Rear Trailing Arm Bushing... replacement needed
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Rear Trailing Arm Bushing... replacement needed

Went for a 4-wheel alignment check... left without the alignment but with report that the "rear trailing arm bushing" on driver's side was shot. Advice was also to replace passenger side bushing as well. Quote was just shy of $1100 for both... that includes 7 hours of labor. This is a large indie shop specializing in Volvos as well as other European makes.

Car is 2010 S80 T6 with just over 80,000 miles.

Curiosity questions... anyone else out there have this problem and at about what mileage? And what do folks think of the price for the work. I'll likely also get a quote from a Volvo dealer (an verify that the lifetime warranty applies to work like this) and another, smaller independent shop.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I paid about $500 USD to have both replaced at a Volvo dealer about two years ago. Maybe look for a second quote?

Yes, this is a common problem. I think the metal bracket is prone to rust which makes the rubber wear out or detach. Not too sure of the specifics but I do know they introduced some sort of a plastic cover/shield from the factory around MY12-MY13, which is also included when the bushings are replaced and should help prevent it from happening again. As for mileage mine had 50-60k miles and was nine years old. Mechanic I spoke to was surprised over that saying that it usually happened at twice that mileage or earlier on cars that had been driven in, err, more rust-prone climates. Guess I had bad luck.
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

The sleeve of the bushing on mine was rusted through. I ended up pressing out the old bushing and pressing in a new one. They're about $50 a bushing. Removal is very simple. It's just a bunch of bolts. I ended up removing all the rear suspension components are pressing in new bushings into all the metal components. I think it's about 2 hours of labour for both sides if the indie shop does it, plus the cost of parts.

This is the part that needs replacing
      Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, the rust factor was mentioned yesterday as the reason for failure. I'm in southeastern Michigan where no amount of salt is too much to use in snow and ice control. Good news on the new covering to prevent future failure. One of my questions Monday when I stop for a dealer quote will be whether or not repair to this part is covered by the "life-time warranty to the same owner" repair warranty that Volvo started a year or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      I paid about $500 USD to have both replaced at a Volvo dealer about two years ago. Maybe look for a second quote?

Yes, this is a common problem. I think the metal bracket is prone to rust which makes the rubber wear out or detach. Not too sure of the specifics but I do know they introduced some sort of a plastic cover/shield from the factory around MY12-MY13, which is also included when the bushings are replaced and should help prevent it from happening again. As for mileage mine had 50-60k miles and was nine years old. Mechanic I spoke to was surprised over that saying that it usually happened at twice that mileage or earlier on cars that had been driven in, err, more rust-prone climates. Guess I had bad luck.

Thanks for the image. The two hour repair time is much lower than the 7 hours on my quote yesterday. Will be interesting to see what the dealer time is. Nice to at least see that the part itself is not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ieatglue View Post
      The sleeve of the bushing on mine was rusted through. I ended up pressing out the old bushing and pressing in a new one. They're about $50 a bushing. Removal is very simple. It's just a bunch of bolts. I ended up removing all the rear suspension components are pressing in new bushings into all the metal components. I think it's about 2 hours of labour for both sides if the indie shop does it, plus the cost of parts.

This is the part that needs replacing

I changed one myself. Not easy
      You need special tool I did not have.

Same thing happened to my S80, after five Canadian winters and 45,000 km. Couldn't do a wheel alignment until the bushings were replaced.

Mine was covered under CPO warranty so I'm not sure about the cost, but the invoice suggested 2.4 hours of labour.

Thanks for the note on time... 2.4 hours + the earlier note on 2 hours gives me a comparison point when I visit a dealer on Monday... and of course, much lower than the 7 hours on the estimate I have in hand. That adds up to something a fair bit lower than $1100. Ontario and Michigan winters do have a fair bit in common.

Quote Originally Posted by don67 View Post
      Same thing happened to my S80, after five Canadian winters and 45,000 km. Couldn't do a wheel alignment until the bushings were replaced.

Mine was covered under CPO warranty so I'm not sure about the cost, but the invoice suggested 2.4 hours of labour.

Had mine replaced last week. Took them about 3 hours. Huge diverence driving with the new ones. Mecanic told me a lot of volvo's are driving with worn out bushings without knowing it.

Are you sure they didn't quote you new arms? 1100 for only the bushings is way to much. Good luck.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk

Just checked the quote/estimate and it is for the bushings only... it does include an alignment after replacement so that accounts for an hour of the 7 hours labor included. I'll report back on the dealer quote on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
      Had mine replaced last week. Took them about 3 hours. Huge diverence driving with the new ones. Mecanic told me a lot of volvo's are driving with worn out bushings without knowing it.

Are you sure they didn't quote you new arms? 1100 for only the bushings is way to much. Good luck.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk

You can buy the FEBI brand for $42.19 or the Lemforder brand for $35.34.

Both come with a lifetime warranty through www. fcoeuro.com.

I didn't have the special tool, so I took the whole arm off and used my shop press. I used deep sockets to get the reach I needed to press them out and press new ones back in
      Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

Two dealer quotes for trailing arm bushing replacement

Back from visiting one dealer... and called another... both in metro Detroit. One quote was $236.70 for parts, $674.55 for labor, $130 for wheel alignment.... so $1041.25 total. From the dealer called... $930 parts and labor + $100 for the alignment for $1030 total. And to repeat my OP, the first indie quote I had was for $1093.50.

So for sure everybody is pretty much the same. On my dealer visit, we confirmed that the bushing repair is covered by the "life-time" warranty to the same owner for parts and labor. So that's an advantage to having it done at a dealer. (Although the first service rep didn't know about the warranty, a 2nd said only the parts were covered... but the service manager pulled out a list of "wearable" parts that are not covered. Bushings were not on the list.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bestbob View Post
      Ontario and Michigan winters do have a fair bit in common.
      Yeah, tons of salt + mild spells + the occasional plunge down to minus 30. Not the most hospital environment for metal, plastic or rubber.

When I installed mine, I was wondering/debating weather I could fill in the voids with some polyurethane. I wonder how it would change the feel and handling of the rear end

Lifetime warranty on bushing almost warrants the insane cost since it's not yet clear if the added plastic covers will prevent it from happening again (not enough time has passed since the covers were introduced to tell with certainty if they help)
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

Back from visiting one dealer... and called another... both in metro Detroit. One quote was $236.70 for parts, $674.55 for labor, $130 for wheel alignment.... so $1041.25 total. From the dealer called... $930 parts and labor + $100 for the alignment for $1030 total. And to repeat my OP, the first indie quote I had was for $1093.50.

So for sure everybody is pretty much the same. On my dealer visit, we confirmed that the bushing repair is covered by the "life-time" warranty to the same owner for parts and labor. So that's an advantage to having it done at a dealer. (Although the first service rep didn't know about the warranty, a 2nd said only the parts were covered... but the service manager pulled out a list of "wearable" parts that are not covered. Bushings were not on the list.)
      If you purchase the parts on line from Tasca or another Volvo dealer and bring them to your Volvo dealer to be installed you have the warranty. I published a copy of the email I got from Volvo Customer Service around April/May 2016 here. That may save another hundred or so bucks.

I showed my dealer the on line price, and asked them to come close. They usually told me to bring the parts in. The catch is that the Tasca receipt has to be noted on the labor invoice so VCNA knows the two receipts go together.
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

I'm a bit late here, but I have a squeak coming from rear driver side, and I had them look at it last time I was at the dealer. They told me the same thing many are saying here - $1,100 out the door to do both right and left trailing arms.

I have a 2009 S80 with about 155,000 miles on it. Since it's not a safety issue at the moment, I'm probably gonna wait a while.

Buy the special tool!

Went for a 4-wheel alignment check... left without the alignment but with report that the "rear trailing arm bushing" on driver's side was shot. Advice was also to replace passenger side bushing as well. Quote was just shy of $1100 for both... that includes 7 hours of labor. This is a large indie shop specializing in Volvos as well as other European makes.

Car is 2010 S80 T6 with just over 80,000 miles.

Curiosity questions... anyone else out there have this problem and at about what mileage? And what do folks think of the price for the work. I'll likely also get a quote from a Volvo dealer (an verify that the lifetime warranty applies to work like this) and another, smaller independent shop.
      I'm coming in late as well . . . but I'm in the middle of replacing the bushings on our 2008 V70. It's not a terribly difficult job, really. But you absolutely need the special tool to press the new bushings in. I tried with clamps and spring compressors, to no avail.

I've ordered the tool on eBay - from the UK. There are none available in North America, but lots of options from the UK. I think this is because there are lots of Ford Smax and Mondeo cars not sold here that are using the same rear suspension as the P3 Volvos.

The tool will be about $280 Canadian including shipping. Two bushings were about $150 from a dealer. Another dealer wanted $900 plus tax to replace them (although this may have included an alignment), so I should still be saving over $400. I would say that 2.4 hours labour with the tool would be about right. There is no need to remove the arm from the car to use the tool.

What`s funny is you can buy a whole new arm with bushing installed for $294 from Tasca. Save you a lot of time and messing around with bushing tools
      https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...QtNGwtdjgtZ2Fz

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      What`s funny is you can buy a whole new arm with bushing installed for $294 from Tasca. Save you a lot of time and messing around with bushing tools
      https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...QtNGwtdjgtZ2Fz
      That's definitely another option. It might save time, and you'd avoid having to buy the tool. It would not be cheaper, as that amounts to nearly $800 Canadian plus shipping for two arms. There would be more labour involved in disassembly and re-assembly, since you would be switching over the wheel bearings, brake parts, etc.

Oye....

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
      That's definitely another option. It might save time, and you'd avoid having to buy the tool. It would not be cheaper, as that amounts to nearly $800 Canadian plus shipping for two arms. There would be more labour involved in disassembly and re-assembly, since you would be switching over the wheel bearings, brake parts, etc.
      I just bought the press tool from the U.K. $205.00 shipped
      OEM bushings from FCP Euro $56.00 shipped

I'd like to help members avoid the purchase expense of this press tool by loaning it out to those in need.
      I'm in western NYS.
      HMU.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements