Injector cleaner at 112k miles?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Injector cleaner at 112k miles?

My XC90 has never seen another garage than the dealer.

Getting in for the regular service for 112k miles, they recommend injector cleaner at $180 CAD ($130 USD)... I don't see that in the maintenance manual.

Dealer trying to make a buck or expected service at 112k miles?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      '08 XC90 3.2 - Current | '10 V50 R-Design T5 M66 - Sold | '89 740 GLE 16 valve tank, Sold @ 640k km

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Canít beat a bottle or two of Techron fuel injector (fuel system) cleaner. Iíve been using it for the past 30+ years with excellent results. The last two tanks of gasoline before your scheduled oil change add a bottle to each fill up. It cleans injectors very well as Iíve done some before and after testing with great results. $20-$30 bucks sure beats dealer pricing, what do you have to lose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just dump in a big bottle of Chevron Techron. It's what most car manufacturers brand as their own, and sell it for 2-3 times the price.
      2006 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, Touring, Convenience and RSE. Silver w/ Graphite
      2014 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost Elite, Tech, Pano, 20Ē, Rear Captains. Pearl/Black
      Past: 2008 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, BLIS, Dynaudio, Bi-Xenon. Ember black w/ Sandstone
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD 7-Passenger w/ Climate, Premium and Versatility packages and Xenon headlights.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

+1... they are out to make $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
      Just dump in a big bottle of Chevron Techron. It's what most car manufacturers brand as their own, and sell it for 2-3 times the price.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      '08 XC90 3.2 - Current | '10 V50 R-Design T5 M66 - Sold | '89 740 GLE 16 valve tank, Sold @ 640k km

I've used the Canadian Tire Motomaster fuel injector cleaner in the past. It goes on sale regularly and is probably pretty close to the Chevron product. Can double the dose if you want extra cleaning perhaps. I'll be putting it in a few tanks in a row to help get my setup cleaned out.
      Last edited by CDN XC90; 12-27-2017 at 02:35 PM.
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Contrast Works Stage 2 tune with Eco Enhance mode, Snabb fresh air pipe and downpipe, custom triple resonated catback, HEICO (BMC) sport air filter, Bilstein B4 front struts with HEICO rear struts and lowering springs, IPD Swaybars, strut brace conversion kit, and subframe bushing inserts. Fast FC05 20x8.5 with 255/45/20 Conti DWS06. Falken HS449 235/65/17 winters. JL 500/1 with Pioneer TS-SWX2502 subwoofer under cargo tray. LED low/hi beams, Tuxmats.

Use good quality gas, when in doubt about what you just put in your car, drop in a bottle of injector cleaner. Heck, wind blows from the South, drop in a bottle of injector cleaner, never hurts to put one in occasionally. Change out your fuel filter on a regular basis (I happen to do mine at around 50k instead of 120k in the manual) and you're probably fine.
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 12-27-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: occasionally
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 200k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 130k

I was just traveling and experienced a P0101 and P2188 error. I've seen this before on cold winter trips, but this time the CEL kept coming back during the trip, even after I cleared it.

The RPM would stumble, but never stall. A Volvo mechanic was close by, but I didn't have the time to leave the car with him for a long time. He recommended an injector flush and a throttle body cleaning. I normally don't do such services, but I was on the road, the CEL kept occuring and the car was a bit sluggish.

I got to say, the flush of the throttle body and injector cleaning helped the idle a lot; restored some MPG and the CEL never returned on the 850 mile return trip. My motor has 160K and never had such service performed. Wish I would have done this earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by FischerCarbonlite View Post
      Canít beat a bottle or two of Techron fuel injector (fuel system) cleaner. Iíve been using it for the past 30+ years with excellent results. The last two tanks of gasoline before your scheduled oil change add a bottle to each fill up. It cleans injectors very well as Iíve done some before and after testing with great results. $20-$30 bucks sure beats dealer pricing, what do you have to lose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Have not used it in my xc60 but I highly recommend. My 2005 Honda Pilot loves the stuff. Have about 220k on her right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throttle body flush works wonders. Injector cleaner works well also. Tom

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements