57k 2000 V70R Refresh
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

57k 2000 V70R Refresh

Hey all, I've spent the last few months looking for a wagon, bouncing between a V90 or a P80 but ultimately settling on a P80 R since I have had 3 others. Thanks to the Craigslist finds thread I was able to jump on a 2000 V70R with 57k miles. The paint has faded on the tops of the front and rear bumpers, door handles, and the rear hatch handle cover. Other than that, it looks to be minty fresh (crosses fingers).. I'll be flying down Thursday night and driving it back to Detroit.

I'll be doing a Stage 0 on it this winter and in the spring I'll have plastic bits worked on, I'm not sure if they need a repaint or not. OEM+ mods will follow. After considering several project Volvos, and having a vision of building one project into a Cassis R, this popped up and will fit my needs a lot better than a project car would.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Is this the silver Miami one?
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Is this the silver Miami one?
      It is! A family member happened to be on vacation about 3 miles from the car so it worked out very well.

It will be my weekend car, I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee to crash around on Detroit's streets for work.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Great find, and you beat me to it!! It looked super clean! Hope it works out.
      1998 Volvo C70 - Mystic Silver/Charcoal, Stage III
      2007 Volvo S60r - Electric Silver/Nordkap - SOLD, and Missed.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Caspian Blue/Off-black

Quote Originally Posted by natopotato View Post
      It is! A family member happened to be on vacation about 3 miles from the car so it worked out very well.

It will be my weekend car, I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee to crash around on Detroit's streets for work.
      Well bought! I'm actually headed down there soon and if it was still there, I'd have been very tempted to drive it home...

Look forward to seeing your progress!
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body

I had friends who were interested in it too......seems like just about everyone was tempted by this (I can see why). Best of luck with it. I'm glad it landed somewhere where it won't be a daily. I was tempted myself but, as it is now, I already need to get rid of one of my Rs to get a legit daily.

I hope we'll get to see this at Carlisle this spring
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly

Welp, I got home with it last night around 4 a.m. Had a good time stopping in Asheville for BBQ and driving the entire length of Ohio in 4" of unplowed slop. It's a great car overall, some cosmetic issues but mechanically solid. Worthy of some love

The Good
      With 58k miles, it's a tight handling car with a good suspension and throttle response. This is my first 2000 V70R and I was impressed with the mpg's I was able to get on the way home. The seats are in fantastic condition, it looks like the rear seats have never been used.

The Bad
      I noticed a burnt oil smell wafting from the catalytic converter when I stopped to refuel and check the fluids in Asheville. It didn't last long, but I'm not sure if it indicates some blowby or another serious issue. I'll monitor the oil consumption in the next couple months. Also, the headlights suck so bad they might as well not be there, the fog lights were brighter than the headlights. I'll replace the bulbs for now until I can get some jewels.

The front of the sunroof frame is incredibly rusty and can't be saved, so that will be replaced.

The key fob looks like it was stomped on in a mosh pit, can I purchase and program a replacement?

The Ugly
      These bits are the worst parts of the car. I bought it sight unseen, having facetimed with the car and the owner sent me pictures I requested. A combination if me being a little naive and the seller withholding some truths I think the car has lived parked outside in the sun for much of it's life, lots of fading on the exterior plastic and some interior trim bits. The drivers interior door panel and hatch panel were barely attached, so I have to figure out if there are some missing clips. Cupholder and some other interior trim broken, some other things like the grab handles are either extremely faded or have been replaced with the wrong color handles. The roof has a dent that looks like a basketball landed on it, and there is a section of the B pillar that is scratched up with the clearcoat peeling. I don't know if there is a fix for that without repainting, I'm going to start looking for a good paint and body shop to take care of all the exterior problems.

-Are the rockguard stickers (not sure what the name of these is) look like alligator skin, can I purchase replacements for these?
      -Does Volvo still sell the fog and center grills?

Yep, the grills if you really want em can be bough still, Tasca usually has the best price

center: 9190034 LINK

Left: 9190033 LINK

right: 9190035 LINK

The rockguard stickers were probably just cut from a sheet, replace them with whatever and just cut to shape
      Last edited by Avboden; 12-31-2017 at 12:33 AM.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Does the remote work? If so, just get a replacement case. The remote that came with my dad's 99 NA had the same problem and he resolved that problem by swapping the circuit board into a new case.

+1 on DIYing the stickers. I have a bunch of nasty ones in the fleet here as well, so I'm going to try some clear bra material or something.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

The Ugly
      These bits are the worst parts of the car. I bought it sight unseen, having facetimed with the car and the owner sent me pictures I requested. A combination if me being a little naive and the seller withholding some truths I think the car has lived parked outside in the sun for much of it's life, lots of fading on the exterior plastic and some interior trim bits. The drivers interior door panel and hatch panel were barely attached, so I have to figure out if there are some missing clips. Cupholder and some other interior trim broken, some other things like the grab handles are either extremely faded or have been replaced with the wrong color handles. The roof has a dent that looks like a basketball landed on it, and there is a section of the B pillar that is scratched up with the clearcoat peeling. I don't know if there is a fix for that without repainting, I'm going to start looking for a good paint and body shop to take care of all the exterior problems.

-Are the rockguard stickers (not sure what the name of these is) look like alligator skin, can I purchase replacements for these?
      -Does Volvo still sell the fog and center grills?
      Bummer about the unmentioned issues. I wish sellers, particularly those of a car being bought remotely, would just say, "These are the problems:......" instead of playing games or overlooking/hiding issues. Seems like you got a great car and I look forward to seeing its progress.
      2007 XC70

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Yep, the grills if you really want em can be bough still, Tasca usually has the best price

center: 9190034 LINK

Left: 9190033 LINK

right: 9190035 LINK

The rockguard stickers were probably just cut from a sheet, replace them with whatever and just cut to shape
      This is awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Does the remote work? If so, just get a replacement case. The remote that came with my dad's 99 NA had the same problem and he resolved that problem by swapping the circuit board into a new case.

+1 on DIYing the stickers. I have a bunch of nasty ones in the fleet here as well, so I'm going to try some clear bra material or something.
      Great idea, the remote does work so I'll check ebay for a case.

Great idea, the remote does work so I'll check ebay for a case.
      Congrats on the purchase! If you want an original Volvo key FOB case, I have an extra laying around. I bought a second one on eBay and was going to program it, but never got around. PM me an address and I'll mail it to you. No sense in it sitting around.
      Last edited by Chicago_Wagon; 01-26-2018 at 05:33 PM.
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

All in all, your "Bad" and "Ugly" are not too bad IMHO for the money and miles. Nice little project for you.

Funny you posted a pic of the car in front of Luella's. I went there several years ago when I was in the area - great bbq!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

For the rock guard stickers, go to a graphics/print shop and ask them for a piece of 3M 8519 overlam. Its the clear film that they put on the vehicle decals to protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMo View Post
      For the rock guard stickers, go to a graphics/print shop and ask them for a piece of 3M 8519 overlam. Its the clear film that they put on the vehicle decals to protect it.
      Thank you for that tip!

You made a great score. None will be perfect at this age, but you got as close as humanly possible, I think. You only have a short distance to go to get it "the rest of the way".
      Long-distance buying can be a little nerve-wracking, but I've done it so many times now, it's second nature. Sometimes you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone to get what you really want.
      You have a great "basis" to start from. Especially those miles... Low mileage is like virginity - once it's gone, you can't buy it back for any amount of dough.

Personally, I figure my track record to be about 75%; that is, if it were local and I was standing right in front of it, would I have bought it?

As was mentioned, if only the fob case is damaged, you can buy those anywhere (Tasca, ipd, eBay), and swapping it takes all of about a minute.
      If you want a spare, that's where it gets into $$. The fob itself is not expensive (seems like $30-40), but it has to be "married" to the car. And if you want a key to go with it, that's a chip key (like $80) which also has to be matched to the car. If you go in cold, they usually charge you a half-hour labor, plus a "software fee" of like $40 - for both key and fob. In recent years, I've talked them into throwing in at least a good part of the cost together with another service.
      Maybe someone near you with a VIDA setup could do it, I don't know if that's a function it can perform. Someone here will know.
      The roof dent: show it to a good, experienced PDR guy. They need to have it accessible and generally need an opposing solid structure to leverage against, but they can often get very creative if need be.
      The paintwork: talk to a body shop, but also try to find a local "Sameday" or similar franchise that does spot painting. Often a good solution for those types of problems, that lets you get away without painting the whole panel, and "we also have to blend to the adjacent ones", blah-blah-blah.

eBay and dismantlers/JY's are good for the odd bits you need.

Good luck and have fun!
      Barry
      2007 V70R GT, Electric Silver / Nordkap
      2012 XC70 T6,CPO, Black Sapphire/Off-Black, Premier Plus, Climate, Polestar
      2000 V70R, Venetian Red / Two-Tone, with generally working headlight wipers!
      "It's a dirty story 'bout a Volvo man, and his clinging wife doesn't understand..."

As you might have seen through the classified section, Iíll be taking over the rehab of this vehicle.

Just got back to RI from MI. Car ran decently. Biggest issue is the power steering. Im assuming the rack is leaking pretty badly. Only holds fluid for about an hour or two before a refill is needed.

Also, how can I legitimately hijack this thread?
      Last edited by 855RI; 05-08-2020 at 11:10 AM.
      Current: 2000 V70R, 2020 S90 T6 R-Design
      Past: 1997 850 R , 1997 850 GLT, 1996 850 Turbo
      Others: 2018 GMC Terrain, 2013 Acura TSX (Hers)
      Retired: 2012 VW Jetta, 2010 VW Passat, 2007 Honda Accord, 2000 Ford Ranger, 1997 Pontiac Firebird

Not sure how to hijack, but im glad the car went to an Enthusiast !
      01 S60 T5M Black, middle sons
      00 S70 GLT Black, youngest sons
      01 E46 325 XI Touring Silver, Wifes, totalled, bought back, repaired
      00 S70 GLT5 SE Moondisaster, T5 Swap, MINE !

Quote Originally Posted by 855RI View Post

No point, start your own thread if you're the new owner
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Glad you bought it! I almost did because i'm local to it, I didn't *need* it, but it would have been a slight upgrade to my '98
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      No point, start your own thread if you're the new owner
      Really? The trend seems to be to keep the thread going for a specific vehicle so the maintenance and other updates are clearly (and chronologically) kept in one place. It's what I've done with Fred's Venetian and others have done. But, to each his own, I guess. As far as "legitimately" taking over, I'd say just start posting updates here. The previous owner gave up the car. So, unless he requests a thread delete from a moderator, it won't go anywhere.

Also, congratulations on the purchase, 850RI!
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

Keep the thread alive
      01 S60 T5M Black, middle sons
      00 S70 GLT Black, youngest sons
      01 E46 325 XI Touring Silver, Wifes, totalled, bought back, repaired
      00 S70 GLT5 SE Moondisaster, T5 Swap, MINE !

As you might have see through the classified section, Iíll be taking over the rehab of this vehicle.

Just got back to RI from MI. Car ran decently. Biggest issue is the power steering. Im assuming the rack is leaking pretty badly. Only holds fluid for about an hour or two before a refill is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      If you just want to keep posting in this thread, as many do, then swing away and just keep posting. If you want the title updated, send me a PM. If you prefer to have more complete control over the thread (like the ability to update the first post), then you'll need to start your own thread.
      2007 XC70

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      If you just want to keep posting in this thread, as many do, then swing away and just keep posting. If you want the title updated, send me a PM. If you prefer to have more complete control over the thread (like the ability to update the first post), then you'll need to start your own thread.
      Got it. I don't feel the need to start a new one, so I will continue to use this thread. May PM to update the title though.

yep that is the way to do it ^

thread should go with the car to keep as much history in one place as possible

congrats on the acquisition!

I havenít done much with the car after picking it up. I basically drove it back to RI and parked it. Still deciding on what to do about the power steering issue. The refresh was going to be slow and steady but a big issue like that right out of the gate will definitely slow the progress.

Once I got her back home I did a once
      - The front and rear bumpers are pretty trashed
      - rocker panel covers are in need of a respray
      - The roof has big dents
      - The door panels and door cards are hanging on by a thread (all 4!?!?)
      - center dash speaker grill is toast (broke into pieces when I touched it)
      - rear hatch cover is missing
      - shifter display is missing (no PRND)
      - The headlights are basically useless, one of which was out for 1/2 the ride back home until I found one in the car and replaced it. Didnít help at all, I still had to ride with the high beams on in the dark to see about .2 feet ahead of me
      - aforementioned power steering issue
      - brakes are terrible and shudder like crazy
      - abs module needs to be redone
      - coolant light is perpetually on, hopefully itís just a sensor since the dash gauge read normal the whole way back
      - loud clunk / squeaking coming from the right front suspension area. Thereís a spring seat in the back of the car so I might try to see if that helps the issue

Thatís all I can remember off the top of my head.

A few pics

77k!

Roof dent, it actually goes all the way across if you catch it at the right angle

These have been resprayed and need it done again

Retired: 2012 VW Jetta, 2010 VW Passat, 2007 Honda Accord, 2000 Ford Ranger, 1997 Pontiac Firebird

Still deciding on what to do about the power steering issue. The refresh was going to be slow and steady but a big issue like that right out of the gate will definitely slow the progress.
      If youíre okay throwing a few bucks at it that might literally just go down the drain if youíre not environmentally conscious ó or might just be a decent fix ó try the Valvoline MaxLife Automatic Transmission Stop Leak (see Ozark Leeís comments on MVS here: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=38436).

I had the same issue as you on the Ď98 S70 I just picked up in PA last month, and decided to give this a try yesterday. Was probably putting a quart of ATF in every 150 miles. Not completely sealed yet, but itís already diminished tremendously after putting in less than a quart of this stuff. Hoping Iíll have the same result as Ozark Lee after a week or so!

BD

1998 S70 GL, 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P* (1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60. 2.5T FWD RIP)
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

So what youíre saying is that you need $5k.

06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post

Lol

Sounds like a typical low mile grandma owned P80.... which I'm betting is what this car was for the first 57k.

$3200. Done it 3 times.

Donítcha love a low mileage p80, especially an awd?
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 206k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 299k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 243k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      $3200. Done it 3 times.

Donítcha love a low mileage p80, especially an awd?
      Uh love might not be the word Iíd use. Pity is more like it. Have had a soft spot for 850ís for years but I wanted to try something different but similar. Here I sit.

Also, accepting donations for the cause #P80pity

And I forgot to mention itís FWD because the Driveshaft is shot... ADD IT TO THE LIST!!!

-_-

Quote Originally Posted by 88domer View Post
      If youíre okay throwing a few bucks at it that might literally just go down the drain if youíre not environmentally conscious ó or might just be a decent fix ó try the Valvoline MaxLife Automatic Transmission Stop Leak (see Ozark Leeís comments on MVS here: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=38436).

I had the same issue as you on the Ď98 S70 I just picked up in PA last month, and decided to give this a try yesterday. Was probably putting a quart of ATF in every 150 miles. Not completely sealed yet, but itís already diminished tremendously after putting in less than a quart of this stuff. Hoping Iíll have the same result as Ozark Lee after a week or so!

BD

1998 S70 GL, 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P* (1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60. 2.5T FWD RIP)
      I think I read somewhere that the 2000 switched to an actual Power sterling fluid and not the ATF that was used in earlier P80 cars. So not sure this would work.
      Last edited by 855RI; 11-18-2019 at 11:14 AM.

I think I read somewhere that the 2000 switched to an actual Power sterling fluid and not the ATF that was used in earlier P80 cars. So not sure this would work.
      Online manual says itís still ATF: http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/.../00sv70_09.htm

BD

Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast