Brake sticking issues on P3 Volvo's.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Brake sticking issues on P3 Volvo's.

Ok, I don't usually post out side of the R forum, but I bought my wife a 2010 Volvo XC60 T6 about 6 months ago. Now I'm almost 100 percent sure than the XC60 and S60 share a ton of parts(besides the body). Trying to cross post this to see who has had to deal with these issues.

I remember some one saying that sticking brake calipers was pretty common issue for P3's along with the other issues like the engine oil consumption issues. Now that I'm working on my wife's brakes, I can't find any info anywhere about the caliper sticking issues.

Right after we bought the car, the back brakes started sticking and ruined one of the back rotors/pads. Probably 90,000 miles on the odometer. Now here we are six months later and I have to do the Front brakes because one of them is stuck on and grinding the rotor and pad down to nothing.

What's happening to the brakes is the caliper gets to the point where it says stuck on and won't release the brake rotor. After a while the sticking gets worse and turns into straight up grinding. It gets worse and worse until the brake rotor and pads are worn down and ruined. When I did the rear brakes about 6 months ago, it was the worst I've ever seen a brake pad and rotor worn down. The pad actually broke in half and got stuck.

Is there some sort of TSB from Volvo on the P3 brakes getting stuck and grinding down and ruining the rotor and brake pads? The last thing I want to do is put the car back together after doing the brakes and find out there was something I'm supposed to do that I missed.

When I did the rear pads and rotors about 6 months ago, I just followed the All Data DIY info I have and did the brakes with new Centric rotors, Akebono pads, a bunch of the CRC Silaramic silicone brake grease. I cleaned every thing up super clean and put it all back together. When I had the calipers off the car, I couldn't find any thing wrong with them. The caliper seals all looked in good shape. I cleaned them up super good and put them back on the car. Used the wire brush on the 18v Milwaukee Impact. Torqued every thing to Volvo OE specs listed in AllData DIY. Reset the electronic parking brake ect.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05361-Sil.../dp/B0091KCG0W

I've spent time searching Google, Swede Speed, All Data DIY, ect. I couldn't even find one mention of the P3 Volvo's doing this.

Is this just one of those things that there is no "fix" for yet and I will just have to live with the car wearing out the brake pads and calipers way faster than it should?
      2004 V70R m/t Parting Out see classifieds https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...per-spare-tire
      2006 V70R Sonic Blue A/T new!
      1994 Nissan 300 zx twin turbo

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I’ve never heard of such issue on P3's.
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Marker View Post
      I’ve never heard of such issue on P3's.
      They front brakes on my wife's 2010 XC60 T6 are sticking so bad right now that caliper won't release from the rotor at all when you drive now. I'm about to tear into it this weekend and just tottaly refresh the front brakes with new rotors & pads, and grease everything up good.

The drivers side is fine, but the passenger side is way way bad. It makes the terrible noise that they make when grinding down all the time.

The sticking started off just like what you have, not that bad but a just a little annoying. Then it gets worse and worse over time.

The back brakes did the same thing about 6 months ago. When I pulled them apart, the friction material on the brake pad was totally gone and worn down in to the backing plate. I have pictures of what it looked like all worn down, I will have to dig through my photos and find them.
      2004 V70R m/t Parting Out see classifieds https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...per-spare-tire
      2006 V70R Sonic Blue A/T new!
      1994 Nissan 300 zx twin turbo

Quote Originally Posted by spinall4 View Post
      They front brakes on my wife's 2010 XC60 T6 are sticking so bad right now that caliper won't release from the rotor at all when you drive now. I'm about to tear into it this weekend and just tottaly refresh the front brakes with new rotors & pads, and grease everything up good.

The drivers side is fine, but the passenger side is way way bad. It makes the terrible noise that they make when grinding down all the time.

The sticking started off just like what you have, not that bad but a just a little annoying. Then it gets worse and worse over time.

The back brakes did the same thing about 6 months ago. When I pulled them apart, the friction material on the brake pad was totally gone and worn down in to the backing plate. I have pictures of what it looked like all worn down, I will have to dig through my photos and find them.
      Also had the front passenger side stick on my 2014 T6 at around 65,000 miles. Inside pad was gone, outside was at 1/4" easy. I caught it just as it started grinding so the rotor was salvageable. There was no lube to be seen anywhere... probably dried out. I applied a ton of fresh hi temp silicone there. Hope that'll prevent it from happening again.

2014 XC60 T6 Sport Pkg
      2008 C30 v1 Manual

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements