Steering wheel buttons not working?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Steering wheel buttons not working?

I've got an MY2016 XC90 R-Design. After recent software patches, the left/right buttons on my steering wheel that used to go between tracks and XM radio stations no longer work. The center button that plays/pauses content doesn't work anymore either.

Anyone else having issues like this? It's somewhat intermittent. Occasionally the buttons will work, but will ultimately stop again. I had a software patch back in June that gave me the "Windscreen Sensor Blocked" bug, which is when my buttons began acting up. I took it again and the windscreen issue was fixed, but I'm still having button issues...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member VolvoXC90Inscription's Avatar
      I had the same problem on the right side control module. Initially they said it's a software issue; update fixed it only temporarily. When the module was changed, it was fixed.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Onyx Black - Vision & Convenience Packages - HUD - 4C Air Suspension - Center Booster Cushion - PA2 Upgrade - Intellisafe Support Upgrade
      2001 S40 1.9T - Gold - Cold Weather Package - Leather Seats - Power Driver Seat - Sunroof/Audio Package - Fog Lights

My '17 R-design does the same thing. It always seems to work the next time I'm in the car though. The chances of it not working at the dealership are slim to none!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wvinson View Post
      My '17 R-design does the same thing. It always seems to work the next time I'm in the car though. The chances of it not working at the dealership are slim to none!
      You should still report it if you can. The more Volvo knows about problematic components/software, the more they'll focus on fixing it. It seems like reports they get from dealers on behalf of complaining customers carry the most weight.

I had this issue, but it was not a constant thing. My issue was that if I used the voice commands to change the interior temperature my tack and volume buttons would stop functioning. To get them functioning again I would have to press the menu button on the steering wheel and then the button functions would return. At my 10k service in June they attempted to correct the issue. Language from invoice:
      "The symptom is caused by a software fault in the driver's information module according to TJ 32033. Software has been updated as part of service action S39816. No further action required. Installed VDDM PBL Software Upgrade"
      The invoice further indicates Part #31483300.

It didn't work. I brought the car in a few weeks ago for some other minor issues such as an inop mirror camera and non functioning USB and included the control issue in my list of things. They told me it worked fine for them. Sure enough, it works fine now.
      2016 Volvo XC90 T8 Momentum | Luminous Sand | Blonde

Quote Originally Posted by boxy-but-good View Post
      I've got an MY2016 XC90 R-Design. After recent software patches, the left/right buttons on my steering wheel that used to go between tracks and XM radio stations no longer work. The center button that plays/pauses content doesn't work anymore either.

Anyone else having issues like this? It's somewhat intermittent. Occasionally the buttons will work, but will ultimately stop again. I had a software patch back in June that gave me the "Windscreen Sensor Blocked" bug, which is when my buttons began acting up. I took it again and the windscreen issue was fixed, but I'm still having button issues...
      You may think I'm crazy to bring this up but I was experiencing the same thing. I didn't realize that when a text message comes up, those buttons now control that text message, ignore or read out. Until I would choose one of those options those buttons would not work. Just throwing it out there. Seems like it could be a real possibility based on it being intermittent.

I had this issue and was told it was a hardware issue and was replaced. Not sure if it was a TJ or anything but I noticed the same way.. couldn't go left or right.

Same problem with my 2016 several months ago. Tried a software update without success. Then they replaced that module on the steering wheel- no problems since.
      2012 C70
      2016 XC90 T6

Same problem, 2017 T6 Inscription

I've been having intermittent button issues. The dealership hasn't been able to fix them. Finally, I've captured some of the problems on video. When a text message alert pops up in the dashboard display, I can use the left and right buttons to select "Close" or "Read Out;" however, when I press the center button to make a selection, it will not work. The only way I can remove the text message displaying in the dashboard is to use the center display to select the message and mark it as read.

At other times, I have issues with the center button. Sometimes it won't work to pause the music. Sometimes, it won't work to select items from the pop-up menu on the dashboard display. It's frustrating.

It sounds like I might need a new module, based on the posts here.

Anyone have any other advice?

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck023 View Post
      I've been having intermittent button issues. The dealership hasn't been able to fix them. Finally, I've captured some of the problems on video. When a text message alert pops up in the dashboard display, I can use the left and right buttons to select "Close" or "Read Out;" however, when I press the center button to make a selection, it will not work. The only way I can remove the text message displaying in the dashboard is to use the center display to select the message and mark it as read.

At other times, I have issues with the center button. Sometimes it won't work to pause the music. Sometimes, it won't work to select items from the pop-up menu on the dashboard display. It's frustrating.

Your guess sounds about right. So unless there's a known issue with these d-pad modules that is fixed by a software update, it probably needs to be replaced. Regardless, it's a trip to the dealer for a fix. Be persistent and since you've got a way to reproduce the error, do so before signing off on picking it up to make sure it's fixed.

As comparison, I've never had problems with my steering wheel controls. I've had a problem where almost all the buttons along the center tunnel would fail including the drive mode selector, rear climate controls, media controls, etc. In that situation, the steering wheel controls were the only way I could control media playback. Luckily the problem for me was a software issue and I haven't seen that problem in about a year now.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

Glad I found this. I just started having issues with the buttons a couple of days ago. But it's only the left button that has stopped working. The up/down volume buttons work fine and so does the right button that advances tracks or stations. After I noticed it, the button started working again later in the day for a few minutes. Then it has since gone away again and hasn't come back. Going in soon for routine service so I'll add it to the ever growing list of issues they need to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff191 View Post
      Glad I found this. I just started having issues with the buttons a couple of days ago. But it's only the left button that has stopped working. The up/down volume buttons work fine and so does the right button that advances tracks or stations. After I noticed it, the button started working again later in the day for a few minutes. Then it has since gone away again and hasn't come back. Going in soon for routine service so I'll add it to the ever growing list of issues they need to fix.
      It's really annoying! I'm bringing mine in later this week. I'm still having trouble with the buttons with no rhyme or reason. I'll let you know what the dealership says.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck023 View Post

I regularly have your first problem too. Seeing it is the only time for me the OK button do not work I was thinking more of a software issue then module. Either a compatibility issue with my old Blackberry or a Sensus bug. What cell phone do you have?
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invisihitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
      I regularly have your first problem too. Seeing it is the only time for me the OK button do not work I was thinking more of a software issue then module. Either a compatibility issue with my old Blackberry or a Sensus bug. What cell phone do you have?
      I have a Samsung Note 8. But, get this: the other day a message popped up and I was able to close it. It's an intermittent problem. Very frustrating.

I have this with some functions of the right hand side buttons since a recent software update.

Voice control rarely works.
      Press menu button and arrow right button will scroll between trip, nav, media and phone. Arrow left button will not work. Only way to go back to previous menu is to switch off ignition.
      Volume up and down always works and arrow left works with any music source to go back to start of song. This proves the arrow left button works, just not after pressing the menu button.

Ffs Volvo who tests your software?

I dropped it in for a service today and garage was reluctant to do any software checks as we are going on a road trip soon. So they gave it back unfixed and asked me to drop it back again. This usually means a week in the garage while they wait for Sweden to advise what to change, order part then back again for another day or 2 to instal and check part.

I think Volvo need to subcontract their technology dept to Tesla. Over the internet updates at home.

Dropped mine off today for 10K service and mentioned the intermittent button issue. They initially said maybe software but I just got a call and they said they ordered a new module.

Quote Originally Posted by Mx5 View Post
      I have this with some functions of the right hand side buttons since a recent software update.

Voice control rarely works.
      Press menu button and arrow right button will scroll between trip, nav, media and phone. Arrow left button will not work. Only way to go back to previous menu is to switch off ignition.
      Volume up and down always works and arrow left works with any music source to go back to start of song. This proves the arrow left button works, just not after pressing the menu button.

Ffs Volvo who tests your software?

I dropped it in for a service today and garage was reluctant to do any software checks as we are going on a road trip soon. So they gave it back unfixed and asked me to drop it back again. This usually means a week in the garage while they wait for Sweden to advise what to change, order part then back again for another day or 2 to instal and check part.

I think Volvo need to subcontract their technology dept to Tesla. Over the internet updates at home.
      One wonders how the update process will be affected with the switch to using embedded Android. Will the Android portion be able to be updated OTA or not, for example. We already know that Sensus has direct access to the CAN bus for controlling various vehicle features. So I hope their testing process is rigorous for whatever model year gets this.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

Sorry for the late update, but the dealer replaced my right module on the steering wheel and now it works! Whew!

Same here. Had to go through replacement of the buttons and the harnesses twice to sort it out finally.

I have a 2017, just had my right set of buttons replaced too

Having the same issue

Staring to drive me mad on my R-Design 2016 XC90. Cost me a two hour delay sat in stationary traffic the other day that could have been avoided if I was able to view the suggested re-route and accept the option. instead I messed the last opportunity to get off the motorway and was stuck. Every time I take it to the dealership they say there is no fault as the buttons appear to work for them. I am at the dealership today for an end of warranty check and the buttons all worked fine on the way in...what are the chances.

Junior Member VolvoXC90Inscription's Avatar
      After multiple software updates, they changed the button module a year ago (my problem was the right OK button). After one year of no problems, the problem came back. Now the service changed the button module and wires; so far it is working. I was told that there is a new TJ on this issue; so tell your service to check it out please.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Onyx Black - Vision & Convenience Packages - HUD - 4C Air Suspension - Center Booster Cushion - PA2 Upgrade - Intellisafe Support Upgrade
      2001 S40 1.9T - Gold - Cold Weather Package - Leather Seats - Power Driver Seat - Sunroof/Audio Package - Fog Lights

Mine had the same issue and was also fixed based on the TJ mentioned above, TJ32033. The parts replaced during the fix are:
      31443499-4 - SWITCH
      31443498-6 - SWITCH
      31404245-8 - HARNESS
      32131071-6 - HARNESS

After the repair, so far so good.

My Right set of steering wheel buttons failed and got replaced. About 7K miles later the same button started acting up again

Mine used to fail once on a trip where the suggested route will not take the central round button for commit. However, just once. MY19.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
      I switch my Blackbery for a Samsung S8 8 months ago and never had my issue again. Just throwing this out there just in case anyone else is using archaic old phones.
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invisihitch, Polestar

I just had the right side cluster of buttons replaced on my '16R. It wasn't that big of an inconvenience until I hooked up the boat trailer and couldn't step through the brake light check procedure.

In my 2017 XC90 after I selected an option in the Navigation popup window on the instrument cluster, I could no longer unselect Navigation and was stuck in that menu until a powerdown. Doubt it was a button issue since the buttons work for every other menu without fail but they replaced them anyways. We'll see...

Having same problem on my 18 XC90, right side buttons, voice, channel up and down. Dealer looked at it but was working fine then! They found no issues. It is happening again so brining it in again next week. So TJ32033 would also apply to mine too?
      Thanks for any more info.

Question Problems with stop/start centre button for

This relates to UK based cars

I have a late 17 build V90 (D5 R Design), the issue is that the steering wheel centre button that stops/starts the music will stop working at times (bluetooth/usb). Initially it seemed to happen quite randomly and Mill Volvo Newcastle replaced the buttons and both harnesses.

The button initially seemed to be fixed after this until I went on a longer journey with the Sat/Nav running, this caused the button to stop working again. On this occasion I noticed that pressing the menu button on the wheel solved the centre button problem for a brief time.

When I got back I booked the car in for another look, I also requested a XC90 as a loaner as I wanted to try one out. On the way home from the garage I decided to run test to see whether the issue happened on the loan XC90 (2019). Again after 20 mins of driving with the Sat Nav running the stop/start button stopped working, and again pressing the menu button fixed the issue temporarily.

2 cars with the same fault - obviously must be an issue with the phone?

Apparently not, my wife's iphone did the same again 20 mins with Sat Nav running - hers is a 6S whilst mine is an iPhone.

Could be that the Sat Nav is just a coincidence. Anyone else experienced this?

Does anyone know / have instructions on how to replace the steering wheel buttons module? I ordered the replacement, but I don't want to break something trying to do the job.

My 2016 is out of warranty and the dealer wanted almost $800 to replace this part.

My right side buttons stopped working about two weeks ago (right and left toggle, center button, and top left voice control button). I scheduled a service appointment because I’m also approaching 20k miles. Appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning and guess what - buttons started working on way home from work tonight! Does anyone think the dealer will be able to do anything tomorrow if they are working? Will they still replace the module as others have said? Would love opinions and tips...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Denim Blue/Maroon Brown Luxury, Convenience, B&W, Protection +, Air Suspension

Retired
      2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit V8 - Red/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by MASSxc90 View Post
      My right side buttons stopped working about two weeks ago (right and left toggle, center button, and top left voice control button). I scheduled a service appointment because I’m also approaching 20k miles. Appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning and guess what - buttons started working on way home from work tonight! Does anyone think the dealer will be able to do anything tomorrow if they are working? Will they still replace the module as others have said? Would love opinions and tips...
      They will replace right button module and wire between left and right button modules. per TJ32033.3.1-2018-09-18

The problem seems with connection to the right button module to the car itself.
      As the path of wiring: car > steering wheel > left button module > right button module.

Parts to be used
      31443499 — SWITCH (right button module)
      31443498- SWITCH (left button module)
      31404245- HARNESS (wire from left button to the wheel)
      32131071 – HARNESS (wire between button modules)

I managed to replace it by myself, using instruction on how to change steering wheel. Most difficult part for me was to remove airbag... to unlock it.

I have replaced all part in the list above.

Instruction taken here:
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...XC90(16-)/2016

NB, in case anyone are going to make it without dealer, don't forget to disconnect main battery before starting work.
      As in case its not disconnected and airbag removed, there will be errors shown and to delete it you need to go to dealer.

and this is how old button module looked from behind

Quote Originally Posted by MASSxc90 View Post
      Just describe the problem as intermittent pointing out that you know there is a tech note about it. If they aren't familiar with the problem, you can even give them the note number as stated by @KentXRS to help guide them to what needs to be fixed. If your dealer doesn't believe you that you have an intermittent problem and will only replace it if it is currently acting up, you might want to find a new place for service under warranty.

Same problem here... Interesting thread...
      I guess 4 model years are not enough for Volvo to resolve simple issues LOL...
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast