My 2012 S60 T5 Oil Consumption Experience
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

My 2012 S60 T5 Oil Consumption Experience

Hello,

There have been lots of posts on this, but I figured I would give a synopsis of my experience. I'll preface this with the fact that I worked on both Saabs and Volvos professionally for about 10 years (1992-2002) at both dealerships and an independent. In those 10 years the only time I checked my oil level was when I was draining it for an oil change. That is how confident I was in the lower ends of the engines in those cars.

I bought a used 2012 S60 T5 with 27,000 miles on the odometer in November of 2015. It was purchased from a reputable Volvo dealer here in CT. Everything looked good on the car, it checked all of the important boxes, and the price was right. I had no prior knowledge of this oil consumption issue. About 12 months in (and after my first oil change) I took a hard right turn and noticed the oil level light flickered for a moment. I pulled over only to find no oil on the dipstick. I knew it holds 6 quarts and had oil pressure so I drove it home. I proceeded to add one quart at a time until I registered on the dipstick. 3 quarts in total. Called the dealer from whom I purchased it from. They had me bring it in to do an oil change and start the process of monitoring it. This all occurred when I was 9 months past the factory warranty. I drove it 3000 miles and brought it back in to find it was down 2.5 quarts. The dealer topped me off and put me on the "list" of vehicles to come back in and have the issue corrected under warranty. The engine now required synthetic oil.

A couple of months later I got the call and brought my car in. They had it for a couple of weeks and in the end replaced the piston rings (guidance from VCNA) and returned it to me with no cost. It was 100% goodwill. Fast forward 4 months and I was down 2 quarts of oil. I visited the dealer again and they found it was short 2 quarts of oil. They topped it off, I went back on "the list" and was told to keep an eye on the oil level. About a month later I was instructed to bring it back in. They had it this time for 4 days. In the end, the engine was replaced with a new (I assume its a remanufactured unit) engine assembly. Basically block, head, timing components. All other components (manifolds, turbo, alternator, etc) from the existing engine were fitted to this new on. I picked it up yesterday at no cost to me. Again 100% goodwill. I have to honestly say the car is night and day. The engine runs like a top and seems to also have corrected lots of the transmission jerkiness which I attributed to the nature of the 6 speed in these cars.

In the end, I have to say this is a very positive customer experience. At no point did I have to express concern or get forceful for either the dealer or VCNA to do the right thing. Now my fingers are crossed I don't burn any more oil. I really like the car and want to continue driving it.

As a sidenote, the S90 they gave me as a loaner this last time is really a nice car. So nice that I was looking at lease offers for it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had the same issue and same results and experience. Very satisfied customer here.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

The main "oil guzzler and no warning" thread is where I initially read and posted on this issue.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...and-No-Warning!

VCNA is not handling this serious matter correctly. Why not admit they have an issue and issue a recall ? My local Volvo dealer says to go in and do what sidman did. Case by case basis is how they are handling this. So I guess I will eventually go to the dealer and get those tests done.

I have read that adding oil is not the way to go as the oil burning issue may eventually affect the pcv breather hose, O2 sensor and cat converter or other vital parts. So I do need to eventually make an appt and hopefully get a loaner. Get it documented and start a paper trail.

Also interesting from all the posts is a common link. The warning will only appear on hard or sharp turns. The "oil warning" does not remain lit. The only way I will ever get this resolved is to go to the dealer. I like the car and hope to keep it a long time so I've got to take care of this before it's too late.

Either that or keep buying 5 quart $20 jugs of 5W30. A $20 jug usually lasts me 5000 to 6000 miles. Not reassuring to drive a car burning this much oil.
      Last edited by Highwayman; 11-12-2017 at 09:33 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

On the 2012s, the light is not an low oil indicator, it is a low pressure warning. Different animal. You get that light and you could be screwed already. Check your oil level every 1,000 miles if you own a 2012 T5.
      Last edited by klrobi; 11-12-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: opps

Quote Originally Posted by klrobi View Post
      On the 2012s, the light is not an low oil indicator, it is a low pressure warning. Different animal. You get that light and you could be screwed already. Check your oil level every 1,000 miles if you own a 2012 T5.
      +1

The oil light illuminates on sharp turns because what little oil is left in the sump sloshes to one side of the oil pan due to g-forces which allows the oil pump intake tube to suck in air causing loss of oil pressure.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      +1

The oil light illuminates on sharp turns because what little oil is left in the sump sloshes to one side of the oil pan due to g-forces which allows the oil pump intake tube to suck in air causing loss of oil pressure.
      Exactly! We used to refer it as a too-late light. Chances are some damage will have been done, however minor, if you see this warning. Check your oil level regularly.
      Last edited by halfast3; 11-14-2017 at 09:59 AM.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

"Teacher fired for drinking on the job. Two students expelled for fighting and insubordination. Other than that, the first week of homeschooling went great!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      +1

This explains light illuminating for only a 1/2 to 1 second flash and immediately disappearing when car is level. Will only illuminate on ramps, uphill passing situations or when engine is under stress in similar situations.

Engine code 62 burns oil. Replaced by engine code 61. First replace piston rings then replace motor.

Awaiting Approval

Yes, Oil light indicator did not stay on!

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      The main "oil guzzler and no warning" thread is where I initially read and posted on this issue.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...and-No-Warning!

VCNA is not handling this serious matter correctly. Why not admit they have an issue and issue a recall ? My local Volvo dealer says to go in and do what sidman did. Case by case basis is how they are handling this. So I guess I will eventually go to the dealer and get those tests done.

I have read that adding oil is not the way to go as the oil burning issue may eventually affect the pcv breather hose, O2 sensor and cat converter or other vital parts. So I do need to eventually make an appt and hopefully get a loaner. Get it documented and start a paper trail.

Also interesting from all the posts is a common link. The warning will only appear on hard or sharp turns. The "oil warning" does not remain lit. The only way I will ever get this resolved is to go to the dealer. I like the car and hope to keep it a long time so I've got to take care of this before it's too late.

Either that or keep buying 5 quart $20 jugs of 5W30. A $20 jug usually lasts me 5000 to 6000 miles. Not reassuring to drive a car burning this much oil.
      Same thing with me: I just happened to see the light that said: Pull over now, then it went out. If I had blinked I would have missed it.

On another note, i also have the transmission clunk problem in stop-and-go traffic. I told the servicing dept. about it a few servicing's ago and they "updated the software" and the problem got much better. (Not totally gone, but much better). That was about a year ago. Now, I notice the problem coming back. It is only in stop-and-go traffic and fortunately I don't have much of that so the transmission problem could have been increasing without me being aware of it until I got in stop and go traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy1799 View Post
      Same thing with me: I just happened to see the light that said: Pull over now, then it went out. If I had blinked I would have missed it.

On another note, i also have the transmission clunk problem in stop-and-go traffic. I told the servicing dept. about it a few servicing's ago and they "updated the software" and the problem got much better. (Not totally gone, but much better). That was about a year ago. Now, I notice the problem coming back. It is only in stop-and-go traffic and fortunately I don't have much of that so the transmission problem could have been increasing without me being aware of it until I got in stop and go traffic.
      Good thing you noticed the warning. That's the main thing. Check the oil dipstick every fuel filling (500 miles or less). Better to be safe than sorry. Mine's burns about a quart every 1000 miles. Follow up with Volvo dealer who should be addressing your concern with their corporate mothership VCNA. I just opened my case a month ago and am now documented as well. Very key thanks to the senior forum members for advising.

My guess is local Volvo dealers like getting the work because VCNA should compensate them. Not sure yet till my matter gets resolved though. Still unsettling till the engine's piston rings are changed or worse engine replacement if called for.

Still checking dipstick and adding oil as needed. Keeping the 5W30 jug and funnel handy in trunk.

That's the Way this should be Handled , before it Turned into a 10 million Dollar Fine form half the Countries in the world . Times 12 Countries at Least . .

Quote Originally Posted by sidman74 View Post
      Hello,

There have been lots of posts on this, but I figured I would give a synopsis of my experience. I'll preface this with the fact that I worked on both Saabs and Volvos professionally for about 10 years (1992-2002) at both dealerships and an independent. In those 10 years the only time I checked my oil level was when I was draining it for an oil change. That is how confident I was in the lower ends of the engines in those cars.

I bought a used 2012 S60 T5 with 27,000 miles on the odometer in November of 2015. It was purchased from a reputable Volvo dealer here in CT. Everything looked good on the car, it checked all of the important boxes, and the price was right. I had no prior knowledge of this oil consumption issue. About 12 months in (and after my first oil change) I took a hard right turn and noticed the oil level light flickered for a moment. I pulled over only to find no oil on the dipstick. I knew it holds 6 quarts and had oil pressure so I drove it home. I proceeded to add one quart at a time until I registered on the dipstick. 3 quarts in total. Called the dealer from whom I purchased it from. They had me bring it in to do an oil change and start the process of monitoring it. This all occurred when I was 9 months past the factory warranty. I drove it 3000 miles and brought it back in to find it was down 2.5 quarts. The dealer topped me off and put me on the "list" of vehicles to come back in and have the issue corrected under warranty. The engine now required synthetic oil.

A couple of months later I got the call and brought my car in. They had it for a couple of weeks and in the end replaced the piston rings (guidance from VCNA) and returned it to me with no cost. It was 100% goodwill. Fast forward 4 months and I was down 2 quarts of oil. I visited the dealer again and they found it was short 2 quarts of oil. They topped it off, I went back on "the list" and was told to keep an eye on the oil level. About a month later I was instructed to bring it back in. They had it this time for 4 days. In the end, the engine was replaced with a new (I assume its a remanufactured unit) engine assembly. Basically block, head, timing components. All other components (manifolds, turbo, alternator, etc) from the existing engine were fitted to this new on. I picked it up yesterday at no cost to me. Again 100% goodwill. I have to honestly say the car is night and day. The engine runs like a top and seems to also have corrected lots of the transmission jerkiness which I attributed to the nature of the 6 speed in these cars.

In the end, I have to say this is a very positive customer experience. At no point did I have to express concern or get forceful for either the dealer or VCNA to do the right thing. Now my fingers are crossed I don't burn any more oil. I really like the car and want to continue driving it.

As a sidenote, the S90 they gave me as a loaner this last time is really a nice car. So nice that I was looking at lease offers for it.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Just an update. I am about 5,000 miles on the replacement engine. Oil level hasn't budged.

4 oil changes since the engine replacement and still not a drop of oil burned in roughly 25K miles.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements