SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

HunteR’sBuilD

40K views 378 replies 41 participants last post by  HunterBD 
#1 ·
I feel it is time to start a build thread. I've owned my 05 VR GT for a year now. Big difference from my 00 V70XCR I built. Let's face it, I'm a wagon man. Some people feel a sedan is better. I say to each his own.

First step in my build is to make a solid foundation. Suspension and new components are in order. I only use OEM from FCPEuro. I am stuck between KW coil overs or Bilstein conversion. Sways will be iPD and of course ViVA Performance braces and other upgrades to enhance the handling.

I have the UR front upper brace and the VST rear brace installed. Now I can feel how the shocks just don't cut it. Too hard a drive in advanced & DSTC off.

I plan on fabricating a Haldex & better trans external cooler. I saw a thread where a Russian caR owner did this for his haldex. My dad always said the heat kills and the rear end is what makes this caR a performer.

I have the original engine in the garage with an unknown cooling issue and currently have a solid 04 installed.

The engine will be next after I make sure the suspension, Trans and drive train is rock solid.

My 05 Engine will be Built with ViVA performance parts. It will be a complete rebuild. I find in my year of reading I can build a 400+ hp car with Connor and his products. Totally awesome.

Updates to follow.

See less See more
#289 ·
The polished worked great on some spots. It needs another coat in other areas. Just sent the wagon off to be inspected. Didn't do the front sway or exhaust. I'll do that after inspection. I just want to drive this beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#292 ·
Let's go Hunter. I need someone to Cruze with.
Totally will. I'll be in your area when it warms up and they let us out of our houses.....

#291 ·
Passed inspection with no issues found. Now I am packed for the mountains till this pandemic clears. Later gators.

#294 ·
I got one! You in the northeast? I work near @ZZZZZZZ

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

#296 ·
I’m near the Yuengling Factory in PA. Beer is always fresh. Road tripping is no problem in the VR. Know what I mean? LOL

#297 ·
I'm near the Yuengling Factory in PA. Beer is always fresh. Road tripping is no problem in the VR. Know what I mean? LOL

Nice! There are so many rad breweries springing up in PA (and some old goodies)

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black

#298 ·
UPDATE:The rear suspension refresh is incredible! Best update yet. I threw the car into a 90 degree turn coming down a hill and then accelerating at about 30 mph. Car stuck with the line and didn't jump, sway or slide out.[emoji1690]

#301 ·
Car goes in next Tuesday for following. I am supporting my local mechanic. Business is slow. I have some $$ set aside for other car projects that can help him.
2 Front Wheel Hubs
1 iPD front sway
1 iPD subframe inserts
1 EST 3" Downpipe
1 EST Touring exhaust.

#302 · (Edited)
Getting goosebumps on this install. I'll also install the dougy external oil/Trans cooler. That way everything will be complete at once.

#304 ·
That’s 4 3/4 inches so they should suffice. What is the total weight the bar holds? That is what matters. Mounting points are visible in the engine bay for the V70R. One on the upper right by the head and the other by the alternator. Just follow the videos available on YouTube on how to support the engine before you drop the subframe. Easy peasy.

#307 ·
Dave, sorry for the late reply. I can’t answer the question completely as I haven’t used the bar yet. It did seem long. It is only one inch less on each side for the one your looking at. Sounds like it should work.

#308 ·
So I stopped off at the mechanic for an update. First words are, “where is this car from?” I said Minnesota area. He then said they had to use the blowtorch on all 8 bolts for the wheel hubs and the down-pipe. Explains the rust on the components. That is one job I couldn’t have done in my garage. I pick it up tomorrow so I’ll let you know how she drives and sounds.

#311 · (Edited)
Everything is in and looks and sounds great. The muffler quieted down a bit after a 70 mile drive to the mountains. I no longer get a vibration in the steering at high speeds. The Wheel hubs were shot. The car hugs the road, corners on rails with no sway. It is a new VR on steroids. I now hear the turbo spooling and the DP with exhaust upgrade. Once the FMIC with recirc. valve and cooling goes in then I can go to Stage 2.

One problem was the EST DP didn't mate up well with the Touring exhaust. The holes didn't align. Took two bits to drill the holes so they would align. It took my mechanic about 45 minutes and he was like WTF metal did they use? Hard as @!$%.

On a side note he does the Lemon race and has a sweet turbo Miata with a turbo that can't keep the bolts on. They keep backing out from the heat. He is #556 if you want to see how he drives.

#312 ·
One problem was the EST DP didn't mate up well with the Touring exhaust. The holes didn't align. Took two bits to drill the holes so they would align. It took my mechanic about 45 minutes and he was like WTF metal did they use? Hard as @!$%.
Interesting. I've been waiting a month now for EST to ship my DP and touring catback. This isn't my first time hearing their DP not fitting correctly. Seeing this again makes me think I should cancel my order and go a different route.

#313 ·
In the end it is worth it. Sounds insane and the turbo spool is much better. I bought the DP and exhaust about 2 years ago and have been waiting to install it. The match up might have improved by now.

#314 · (Edited)
Developed a slight exhaust leak at the turbo with their paper gasket. Installing the OEM next week, which should correct it. Well not really the turbo doesn't fit in the fire ring by about 2mm.

#317 ·
It’s just the down-pipe that is the issue That being said the cat back touring exhaust has a great tone in my VR. That is why I chose EST exhaust to begin with.

#318 ·
I have really enjoyed this ride but it’s time. I am moving on to the next level. 2015 V60 R-Design Polstar. I will wait for one and drive MY10 C70. I have loved this VR and hope the next person loves it as much.
It is one hell of a ride.
Stay tuned.

#322 ·
Wait - what?!?
I have really enjoyed this ride but it's time. I am moving on to the next level. 2015 V60 R-Design Polstar. I will wait for one and drive MY10 C70. I have loved this VR and hope the next person loves it as much.
It is one hell of a ride.
Stay tuned.

#324 ·
That is what the guy at EST said with his. I must have gotten a bad pipe that missed QC. Nice, isn't it?

#323 ·
Yes, I will be selling her. I missed out on driving a new VR and I've done better with this build. I can now appreciate how this car was when it came out. I enjoy the ride but my partner can't handle the power and cornering. She is a disabled firefighter. It is too much for her so I have to find something newer, or older like a 50's Pickup. [emoji41]

#325 · (Edited)
This is what replaced the VR. The BX also has a front end loader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.