2014+ TFT DIM Retrofit into 2011-2013 S60 - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
      I received my DIM today and just had to try it out this evening. It appears to work! It's from an 2015 XC60. Even the car picture looks like a S60! The salvage yard that I purchased it from said it had 45,000 miles but after it powered up it read 70k. Soon there after is showed my mileage 66k. Part numbers: Spare 36011320 (T) 0458465 (P) 31394750

Tomorrow I'll connect the CAN bus and give her a spin. No TPMS warnings but I suspect that might occur after driving. Now to find some pins that might fit
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      I received my DIM today and just had to try it out this evening. It appears to work! It's from an 2015 XC60. Even the car picture looks like a S60! The salvage yard that I purchased it from said it had 45,000 miles but after it powered up it read 70k. Soon there after is showed my mileage 66k. Part numbers: Spare 36011320 (T) 0458465 (P) 31394750

Tomorrow I'll connect the CAN bus and give her a spin. No TPMS warnings but I suspect that might occur after driving. Now to find some pins that might fit
      Great to hear, maybe I will start looking for xc60 units as well. It is weird that two didn't power up for me and am wondering if there is another factor (Sensus 2 vs 3 etc.) Interfering

The TPMS malfunction should show up immediately on plug in / power up in the bottom left. I would guess you are in the clear
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

This is all very interesting! So we know a few things:

1) XC60 TFT works on the S60.
      2) Mileage doesn't seem to matter, it I'll read off your CEM.
      3) TPMS is conditional based on which way the donor car read tire pressure.

EcoDrive, do you have the same color on your Elegance theme (gray) or is it different (brown/blue)?
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drdonkey View Post
      Well, not what I was hoping for a pre-Christmas present to myself....

The new DIM did NOT have a TPMS malfunction indication on installation. The TFT screen.... well that didn't work again.

OLD (1st Purchase) DIM: Spare # 36010100, P 31433332, T 0642838

NEW (2nd Purchase) DIM: Spare # 36010019, P 31412534, T 0394741

I wonder if it is possibly different wiring done between trims/model years? I just would have to be pretty unlucky to get two shot units
      There has to be a software issue... What version do you have? I had mine recently updated to add the USB NAV update capability and received Sensus 3 in the process. I have version 1210 now.
      Last edited by p.rico; 12-22-2017 at 11:30 PM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post

There has to be a software issue... What version do you have? I had mine recently updated to add the USB NAV update capability and received Sensus 3 in the process. I have version 1210 now.
      Sensus 3 which I can tell by the option for trip statistics but I am not sure how to check the actual version number
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

Sensus 3 which I can tell by the option for trip statistics but I am not sure how to check the actual version number
      There's a menu in the settings that tells you the Map and System version. It is with the other information (VIN, BT version, DIVX code, etc.).

EcoDrive, do you have the same color on your Elegance theme (gray) or is it different (brown/blue)?
      It's gray. What's interesting is that the old DIM said to "Book Time for Maintenance", I'm coming up on my 67500 service interval. The new DIM says "Maintenance Overdue". It must be on the 10k service interval. It will interesting to see what my dealer has to say about this mod, lol. I already have the 2014 rear end and now the dash to match. Now if I can only get the heated steering wheel
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

There's a menu in the settings that tells you the Map and System version. It is with the other information (VIN, BT version, DIVX code, etc.).
      I don't have that. I don't have a platinum car nor navigation so all I see is BT version, VIN, and # of Keys

It's gray. What's interesting is that the old DIM said to "Book Time for Maintenance", I'm coming up on my 67500 service interval. The new DIM says "Maintenance Overdue". It must be on the 10k service interval. It will interesting to see what my dealer has to say about this mod, lol. I already have the 2014 rear end and now the dash to match. Now if I can only get the heated steering wheel
      I also looked like "Maintenance Overdue" when I installed the instrument cluster. Even if there was still time left for maintenance.

Yesterday I used the service, and now "Maintenance Overdue" does not appear.

You can not reset the maintenance notice in Vida.

It must be done manually.

Now also the time for the service working:

You can rest the service reminder just as you can on the donor car. I think the procedure was holding the Read (or OK) button and start until the chime. Worked fine when I did it.

I don't have that. I don't have a platinum car nor navigation so all I see is BT version, VIN, and # of Keys
      Huh... Yeah it might be a case of your car being slightly different enough to not work then. That's really unfortunate.

I'm not sure you'll get a heated wheel to work (nor paddles) but I could be wrong... I'd imagine it would be more than the wheel itself (wiring and software).

Where did you get your TFT? A local yard? I am trying to decide what to do, whether I live with what I have and deal with the light, cover or disable the light in the panel I have, or get a TFT that works with previous TPMS (the question being how would I know which is which)?

there is a Russian company offering this swap with full functions (eco/power) also can code the cluster to have the R design animation and colors
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ouJV8I1ZpU

ecodrive - do you have the xc60 car image or it recognized the it s60 like when it show you open the doors / trunk ??

thanks.

Where did you get your TFT? A local yard? I am trying to decide what to do, whether I live with what I have and deal with the light, cover or disable the light in the panel I have, or get a TFT that works with previous TPMS (the question being how would I know which is which)?
      I got mine from a seller on eBay. I drove around for 10 miles today no TPMS warning but I have a new issue. No gas gauge. I hooked up the CAN bus and get the gear selector but the bottom fuel gauge LED just flashed red for about 30 seconds and then turns off. It seems AWD is an issue as well. Mine came from an AWD vehicle. AWDs have two fuel sending units for some reason. FWDs only has one so the DIM is not getting the other fuel sending unit information so just displays nothing. Not a big deal as I was using my trip odometer for remain fuel anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nrgglider View Post
      ecodrive - do you have the xc60 car image or it recognized the it s60 like when it show you open the doors / trunk ??

thanks.
      The image is an S60 as far as I can tell.

I got mine from a seller on eBay. I drove around for 10 miles today no TPMS warning but I have a new issue. No gas gauge. I hooked up the CAN bus and get the gear selector but the bottom fuel gauge LED just flashed red for about 30 seconds and then turns off. It seems AWD is an issue as well. Mine came from an AWD vehicle. AWDs have two fuel sending units for some reason. FWDs only has one so the DIM is not getting the other fuel sending unit information so just displays nothing. Not a big deal as I was using my trip odometer for remain fuel anyway.
      OK so other issues. Interesting. I guess there is some merit to getting your DIM from a particular model...

Decided to just forgo the issue with the TPMS light for now, and did a bit of disassembly to get into the unit and put a piece to tape to block off the light.

I'm OK with no TPMS since I check tire pressures regularly, and since there no other codes, it's no big deal.

I didn't want to put a piece of tape on the gauge face, since it would be evident and look a bit funny, so I took the top off to see about blocking the LED itself. Found the right LED and just placed tape over it for now, so it can be reversed in the future if need be.

Anyone else thinking like me that it would be kind of cool to just have the screen open like that instead of shrouded with the ring?
      Last edited by p.rico; 12-23-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nrgglider View Post
      there is a Russian company offering this swap with full functions (eco/power) also can code the cluster to have the R design animation and colors
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ouJV8I1ZpU

thanks.
      Yes, I've then those videos, but they're also charging ~1200 for the TFT+kit, same as Xemodex. Do you do what the cost of the kit alone is?

Decided to just forgo the issue with the TPMS light for now, and did a bit of disassembly to get into the unit and put a piece to tape to block off the light.

I'm OK with no TPMS since I check tire pressures regularly, and since there no other codes, it's no big deal.

I didn't want to put a piece of tape on the gauge face, since it would be evident and look a bit funny, so I took the top off to see about blocking the LED itself. Found the right LED and just placed tape over it for now, so it can be reversed in the future if need be.
      Yeah, that seems like a good solution for you, I would have done the same. I'll keep my eye out for a FWD version. I'm okay with using the trip computer for now. I actually had an issue a month or so back with my fuel gauge showing the wrong level. Hasn't happened since but it's why I started to use the trip computer in the first place. An indy wanted $1200 to replace the sending unit! The TFT fuel gauge is pretty low resolution anyway but it's weird not having one. If anyone has a FWD TFT DIM that they would like to swap let me know ;-) Did you ever contact your indy shop to see if a reflash of the DIM is possible? But in your case it might be different hardware.
      Last edited by ecoDrive; 12-26-2017 at 05:07 AM.

Anyone aware if this will work on a 2010 XC60?
      2010 XC60 White: P*, Shifter retro, 3 spoke steering wheel retro.
      2001 S40 : 14T, BBTB, 3" Stainless Turbo back DP, Upsolute, KW Coilovers, 17" Konigs, Mistu Calipers & Rotors, 3 spoke steering wheel upgrade, Custom Arctic Silver and Sonic Blue Paint, Custom Upholstry

Quote Originally Posted by QUARKS40 View Post
      Anyone aware if this will work on a 2010 XC60?
      Unfortunately, as you have seen with most of this thread, not a lot is known. I'd say try it, if it doesn't work, you're out shipping money only as most eBay salvage yard stores take returns. There are a few XC60 TFT's I've seen in eBay right now for just under $200.

Yes, I've then those videos, but they're also charging ~1200 for the TFT+kit, same as Xemodex. Do you do what the cost of the kit alone is?
      Yes the charge 30000rub (500usd) for the complete replacement not sure if it's a kit or they are reprogramming the module

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I confess I did fall in love with the TFT display in the S60 loaner I had last week to the point that I did allow my mind to wonder how much of a hack would be required to make it work in my C70... and that was before I saw this thread.
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

If anyone has a FWD TFT DIM that they would like to swap let me know ;-) Did you ever contact your indy shop to see if a reflash of the DIM is possible? But in your case it might be different hardware.

BTW I used these pins. They seemed to work just fine.
      https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...2512-ND/115063
      I'd be willing to swap you for the unit that was giving me the TPMS warning .

Thanks for the info on the pins. What gauge wire did you use? I have some wire at work but I don't think anything small enough unless I salvage from some 18/3 or Cat6. I am going to try and tap into the OBD2 wires and see if that will do anything for powering up the TFTs on either DIM I have.

I'd be willing to swap you for the unit that was giving me the TPMS warning .

Thanks for the info on the pins. What gauge wire did you use? I have some wire at work but I don't think anything small enough unless I salvage from some 18/3 or Cat6. I am going to try and tap into the OBD2 wires and see if that will do anything for powering up the TFTs on either DIM I have.
      I used Posi-Taps that were meant for 20-22 AWG.

I used 24 gauge wire that I had laying around. Cat6 should work just fine. It should be a twisted pair anyway. I really don't understand why yours only partially powers up. Do you have anything else aftermarket on the CAN Bus? It seems something is preventing your display from waking up.

Let me think on the swap. We still don't know if yours actually has a problem. And mine has a minor scratch on the front cover that I was hoping to replace if the display functioned. I might just wait for a 2014 FWD to show up. It would be nice to know when Volvo switched TPMS techniques in their various vehicles. We know sometime in 2015 for the S60 but perhaps this was later for the XC60? I don't want to risk another 2015 unless I know the XC60 are a safe bet in regards to TPMS.
      Last edited by ecoDrive; 12-25-2017 at 07:25 AM.

Updated with additional information

This is all very interesting! So we know a few things:

1) XC60 TFT works on the S60.
      2) Mileage doesn't seem to matter, it I'll read off your CEM. (This might be the case if the milage is close)
      3) TPMS is conditional based on which way the donor car read tire pressure.
      4) AWD matters

Does anyone know if the R-design theme is due to a certain software in the clusters/TFT in R-design cars only?
      I'd like to have a TFT in my '11 V70 R-design, and of course I want the blue R-design theme. So, I figure it might work if I get an R-design TFT from an XC60 o V60 and install it as O.P. Comments?
      '11 V70 D5 AWD R-Design w. Polestar upgrade
      '98 S70 GLT
      '85 245 Turbo

I used 24 gauge wire that I had laying around. Cat6 should work just fine. It should be a twisted pair anyway. I really don't understand why yours only partially powers up. Do you have anything else aftermarket on the CAN Bus? It seems something is preventing your display from waking up.

Let me think on the swap. We still don't know if yours actually has a problem. And mine has a minor scratch on the front cover that I was hoping to replace if the display functioned. I might just wait for a 2014 FWD to show up. It would be nice to know when Volvo switched TPMS techniques in their various vehicles. We know sometime in 2015 for the S60 but perhaps this was later for the XC60? I don't want to risk another 2015 unless I know the XC60 are a safe bet in regards to TPMS.
      FYI the plastic cover is part 31376800. ~$60 on Tasca.

Nothing aftermarket except for an insurance dongle on the OBD2 that I have tried removing. It is strange because everything else works and it would appear it is just a power no power for the display. I wouldn't imagine it would work, but I am hoping the high/low signal is what it needs.

No problem, I was half joking. It is a risky swap, and I am just after another DIM to try. After shipping back and forth (if it doesn't work) it is probably half the cost of buying another.

Deleted
      Last edited by ecoDrive; 01-24-2018 at 06:20 AM.

I just performed this retrofit today. I purchased a used cluster out of a 2015 S60 and installed in my 2012 T5 S60. All functions work with the exception of the eco and power gauges...but I actually prefer the "elegant" theme so no loss there. Overall really updates the car and I am very pleased with the result. Thanks to all who contributed to make this possible.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottvh View Post
      I just performed this retrofit today. I purchased a used cluster out of a 2015 S60 and installed in my 2012 T5 S60. All functions work with the exception of the eco and power gauges...but I actually prefer the "elegant" theme so no loss there. Overall really updates the car and I am very pleased with the result. Thanks to all who contributed to make this possible.

Scott
      Great!

Another lucky 2015 swap without the TPMS error.

I'd like the Elegance more if it used up the center space with something... Like the current speed, and if it was a different color other than gray.

At this point comes the missing part about the wiring that enables the fuel consumption readouts and the gear position. There are two new wires in the 2014+ models on the DIM connector that aren't there on the older model. Again, thanks to Pietila for this information.

Both of the two new pins (# 7 and 8) are for the high and low speed CAN bus, respectively.

To get these features to work, you have to source that signal from another location to add to your DIM connector. Thankfully, the OBD2 can be tapped to get that information. If you look at the OBD2 specification, you can get the high and low CAN input from wires # 6 (high) and # 14 (low).

To get a wire connected to the DIM connector, you'll need to sacrifice a pin connector cable to break out the pins and use those to populate the two wires on the DIM connector. I had a spare fan header from my PC laying around so I broke the pins out of those.

This worked great, because there were two different wire colors, to ensure I didn't cross the signals.

If you're looking at the DIM connector, pins 7 and 8 are at the bottom row (starting at 4 on the bottom right and 10 at the bottom left). Insert your pins into the connector until they click in and mate.

For my purposes, I made the black wire the "high" signal and the gray the "low".

To access the wires behind the OBD2 port, there is one Torx 25 you need to remove and it pulls right out. Pin 6 is the blue wire and pin 14 is the green wire.

I used Posi-taps to connect the DIM wires to the OBD2 wires. DIM 7 to OBD2 6. DIM 8 to OBD2 14.

Put everything back together, and it works perfectly.

You're able to do everything with the cluster as you would, such as clearing the maintenance reminder and all the tech package features. Again, the only functionality not working is Power/Eco gauge.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade to bring an "older" S60 a bit up to date.
      Thank you for your topic, and clear explanation

I have tried to connect the cluster like this way, only have had directly a lot of troublecodes.

i will try it again tommorrow with your explanation, I think I have made a wrong connection (it was already dark)
      Last edited by ar-; 12-28-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ar- View Post

I have tried to connect the cluster like this way, only have had directly a lot of troublecodes.

i will try it again tommorrow with your explanation, I think I have made a wrong connection (it was already dark)
      I couldn't wait any longer :-) so I have connected the 2 wires.

Now the fuel consumption works. The kilometers to empty stays clear and the fuel gauge is still not working.

Does somebody knows what I can do or trie?

I couldn't wait any longer :-) so I have connected the 2 wires.

Now the fuel consumption works. The kilometers to empty stays clear and the fuel gauge is still not working.

Does somebody knows what I can do or trie?
      I think that, at least for now, it looks like different model trims (awd vs fwd) have different fuel sensors and may not be compatible with different dims. If you got an AWD dim and have a FWD car etc.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast