Complimentary S60 Software Updates Vs. Pay Updates
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Complimentary S60 Software Updates Vs. Pay Updates

VERY confused. I took my 2013 S60 RD in today for the 50 K service, and mentioned that I had issues with my iPhone X bluetooth connection and needed the update to SENSUS Navi so that I could upgrade the map via USB thumb drive. When I got the bill back, I noticed that I had "complimentary software updates", but was charged $80 for "software updates". When I asked what the difference was, nobody could explain it any better than "they're different...".

What's the difference, and, how can I tell? Do some dealerships do all updates for free (I know some are cheaper than others for the same items)?

Thanks.
      Gmouse

Waco, TX
      2013 Volvo S60 RDesign Electric Silver

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good question! I’m interested also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      2006 s40 2.4i fwd

my new baby!!! black on black 2012 s60 T6 awd

You paid $80 for the NAV update which is a decent price, I paid $125.

Only software updates that fix issues with Sensus are complimentary as part of the Volvo for Life campaign (how my dealer explained it to me). The USB update is a elective update that adds new functionality, so not free.

Oddly enough, when I had my NAV USB update performed, my I AM was way out of date and crashed (I had an early Sensus 2.0 build). The dealer had to rebuild the IAM over a day and a half to get to the latest Sensus 3.0 version before they applied the NAV update. I was still only charged $125 and the rest chalked up to Good Will, as I assume Volvo NA subsidized the cost, and also since I had just dropped $1100 for the Polestar optimization.
      Last edited by p.rico; 12-19-2017 at 05:06 PM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Got my invoice (had been told $80) over the phone, to authorize the update(s) cost:

1. Volvo complimentary software update ($120 value)
      2. IAM Upgrade $28.98
      3. PDS Upgrade $0.01
      4. Labor $100

So, not really sure about all this, and seems labor a bit high (as I'm sure while the update is being one, the technician can be doing other things.

I asked the service manager about why when I brought in my car, I couldn't just request a full upgrade on all systems...he said, "If you state a specific issue that can be solved by an upgrade, and it's a known bug, it's a free update, but it it's not a known bug, and you just want some functionality, it's a pay update, but, can cost as low as 1 penny.".

I thought about just telling them to put all the updates possible in...has anyone done that?

AND, to top it all off, on the way home (clear day, just a bit cold), my driver-side BLIS kept going out (I could stop car, restart (reboot...) and it worked for a few minutes, then started blinking again, saying it was blocked (camera totally clear and clean). A few years ago they had to install "camera heaters" and upgrade software, as my BLIS kept doing this, so...seems something has happened again, or was due to the upgrade.

I also noticed that a lot of my settings had changed, and I had some new functions, so, guess I gotta go spend time going through the menus, upgrading the NAVI (they only upgraded the system, not a maps upgrade), etc.

Wish it was like a Tesla, and you could just download your latest versions yourself...of course, I guess you can brick your car doing that, too...
      Gmouse

Waco, TX
      2013 Volvo S60 RDesign Electric Silver

As I had referenced above, to install the NAV USB feature, the whole IAM has to get updated. So in your update you got a clean build of the latest Sensus 3.0 version. If you have build 1210 then that is the latest I believe. The only other software feature that can be installed, if you don't have it already, is the Remote Start, but that is a ~$500 upgrade. Labor is about right, dealerships charge ~$120 or so an hour, and yes even though the update is pretty hands off, they'll still charge you the time for it. My Polestar update was itemized at $1070 for the software and $75 for the labor (1/2 hour).

There's a whole Sensus 3.0 thread on here with all of the changes. It fixed a lot of the issues people had and added a few things, such as the Trip Statistics log, the auto seat heater in cold weather option, and better navigation between menus and media.
      Last edited by p.rico; 12-20-2017 at 09:49 AM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements