Want to add 12 V socket in cargo area. Momentum T6.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Want to add 12 V socket in cargo area. Momentum T6.

To my chagrin there is no 12V socket in the cargo area in my Momentum even though it has all the packages (except Sport).

Never thought to ask/check as everything (non-Volvo) we looked at had one and the Volvo manual didn't have it clear that it was an option and not installed in all.

Anyways, my frustration with fuse panels continues. Still haven't found/exposed the front passenger side one and now I'm just as baffled (or stupid) about the one in the rear cargo area. If I can find that one it should be relatively easy to add the 12V outlet.

Have not ventured under the spare yet as in the manual it shows it just under the lid.
      I asked the dealer if there was an official Volvo add-on but haven't heard back yet.

Any suggestions/help to find/access the fuse box in the rear would be much appreciated.

Edit: Heard back from the dealer. Apparently the rear outlet is part of the convenience package, which is not offered on the XC60. At least not in Canada. Now I have to find that rear fuse panel
      Last edited by hwitten; 11-04-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Info from Dealer
      2018 XC60 T6 Momentum, Silver with Climate, HUD, Vision, Convenience, B&W and 4C. StealthHitch installed.
      For pics see My Photo Album - Website: http://www.smallrvs.ca

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I see that Volvo Canada has reconfigured the configuration tool. The cargo 12V outlet was part of the Incription's Convenience package, however it is no longer shown as such. Indeed, it seems that if you want 12V back there you need to get the R-Design plus the "tailored dashboard" package (for about $1,500!). I presume that there's logic to this particular combination, however I am too thick to recognize it.

For my needs an always-on 12V outlet is a "must have", but I don't want an R-Design (or a "tailored dashboard") so if this is not a mistake I think I will be looking for something other than a Volvo for my next car. I can't fathom why Volvo can't include many of the features (including a sun visor which can extend to cover the side window) which cost next to nothing and are standard on many cars which are far less expensive. Of course, I'm also unthrilled that they've dropped the heated windshield from the Climate package.

I might just hang on to my 2015 for a few more years.

Seems they dropped the 12 Volt rear outlet altogether for XC60 in Canada.
      I'm resolving the issue/short coming by installing a fuse direct to rear battery to a low voltage monitor cut-off and then to a 12volt 3 socket + USB device. My Momentum has an area next to the flat cargo floor that will allow for an out of the way install.
      It will turn out more functional than factory as it'll be hot all time, until voltage drops below 12 volts, hence should be safe to start car.

The sun visor extension, or lack thereof, was solved by adding a 20% dark spot in the rear corner of side window.

It's too bad that these had to be DIY solutions but neither would have kept me out of the Volvo. Way too many good things to bitch about a couple of shortcomings. If one waits for the perfect car one will be without wheels forever is my take on it.
      2018 XC60 T6 Momentum, Silver with Climate, HUD, Vision, Convenience, B&W and 4C. StealthHitch installed.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Project completed. As usual, project got expanded a bit as I went. Now have 3 socket gizmo with USB charging that will turn off if voltage goes below 12 volts. Another socket, just in case needed, under the trunk-lid and since I had the pigtail from the CTEK charger, that got built in under the trunk-lid too. Some pics added to My Photo Album link in signature.

In case someone is concerned about the open sockets, plugs on order

CTEK connected directly to start battery ( positive to battery, negative to frame ) with charger set on Normal for a day and Auto Start came back.

just in case anyone also missed a plug...

Decided to add it, and first idea was to add it to common place, hoping that wiring is in place, even if no plug from factory.
      This assumption was wrong.. and no wiring exist.

So after a bit of conversion with dealer, decided to change the place, not drilling left cover, but use existing one on right side (supposed for foldable towbar button), using existing wring and add fuse on 25A.

Used these parts 31324708 (plug) + 30653376 (holding ring).

Result below (and it powered in always mode, although I am going to use it always, only when needed):

And also added net as well (net part number 31484109 + clips 31675675- 2pcs, 31675676 - 2 pcs)

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements