Just graduated
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Just graduated

Just graduated

Are there any vacancies in the organizations that you work in/for?

I just graduated this past Saturday December 17th. I have a Bachelor of Science in Business & Technology: Concentration in Digital Media with a minor in Marketing.

I do have an online portfolio that is needing some tweaking and changes to be made but it is live at the time if you want to check it out.
      *This is a Flash Site*
      http://dbeuris.hartserver.com/newsite/index.htm

Although my site and my major may refelct a more advertising/graphic-artist/marketing feel, I am capable of almost anything put in front of me.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Just graduated (Maynard)

Quote, originally posted by Maynard »

I just graduated this past Saturday December 17th. I have a Bachelor of Science in Business & Technology: Concentration in Digital Media with a minor in Marketing.

I do have an online portfolio that is needing some tweaking and changes to be made but it is live at the time if you want to check it out.
      *This is a Flash Site*
      http://dbeuris.hartserver.com/newsite/index.htm

Although my site and my major may refelct a more advertising/graphic-artist/marketing feel, I am capable of almost anything put in front of me.

Congrats and good luck

Absolutely. If you like adventure and want to "step into the blue", give your local Air Force recruiter a call. Leadership experience gained as a Military Officer is invaluable, and highly sought after in the civilian world.

Starting pay is around $40K, and quickly rises. A lot of our pay is tax free as well, and you get extra money if you live an expensive area.

Air Force will also pay for a Masters Degree while you are in, and GI Bill can be used once you get out. Win / Win situation, unless you get killed in Iraq.

2004 S60R MT Titanium/Nordkap, Premium, Comfort, Nav, Bluetooth, IMiV, ProSport
      2xCAI, BMC filter, Snabb Intake, Viva FMIC/Turbo/CBV, AEM H20 Inj, RICA Stage 3, EST DP, Mod EST Exh, GiroDisc 2pc rotors/SS lines/Ti Shims, IPD endlinks/25mm rear sway, OZ Superturismo LMs, Euro Headlights and so on...
      Link to R Kelly CAI @ IPD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Forum Sponsor universityvolvoOSD's Avatar

Maynard...

Try to get past the sarcasm and attitudes. I admire your "creativity" in making such a post on this type of forum...you DID read the "warning"?
      Let me ask you a simple question? What do YOU want to do? Think about that for awhile....write out a description of what you want to do.
      Then go find THAT job and do it with passion and commitment and integrity! Don't waste time trying to get someone interested in hiring you because they have an opening........Go out there and open the doors yourself! Make someone want to "create" a spot for you! Because you believe you are THAT good! even if you don't get the exact job you are looking for...it will help you to interview better!
      I will leave you with this little bit of insight...."Jobs can be found in the newspaper want ads....careers are found in the desire and determination to succeed!...And the real difference between a "job" and a "career" ?????? answer is .....about 20 extra hours a week!"

Good Luck young man!

Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE
      http://www.universityvolvo.com/volvo...as-program.htm

Re: Just graduated (universityvolvoOSD)

I honestly have always wanted to get into advertising. I like the idea of manipulating people's ideas and molding them into a consumer for the product you're in charge of. I generally don't think of things in the sort of fashion that most people do; call it creative vision, or just simply the old mac catch phrase "think different." I am self-driven to sell, in any form, be it media or personal selling. Ultimately i've set a timeline for myself, if i have found a job doing this by March, i'm going to go to grad school and i haven't decided if i'm going to get a masters in marketing or an MBA.

get your MBA in Marketing.............

Re: Just graduated (bpwrightwv)

DITTO BP
      Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE

yeah that sounds great and all but............the programs i'm looking at are online MBA programs like University of Florida and they don't offer the concentrated MBA programs online.

Quote, originally posted by universityvolvoOSD »
      Try to get past the sarcasm and attitudes.

Was this directed at my post? There was no sarcasm in my post. I'm very proud of my career and make a surprisingly good living now (just broke $100K a year). Not only that, I can't be fired, get full medical for my family, and I get to retire at 39 with a pension and full medical for life. At which point I'll get a nice $100K/year defense contractor job and retire from that at 59, drawing on a second pension.

I have been stationed in England, Germany, Las Vegas, Texas, California, Florida and traveled throughout Europe, Egypt, Saudia Arabia. The Air Force paid for my bachelors and is now paying for my masters. They also paid me to learn multiple languages and give me bonus money for maintaining them, even though I don't use them anymore (just in case). I belong to a organization that is bigger than myself, get to serve my country, wear snazzy uniforms and be a LEADER of people.

Only downside is the going off to war, but hey, 17K people are killed every year by drunk drivers in the US and a whole bunch more are murdered every year with guns, so I figure while being in a war zone like Iraq for 4 months is dangerous, living in Germany means I'm much safer the other 32 months of my tour.

2xCAI, BMC filter, Snabb Intake, Viva FMIC/Turbo/CBV, AEM H20 Inj, RICA Stage 3, EST DP, Mod EST Exh, GiroDisc 2pc rotors/SS lines/Ti Shims, IPD endlinks/25mm rear sway, OZ Superturismo LMs, Euro Headlights and so on...

Re: Just graduated ("R" Kelly)

RKelly...

To a degree... the beginning of my post was referencing your comments about "win/win situation, unless you get killed in Iraq".
      I figured "maynard" was a younger person, who may not have been aware of our OTF "straight forward/in your face" type of comments. I personally understood exactly what you meant, but wasn't sure if he did...and I think I have told you before how much respect I have for those who choose the military as a career..and the military heritage in my family background.
      Sounds to me that "maynard" is looking at "mainstream" employment options..I was trying to give him some insight into what perspective employers are looking for...self-confidence/creative and motivated thinking/as well as that " I can do anything" attitude.
      I didn't mean to hit a nerve or insinuate anything negative towards your career RKelly....I am very respectful and appreciative of the sacrifices you make and the dangers you face. So, please accept my apology if I offended you...that was not my intent!

Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE

yeah that sounds great and all but............the programs i'm looking at are online MBA programs like University of Florida and they don't offer the concentrated MBA programs online.

get work experience first, then start your MBA. Better yet, get a job in Gainesville, preferably with UF or Shands, and go get your MBA part-time where you can concentrate in Marketing...It's Florida

Quote, originally posted by universityvolvoOSD »
      I am very respectful and appreciative of the sacrifices you make and the dangers you face. So, please accept my apology if I offended you...that was not my intent!

Well thank you for your nice words, but people, I don't offend easily. In fact, even if something is offensive, I believe you have to choose to BE offended, and I reserve that ability to people I know and care about (not that I don't care about you, I'm sure you are a great guy )

While I'm sure Maynard isn't really interested in a military career, my original post was mostly taking the opportunity to get a laugh.

My rant in response to your post was designed to be informational to everyone about the "benefits" of a career in the military. When I enlisted, I had no intention of making it a career, I just needed to get some money for college and wanted to get the hell out of Fresno. 13 years later, I'm still in and enjoying it, and I'm constantly surprised about the advantages I've found (aside from the family seperation and dying thing). I mean, retiring at 39 and getting to go do something else, that is just awesome.

Re: Just graduated (bpwrightwv)

Quote, originally posted by bpwrightwv »
      get work experience first, then start your MBA. Better yet, get a job in Gainesville, preferably with UF or Shands, and go get your MBA part-time where you can concentrate in Marketing...It's Florida

As great as that sounds and as much of a hard time as i'll get for saying this........i'm not a huge fan of Florida. I would honestly like to keep myself somewhere here on the east coast; I like Tennessee of course, North Carolina, Illinois, and some parts of Georgia.

That was one of the benefits of doing an online MBA program from UFL they have a very respectable business school and I can do it all from here in Tennessee haha

About the work experience bit, I've been working in the same office for 8 years since I was a sophomore in high school. It's an Architectural and Construction firm, granted it's not really field related but I do have the 8 years of part-time experience in a professional working environment. Most of the schools i've contacted about their MBA requirements have told me that the 8 years of part time I have accumulated over the years is sufficient as long as i'm not doing a Professional MBA concentration.

Maynard: If you want to come to the DC Metro area, where the jobs pay higher than Tenn. (and housing costs more ) send me an email. I get a 40 or so page listing once a week of Capital Hill and Association jobs that usually is half marketing or similar positions.

cbandler AT fsona DOT com

Re: Just graduated (2k2S80t6)

I have family up there so it probably wouldn't be that bad. In all reality, I talked to my uncle fairly recently about going to work at the McDonalds corporate office there in Fairfax.

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

Absolutely. If you like adventure and want to "step into the blue", give your local Air Force recruiter a call. Leadership experience gained as a Military Officer is invaluable, and highly sought after in the civilian world.

Starting pay is around $40K, and quickly rises. A lot of our pay is tax free as well, and you get extra money if you live an expensive area.

Air Force will also pay for a Masters Degree while you are in, and GI Bill can be used once you get out. Win / Win situation, unless you get killed in Iraq.

This is 100% true.

I was given this same advice, upon graduating. Wish I'd followed it...

Navy, it's not just a job, it's an adventure.
      And, less chance of being killed in Iraq.

Re: (bpwrightwv)

Quote, originally posted by bpwrightwv »
      Navy, it's not just a job, it's an adventure.
      And, less chance of being killed in Iraq.

And 100% chance you get to be at sea 6 months out of the year, hot bunking with other men. It's not gay if you're underway.

Not only that, I can't be fired, get full medical for my family, and I get to retire at 39 with a pension and full medical for life. At which point I'll get a nice $100K/year defense contractor job and retire from that at 59, drawing on a second pension.

Actually, you can get fired (the AF prefers to call it "rightsizing" or "restructuring" - just like the civilian world). We're in the process of cutting a lot of troops in certain specialties, enlisted in officer. Plus, as an officer, you're in an "up or out" world - If you don't get promoted to Major, you can be on your can at ~12 years of service. Miss LtCol, and you could be gone at 16 or 17, with a small separation payment, no pension/benefits. Some (actually these days, a lot) are allowed to select continuation to 20yrs, but not all.

That said, I'll piggy back on your recommendation. I'm doing right well financially - in addition to my basic pay, I've got flight incentive pay, allowances, and overseas pays, not to mention the benefits. I'll be eligible for retirement at the ripe age of 42, and be quite employable in a variety of areas should I leave then.

Of course, there are significant costs to this choice (dying in Iraq certainly is one potential, as is dying during peacetime duty as some of my friends have done), but aren't there such costs in all choices?

I'm don't think that everybody needs to serve in the military, but I do highly recommend that individuals should put a few years (at the least) into something bigger than themselves. Join the Peace Corps, Drs without Borders, a missions team, Habitat for Humanity... whatever. Just get off the "what's in it for me" train for a while. Don't worry, it will be waiting for you when you get back... if you want to get back on.

If you enjoy sipping tea in the morning USAF is the 'easy' way to go. For a real career in the military Go Army.

Seriously, congrats Maynard and good luck on the job hunt.

2017 S90 Inscription (daily)
      2016 S60CC (next generation Volvo driver)
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

Re: Just graduated ([email protected])

Actually, Coffee in the morning - Tea is for the afternoon, right before your Thai massage.

Re: Just graduated (greek2us)

So THAT"S what my tax dollars are buying??? A Thai massage?
      Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE

Nah... the massage is free... it comes with every purchase of 11,500 lbs of Jet A or JP-8.

Re: (greek2us)

Thanks for the congrats, if anyone runs across anything at all tech or graphics related let me know. Just to let you know, all that has been said about the military hasn't fallen on deaf ears or blind eyes for that matter; I have 3 cousins who are significantly older than myself who have made the career military choice, one is within a year of retirement. I was seriously considering the military until I spoke with them over Thanksgiving. Two of those three have told me they wouldn't do it again........for anything but the money. 3 branches are represented by them the one in the Navy is the only one who said he'd do it again. My other two, one in the marines and another a chinook helicopter pilot for the army, said they would not make the same choice and advised me against enlisting.

Re: (Maynard)

Web Graphic Designer

Veteran online media company seeks web graphic designer. Candidate must have strong grasp on design and visual communication. Candidate should also be well versed in HTML/CSS and Flash. Motion graphics also a plus. Submittal of a design portfolio is required. Candidate's review will be based 70% on design skills and 30% on coding experience. Experience with other languages (Actionscript, Javascript, MYSQL and PHP) is a plus, but not necessary.

Email: [email protected]
      Address: 123 W. Jackson Ave Ste 201
      Knoxville,TN 37902
      Phone: 865-584-9740

http://jobsearch.monster.com/g...ine=1

Re: (2k2S80t6)

Yeah, I actually saw that.........i'm by no means a coder. Otherwise i'd jump all over that. I can do some actionscript but very limited html and no css.

Awaiting Approval

jobs

Nice to see this post here and thanks for sharing this to us. Get more about IIT Bhilai Recruitment details here to apply.

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements