SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Baltimore area independent shops?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DFrantz 
#1 ·
Greetings from Baltimore! Recently received a hand-me-down XC90, which needs some professional love. I typically steer clear of dealerships for my older cars (this is a 2004), so does anyone have any recommendations for an independent shop that is good with Volvos? I have a great local shop near me (Federal Motors in Fed Hill), but they are more of a oil change and rotate tires type place.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

#2 ·
I've had great luck with Straight Line Auto Body in Elkridge Maryland. When you pull up you will see plenty of older Volvo's in the lot, a true sign that these people know how to keep a Volvo running. Their prices seem very fair and they may still allow you to bring in your own parts. This helped save me some cash a few years back when I had them replace the AC in my C70.

#7 ·
Yes and i cannot give them any sort of recommendation. Long story short my 850 died, took it to them, sprang and oil leak and the owner of the shop told me I need a new rear main seal for $2k. Proceeded to go to the shop and saw oil on top of the transmission and when he started the car I pointed to the oil dripping from the cam seal behind the distributor cap. I basically diagnosed my own car and saved mysefl about $1600, needless to say I never went back.

#8 ·
North of you a little, but Greg Flickinger in York has a good reputation. We send many of our customers there if they're looking for older Volvo's I think he used to work for us, long before I was around.

Flickinger's Auto Service
4300 W Market St, York, PA 17408, us
(717) 792-1736

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.