2014+ TFT DIM Retrofit into 2011-2013 S60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

2014+ TFT DIM Retrofit into 2011-2013 S60

Hey everyone, I just did a swap of the analog DIM cluster from my 2012 S60 to a newer style TFT DIM from the 2014+ S60 models.

There's a good amount of information on this installation already, so I'll preface this thread with a link to the long running thread discussion.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...r-DIM-Retrofit

There had been talk here and there that I had found in the past on getting everything but the Power/Eco gauges to work, but I could never find the correct procedure for that, just talk of some wiring with no specifics.

Thankfully, a few weeks ago, that final piece was relayed to me by Pietila (thanks my friend!). I put this post together to serve as a somewhat condensed DIY of sorts, in hopes of consolidating that information in one thread so that others can more easily find it.

December 2018 Update:

After a year, both XeMODeX and Vesper Volvo have not delivered on a retrofit solution, but VDASH has apparently figured much of it out for CEM unlocking and software upgrades. The pertinent post is quoted below. This involves using VDASH to unlock the CEM (through brute force method), enabling you to configure the TFT display for those who have difficulty with the retrofit, or who want to enable new options/colors/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ok2ucx View Post
      Hi guys:

we can talk directly now Here's Pavel - from D5T5.com team (formerly VolvoCesky.cz) and we run VDASH suite. Beside many other things, we've been frequently asked to check if/how the TFT retrofit could be done. The answer is twofold, actually threefold - yes-maybe-no:

#1 retrofitting the TFT displays into MY14- cars (that have the "analogue" (cheapo) DIM with a single monochrome display in the center) is pretty much straightforward - the wires are all there, VIDA/VDASH will see it as well. It only needs a properly configured DIM software and certain settings in the CEM (*). This kind of upgrade can also be done at a dealer, bit it's a bit co$tly.

#2 the cars MY12- (and certain S60II/V60 MY11-) will accept the TFT DIM, again with the correctly configured SW and certain CEM settings changed too. Without these, most of you will see some "random" errors, TPMS faults, fuel indicator not working, completely dark DIM or the rest of the car completely confused. A pair of additional wires between OBD and DIM connector is required to see the gear selector position properly (**). Certain ECM firmwares also provide Eco/Power indicator values, but the majority (***) don't.
      This is what the some of our competition achieved as well. Some of them just randomly tested and failed various units until a software match was found.

#3 The biggest challenge was to retrofit the TFT display into all older P3 (S80II, V70III, XC70III and older XC60 - pretty much all MY07-MY11 P3 cars) without any converter hardware, just using a software configuration (and the pair of wires, of course). It was a huge work, lot of development and testing, but Yes! we can do it.
      The final testing is in progress. Next week few local guys will do the pre-final tests on their cars. Here's the teaser - this is my lovely S80 V8 MY07 car:

We do plan to roll out the VDASH 2.0 extension that will enable to do the full conversion (not exactly sure if within two weeks as our marketing promises, the development is always behind).

Technically you will only need any type of TFT DIM (there're two distinct HW versions) - both usable for any #1 #2 or #3 retrofit. Plus the AT or MT type of the DIM has to be matched with the car, that's it. Well, of course V40/XC40 DIM type will not match the car mechanically, while electrically it would be pretty much okay. A pair of additional pins and wires. And a pair of good hands.

That's for now. Hope you enjoyed the reading and soon you may enjoy the actual conversion. It will be available worldwide and online thru VDASH 2.0

Pavel (ok2ucx)
      D5T5.com team

------

(*) In order to change anything in CEM, it needs to be unlocked first. It's a one-time process that can be accomplished using VDASH. It takes 12 hours in average, 24 hours the worst case. Both car and the PC has to be powered using chargers, the car consumes 15-20A, thus cheap Lidl charger cannot handle that job. You can pause the decoding at any time though, the decoding (unlocking) will resume from the last known point. The PC has to be on-line all the time, however it will not eat too much bandwidth (a 3G mobile connection is more than good enough).

(**) Official VIDA will never see DIM responding properly as it can only be diagnosed on HS CAN (and VIDA expects such retrofitted cars to have DIM on the original LS CAN connection).
      The cars that will be converted thru VDASH will be put on an automatic white-list and VDASH will be able to 1. diagnose DIM (read/clear the DTC codes), 2. clear SRI, 3. set time thru OBD, well 4. to reprogram/update it too thru VDASH.

(***) In both #2 and #3 options the Eco/Power indicators may be mapped to a similar values in the car, with not exactly the original meaning, still meaningful. It might be reconfigured later, if the better values are found.
      Last edited by p.rico; 12-26-2018 at 10:18 AM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

First thing you need is the actual cluster (duh).

Thankfully, there are many around now, as they've been in cars for the past few years and many are showing up in auto recycle and U-pull-it locations.

The one I found was out of a 2015 S60. The spare part number is 36010100.

However, you can find it also listed as other part numbers that are more specific to certain models. Mine was listed with the 2015 S60 part number, 31453038.

I had good success with those part numbers, and also by looking up "Virtual Display Volvo" in eBay.

They'll pop up regularly so look for a good deal. You can score ones for pretty unbelievable prices, and you can also get fleeced, too. I got mine for $120 shipped from a reseller in California. As you can see it looked pretty new.

Onto the install...
      Last edited by p.rico; 12-18-2017 at 11:20 PM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

For the removal and installation of the DIM, I basically did these same steps as this poster on Youtube:

Pull the tray directly underneath the DIM straight at you from the DIM until the two clips underneath pop out of their sockets.

You can see the clips here below:

Once you do that, pop the top cover off the steering column. I found it easy to use a bone tool to put the cover apart at the front. You'll need to turn the wheel to each side to pop the clip out from the left and right of the cover.

With that loosened, you can pull the cover under the DIM forward to access the mounting screws. They are Torx 25 (as with everything else in this car).

The other two screws are on the top front of the DIM. Once you get those out, you can pull the DIM forward and unplug the connector.

At this point, I wanted to make sure that the DIM I bought worked, as I've heard of people getting nothing or blue/black error screens when connecting their DIM.

It fired up easy, with no issues, so I went ahead and removed it again to finish the wiring portion.

Last edited by p.rico; 12-18-2017 at 11:15 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

At this point comes the missing part about the wiring that enables the fuel consumption readouts and the gear position. There are two new wires in the 2014+ models on the DIM connector that aren't there on the older model. Again, thanks to Pietila for this information.

Both of the two new pins (# 7 and 8) are for the high and low speed CAN bus, respectively.

To get these features to work, you have to source that signal from another location to add to your DIM connector. Thankfully, the OBD2 can be tapped to get that information. If you look at the OBD2 specification, you can get the high and low CAN input from wires # 6 (high) and # 14 (low).

To get a wire connected to the DIM connector, you'll need to sacrifice a pin connector cable to break out the pins and use those to populate the two wires on the DIM connector. I had a spare fan header from my PC laying around so I broke the pins out of those.

This worked great, because there were two different wire colors, to ensure I didn't cross the signals.

If you're looking at the DIM connector, pins 7 and 8 are at the bottom row (starting at 4 on the bottom right and 10 at the bottom left). Insert your pins into the connector until they click in and mate.

For my purposes, I made the black wire the "high" signal and the gray the "low".

To access the wires behind the OBD2 port, there is one Torx 25 you need to remove and it pulls right out. Pin 6 is the blue wire and pin 14 is the green wire.

I used Posi-taps to connect the DIM wires to the OBD2 wires. DIM 7 to OBD2 6. DIM 8 to OBD2 14.

Put everything back together, and it works perfectly.

You're able to do everything with the cluster as you would, such as clearing the maintenance reminder and all the tech package features. Again, the only functionality not working is Power/Eco gauge.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade to bring an "older" S60 a bit up to date.

EDIT DECEMBER 2018:

I used VDASH to unlock the other color options in the DIM. Was able to change the DIM to the R-Design version.

Last edited by p.rico; 12-26-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Are you kidding me? Is it really that easy? That is awesome!

Does the adaptive cruise work as well?

Oh my car is RHD with mileage in km, does it matter if the newer (used) 2014+ cluster comes from a LHD car with miles? Also Does it have to be an S60 or can it be from an XC60, S80 or XC70?

Quote Originally Posted by thezoneS60 View Post
      Are you kidding me? Is it really that easy? That is awesome!
      Yes, it's that simple. ?

I don't have it, but I've seen videos where it works perfectly fine. I have everything but the tech package on my car and all the other functions display fine on the DIM.

Oh my car is RHD with mileage in km, does it matter if the newer (used) 2014+ cluster comes from a LHD car with miles? Also Does it have to be an S60 or can it be from an XC60, S80 or XC70?
      That I am not sure of. My understanding is that you should stick with the same car to avoid any issues, and to buy a cluster from your market. That might not be correct, but I didn't want to risk it given that I wasn't sure it would work in the first place.

The odometer initially read the old car's mileage until the computers communicated and adjusted the odometer to the correct value of my S60.

How long were the wires you ran from the DIM to OBD2? Is it an easy path to just fish through behind the dash?

One thing that is never mentioned, but is important, is pulling the steering column to it's furthest away position. Doing that, I didn't have to remove the cover directly behind the wheel as shown in the video. An absent minded mistake when I was attempting the retrofit
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      They'll pop up regularly so look for a good deal. You can score ones for pretty unbelievable prices, and you can also get fleeced, too. I got mine for $120 shipped from a reseller in California. As you can see it looked pretty new.
      I second this. I have paid just under $200 for one and about $150 for another including shipping. They come around quick enough that you don't need to purchase the $600+ ones that are more common
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

Quote Originally Posted by drdonkey View Post
      How long were the wires you ran from the DIM to OBD2? Is it an easy path to just fish through behind the dash?

One thing that is never mentioned, but is important, is pulling the steering column to it's furthest away position. Doing that, I didn't have to remove the cover directly behind the wheel as shown in the video. An absent minded mistake when I was attempting the retrofit
      Very easy to fish the wires through. I initially pulled the side panel off the dash but it wasn't necessary once I figured out the OBD2 port unscrewed off the bottom. There's nearly nothing behind the dash impinging the path between the steering column and the floor. I used a cord that was about 12-18" in length.

Even with the column fully forward I still needed to take the steering column cover off, the decklid was still to tight to pull away and expose the screws without scratching the dash underneath the deck with the deck clips, so I removed the column lid to give me that inch of give. Good call though, its always easy to forget the small details.

How did you transfer the odometer mileage from the original speedometer to the new TFT speedometer? The challenge I had was that the mileage from the new TFT speedometer was significantly higher than my original speedometer and I was unable to reset or transfer the mileage data.
      1998 Volvo C70 - Mystic Silver/Charcoal, Stage III
      2007 Volvo S60r - Electric Silver/Nordkap - SOLD, and Missed.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Caspian Blue/Off-black

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
      How did you transfer the odometer mileage from the original speedometer to the new TFT speedometer? The challenge I had was that the mileage from the new TFT speedometer was significantly higher than my original speedometer and I was unable to reset or transfer the mileage data.
      From what I've seen, the mileage might have to be lower on the TFT DIM for it to see your mileage and take that number. Since I had a 2012, it was pretty easy to find one that had lower than 60k miles.

Did the original miles show on the new DIM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Ember Black Metallic w/ Beechwood Interior.

Quote Originally Posted by vovo40 View Post
      Did the original miles show on the new DIM?
      It did while I was in ignition I mode, until I turned on the car after finishing the install and the DIM spoke to the CEM.

You can kind of make it out in my image prior to the wiring post, where it shows a 25,6xx number and the last post showing my true mileage of 60k.

It did while I was in ignition I mode, until I turned on the car after finishing the install and the DIM spoke to the CEM.

You can kind of make it out in my image prior to the wiring post, where it shows a 25,6xx number and the last post showing my true mileage of 60k.
      Thanks. I want to do this to my S60 but it’s a 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by vovo40 View Post
      Thanks. I want to do this to my S60 but it’s a 2011.

No problem, should still work for you on a 2011.

From what I've seen, the mileage might have to be lower on the TFT DIM for it to see your mileage and take that number. Since I had a 2012, it was pretty easy to find one that had lower than 60k miles.
      Crap, mines only done 29,000Km (18,000m) so will be more difficult to source.

To get a wire connected to the DIM connector, you'll need to sacrifice a pin connector cable to break out the pins and use those to populate the two wires on the DIM connector. I had a spare fan header from my PC laying around so I broke the pins out of those.

This worked great, because there were two different wire colors, to ensure I didn't cross the signals.
      You just happened to find the correct pin type for that connector? Are those the same as OEM? I'm wondering if you noticed any writing on the Volvo connector. These are probably all sourced by a few companies, most likely, AMP, TE or Molex. If we can identify the connector we could source the pin type needed which would make this conversion more PNP.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Wow, for the price I might consider doing this! I wanna get a newer one with the R Design blue option though. Is there any way to tell which ones have it enabled? Or maybe its something that can be enabled via software hack?
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar Tune
      • H&R Lowering Springs
      • Elevate Sway Bar
      • Elevate Carbon Fibre Intake
      • Alexander Performance Turbo-back Exhaust
      • Hilton Stage 2+
      • Polestar Accessories

1997 960 Wagon
      1996 850R Wagon - Sold

Follow my builds at http://www.boostmoose.com

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post

You just happened to find the correct pin type for that connector? Are those the same as OEM? I'm wondering if you noticed any writing on the Volvo connector. These are probably all sourced by a few companies, most likely, AMP, TE or Molex. If we can identify the connector we could source the pin type needed which would make this conversion more PNP.
      After nearly two decades of PC building, I've amassed a variety of connectors, most which are useless. I went with what looked right sizewise; it snapped right in place without being loose enough to pull out. I would assume it's a standard size but didn't look for markings on the DIM connector to compare.

I think I'm going to make this mod. Thanks so much for this post! I never liked the early DIM from day one and the Xemodex solution seemed like a cluster f*** to me. Under $200 to upgrade seems reasonable.

Just for reference, from the markings on your fan connector, it crosses to a Molex 22-01-2031 connector
      https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...576-ND/1090454
      which uses a couple of pin types but this one looks like the one you used
      https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...756-ND/1130600

I think I'll pull my DIM this weekend to add the wires before it gets too cold in my parts. Then I can just pop in the TFT DIM when I find one. I'll see if there are any markings on the DIM connector while I'm at it.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Good instructions!

Yes it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3l...ature=youtu.be

Thanks!

My only issue still bothering me somewhat is the TPMS. It is not a low indicator, but a service malfunction. Not sure if my local Indie can find a way to fix that or if it is a issue with how the 2015 the DIM came from was set up (did it have the sensors or did it do the wheel speed/ABS method?).

I plan on reinstalling my DIM in to see if the system behaves again, just to eliminate any variable with my stock car setup.

Thanks!

My only issue still bothering me somewhat is the TPMS. It is not a low indicator, but a service malfunction. Not sure if my local Indie can find a way to fix that or if it is a issue with how the 2015 the DIM came from was set up (did it have the sensors or did it do the wheel speed/ABS method?).

I plan on reinstalling my DIM in to see if the system behaves again, just to eliminate any variable with my stock car setup.
      For reporting purposes, when I had the non functioning DIM installed I got a TPMS malfunction light as well. I will see if it does the same when I get the new (to me) unit in on Friday

For reporting purposes, when I had the non functioning DIM installed I got a TPMS malfunction light as well. I will see if it does the same when I get the new (to me) unit in on Friday
      Good deal! Let us know.

I went out and swapped them, and indeed it is the DIM. There are no warnings or malfunctions on my original DIM. I might just take the plastic cover off and place a piece of electrical tape there to cover up the light...

Quick question (or maybe more than one).

p.rico - Does your 2012 have the TPMS sensors already or is this error from the new display (new display expecting to get sensor readings and not receiving anything)?

The other question is where are you finding these displays? I've looked all over the place and can't find one. Called a friend at an auto salvage yard today and he said he would keep an eye open for me.
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

Terms to search on your used parts place of choice (Craigslist, eBay, salvage yard sites):

TFT Display
      Virtual display
      Speedometer/speedo
      Gauge Cluster
      Head Unit

Be careful with the model though. You will have to check details or inquire to be sure it isn't from a different model (a la fits an S60 but from an xc60)

It's the display. I have TPMS sensors, which my old display has no issue with*. I assumed the monitoring was done by the CEM and relayed to the DIM, but it seems there's something in the DIM that's looking for that car's sensors...

*After this post to assure myself, I placed the older DIM back, and confirmed that there were no errors. Then placed the newer in and again and the TPMS error is back.
      Last edited by p.rico; 12-21-2017 at 11:19 PM.

When did volvo change from wheel sensors? I'm wondering if a 2014 TFT module uses wheel sensors?

Be careful with the model though. You will have to check details or inquire to be sure it isn't from a different model (a la fits an S60 but from an xc60)
      Do you know for sure an XC60 display won't work in an S60? There seem to be more XC60 displays for sale than S60s.

Do you know for sure an XC60 display won't work in an S60? There seem to be more XC60 displays for sale than S60s.
      No.

Want to be the guinea pig?

In all seriousness, there is one right now for $185 with return accepted (buyer pays shipping). Wouldn't be a huge loss if it didn't work.
      Last edited by p.rico; 12-22-2017 at 09:06 AM.

When did volvo change from wheel sensors? I'm wondering if a 2014 TFT module uses wheel sensors?
      This is my current thought as well. Just waiting on on the DIM to be delivered today (another 2015). This is a 2015 one and it seems that those are vastly more populous vs the 2014s (sales data?). Possible that 2015 or the 2015.5 model went to the different tpms style and that's causing the error?

Test for sure(if you can afford/stomach the risk)! It would be nice to get more of a sample size, but I think general consensus is that it won't. Possibly due to some vehicle identifier when programmed new?

I wonder if it has more to do to the part number since there are various part numbers it seems vs the spare number

Well, not what I was hoping for a pre-Christmas present to myself....

The new DIM did NOT have a TPMS malfunction indication on installation. The TFT screen.... well that didn't work again.

OLD (1st Purchase) DIM: Spare # 36010100, P 31433332, T 0642838

NEW (2nd Purchase) DIM: Spare # 36010019, P 31412534, T 0394741

I wonder if it is possibly different wiring done between trims/model years? I just would have to be pretty unlucky to get two shot units

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast