Upgrade Swaybar Bushings?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Upgrade Swaybar Bushings?

I'm not finding much info on this. Can you upgrade the front swaybar bushings on the P1? I have a 2006 V50 AWD T5 M66.

I found these, but reading older threads about them not being replaceable on these cars.
      https://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/...iABEgJVG_D_BwE

I can swap these without buying a new sway bar, right? Hoping these will get rid of some of the suspension noise (creaks and squeaks) I hear when it gets cold out.

Also found this kit.
      https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5296...ar-bushing-kit
      '06 T5 AWD V50 6MT - stock

'99 Ford Contour SVT - not stock

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How old/how many miles are on the LCAs/bushings? I'd suspect that as the cause before the sway bar bushings.

BD

'04 XC90 T5 AWD, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5, '13 C70 T5 ('94 850 Turbo & '05 S60 T5 FWD R.I.P.)
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

Yes you can upgrade them. There are different methods and means.

Those two bushings you have up there solid bushings so you'll need to either slice the tops/bottoms and slide them around or get through the side of the car at the link connection, or drop the subframe and put it on.

However, if you're looking for no squeak, polyurethane is not the way you want to go. You have to grease them or they will sing like you've got their family hostage. Also do not use the supplied grease. It never seems to last long for any of us that has ever used it. My personal favorite is Silaramic brake grease by CRC. It's more tacky than anything I have encountered and high temp tolerance means it won't run on a hot day. If you go regular oem rubber, less or no squeak and no maintenance. Though mine are original at 127k and they have yet to squeak.

That being said, easiest way for you to eliminate your squeaks would be to get a grease gun and a grease needle undo every ball joint on there (2x for the end-links, 1x for the tie rod end, 1x for the LCA ball joint, I personally pinch the rubber with my fingers and pull the small seal upwards to get it loose enough to slide the needle into it), and then see what squeaks after that. I personally just did this on my wife's subaru to figure out which joints were a little less grease-loaded than they should have been given the age of the suspension on it (original @ 76k), and it eliminated a significant amount of our cold morning squeaks.

But I agree, if none of that solves any of your issues, I would lay down under it real quick and check your rear LCA bushing.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 12-15-2017 at 05:02 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

LCA's are only a couple of years old. I'm reading that it's common on many cars for the rubber sway bar bushings to shrink in cold weather causing all kinds of noise until the parts warm up from friction. It literally sounds like my suspension is going to break into pieces. Loud creaking and rattling. It makes zero noise when temps are warmer. Shocks and struts are only a year and a half old and are Koni Yellows. I hope to heck those aren't bad.
      Last edited by MurrrC01; 12-15-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Polyflex bushings in any size you want. some are available with grease fittings. I bought the regular purple ones from VIVA and so far have not squeeked.
      1994 850 wagon 5spd N/A
      2007 V50 T5 AWD 6spd

MurrCo1: Powerflex!, not Polyflex. yes those will work fine. that's what I put in my V50. iu am also going to replace the IPD issue poly mounts for my 850 with the Powerflex units.
      1994 850 wagon 5spd N/A
      2007 V50 T5 AWD 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
      MurrCo1: Powerflex!, not Polyflex. yes those will work fine. that's what I put in my V50. iu am also going to replace the IPD issue poly mounts for my 850 with the Powerflex units.
      Thanks! I'll likely order those then. I hope that fixes at least part of the noise issues.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements