Forgot your password?

Thread: Languages

Languages

Heard this at work the other day...

Person who can speak 2 languages - bilingual

Person who can speak 3 languages - trilingual

Person who can speak 1 language - American

Funny, in a tragic way.

Anyhow, which languages do you speak, and at what level? Instead of the different numerical proficiency levels, I use this system.

Familiarity - Can recognize the language, use a few greetings, etc.

Market - Could go to an open-air market where only that language is spoken and could accurately buy (with exact change) what I needed without too much pointing.

Survival - Could be dropped in a town where only that language is spoken, get directions to, arrange, and procure transportation, shelter, food, clothing, and other basic needs for an indefinite length of time without losing weight or health.

Functional - Can participate in a random conversation on common topics with more than one native speaker at a time.

Fluent - Could do the same in a crowded setting, only needing to get explanations for specialized or uncommon words.

Native - self-explanatory.

Based on this, I'd say:

"USA-ian" - Native. My POHMmie friends say it's definitely not English.

Italian - Survival + (I'd gain weight). Currently studying.

French - Survival

Modern Greek - Market +. Getting better, but very slowly. Currently working on Koine Greek also, but that's about as useful here as Chaucerian (maybe Elizabethan) English.

Thai - Used to be pretty good, evidently, but then moved away for 20 yrs before returning - didn't move beyond Market proficiency during the month I was there.

Lots of familiarity level - I can probably get lost nearly anywhere in the world, but only find my way back in a few places.

I'm hoping my kids will be better - currently they're studying Italian with me, as well as playground Greek. One wants to start Spanish when we get back to the US - I'm all for that.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Languages (greek2us)

Swedish - Native.

English - Functional. I guess I could write it fluently, but when I´m speaking, my mouth doesn´t obey me.

German - Survival

Norwegian - Don´t know what to say here. I can´t speak it that good, but I wouldn´t have any problems talking to a norwegian and he would understand everything I say, and I would understand him.

Danish - Almost the same as above. Needs more of an effort from me though.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Languages (2k2S80t6)

Sorry - predates my time in the forum!

Re: Languages (greek2us)

Didn't mean it as a dig, just to direct you to previous repsonses. I guess I could have been clearer.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements