2014+ TFT DIM Retrofit into 2011-2013 S60 - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
      A bit more information about the fuel gauge. The fuel gauge tells me that the fuel tank is empty, so the by starting the car the lowest white light is on and turns to red. Also the orange fuel light is on.

The gear shift (manual) is working, and when this is not working I couldt live with it :-) but I the fuel indicator is a function i would like to work ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      I got mine from a seller on eBay. I drove around for 10 miles today no TPMS warning but I have a new issue. No gas gauge. I hooked up the CAN bus and get the gear selector but the bottom fuel gauge LED just flashed red for about 30 seconds and then turns off. It seems AWD is an issue as well. Mine came from an AWD vehicle. AWDs have two fuel sending units for some reason. FWDs only has one so the DIM is not getting the other fuel sending unit information so just displays nothing. Not a big deal as I was using my trip odometer for remain fuel anyway.
      Here is information from earlier in the thread. Do you have a FWD car. If you have the same issue as ecoDrive then you may be out of luck unless he found a fix (unlikely unless there is a way to mimic/mirror the signal needed).

Definitely wanting to do this! How is the theme changed and such? Does it use the little scroll wheel like the one in my '10 XC60?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
      2010 XC60 T6 Sapphire Black Metallic (TFT DIM retrofit, DynoMax muffler, Eibach lowering springs & Koni struts, HardRace adjustable rear toe arms)
      2004 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon 2.5 White Frost Pearl (Also mine) | 2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 AWD Olympic White (Hers)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillMan View Post
      Definitely wanting to do this! How is the theme changed and such? Does it use the little scroll wheel like the one in my '10 XC60?

Everything is controlled from the left signal stalk, just like you would with the current DIM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      Everything is controlled from the left signal stalk, just like you would with the current DIM.
      Ok awesome! That's what I figured but wanted to make sure before pulling the trigger

2010 XC60 T6 Sapphire Black Metallic (TFT DIM retrofit, DynoMax muffler, Eibach lowering springs & Koni struts, HardRace adjustable rear toe arms)
      2004 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon 2.5 White Frost Pearl (Also mine) | 2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 AWD Olympic White (Hers)

So I know this is not related to the section, but still related to the topic ;p

We're trying to make it work on earlier models (V70 2009 in this case). We've tried the connection mentioned here, as well as trying to fool the car with having two DIMs installed at once, but nothing seems to work.

Are the electronics systems really that different? We've started looking at other models as well, since there has been successful cases of S80 ~2007 having the DIM installed and working, and their connectors are really quite different to the newer cars when checking through VIDA.

We do know about that russian company and that they've somehow managed to get it to work on pretty much all models/years.

I do apologize about the wrong section, but there seems to be quite a few knowledgeable people here ^^ Maybe should create a general thread regarding this, so we all can (hopefully) enjoy the new DIM

Quote Originally Posted by ar- View Post
      A bit more information about the fuel gauge. The fuel gauge tells me that the fuel tank is empty, so the by starting the car the lowest white light is on and turns to red. Also the orange fuel light is on.

The gear shift (manual) is working, and when this is not working I couldt live with it :-) but I the fuel indicator is a function i would like to work ;-)
      This behavior is different from mine. After starting the car I don't get any white lights on the fuel gauge nor do I get the orange low fuel light, just a blinking red light on the lowest mark and that goes away after a minute then nothing is lit. Yours seems to be communicating with the CEM but just getting the wrong information back. (Assuming your fuel sending unit is actually working) Did your DIM come from a different market? Maybe this is a units issue? There is also a possibility that the sending units are different between a V60 and S60 like having a different resistance range between full and empty. I believe the fuel sending unit on a FWD vehicle is part of the fuel pump unit. AWD vehicles have a second separate sending unit. You could look up the part number for the fuel pump for the two vehicles to see if they are different.
      Last edited by ecoDrive; 12-29-2017 at 07:03 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by drdonkey View Post
      Here is information from earlier in the thread. Do you have a FWD car. If you have the same issue as ecoDrive then you may be out of luck unless he found a fix (unlikely unless there is a way to mimic/mirror the signal needed).
      Also I'm assuming my issue is a AWD vs FWD mismatch. It is also a possibility that my DIM has a problem. I do know there is a difference in sending units between AWD and FWD. The only way to confirm is to install my DIM in a AWD vehicle to see if the fuel gauge starts working which I don't have access to.

Additionally, I traced the fuel sending unit wiring and discovered that both wires are present in my vehicle. There is a connector under the rear seat that I was able to access. I tried to mirror the FWD fuel signal to the AWD fuel signal but no love. The CEM is probably programmed not to look at this signal in my vehicle.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

It would be nice to have some input from a technician with knowledge of the process for programming/activating a new DIM. Does that process take into account model/year/trim/options? Do the different spares actually matter for different years and trims, SW vs HW? I would also like to experiment with a FWD car if possible (R-design AWD here)

I can say that that p.ricos disassembly did not mirror my own. The spare part number that matched P.ricos and the second DIM I bought had totally different boards and configuration with the 2nd one more accurately matching the shown dissasembly. The 1st dim did not have that gasket style front fuel and transmission gauge and was instead more attached to the front housing.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

Quote Originally Posted by Steffe View Post
      So I know this is not related to the section, but still related to the topic ;p

We're trying to make it work on earlier models (V70 2009 in this case). We've tried the connection mentioned here, as well as trying to fool the car with having two DIMs installed at once, but nothing seems to work.

Are the electronics systems really that different? We've started looking at other models as well, since there has been successful cases of S80 ~2007 having the DIM installed and working, and their connectors are really quite different to the newer cars when checking through VIDA.

We do know about that russian company and that they've somehow managed to get it to work on pretty much all models/years.

I do apologize about the wrong section, but there seems to be quite a few knowledgeable people here ^^ Maybe should create a general thread regarding this, so we all can (hopefully) enjoy the new DIM
      I don't think it is the electronics system would be that different (of course saying this without a ton if knowledge or research) but it seems to be the little things both SW and HW along with, my guess, a little programming.

A DIM has to be activated for a car and programmed to it, that's why we have to buy used.

ASSUMPTION:
      The DIM is looking for certain HW or CEL signals for fuel, transmission, data for the power and eco meter, and fuel economy calculations. The DIM has to be programmed for the cars outputs in question (FWD, AWD, year, trim or whatever the difference is).

This would explain why some people get it to work out of the box and some can't and have the TPMS or fuel issues. The DIM is looking for an output from the car it isn't receiving (or it is getting one that it doesn't understand)

In any case, it is hard to make much progress without testing more DIMs and knowing exactly what they came from.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

It would be nice to have some input from a technician with knowledge of the process for programming/activating a new DIM. Does that process take into account model/year/trim/options? Do the different spares actually matter for different years and trims, SW vs HW? I would also like to experiment with a FWD car if possible (R-design AWD here)

I can say that that p.ricos disassembly did not mirror my own. The spare part number that matched P.ricos and the second DIM I bought had totally different boards and configuration with the 2nd one more accurately matching the shown dissasembly. The 1st dim did not have that gasket style front fuel and transmission gauge and was instead more attached to the front housing.
      I doubt the technician has any control over programming and I'm sure there are different hardware versions as well as you have already noted. VIDA probably reads the VIN from the CEM and knows what firmware to load in the DIM based on that. I would even doubt that a different VIN could be entered into the system to get a different firmware load. We're basically limited to used DIMs with a close enough firmware load that will work in our vehicle. I have another DIM coming from a FWD S60 and if that one works I'd be willing to send you my AWD DIM to see if you can get a working gas gauge(and is accurate). Then we would know for sure if AWD and vehicle model matters.

This behavior is different from mine. After starting the car I don't get any white lights on the fuel gauge nor do I get the orange low fuel light, just a blinking red light on the lowest mark and that goes away after a minute then nothing is lit. Yours seems to be communicating with the CEM but just getting the wrong information back. (Assuming your fuel sending unit is actually working) Did your DIM come from a different market? Maybe this is a units issue? There is also a possibility that the sending units are different between a V60 and S60 like having a different resistance range between full and empty. I believe the fuel sending unit on a FWD vehicle is part of the fuel pump unit. AWD vehicles have a second separate sending unit. You could look up the part number for the fuel pump for the two vehicles to see if they are different.
      The cluster is coming out a S60 D3 or D4 from Luxembourg, and I am from the Netherlands, and my V60 is imported from Belgium. So the market must be the same, and both are FWD only I have not a Volvo diesel (1.6 DrivE form PSA or Ford).

With my original cluster the fuel gauge is working properly.

Today the cluster gave me a serious problem. I drove this morning to my company and after about 10 kilometers I didn't have any power. Like the tank was real empty. I was sure that mine tank was full.
      I had torx25 with me and also the originl cluster. So I changed it for th original and the problem was solved. I had also disconnect the 2 CAN wires from the OBD.
      Last edited by ar-; 12-29-2017 at 02:29 PM.

The cluster is coming out a S60 D3 or D4 from Luxembourg, an d I am from the Netherlands, and my V60 is imported from Belgium. So the market must be the same.

Today the cluster gave me a serious problem. I drove this morning to my company and after about 10 kilometers I didn't have any power. Like the tank was real empty. I was sure that mine tank was full.
      I had torx25 with me and also the originl cluster. So I changed it for th original and the problem was solved. I had also disconnect the 2 CAN wires from the OBD.
      You had no power to the display or to the engine/vehicle?

You had no power to the display or to the engine/vehicle?
      The display was functioning normally, and there where no messages on the display. The power of the engine was gone. When Pressed the throttle the power of the engine was gone. The engine only was functioning normal at iddle.
      Last edited by ar-; 12-29-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Well that is a concerning error. I am not sure what could cause that other than the CEL getting conflicting signals on fuel level?

Does anyone know if the engine matters? Say if mine is a T6 and the donor car is a 2.5 or any other one?

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillMan View Post
      Does anyone know if the engine matters? Say if mine is a T6 and the donor car is a 2.5 or any other one?
      That is the problem, sometime does, sometime not.

I just have searched on the specification of the donor car. The S60 has a D5204T7 engine, and I have D4162T engine.

I think you need to searched for more specs closer to your car for a used cluster. In my case maybe I need to have a cluster from a D3 or D4 4 cilinder, and maybe the problem from this morning is because a difference in that specifications. The partnumber of the fuel pump is also different. That wil maybe the case of a not functioning fuel gauge

I only not understand why the DIM has influence on the working of the engine. I mine opinion the cluster only recieved information and not sending information to other modules.

In the U.S. we do not have nearly as many engine choices, so I suspect that it is a bit easier over here. T6 and T5 I believe are the only two for the years that we are looking at. The Drive-Es already have it and the older 3.2/T5/V8 are in an even worse position from an age perspective (see Steffe's post above). Someone with access to VIDA and/or vehicle schematics and breakdowns might be a little more help on what actually interacts with what and what, if anything, is reported back from the DIM.

I only not understand why the DIM has influence on the working of the engine. I mine opinion the cluster only recieved information and not sending information to other modules.

3 things come to mind.

1.There could be a problem with your new connections to the high speed CAN bus. Perhaps the way you connected this wire pair is causing corruption on this bus. But I would expect error codes from something this drastic and your fuel consumption and gear selector on the DIM would mostly disappear if the CAN bus was degraded. The CAN bus uses 120 ohm impedance twisted pair wiring between end points. Your wire should be small gauge, something around 22-26 gauge and together preferably twisted.

2. Is it normal for a diesel engine to loose power on an extremely low fuel tank? Perhaps your DIM to telling your CEM your almost out of gas and to conserve fuel??

3. Another possibility is that there is another issue with your vehicle and this was just a coincidence. But driving around with your original cluster should confirm that.

Are any of you guys that are swapping these out hooking up a dice and seeing what codes are showing up? I'm really surprised these work at all without software. I'm assuming these are like most automotive networks,( I'm a Chrysler Tech)and require at least a configuration load/proxy align/, etc I know older Volvos, if you put in a new cluster, it was "dead" basically until you did a software load. It is a major hub/node on the network, so I'm surprised these work as well as they do.
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      2013 XC60 T6R-design- IPD exhaust- Ice White
      2015.5 V60 Polestar- Black- do88/TDI/GFB/Elevate rear bar [email protected] mph
      Mopar Tech

Quote Originally Posted by BellevilleV70 View Post
      Are any of you guys that are swapping these out hooking up a dice and seeing what codes are showing up? I'm really surprised these work at all without software. I'm assuming these are like most automotive networks,( I'm a Chrysler Tech)and require at least a configuration load/proxy align/, etc I know older Volvos, if you put in a new cluster, it was "dead" basically until you did a software load. It is a major hub/node on the network, so I'm surprised these work as well as they do.
      These aren't new, they are being sourced from salvage yards, and as such are already loaded with DIM software. I believe in the past that others have commented it being impossible to load DIM software onto a new DIM in a car not meant for it because VIDA wouldn't allow it or it would crash. That is part of the issue many are facing in this thread, and one of the issues I faced, with the loaded DIM software searching for sensors not on the installed vehicle or monitoring tire pressures through rotational instead of sensors, etc.

I'd actually like to see what VIDA sees on my car with it installed. Need to get a DICE soon.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Someone with access to VIDA and/or vehicle schematics and breakdowns might be a little more help on what actually interacts with what and what, if anything, is reported back from the DIM.
      This would have to come from Volvo software engineers or from someone that can reverse engineer the CAN bus messages like the people at Xemodex or that Russian company. VIDA and schematics are at to high a level.

3 things come to mind.

1.There could be a problem with your new connections to the high speed CAN bus. Perhaps the way you connected this wire pair is causing corruption on this bus. But I would expect error codes from something this drastic and your fuel consumption and gear selector on the DIM would mostly disappear if the CAN bus was degraded. The CAN bus uses 120 ohm impedance twisted pair wiring between end points. Your wire should be small gauge, something around 22-26 gauge and together preferably twisted.

2. Is it normal for a diesel engine to loose power on an extremely low fuel tank? Perhaps your DIM to telling your CEM your almost out of gas and to conserve fuel??

3. Another possibility is that there is another issue with your vehicle and this was just a coincidence. But driving around with your original cluster should confirm that.
      Yesterday I have done something wrong with my DICE and VIDA.

I have checked today again and I have had 2 troublecode in the timeline with the TFT cluster:
      CEM-U030141 Software incompatibility with ECM/PCM - System internal failures (this code was on thursday when installing the TFT DIM cluster two extra CAN wires)
      ECM-P115A00 Low Fuel Level - Forced Limited Power (this was yesterday morning wehn the car lost engine power)

So there is a 2 direction communication from the DIM

These aren't new, they are being sourced from salvage yards, and as such are already loaded with DIM software. I believe in the past that others have commented it being impossible to load DIM software onto a new DIM in a car not meant for it because VIDA wouldn't allow it or it would crash. That is part of the issue many are facing in this thread, and one of the issues I faced, with the loaded DIM software searching for sensors not on the installed vehicle or monitoring tire pressures through rotational instead of sensors, etc.

I'd actually like to see what VIDA sees on my car with it installed. Need to get a DICE soon.
      Yes I know they are used, .......What I am getting at ,is I am surprised how well these work considering they have the "wrong" software in them, never mind the wrong vin. ......probably the best going forward is to try and find the used one, that's close to what your car is, as far as drivetrain and options.
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      Mopar Tech

Yesterday I have done something wrong with my DICE and VIDA.

I have checked today again and I have had 2 troublecode in the timeline with the TFT cluster:
      CEM-U030141 Software incompatibility with ECM/PCM - System internal failures (this code was on thursday when installing the TFT DIM cluster two extra CAN wires)
      ECM-P115A00 Low Fuel Level - Forced Limited Power (this was yesterday morning wehn the car lost engine power)

So there is a 2 direction communication from the DIM
      Makes sense it went to limp mode....Our diesels at work will do the same thing, as low fuel(air in fuel) is hard on the HP pump and injectors. Your probably going to have to source one from a diesel.
      Mopar Tech

This would have to come from Volvo software engineers or from someone that can reverse engineer the CAN bus messages like the people at Xemodex or that Russian company. VIDA and schematics are at to high a level.
      CAN data is easy to grab.....but the issue is the software load in the DIM, its not meant for the car. Good luck sadly at changing that. Xmodex isn't even doing that, it looks like they are using a data box that's tricking the car its right. No idea what the Russians are doing. Reverse engineering is very very hard and time consuming. I did some years ago on a early 90s Chrysler engine comp, and this would be waaaay harder.
      Mopar Tech

CAN data is easy to grab.....but the issue is the software load in the DIM, its not meant for the car. Good luck sadly at changing that. Xmodex isn't even doing that, it looks like they are using a data box that's tricking the car its right. No idea what the Russians are doing. Reverse engineering is very very hard and time consuming. I did some years ago on a early 90s Chrysler engine comp, and this would be waaaay harder.
      All agreed, I am less interested in trying to reverse engineer (the two company's in question already have results on work around for $$$) and more interested and just knowing what will and won't work and if there is an explanation for some of these faults. There was some luck in the sense that ecodrive was able to use an XC60 DIM, but it seems that it is less ideal than previously thought. We are now looking at a requirement for DIM swaps from certain trims and years to avoided the fuel, tpms, and possible still undiscovered errors/incompatibility.

I'm sure that the luck that can be had is due to minimizing year to year differences where possible for cost savings. Hardware wise Volvo only ran 2 additional cables to the DIM. It is the vehicle improvements and associated SW that us the issue

Yes I know they are used, .......What I am getting at ,is I am surprised how well these work considering they have the "wrong" software in them, never mind the wrong vin. ......probably the best going forward is to try and find the used one, that's close to what your car is, as far as drivetrain and options.
      Hence why I went with an S60 T6 DIM for my S60 T6. That caution had been mentioned in the larger DIM retrofit thread from 2014. I wanted a 2014 model but couldn't find one... That would have eliminated the TPMS error. I've checked all the codes I can with my ELM and no sensors seem to be out of wack on the skin. I've also checked all car functions, and they all work, with the associated readouts on the DIM. So yeah, got lucky I found a DIM with the most compatibility.
      Last edited by p.rico; 12-30-2017 at 11:24 AM.

I do have to add however, that the T6 I got it from had the Drive-E 2.0 and I was under the impression that was a FWD only vehicle in 2015... So the AWD/FWD issue others are having here with their fuel sensors are not affecting me.

Makes sense it went to limp mode....Our diesels at work will do the same thing, as low fuel(air in fuel) is hard on the HP pump and injectors. Your probably going to have to source one from a diesel.
      The cluster is from a S60 diesel.

I think theproblem is that this cluster is from a 5 cilinder diesel and I have a 4 cilinder diesel.
      I have checked for the partnumber of the fuel pump, this is an other partnumber than mine.

This will be a very hard search to find a cluster for my V60

I do have to add however, that the T6 I got it from had the Drive-E 2.0 and I was under the impression that was a FWD only vehicle in 2015... So the AWD/FWD issue others are having here with their fuel sensors are not affecting me.
      That's because if your DIM is from FWD, and my hunch is correct, your DIM only knows about the one main fuel sending unit and is getting the expected data from it. So basically your AWD is not benefitting from the dual sending unit setup (for whatever benefit that serves). Most likely not a big deal. But the other way around results in missing data and so creating an error condition.

The cluster is from a S60 diesel.

I think theproblem is that this cluster is from a 5 cilinder diesel and I have a 4 cilinder diesel.
      I have checked for the partnumber of the fuel pump, this is an other partnumber than mine.

This will be a very hard search to find a cluster for my V60
      Interesting,,,,,,I would have thought they would have been close if they are both diesels.
      Mopar Tech

I ended up pulling pins out of one of the severed connectors from the received DIM to see what type of pins that they used. I had no luck finding a direct replacement, No markings meant that I was just browsing Digikey. there are plenty of similar pins though. In the end I ended up just using the same ones Eco posted earlier that are similar to p.rico used.

I should have the posi-taps today and will try and get the DIMs I have powered up with the High/Low signal attached.

Asked the Russian company if they can send already reconfigured unit or they program it specially for the car also wonder why no one used the v40 dash as there is many of those on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast