am I missing something?

Thanks! I apologize if this was discussed in a previous thread, was not able to find any in my search.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes, if it’s similar to mine, you have put it in sport mode but must shift manually.

The information below is on page 113 of the 2011 XC60 Owner's Manual.

Geartronic–Sport mode (S)
      This transmission mode provides sportier shifting characteristics and enables a more active driving style by making it possible to drive at higher rpm in each gear before shifting up. The engine also responds faster when the throttle pedal is pressed.

To access Sport mode from Drive (D), move the gear selector to the right. The transmission will not switch to manual shifting mode until the gear selector is moved forward or rearward toward +or-.

Sport mode can be selected any time.

NOTE
      • When the transmission is in Sport mode, the transmission symbol in the main instrument panel will change from D to S (see page 75).
      • Please be aware that using Sport mode may result in a slight decrease in fuel economy. Driving in D can help improve fuel economy.
      2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum Caspian Blue Metallic/Off Black, Heico Sport Suspension, IPD swaybar, Ferrita/TME Exhaust, Polestar #1640
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, Eibach Lowering Springs, IPD swaybar, Koni FSD, Polestar #1563
      2006 V70R 6M ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, TME Exhaust, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
      The information below is on page 113 of the 2011 XC60 Owner's Manual.

Geartronic?Sport mode (S)
      This transmission mode provides sportier shifting characteristics and enables a more active driving style by making it possible to drive at higher rpm in each gear before shifting up. The engine also responds faster when the throttle pedal is pressed.

To access Sport mode from Drive (D), move the gear selector to the right. The transmission will not switch to manual shifting mode until the gear selector is moved forward or rearward toward +or-.

Sport mode can be selected any time.

NOTE
      ? When the transmission is in Sport mode, the transmission symbol in the main instrument panel will change from D to S (see page 75).
      ? Please be aware that using Sport mode may result in a slight decrease in fuel economy. Driving in D can help improve fuel economy.
      Thanks. What I am stumped about is that it automatically puts it in manual shifting mode, with no "S" icon, even if I don't shift up or down. Could it be a software upgrade issue?

I think you need to check with your trusted Volvo service center. I have read that when the new 304hp engine was a introduced around 2011 there was a new gear box revision that lacked the sports mode. It could be that new software could restore the functionality. My 2009 has sports mode.

Wasn't the Sport Mode optional? My '10 T6 has that listed in the manual, but my car does not have the Sport Mode option.
      2010 XC60 T6 Sapphire Black Metallic (TFT DIM retrofit, DynoMax muffler, Eibach lowering springs & Koni struts, HardRace adjustable rear toe arms)
      2004 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon 2.5 White Frost Pearl (Also mine) | 2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 AWD Olympic White (Hers)

Well if this is just a software update then I must schedule a visit to my dealer. Might anyone know the cost for this update, if there is one?

Software updates are free (in my experience) as long as you've got the car in for something else at the same time. I would imagine taking it in for just a software check would either be free (nice dealer) or billed out at the standard hourly rate (approx. $115-$140/hr in the US).
      FOR SALE - 2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, K-Pax Exhaust, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, Snabb Intake & Turbo Pipe, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      SOLD - 2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors

Quote Originally Posted by svenvolvo View Post
      Well if this is just a software update then I must schedule a visit to my dealer. Might anyone know the cost for this update, if there is one?
      I doubt it's a software update, but actually a module software that you would have to purchase.
      2010 XC60 T6 Sapphire Black Metallic (TFT DIM retrofit, DynoMax muffler, Eibach lowering springs & Koni struts, HardRace adjustable rear toe arms)
      2004 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon 2.5 White Frost Pearl (Also mine) | 2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 AWD Olympic White (Hers)

The only automatic transmission cars I know of that didn't get the sport mode were the naturally aspirated engines e.g the 3.2 and V8. I've never heard of it being an actual add-on/extra and I can't imagine it ever was offered as such.

Either it's a rebadged 3.2 or I'm guessing your car was built for some "unusual" market (not europe or US, that is)
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      The only automatic transmission cars I know of that didn't get the sport mode were the naturally aspirated engines e.g the 3.2 and V8. I've never heard of it being an actual add-on/extra and I can't imagine it ever was offered as such.

Either it's a rebadged 3.2 or I'm guessing your car was built for some "unusual" market (not europe or US, that is)
      Mine's US spec T6. Nothing turns to an S when I move the shifter to the right, just changes right to the numbers. Also no mention of Sport mode when I look up the VIN.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillMan View Post
      Mine's US spec T6. Nothing turns to an S when I move the shifter to the right, just changes right to the numbers. Also no mention of Sport mode when I look up the VIN.
      My 2011 RD T6 behaves just like yours TheStillMan. I asked the same question many years ago that you are asking now and although I don't recall all of the details (old age syndrome!!) my understanding is that our transmissions do not have the Sport mode feature. It might have been an option for our model year but mine most definitely doesn't have it. Maybe it became standard in future years?? Wish I had it but the lack of it might have saved me a ticket or three!!!

I hope that I am wrong and someone here will set me straight.
      2016 XC60 T5 Seashell Metallic, Platinum, IPD Anti-Sway Bar
      2011 XC60 R Design Passion Red; IPD Anti-Sway Bar; Polestar Tune

That's why I sold mine and bought a 15' RD with Polestar. My 10' did not have sport mode among other options

In my C70 from the same model year using the same transmission, sportmode is an (annoying) automatic feature. If you vigorously push down the pedal, shifts will be later and faster for the next x minutes.
      C70 I 2.0 -> C70 II T5 -> the Moon?

Quote Originally Posted by Olstyle View Post
      In my C70 from the same model year using the same transmission, sportmode is an (annoying) automatic feature. If you vigorously push down the pedal, shifts will be later and faster for the next x minutes.
      The same feature still exists but it doesn't last for minutes, only for the duration of the acceleration and only if you hit the accelerator quickly. And there's also this separate sport mode on the shifter, but they're different features.
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

I used to own a 2011 xc60 t6. i got it in 2013 with 22k miles on it. I think volvo did a moderate refresh for the car in the middle of the model year. So if you car was produced in the very beginning of MY 2011, there is no S mode, which was my case. My car was purchased by the first owner in Oct 2010. I met another guy who also owns a 2011 xc60 t6 when i was servicing my car at the dealer. His car was bought at the end of MY11 and has the S mode.
      i don't think a simple software update will add the feature.

Sport mode arrived in 2013. Prior to that, the behavior is as described (i.e. its manual mode when you move the shifter). If I recall correctly, there was some controversy about this as some literature seemed to indicate sport mode would be avaialble earlier than that. When it finally did arrive, we thougt it might be retrofitted via a software update to older cars, but it was never to be. ahile later I got to drive a car with sport mode...meh, I realized I likely would have rarely used it. Our 2012 RD has Polestar from the factory so that may be why I never really missed it.

As an aside, 2013 also introduced some other transmission changes to the 6 speed (i.e.quicker shift times if I recall corrctly).
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black

cab: Seems to be a market thing. I'm pretty sure it was available on all turbocharged engines on all P3 cars. Here's a video of a 2009 S80 T6 with sports mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqda_uM4NaM
      - CrossingCountries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      cab: Seems to be a market thing. I'm pretty sure it was available on all turbocharged engines on all P3 cars. Here's a video of a 2009 S80 T6 with sports mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqda_uM4NaM
      We have it on our 2009 T6 ( originally sold in Japan). Useful when joining fast moving motorway traffic from a short on ramp.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements