XC90 Air Suspension + Warranty
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

XC90 Air Suspension + Warranty

Hey Folks!

Trying to decide in favor or against the air suspension. I saw some older threads. I understand it's a great driving experience, but also has the risk of higher cost in the future to fix.
      My couple of questions:
      1. Is fixes to Air Suspension covered by the new car warranty?
      2. Is fixes to Air Suspension covered by the extended warranty as well?
      3. Is it possible, if it breaks, to simply replace the air suspension with regular spring suspension?
      4. Anyone had any bad/good experiences to share?

Thanks!
      Zohar.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ThePostMan View Post
      Hey Folks!

Trying to decide in favor or against the air suspension. I saw some older threads. I understand it's a great driving experience, but also has the risk of higher cost in the future to fix.
      My couple of questions:
      1. Is fixes to Air Suspension covered by the new car warranty?
      3. Is it possible, if it breaks, to simply replace the air suspension with regular spring suspension?
      4. Anyone had any bad/good experiences to share?

Thanks!
      Zohar.
      1. Yes
      2. Yes, if you get the Volvo VIP warranty
      3. Don't know, but I doubt it
      4. We test drove a V90 CC with and without and felt no need to pay the extra for the air suspension. OTOH there are a lot of people who like the load-leveling and lowering/raising features of the air suspension in the XC90. Only you can determine if it's worth it for you.
      2018 V90 CC T6 AWD, Denim Blue / Amber
      2005 V70 2.5T, Ruby Red

Worth it! For the extra ground clearance in off road mode alone. Also nice to know if you pick up a "festively plump" relative, the suspension levels the car out so you're not dipping low on one side.
      HIS: 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription/Denim Blue Metallic/Amber nappa leather/Polestar/B&W/Convenience/Air Suspension/HUD/Climate/Protection Package
      HERS: 2017 BMW X1 xDrive 28i/Olive Metallic/Canberra/Tech/Premium/Driving Assistance Plus/Cold Weather Package/Harman Kardan audio

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaBear View Post
      4. We test drove a V90 CC with and without and felt no need to pay the extra for the air suspension.
      If I am not mistaken then the V90CC can only have air suspension on the rear wheels, not on all 4 as the XC90.
      If that is indeed so, then the V90CC may not be a good way to judge air suspension on the XC90.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

You are not the only one worried about the repair cost for air suspension. My plan is to get extended warranty to cover 8 years or more if possible. Maybe it will get replaced once with warranty then run the other remaining half of its life. If it still works fine after 8 years, then maybe just let it continue to run.

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      I've personally witnessed at least 6 different cars that needed warranty replacements for a air suspension component on the XC90 in the first year of ownership, so an extended warranty is highly recommended.

Thanks all, yeah i'm considering dropping the Air Suspension because of that.

Anyone knows the approx cost of the VIP warranty plan?

Anyone knows the approx cost of the VIP warranty plan?
      high 2000 to 3000 range, depends on years/miles/deductible you choose.

I have air suspension and like the lowering when stepping out of the vehicle.

I read a comparison of air suspension and springs on a non-Volvo vehicle and the slalom performance was much better, so you would be safer.
      2016 Volvo XC90 T8

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      If I am not mistaken then the V90CC can only have air suspension on the rear wheels, not on all 4 as the XC90.
      If that is indeed so, then the V90CC may not be a good way to judge air suspension on the XC90.
      This is correct...I agree you can't judge the XC90's 4-corner air based on the V90CC as it's only on the rear wheels on that car.
      Dailys: 2015 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar - Passion Red / 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor / 2019 VW Golf R 6MT (On order)
      Fun: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 (Trailered track monster)
      Prior Cars of Note - 2018 XC90 T8 RD, 2013 C70, 2004 V40, 2005 Lotus Elise S/C, 2003 Porsche 911 C2, 1982 Porsche 911SC, 1995 Range Rover County LWB, 1964 Corvair Spyder convertible, A Bunch of Saabs
      Quote: "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" -Colin McRae

I probably will only keep my XC90 for less than four years, so I decided to get the air suspension. Great when hauling a full load of passengers. Not a lot of difference (for me) between comfort and dynamic modes, but others report a significant difference. Nice to have the extra ground clearance when in off road mode.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD (traded for XC90)
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather, air suspension, (picked up at dealer 6/22/17)
      Added Polestar 10/26/17

Hey Folks!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaBear View Post

2. Yes, if you get the Volvo VIP warranty
      According to this document:
      https://pictures.dealer.com/steingol...8b98eb37d6.pdf

Even the Platinum VIP excludes shock absorbers. I'd imagine air suspension shocks would still fall under shock absorbers and therefore no coverage?

Thanks.

This forum member had his/her air suspension pump replaced under warranty. Not sure if any other part of the sir suspension system would be covered, since VIP Platinum is a exculsionary warranty.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...warranty/page3
      Last edited by Keith22; 01-16-2020 at 01:25 AM.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements