2006 XC90 high beam question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2006 XC90 high beam question

Hello. Question about the high beams on my 2006 XC90 2.5. It has the HID/Xenon bulbs but they don't seem to help. I replaced them a year ago as a pair (Philips D2R Standard Xenon HID Headlight Bulb) after one burnt out. The high beam indicator on the dash works. The lens assembly moves up and down audibly and seen aimed against a flat wall at night. There is no change in visibility though.

The assembly cut-out for a high beam is empty (no bulb on either side) but the connector has power. The owner's manual lists an H7 bulb for high beams but it is appears to be an angled H10/H11 plug fitting. I've received different responses from different dealers as well as my usual Volvo part supplier. I know the tilting angle of the assembly is supposed to change visibility and act like traditional high beams but does not actually help. All driving and fog lights work as expected, headlight knob is in the correct position, both assembly tilt motors work. Any thoughts?

I just buffed and polished the lenses and there is no significant pitting. Both sides are equally level and correct. Help!!!

Thanks,

-CMA

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

They're just simply terrible, and working as designed. My '04 had them, and I'm very glad my '06 does not. Your best bet may be to add some other type of lights, and somehow get them tied into the high beam relay. The HID headlights were the biggest complaint I had with my '04. They were simply the worst headlights I've ever experienced on a vehicle, and I've owned a lot over the years.
      2006 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, Touring, Convenience and RSE. Silver w/ Graphite
      2014 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost Elite, Tech, Pano, 20”, Rear Captains. Pearl/Black
      Past: 2008 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, BLIS, Dynaudio, Bi-Xenon. Ember black w/ Sandstone
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD 7-Passenger w/ Climate, Premium and Versatility packages and Xenon headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
      They're just simply terrible, and working as designed. My '04 had them, and I'm very glad my '06 does not. Your best bet may be to add some other type of lights, and somehow get them tied into the high beam relay. The HID headlights were the biggest complaint I had with my '04. They were simply the worst headlights I've ever experienced on a vehicle, and I've owned a lot over the years.
      Best headlights assembly for xc90 are the simple basic halogen one. I run h9 bulb in mine and light output is very good. the h11 high beams work great as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

When I first got my ‘10 the HID lights were horrible. I adjusted the height by a turn and a half on each side. Much better now. I am not sure what the differences are between ‘10 and ‘04 though.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 140k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - traded with 177k. Lost compression on cyl 5.
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

I have the same xenon HID lights on my xc90 as well. I just adjusted mine the other day. There is a good write up in another area (S40 & V50) on this topic of adjusting the lights. Mine don't seem to have good output either. But they are better now that I aimed them up. Seemed like one day they just both got worse all the sudden and aimed down at the road. I did not take them apart very far to see if something was broken. Suppose the bulbs could be bad also as they were cheapies on the internet. I didn't want to pay $100 a bulb at the store.
      -Andy

HERS: 2007 Black S80 3.2
      MINE: 2004 White XC90 AWD 2.5T
      & 1996 Dodge Ram Cummins turbo diesel 12V

Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      When I first got my ‘10 the HID lights were horrible. I adjusted the height by a turn and a half on each side. Much better now. I am not sure what the differences are between ‘10 and ‘04 though.
      The differences are day and night. The '03-'06 have Xenon bulbs with a halogen-like reflector (no cutoff). The '07+ use a projector. I'm not sure of other differences, but that alone would make a difference, as the light is more concentrated with projector housings. If the newer style uses the same bulb for low and high beam, it may have a cutoff shield that flips. If so, that's a huge difference.
      Past: 2008 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, BLIS, Dynaudio, Bi-Xenon. Ember black w/ Sandstone
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD 7-Passenger w/ Climate, Premium and Versatility packages and Xenon headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by cmarnold View Post
      Hello. Question about the high beams on my 2006 XC90 2.5. It has the HID/Xenon bulbs but they don't seem to help. I replaced them a year ago as a pair (Philips D2R Standard Xenon HID Headlight Bulb) after one burnt out. The high beam indicator on the dash works. The lens assembly moves up and down audibly and seen aimed against a flat wall at night. There is no change in visibility though.

The assembly cut-out for a high beam is empty (no bulb on either side) but the connector has power. The owner's manual lists an H7 bulb for high beams but it is appears to be an angled H10/H11 plug fitting. I've received different responses from different dealers as well as my usual Volvo part supplier. I know the tilting angle of the assembly is supposed to change visibility and act like traditional high beams but does not actually help. All driving and fog lights work as expected, headlight knob is in the correct position, both assembly tilt motors work. Any thoughts?

I just buffed and polished the lenses and there is no significant pitting. Both sides are equally level and correct. Help!!!

Thanks,

-CMA
      So jsut to set things correctly the inner "high beam" slot is used for DRL on US models only. Those do not come on when you turn the high beams on. INstead the low beam reflector shifts upwards slightly causing the light to shine farther but its hardly notisble such as you see when you use actual high beams.

ON the halogen version I beleive it is a H7 bulb and on the Xenon it is H10, im am quite sure.

Now you can see if there is a positive wire feed on the headlight connector that receives a constant 12V + source when the high beam is enabled and then you can tap into the actual headlight but I would cut the vehicle source wiring as during the day your DRLs will back feed into the high beam motor and who knows what that can do to them over time.

If you want some better lights, either upgrade to the 07-up or add auxilary hgih beam units on the bumper which will likely work a lot better for you. I bought a set off Amazon for 20$ and they put out the most foucesd light you could ever see simply perfect for high beam use.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive R-Design Exhaust (MINE)
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, fully loaded, 177k, STOCK (MOMS)
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, NAV, DVDs, 152k, STOCk (DADS)
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, (SIBLINGs) S60R Brake Swaped
      2007 XC90 V8 Dark Grey BASE MODEL 85k STOCK
      2013 GOLF Sportwagen GTD 6spd. Malone S2+ tuned 192fwhp/343fwtq.
      2013 Audi A4 Quattro. APR S2, DP, IC, E85 Tune 330hp/410tq.
      SOLD:: 2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust_

The only way I could get enough light on the road was to figure out which pin in the connector controlled the high beam and which was the DRL (needed here in Canada). I got that figured out on the harness end and since my headlight housing lenses were pitted and hazed up I chose to take a cheaper route by installing the Halogen variant. Instantly I got rid of the halogen bulbs and installed the Vled Micro LED H11 35w 6000K for the low beam and then got the SNGL Super Bright 9005 ( H10,HB3,9145 ) - 110w 12,400Lm - 6000K Bright White for the high beams. I also installed a 21.5 inch 120w light bar plus H1 HID fog lights to give sufficient light to the road. Needless to say I have a lot of errors by changing the wattage of the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      So jsut to set things correctly the inner "high beam" slot is used for DRL on US models only. Those do not come on when you turn the high beams on. INstead the low beam reflector shifts upwards slightly causing the light to shine farther but its hardly notisble such as you see when you use actual high beams.
      WHAT?!! What kind of low grade bull is this?! I haven't had the occasion to use my high beams yet as it's Summer, dusk goes on til almost 9pm, and I live in the metro area. However, later in the Summer I tend to travel to rural parts where high beams are needed and if I'm reading this correctly, I do not have actual supplemental hi-beams, but rather the normal HIDs simply point themselves higher a bit.

Like "hi-beams" as in "High" elevation but not actual output?!

I can't even being to digest how breathtakingly disappointing that is from a brand like Volvo who hails from a place where they get 18 hours of darkness during the Winter.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

I actually prefer the HIDs over the halogens that were on my ‘08. Indid need to adjust them slightly (half a screw turn) but no real complaints. It’s a system that works.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 140k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - traded with 177k. Lost compression on cyl 5.
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      WHAT?!! What kind of low grade bull is this?! I haven't had the occasion to use my high beams yet as it's Summer, dusk goes on til almost 9pm, and I live in the metro area. However, later in the Summer I tend to travel to rural parts where high beams are needed and if I'm reading this correctly, I do not have actual supplemental hi-beams, but rather the normal HIDs simply point themselves higher a bit.

I can't even being to digest how breathtakingly disappointing that is from a brand like Volvo who hails from a place where they get 18 hours of darkness during the Winter.
      My projecter HIDs on my MY2009 XC90 are fantastic. But you have to make sure they are adjusted right
      And here in Europe the inner bulb position is a second high beam halogen bulb, DRL is provided by continuous low beam operation

So check the headlamp beam height adjustment on your car

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post

The first generation Xenons did just that... nothing changed, except the lights moved upward. The '07+ use a bi-Xenon reflector, with a rotating cutoff plate. Light output is vastly better. Volvo wasn't the only company to use such a setup at the time.

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      The first generation Xenons did just that... nothing changed, except the lights moved upward. The '07+ use a bi-Xenon reflector, with a rotating cutoff plate. Light output is vastly better. Volvo wasn't the only company to use such a setup at the time.
      +1 just the way things were. I had one car that did the aim while my Acura TL has a separate halogen high beam bulb and fixed low beam Xenon.
      Me:
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 150k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 30k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km
      Family members:
      2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package) 96k km

Connect pin 1 and 6 together on the headlight harness and you will activate the high beam as European models.

Mine is 2010 with the ABL Bi-Xenon lamps.
      I have added spot lamps on the OEM Aux lamp kit and a spot beam LED bar for what I call super high beams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      SOLD:: 2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust_

I wonder why the European high beams were disabled in the states? More nanny government regs?
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Good to know they corrected the foolishness after 2006.
      Luckily my night and overall vision has held up pretty well. I infrequently have to activate my high beams, but when I do, I very much need the output and the spread.

Connect pin 1 and 6 together on the headlight harness and you will activate the high beam as European models.

Mine is 2010 with the ABL Bi-Xenon lamps.
      I have added spot lamps on the OEM Aux lamp kit and a spot beam LED bar for what I call super high beams.

Looks great!
      1)How do you like your custom eBay LED DRLs? I see they've arrived and you've installed them!

2)What are you using in the inner halogen bulb socket (the one wired up to the high beams)? Are those halogen or have you installed a brighter bulb? If so, what managed to fit while keeping the housing rubber cap on the back? I'm not sure what type of LED module will fit in there while still being able to put the cap on. I plan to use my AUX light switch and harness to control these inner lights selectively (light bars are being cracked down on in my area).

3)Any odd behavior following the DRL high beam mod? I've been following YouTube guy's blog who first did it and he hasn't had any odd effects. Won't affect me with my plans, just curious.
      Last edited by generic_volvo_driver; 05-31-2018 at 10:54 PM.
      Me:
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 150k km
      Family members:

Quote Originally Posted by generic_volvo_driver View Post
      Looks great!
      1)How do you like your custom eBay LED DRLs? I see they've arrived and you've installed them!

2)What are you using in the inner halogen bulb socket (the one wired up to the high beams)? Are those halogen or have you installed a brighter bulb? If so, what managed to fit while keeping the housing rubber cap on the back? I'm not sure what type of LED module will fit in there while still being able to put the cap on. I plan to use my AUX light switch and harness to control these inner lights selectively (light bars are being cracked down on in my area).

3)Any odd behavior following the DRL high beam mod? I've been following YouTube guy's blog who first did it and he hasn't had any odd effects. Won't affect me with my plans, just curious.

Lots of questions here so let me see if I can help you out.

1. The Ebay DRLs yes loved them since the day I got the Volvo and finally broke down and paid 150$ for a set... the one issue with them is the reflectors that direct light are sort of pointed to the side so if you stand directly in fornt of the vehicle you cant see them at all, you have to be off to the side to see the beam in full brightness so I guess they work if you are approaching an intersection and somoene is not looking this will identify you compleetly because they are bright, other than that they fit good and even though sort of low quality they were actually ok.

2. The high beam used to be halogen H11 DRL only, since then I upgraded to these fanless LED bulbs and those things are bright but as you may imagine when used in high beam situtation the beam is not focused its way more spread out so they really work good as DRL only, they dont do much as high beams in this form.
      They do fit inside with no issues too, the cap seals just fine. Stay away from the fan designed ones IMO.
      Here is a link they are 35$ on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Head...=LED+bulbs+H11
      With this mod I would get DRL bulb out once in a while when they were wired up as DRLs, now the DRL actually feeds the chineese DRLs below the headlights.
      THe original PIN 1 on the connector was bridged with Pin 6 and now when the Xenon high beams come on so do the LEDs in the high beam. I may change that we will see.

So now that the Ebay DRLs are way less powerful I get a DRL message error as soon as I start the car but I clear it and it does not come back until next engine start.
      Other than that no odd behavior at all.

3. LIGHT BAR, ahhh yessss, I used ot have 3 185W spot beam lamps on the OEM AUX light kit but since removed those and installed a LED spot beam bar from Rigidhorse which actually is a true spot beam bar so it throws a trapezoidal shape beam down a mile without any side scatter or light bleed so it works way better than any high beam set up I can come up with.
      It also has a DRL mode where there is a secod set of LEDs that light up the inside of the bar. No issues around here in MI as a lot of trucks have massive bars on the bumpers and roofs and sometimes drive with them on blinding the hell out of everyone on the road but no one seems to be paying any attention to them.

Let me know if you got any other questions that I can answer.

This is the XC finished for the summer.

Chinese DRL!

Last set up.

My fog lamps have retrofitted LEDs from Ford.

Light bar itself and output.

Lots of questions here so let me see if I can help you out.

1. The Ebay DRLs yes loved them since the day I got the Volvo and finally broke down and paid 150$ for a set... the one issue with them is the reflectors that direct light are sort of pointed to the side so if you stand directly in fornt of the vehicle you cant see them at all, you have to be off to the side to see the beam in full brightness so I guess they work if you are approaching an intersection and somoene is not looking this will identify you compleetly because they are bright, other than that they fit good and even though sort of low quality they were actually ok.

2. The high beam used to be halogen H11 DRL only, since then I upgraded to these fanless LED bulbs and those things are bright but as you may imagine when used in high beam situtation the beam is not focused its way more spread out so they really work good as DRL only, they dont do much as high beams in this form.
      They do fit inside with no issues too, the cap seals just fine. Stay away from the fan designed ones IMO.
      Here is a link they are 35$ on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Head...=LED+bulbs+H11
      With this mod I would get DRL bulb out once in a while when they were wired up as DRLs, now the DRL actually feeds the chineese DRLs below the headlights.
      THe original PIN 1 on the connector was bridged with Pin 6 and now when the Xenon high beams come on so do the LEDs in the high beam. I may change that we will see.

So now that the Ebay DRLs are way less powerful I get a DRL message error as soon as I start the car but I clear it and it does not come back until next engine start.
      Other than that no odd behavior at all.

3. LIGHT BAR, ahhh yessss, I used ot have 3 185W spot beam lamps on the OEM AUX light kit but since removed those and installed a LED spot beam bar from Rigidhorse which actually is a true spot beam bar so it throws a trapezoidal shape beam down a mile without any side scatter or light bleed so it works way better than any high beam set up I can come up with.
      It also has a DRL mode where there is a secod set of LEDs that light up the inside of the bar. No issues around here in MI as a lot of trucks have massive bars on the bumpers and roofs and sometimes drive with them on blinding the hell out of everyone on the road but no one seems to be paying any attention to them.

Let me know if you got any other questions that I can answer.
      Awesome! Thanks so much for the response and pictures!

1)Very cool, thanks for the pictures - you've got the best on the internet vs the eBay ads

2)Nice! On my 2013 they changed the socket to 9145 / H10 bulbs and disabled them. The bulbs are installed and wired but there's no way to activate them, even via CANBUS (as the DRLS moved to where the fogs were).
      Me:
      Family members:

When you say pin 1 and 6, are you talking about the 9 pin connector(10 pins, one non existent)? If this is the case, which are the pins 1 and 6 as I don't think they're numbered. Thanks!

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements