CDN XC90's build thread - Page 6
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
      G-48 is correct. Also, the OEM Euro from CT is also compatible. G-05 is also compatible and is almost identical to G-48, you can mix the two without worry.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/o..._wcB#store=182

Currently using the linked above. Cheap and readily available.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for confirming.

I used the rear drain nipple as I wasn't having much luck getting the skid plate off to access the radiator drain plug...

Drained, then filled with distilled, got it warm, drained and filled with distilled again. Got it warm again but as it was pretty clear on this third drain, I put in 50/50 G48 mix. Only took 4L though. I must have had more water still in system so for the top ups, I'll plan to use straight coolant.
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Contrast Works Stage 2 tune with Eco Enhance mode, Snabb fresh air pipe and downpipe, custom triple resonated catback, HEICO (BMC) sport air filter, Bilstein B4 front struts with HEICO rear struts and lowering springs, IPD Swaybars, strut brace conversion kit, and subframe bushing inserts. Fast FC05 20x8.5 with 255/45/20 Conti DWS06. Falken HS449 235/65/17 winters. JL 500/1 with Pioneer TS-SWX2502 subwoofer under cargo tray. LED low/hi beams, Tuxmats.

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
      Why not use Genuine coolant? It's cheap, and REALLY good.

-Ryan
      Volvo coolant is really expensive in Canada. Reading the MSDS sheets and comparing the options I'm happy with the Canadian Tire Diesel coolant.
      I look after a lot of vehicles in my (extended) family as a hobby, so being able to stock a single, very high quality product makes things easier.
      I would use the Can Tire OEM brand or Zerex if I wasn't trying to single stock coolant.
      We've been running the Canadian Tire Diesel coolant in my buddy's (a mech engineer) turbo race Miata and have been really happy with the industrial analysis report we got from it. Probably will convert the 300ZX Turbo before the new year.
      When the XC60 hits 10 years I'll do it too / re-evaluate.
      We also have very mild winters where I live, rarely below freezing.
      Last edited by generic_volvo_driver; 12-22-2019 at 04:09 AM.
      Me:
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 150k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 30k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km
      Family members:
      2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package) 96k km

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by generic_volvo_driver View Post
      Volvo coolant is really expensive in Canada. Reading the MSDS sheets and comparing the options I'm happy with the Canadian Tire Diesel coolant.
      I look after a lot of vehicles in my (extended) family as a hobby, so being able to stock a single, very high quality product makes things easier.
      I get it now. I always forget to check where folks live.

The genuine coolant is almost dirt cheap, south of the border here in the US, at $20/gallon of concentrate. We're an (almost) all Volvo family here, so all the cars get the genuine stuff.

I will say that Volvo says the XC90 coolant is a "lifetime coolant" in the owner's manual, which just can't be true. Most P2 XC90's were made before Volvo switched up the formula a little 2014-ish.

-Ryan
      Current fleet:
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1991 Volvo 745 Dog Waggin' 2.0
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD
      2013 Volvo XC60 3.2 AWD (Wife-mobile)

The coolant system needs repairs often enough that you really don't need to worry about a change interval.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

Finally got rid of the drone. Now triple resonated.

2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Contrast Works Stage 2 tune with Eco Enhance mode, Snabb fresh air pipe and downpipe, custom triple resonated catback, HEICO (BMC) sport air filter, Bilstein B4 front struts with HEICO rear struts and lowering springs, IPD Swaybars, strut brace conversion kit, and subframe bushing inserts. Fast FC05 20x8.5 with 255/45/20 Conti DWS06. Falken HS449 235/65/17 winters. JL 500/1 with Pioneer TS-SWX2502 subwoofer under cargo tray. LED low/hi beams, Tuxmats.

Hey CDN XC90, I’ve read through your build thread - great build!

I saw that you did the silicone fresh air pipe (MAF to Turbo). Did you ever look into doing the other charge air pipes: OTE, intercooler to manifold, etc? Wondering if any of those will fit the XC90’s intercooler arrangement.

I’ve just done a Stage 1 tune, and planning to install a DP and 16t with a Stage 2 tune. I’m hoping to learn from your experience as to what else I should do? I’m pretty scared away from doing a custom exhaust based on your thread!

@contrast advised exhaust will yield negligible difference, the downpipe is the most important aspect.

I hadn't really looked into other supporting mods but during the tuning process, it was evident how important an intercooler is when viewing the intake air temps...

Quote Originally Posted by generic_volvo_driver View Post

I think each dealership have their own prices here. In Montreal, the nearby Volvo dealer sells the gallon of concentrate coolant for 31$ ($35 tax incl). Just have to mix with another gallon of distilled water ($3 from Wally) and get 2 gallons of coolant mix for under $40CAD. The thing is Can Tire sells the premixed coolant for European cars (the so called OEM brand) 1 gallon for $19,99CAD + tax = $23CAD. So two gallons comes to $46CAD, already more expensive than the genuine mixed with distilled water. Sometimes is actually cheaper to buy from Volvo - well actually it's pretty rare but it happens, but it will depend on the dealership prices

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6