SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

57k 2000 V70R Refresh

27K views 351 replies 33 participants last post by  855RI 
#1 ·
Hey all, I've spent the last few months looking for a wagon, bouncing between a V90 or a P80 but ultimately settling on a P80 R since I have had 3 others. Thanks to the Craigslist finds thread I was able to jump on a 2000 V70R with 57k miles. The paint has faded on the tops of the front and rear bumpers, door handles, and the rear hatch handle cover. Other than that, it looks to be minty fresh (crosses fingers).. I'll be flying down Thursday night and driving it back to Detroit.

I'll be doing a Stage 0 on it this winter and in the spring I'll have plastic bits worked on, I'm not sure if they need a repaint or not. OEM+ mods will follow. After considering several project Volvos, and having a vision of building one project into a Cassis R, this popped up and will fit my needs a lot better than a project car would.

#82 ·
Shipped the car off to Ben at Rolling Motors to get some stuff sorted out. Also bit the bullet and got a new driveshaft to restore the AWD.

Still on the hunt for parts, so I will be trying to source them while the car is laid up at the shop.

#84 ·
Power steering, it sounds like it is the rack but I'm still hoping it's something less. Then there's an intermittent starting issue. Haven't had the time to track the source of that down so I'm just having them take a look. Other than that, it needs to be inspected (damn RI laws) and I asked them to make sure there are no glaring issues preventing inspection.

#85 ·
855RI, you may not believe this... but I actually test drove this car before your previous owner picked it up and made this thread! This was back before I was really into Volvos.

I was visiting my dad back in December of 2017 when we were on vacation in Miami. He wanted a comfy and cheap car he could put bikes in the back of and when I saw one in the area, I couldn't believe it, since it was selling for something like only 3-4k to my knowledge even though the mileage was only 57k. I convinced him that if he got the car, when we returned to Virginia he could have my Acura and I would make the wagon my daily commuter/project.

However, we saw that the car was in rough-ish shape during the test drive in the interior regarding a sunroof leak and some other broken trim pieces around the car. We didn't mind that stuff though and the car rode well. We were about to buy it but just before we pulled back into the lot, the climate control system stopped working completely and the CD player/radio was glitching out... what luck we had... also it turns out that the rear brakes on the car were barely working so the stopping distance was a bit scary and you really had to stomp on the pedal. This compilation of misfortunes was unfortunately a deal breaker for my old man and we had to walk away empty handed though we both wanted the car. The powertrain itself still felt brand new.

About 2 months later though I found a nearly one owner '96 Black 850R sedan with only 75k miles near me. I was able to pick it up the day I test drove it, and sold my Acura a few weeks later to pay off the debt. I was halfway through restoring the sedan in August 2018 when I found a 2000 V70R for sale, with the same paint and interior setup as yours! I picked it up with 87k miles, eventually sold the R sedan, and the rest is history on the thread for my wagon.

I'm very happy to see that this car ended up going to an enthusiast, and I can't wait to see how it'll be when it comes back from Rolling Motors... I'd love to send mine there for a possible future manual swap. I hope that the car will treat you well. They're unicorns these days, especially with such low mileage. :beer: :)

#86 ·
855RI, you may not believe this... but I actually test drove this car before your previous owner picked it up and made this thread! This was back before I was really into Volvos.

I was visiting my dad back in December of 2017 when we were on vacation in Miami. He wanted a comfy and cheap car he could put bikes in the back of and when I saw one in the area, I couldn't believe it, since it was selling for something like only 3-4k to my knowledge even though the mileage was only 57k. I convinced him that if he got the car, when we returned to Virginia he could have my Acura and I would make the wagon my daily commuter/project.

However, we saw that the car was in rough-ish shape during the test drive in the interior regarding a sunroof leak and some other broken trim pieces around the car. We didn't mind that stuff though and the car rode well. We were about to buy it but just before we pulled back into the lot, the climate control system stopped working completely and the CD player/radio was glitching out... what luck we had... also it turns out that the rear brakes on the car were barely working so the stopping distance was a bit scary and you really had to stomp on the pedal. This compilation of misfortunes was unfortunately a deal breaker for my old man and we had to walk away empty handed though we both wanted the car. The powertrain itself still felt brand new.

About 2 months later though I found a nearly one owner '96 Black 850R sedan with only 75k miles near me. I was able to pick it up the day I test drove it, and sold my Acura a few weeks later to pay off the debt. I was halfway through restoring the sedan in August 2018 when I found a 2000 V70R for sale, with the same paint and interior setup as yours! I picked it up with 87k miles, eventually sold the R sedan, and the rest is history on the thread for my wagon.

I'm very happy to see that this car ended up going to an enthusiast, and I can't wait to see how it'll be when it comes back from Rolling Motors... I'd love to send mine there for a possible future manual swap. I hope that the car will treat you well. They're unicorns these days, especially with such low mileage. :beer: :)
Oh I believe it. Had I been in the scene when this car was for sale originally, I would have been interested then too. I'm glad you were able to find one just like it though, and it looks like you got a killer deal on it. This particular car needs a lot of TLC and I'm trying to do my best by it.

#87 ·
Speaking of TLC, I took the day to take a ride down to Rolling Motors and drop off the new driveshaft. Had a great time talking with Ben, in fact we also talked manual swaps and M58 vs M66. Anyway, He should be getting to my car on the next week or two (fingers crossed). I also got to meet and talk with SonicBlueR (Chris). Two great guys!

After that I swung by ScottishBrick’s to pick up a few things, although I was tempted pick pick up a lot more. It was quite the day. Good things coming together.

#88 · (Edited)
I haven't updated in a while. I sent the car off to Rolling Motors back in November and patiently awaited its return. Ben was super busy, but thankfully I was able to get the car back last week.

I had a long laundry list of things that needed to be done in order for the car to be confidently road ready:
New Spark Plugs (to help the starting issue)
New front brakes (rotors, calipers, and pads)
New seals in the power steering rack, new fluid 05+ reservoir (power steering now works)
New front suspension (struts, control arms, tie rods)
4 wheel alignment
New driveshaft (AWD now works)

The car drove great all the way home, and has been driving great everyday since! I just swapped the ABS Module to clear the ABS/TRACS light. With that, we now have a dash clear of warning lights (We will see how long that lasts!)

The plan is to get it inspected soon so she's 100% road legal. I am still on the hunt for a bunch of parts, and there is still a long way to go, but this work has checked a lot of things off the list!

#97 ·
get some legit glue and glue it back together. The green stuff is the factory shiity glue that didn't work.

#99 ·
#106 ·
3m trim tape has held your door sill trim on, most wings on, belt trim on the outside of the car for 20+ years. Its damn near permanent when applied to a good surface.

#110 ·
Thanks for the 3M tape suggestions on fixing the doors. I will have to look into it.

As expected, I cleared the dash of all warning lights and now I have a CEL. Throwing code P0014 - advanced timing. Anyone know how to troubleshoot this issue?

Of course I’m doing my research through the forums, but by now, there is 2,3,4+ different ways to do things on these cars and it’s hard to work my way through the weeds efficiently.

#112 ·
Exhaust camshaft?
I am out of my element on this one... it says "Cam Position Activator B, Bank 1, Timing Over Advance" which seems to indicate the timing is off but I am not so sure. Could also be the camshaft position sensor. I had the sensor issue in my VAG cars, not on a Volvo before, so I'm doing as much research as I can.

#114 · (Edited)
Tried to get the battlewagon inspected yesterday. Turns out that due to the now expired registration I can't get a proper state inspection. Before anyone criticizes, I renewed it but needed inspection before they will send the stickers. Queue the hamster wheel... so I ended up paying $55 for an "alternate" inspection which basically gives me a sheet of paper saying I failed inspection due to expired reg. Now I have to call the registry department to see what's next. After (if?) I get the registration issue fixed, I joyfully get to spend and other $55 on another state inspection. So the car will be off the road until until further notice, but that's fine as no one is allowed to go anywhere anyway...

After that frustrating start to the day, I took some time to catch up on some to-do's. Thanks to ScottishBrick I have a nice set of headlights installed...

Turns out the headlight wipers actually work, they were just unplugged. I left them that way as you can see I currently only have 1 wiper arm. Still a surprise to me as I have never had a P80 with working headlamp wipers. +1 for the battle wagon.

Disappointingly I discovered that the bumper brackets are toast

After that I also noticed the fog light brackets are in the same condition. I removed the driver side and it pretty much crumbled in my hand!

I had about enough of the front end, so I went to the rear and took out the spare tire. Hello nightmare...

Looks to be a 22 year old well worn (?) tire that has started to split on the sidewall!

Annoyed at this point I reinstalled the spare in the trunk as best I could and called it a day.

#116 ·
Yes, functional AWD. The spare tire size the same size as what is on the car now with the 16" Satellite rims. I am not sure this is OEM spare or some junk part that ended up in this car.

Basically, I just have to get a new tire. The one I have is too old and has has too much use. You cant see the tread on it, but it is well worn.

#117 ·
I called the registry today, and by some miracle I got someone who knows what they are doing and I should have my new registration in the mail within a few days.

#118 · (Edited)
What a day was had a day today. A simple errand turned into a 3 hour ordeal that ended with me walking the last few miles home.

This is becoming far too familiar of a site. It will be back off to the shop tomorrow for further diagnosis

#121 ·
Where to begin... It's been throwing the P0014 code intermittently. Sure enough, soon as I turned it on, the CEL popped back up. I read it, as usual: P0014. I drove around the neighborhood to make sure there was nothing else going on. No issues, so I figured a 5 mile trip wouldn't be too much. I made it to my destination fine, stopped, left it running, hopped back in and then took the highway home to do a circle rather than retrace my tracks. As I sat at a stoplight before getting on the highway, the idle felt a little rough. I figured that was due to the CEL issue and continued on. As I merged on to the highway, the car revved up to about 4k and just sat there, no gearshift, so I knew something was wrong. I backed off the throttle and continued on for about a mile, then it started bucking and running really rough, sorta like a misfire. I coasted to a stop, luckily off the highway at this point, and turned it off. Then came the smoke when I popped the hood, so the super nosy small business owner called the fire department, who came because they "have nothing else to do" :confused:... Once that was all settled, He helped me determine that there was smoke coming off the DP. So I let that cool down, turned it back on, and the idle was still super rough :thumbdown: Cue the tow truck and the photo.

After talking to a few people, I think there are multiple issues going on. It will be going back to Rolling Motors for a diagnosis when I get the chance to work out the logistics.

#120 ·
Glad you decided to socially distance from the tow truck driver instead of riding with him!

#122 ·
The AAA call center asked a bunch of questions about my health with the preface of "this will not change our level of service", & told me they would arrange a ride with a service if I needed one to get home, because they are not allowing rides in the cab of the trucks. Then the guy comes, we chat, I take off walking and He's like "Woah, you don't need a ride?" I said, NO THANK YOU, and you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

As I walked home through the town mini-ghetto, I see people hanging out together on porches! Like WTF do you not get about social distancing, even in a ****ty apartment building you can still stay way from your neighbors! I swear people are out there just tempting fate :angryfire:

#123 ·
Just got my box of parts I ordered from FCP before the car decided to make a mess of itself... that'll just have to sit for the time being. New coil pack has been ordered and is awaiting installation at the shop. That should take care of the misfire. Still to be determined what is causing the smoke.

In other news, still have not received my registration paperwork in the mail, and the DMV is closed, indefinitely, due to COVID-19 concerns. Can't say I blame them, but still annoying. So car is likely not registered and not inspected. I have never been so non compliant with this stuff in my entire adult life. It's stressing me out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.