ETM Redeux -or- Fool me once, shame on you . . . Fool me twice, shame on me.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ETM Redeux -or- Fool me once, shame on you . . . Fool me twice, shame on me.

Hi Folks,
      Just had my ETM replaced in my 2001 V70 T5 at ~80K about 4 weeks ago.

Idling at a traffic light this morning and had a period of really rough idling and near stall as I tried to acclerate. Is it the ghost of ETM past, or a new problem?

Opened this thread to hear from other owners about their experiences with multiple ETM failures.

Has the ETM in your car failed more than once?
      How soon did the second failure occur (mileage and/or time period)?
      Were the symptoms the same second time around?
      How has this effected your confidence in your vehicle?
      Did you think your ETM was failing AGAIN only to find out it was a different issue?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: ETM Redeux -or- Fool me once, shame on you . . . Fool me twice, shame on me. (Matt S.)

Most probably a different issue.
      Could be an 02 sensor
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Re: ETM Redeux -or- Fool me once, shame on you . . . Fool me twice, shame on me. (Matt S.)

CEL come on? If it happens again, disconnect the MAF and see if the idle gets smooth.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: ETM Redeux -or- Fool me once, shame on you . . . Fool me twice, shame on me. (gdogg16)

Nope, no CEL and I haven't gone by my Indy yet to get the codes read (code red? hee hee).

Keepin' an eye on it. So far no repeat of this precocious behavior. However a couple of "bangey, rough" downshifts/upshifts. Feels suspiciously like the prevous performance issues I encountered with my tranny . . . performance characteristics that changes suddenly in the ~35K range.

Ended up getting all sorts of firmware flashes, server-solenoid change outs, and finally a new tranny in that mileage time frame to finally resolve.

Wondering if something was overwritten or set back to default or earlier setting when the Volvo tech flashed the ETM.

The only other clues for you all are: The upper engine stabilizer mount is cracked and in need of replacement, AGAIN. And I am ready for yet ANOTHER replacement of the front sway bar links and other suspension components. (Yes, 81K and I'm an average Joe driver).

Perhaps we need a vexedwithvolvosuspension web site? Hmmm.

But back to the original question:
      How many owners have actually had multiple failures on their ETM?
      When did failure #1 occur?
      When did failure #2 occur?

Failure #1, 9/3/2003 64,000 miles, P0121 code, ETS and Check Engine Lights, some minor roughness, unstable idle at times and notchy acceleration and deceleration. No other issues.

Failure #2 11/24/2005 115,000 miles, P0121 code, ETS and Check Engine Lights, some minor roughness, unstable idle at times and notchy acceleration and deceleration and one instance of going into "limp mode", which stopped the car from moving up about a 2% hill.

Still awaiting word from dealer. Supposedly, they are awaiting instructions from Volvo though they do now acknowledge the "proposed warranty". Maybe now that it is December, they will now fix my car and I can get it back.

2019 S60 T6 AWD R-Design, 2007 C70 T5 (6 speed MT),
      2006 BMW K1200S, 2007 BMW K1200GT,
      2017 V90CC T6 AWD Inscription - wife's, 2009 V50 T5 AWD - wife's

Gone but not forgotten: 2010 S40 T5 AWD (6 speed MT) - Now my brother's, 2012 S60 T6 AWD (GT),
      1999 C70 HPT Coupe (5 speed MT), 2005 S40 T5 (6 speed MT), 1964 P544 B18

Re: ETM Redeux -or- Fool me once, shame on you . . . Fool me twice, shame on me. (CDR114)

Check out the latest posts on the topic "ETM NEWS". The dealers surely do know!

Re: ETM Redeux -or- Fool me once, shame on you . . . Fool me twice, shame on me. (CDR114)

Quote, originally posted by CDR114 »
      Still awaiting word from dealer. Supposedly, they are awaiting instructions from Volvo though they do now acknowledge the "proposed warranty". Maybe now that it is December, they will now fix my car and I can get it back.

Hey CDR114, did the dealer do the repair under warranty? Also, have you reported your dual failures to NHTSA?
      Regards,
      --Matt S.

Yes the dealer performed the repair under warranty. I also reported the failure to the NHTSA (ODI# 10144759). I have not received any letters from Volvo. Has anyone else received anything? It would also be nice to receive a refund for the repair on the first failure, though I am thankful the second one did not cost me any money. However I was without my car for over a week.
      2019 S60 T6 AWD R-Design, 2007 C70 T5 (6 speed MT),
      2006 BMW K1200S, 2007 BMW K1200GT,
      2017 V90CC T6 AWD Inscription - wife's, 2009 V50 T5 AWD - wife's

Gone but not forgotten: 2010 S40 T5 AWD (6 speed MT) - Now my brother's, 2012 S60 T6 AWD (GT),
      1999 C70 HPT Coupe (5 speed MT), 2005 S40 T5 (6 speed MT), 1964 P544 B18

No, I have not received any letters or phone calls from Volvo yet.

However, I did receive two phone calls and a letter with a prepaid shipping label from NHTSA.

Well, gdogg16 reported on 12/28 on another thread that he has experienced another ETM failure. There is another example of multiple failures.

Did Volvo ever take care of yours, Matt?
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

Re: (MadeInJapan)

Nope. My Indy fixed it, but Volvo has not reimbursed me yet. No letter yet.

Brickboarders are posting it's going to be late March or early April before such letter...wonder what the hold up is?
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

I got a call today from the DOT regarding my failure. The guy I talked to confirmed that Volvo was going to warranty the part and that they were going to componesate owners who had already paid for repairs.

I called the dealer and he gave me a 1800 number to call about the compensation.

Woman I spoke to there was very nice, confirmed that I was eligible for reimbursement, said they were sending the letters out in waves so that the system was not overwhelmed all at once. Should be getting a letter in the next month or two with information as to where send a copy of my receipt and other information to get reimbursed.

Now we wait...

Wait and See

Yeah, I hear you.
      I called customer care AGAIN! . . . and asked them when we can expect our letters. I also asked, why do we have to wait for a form letter to submit a claim? Why can't they fax us the form? Download it from the web? Geez, why can't we just scrawl one out in crayon for goodness sake?

All they need is a copy of the receipt(s), my name and address, and my VIN number!!!

This is a delay tactic to protect their bottom line.

Shame on Me! (Here we go, Number Two?!?!?!?)

Oh boy, I must have cursed myself starting this thread . . .

Coming home from a shopping excursion with my wife tonight. You guessed it . . . Check Engine Light (CEL) and "Emmission System Service Required".

Here we go again.

Re: Shame on Me! (Matt S.)

Do you EVER have anything else to talk about???
      It's becoming real boring, same old, same old...
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Re: Shame on Me! (JRL)

Yeah,
      I agree, the whole situation is getting rather old. But I don't know what is more hackneyed, my Volvo's poor performance, Volvo America's poor customer service, or JRL's blind faith and support in a manufacturer who is so clearly screwing their customers by refusing to recall a major defect in their product line.

Gotta run to the hardware store tomorrow and my wife refuses to take the Volvo. Her confidence is totally shattered. We're going to use our more reliable and safe automobile, the 1991 Honda Accord LX with 165K on it.

See ya!

I don't have blind faith or ANY faith in Volvo and their crap.
      All I said is that your redundency is getting very old and very boring.
      The ONLY reason I drive Volvos is very simple, they're about the only car seats my back can stand and they make the only wagon that is this size, with decent performance and with aforesaid seats.
      As I said, same old, same old, talk about something else

Quote, originally posted by Matt S. »
      ...our more reliable and safe automobile, the 1991 Honda Accord LX with 165K on it.

I had one of these. Sold it at 225K and it was almost as good as the day we bought it--save a little wear & tear. If I could get another one (with side impact airbags ) I'd take it in a NY minute. I think the early 90's Honda's may be the best they've ever made in terms of quality, longevity and value.

'04 V70 NA -- gone

Speaking of no blind faith, I told my service manager that I've heard NOTHING since sending in my receipts, (2 of them), 6 weeks ago.
      He replied by saying that they're still having some major problems with the system and repayments and NONE have been sent out, even the CA car owners which were supposed to be first ones to receive payment.
      Sending in your invoice will do nothingright now and until the owners receive the rebate form,apparantly nothing will happen. So, in aggreement (for once ) with Matt, Volvo is continuing to screw this up
      You would think that they could at least send out a form letter to the people that have submitted a claim stating they have to wait??????

Re: Shame on Me! (MrTippy)

I trully love my Honda almost as equally as I am beginning to hate my Volvo!!!

But this is comical, we get in the Honda to go to the store, and the poor beast won't start. I've been neglecting it and let the battey run down in the cold weather. At least the Volvo was in good enough shape to jump the 91 Honda and get us going.

Pretty pathetic that we felt safer, more secure, and more confident driving a 15 year old car with a dead battery, huh?

That tells you where we are mentally with our Volvo at this time. Perhaps if Volvo America realized how they are totally screwing up and estranging a loyal customer base with this ETM escapade . . .

Ahh, but I don't want to sound redundant .. hee hee.

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
      So, in aggreement (for once ) with Matt, Volvo is continuing to screw this up
      You would think that they could at least send out a form letter to the people that have submitted a claim stating they have to wait??????

Wow, JRL, I take that as a compliment. They really are screwing up. And it's important for people to note that the form that they are sending out really is important. The form allows them to refund you the sales tax directly. If you submit the receipts without the form, Volvo will NOT refund your sales tax. You may have to submit a claim on your own to your state to get a sales tax refund. (Good luck trying to get that. You thought getting money out of Volvo was dificult?)

OK, gotta confess. The CEL light was not another ETM. Went to my mechanic and he read the OBD codes. Intermittent coolant temperature sensor issue. Can get it replaced at my leisure, but we were in a panic that the car was gonna die any second. That's why we started tooling around in the 15 year old Honda.

I don't pay sales tax, (dealer, remember)?

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
      I don't pay sales tax, (dealer, remember)?

Yeah, well we average Joe's do pay (and pay and pay!)

Its February, anyone get a letter yet from Volvo?
      How 'bout your money?

Anyway, this one is real cute . . . check this out . . .

Just got a post card from my dealer regarding buying genuine Volvo parts. Apparently there is a sale in the service and parts department this month! 15% off any Volvo part and/or service. Here is how the copy reads:

"VOLVO for life"
      "VOLVO TECHNOLOGY KEEPS YOU ON THE CUTTING EDGE."
      "And We Build it Into Every Genuine Volvo Part"
      "SEE SPECIAL SAVINGS OFFER ON BACK!"
      "VOLVO GENUINE PARTS Nothing Can Replace Them. (TM)"

The post card is adorned by a Independent Service Technician in a uniform. His badge reads "JACK'S Import Auto Service". He has his hands on his hips and is striking a daring superman-like pose as he "flies" through the air on top of a giant integrated circuit board as if it is some high tech surf board.

On the back is an advertisement for my dealer's service group and the return address is "Dealership e-Promotions Division" in San Diego, CA.

Laughable or what?
      Volvo's inept Electronic Throttle Module design got us all in this mess. And, like Vovo's Customer Care or dealer network would ever recommend that you get serviced by an Indy.

File this under 'UGottaBKiddin'

Its February, anyone get a letter yet from Volvo?
      How 'bout your money?D

As a matter of fact, I DID Today.
      I never received "the letter", all ll I did was to write a nice polite note (requesting a refund) with my invoice for an ETM replacement from last year and in about 8 weeks I received MY CHECK!
      (Now I have to dig out the other receipt, I did 2 last year)

Re: Shame on Volvo!

Still no letter. April Fools is tomorrow!
      Spoke with Customer Care last week and they sent me a copy of the letter so that I had the assignment form. Assignment form is required to get your sales tax (or so they say).

Guess what gang, it is the exact same letter that Don Wilson posted. So the advice to copy his letter and mail in is valid.

Re: Shame on Volvo! (Matt S.)

Latest in my saga:

Had the Ol' girl in the shop AGAIN today. This time for a third set of sway bar end links and a second set of control arm bushings. That's right $573 of parts and labor (oops, forgot to mention that I was BYO on the sway bar links. Purchased the IPD heavy duty jobbers and had the Volvo dealer install them).

Fun part? Well there are actuall two fun parts. Came into the dealer asking for new struts, but was told "We never have to replace struts on Volvos before 120K, very rare. Mr S., you don't need struts, you need bushings and links" . . . Yeah you guessed it. $573 later they are telling me that I do need struts after 86K. Geez thats funny Mr. S.

Anyway, I digress. Funny part #2? Remember my CEL back in January that was intermittent? Well, it became more 'mittent' and I asked the Volvo dealer to slap on ol' VADIS and have a look see. After a rather heated 'negotiation' of the DIAGNOSTIC FEE , they decided to take into consideration the $573 worth of suspension work that I was having done and slap on ol' VADIS for a look see as "a COURTESY" (They're SOO good to me )

That's right, the code told them there was a "Long Term Fuel" thingey and that I deserved an ETM firmware upgrade. If that doesn't fix the problem, then they offered to go to the next step: deeper diagnostics of the car at my expense. Oh Joy!

Now the car doesn't accelerate well and it practically stalls at idle. Noticed it right away and called back the dealer (voice mail after being on hold 10 minutes).

With the car at idle, climate control on auto, transmission in drive, and foot on brake. Engine idles at 700RPM. The A/C compressor kicks on. Tach needle slightly deflects upward. A/C compressor kicks off. RPM drops 200 points and car nearly stalls. Violent shudder of the cabin and especially the steering wheel. Lights dim and then just as quickly the car returns to 700RPM. Wait a minute and the whole pattern repeats like clockwork.

Gee, wonder why the fan was off, the climate control was on manual overide, and the A/C was off when I got my car back? Were they trying to hear loud thunking rattle from the blown right strut assembly or were they trying to prevent me from noticing how the new ETM software upgrade causes your car to run like crap?

For the life of me, why Volvo?

Modified by Matt S. at 8:47 PM 4-19-2006

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you. I had a peek at my invoice, the long one they make you sign but don't give you a copy.

It had the chargeback detailed on their copy for the ETM code upgrade. $49.95 for the diagnostic fee and $29.95 for the ETM code upgrade. My invoice was N/A. They charge that back to Volvo or write it off as warranty work, unsure.

I was told by the service writer (cheerfully, mind you) that Volvo was picking up the tab for that work. Give me a break.

New ETM software makes the car run GREAT, just had it done on a 2000R

Re: Shame on Volvo! (JRL)

JRL,
      Saw your post re: resetting the ECM/ETM after getting your car back from the dealer. It was only after you did this that the car ran great. You said something about links to instructions, but I did not catch them.

My tranny was replaced at 45K and had all of the software upgrades done at that time for the idle/in-gear lockout thingey. My ETM went at ~81.5K and I just got the new software applied today. It is NOT running great since the ETM replacement; it IS running like crap.

Sluggish accleration. Accleration lag after pedal application. Noticeable roughness at slow speed cruising and slow accleration roll aways from a stop. The near stalling when idling.

Can you repost the proper instructions for resetting the ECM/ETM properly? I want my V70 T5 running smooth when I offer it as a trade-in!!

Thanks!

Re: Shame on Volvo! (JRL)

Oops. Sorry JRL, that wasn't you. You had posted on HowardS's thread re: "New ETM + TCM Upgrade makes a 92k mile car like new again".

Howard reported that the car only ran like new after he reset the ETM/ECU when he got the car back from the dealer.

Anyone think that it is odd that Volvo owners, I'm sorry, we're known as ENTHUSIASTS have to take such an active role in the maintenance, care, and feeding of their cars?

Maybe they're over engineered?
      Maybe the new ones aren't as good as the old ones?
      Maybe I'm using the wrong dealers?
      Maybe I should go to an Indey?
      Maybe the Volvo dealerships don't care?
      Maybe Ford ruined everything?

Maybe it just doesn't matter . . . the end result is the same. We are driving Volvos, ugh.

Hey Matt:

I did report reseting the ECU made my car run great. I have no definitive understanding of the software running in this car. So all I can do is report what symtoms and patterns I have observed.

My car had some kind of interaction between ETM and ECU. The failing ETM was putting ECU in a lower power output profile. The car didn't sputter like yours. You can just tell that ECU's fuel/spark timing, lean/rich mapping got messed up somehow by the gradually failing ETM. When I got the new ETM, resetting the ECU erased the old mapping and allow the car to adjust with the new ETM. Perhaps the car would have done this overtime anyways. I don't know.

Note I'm not suggesting you should disconnect your battery to reset ECU. I've read about damaging the ECC and possibly the engine itself. More on this in the link in my signature if you really want to know. I just thought I report my experience.

My car is running better than it ever has with a new ETM and new TCM upgrade. I read that the new ETM software makes the car run better still. Can't wait to get that recall service.

Anyways, this car is like wine because it gets better with age The software is definitely immature as evident by the great improvements from the new software. As far as I can tell, the "hardware" on this car is generally good with maybe only a few weak spots (ETM potentiometer, spring seat, brake booster, sunroof rail). It is the ETM, ECU, TCM software that is producing most of the mysteries.

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you. I had a peek at my invoice, the long one they make you sign but don't give you a copy.

It had the chargeback detailed on their copy for the ETM code upgrade. $49.95 for the diagnostic fee and $29.95 for the ETM code upgrade. My invoice was N/A. They charge that back to Volvo or write it off as warranty work, unsure.

I was told by the service writer (cheerfully, mind you) that Volvo was picking up the tab for that work. Give me a break.

It's NOT warranty work, this is a FEDERAL recall

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast