Center speaker on dash for stock audio
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Center speaker on dash for stock audio

Good news is I saw photos of B&W center speakers installed on XC60 with standard audio. It is about $400+, one tweeter and one mid-range, and the matching panel. Installation is easy, 30 minutes. There is no wiring there, so need to tap to left and right door speaker wire the minimum.

Sound quality is said to be improved but sound field change is not sure.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 01-04-2018 at 09:34 AM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Meh, either get the B&W complete package when ordering/purchasing the vehicle or fuhgeddaboudit after the fact. Just me.
      Currently Own:

2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription — Replaced my 2016 XC90 First Edition

2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum — Replaced my 2017 Audi Q7

Well either some people don't have the right builded vehicle on the dealer's lot or 3k for speakers they can't hear the difference won't go for it. For $400+ I would try it also.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I don't think it a good idea tapping to left and right speaker wire though. That will merge the left and right output and cancel any stereo sound effect. Not sure how to do it properly. A different amplifier would be needed. The OEM amplifier is $12xx and too expensive. Third party amp $4xx, but need to make sure sound quality is good.

Or a small separate amp can be added to get voltage input from left and right speaker, do a (L+R)/2 mix internally then power the center speakers. This should be still easy enough.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 01-04-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Non B&W Center speaker retrofit seems easier on XC60

Read on a Chinese forum that the amplifier comes with a center speaker output. The retrofit is just some panel un/install and plug&play.

Still doubtful about the output. Don't have details but the cost is around $450 installed there. Would be nice just to get the looking.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 06-04-2018 at 01:21 AM.

do you have any more details about this project?
      part no etc??
      which amplifier?the B&W one?i think this one costs $1xxx
      '18 XC60 T6 R-design-Polestar-Crystal pearl white-Xenium pack-winter pack-paddles-smartphone int.-high line lights-21" 255/40/21

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Read on a Chinese forum that the amplifier comes with a center speaker output. The retrofit is just some panel un/install and plug&play.

Still doubtful about the output. Don't have details but the cost is around $450 installed there. Would be nice just to get the looking.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Perhaps on the models produced in China, there are nothing on the EU models.

Earlier it was checked
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Is there a center speaker in the standard equipment audio system? If so, this may be doable, but you must be cognizant of impedance matching. I would also question the sound balance of such a setup. The B&W speakers no doubt have a different sonic signature that would throw off the sound of the system, which begs the question: Why do this?

Only B&W system has center speaker

The standard audio system has 10 speakers
      On driver's and passenger's door are 3 speakers, 2 speakers in the rear door, this is a total of 10 speakers
      Last edited by BigBang; 06-04-2018 at 01:36 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Only B&W system has center speaker

The standard audio system has 10 speakers
      On driver's and passenger's door are 3 speakers, 2 speakers in the rear door, this is a total of 10 speakers
      What's below the center dash speaker-like mesh cover on the standard configuration? "Fake" speaker look?

Quote Originally Posted by vlvownr View Post
      What's below the center dash speaker-like mesh cover on the standard configuration? "Fake" speaker look?
      There is nothing below speaker mesh cover, you can simply check, lift the net and find that there is a hole

Original B&W speaker costs $ 262 ( or 244$) + the protective cover-net $ 48

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...48c33e5f3YhonN

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...48c33e5f3YhonN
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I remember seeing a center speaker kit on Aliexpress for $1200 - it included a wiring harness too. Not sure one speaker is worth that much....

Quote Originally Posted by spas1 View Post
      I remember seeing a center speaker kit on Aliexpress for $1200 - it included a wiring harness too. Not sure one speaker is worth that much....
      On Aliexpress is a fake Chinese copy, only a fool can pay $ 1200 for a speaker copy if the original is $ 260

Here same Center speaker is US$280 including shipping cost. (included a wiring harness)
      https://www.incarpassion.com/volvo-x...enter-speaker/
      Last edited by BigBang; 11-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Has anyone retrofitted the OEM loudspeaker or that B&W speaker? Too bad that the only sound upgrade on XC60 R-Design was B&W. I'm not an audiophile to justify ~$3k USD for premium sound but I would have appreciated a front speaker and even something like a Harman Kardon system.
      Last edited by vlvownr; 11-20-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vlvownr View Post
      Has anyone retrofitted the OEM loudspeaker or that B&W speaker? Too bad that the only sound upgrade on XC60 R-Design was B&W. I'm not an audiophile to justify ~$3k USD for premium sound but I would have appreciated a front speaker and even something like a Harman Kardon system.
      I have Harmon Kardon sound and I am fine with the performance, even though the same HK (with different tech) sounds better in my other european car.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      I have Harmon Kardon sound and I am fine with the performance, even though the same HK (with different tech) sounds better in my other european car.
      HK is standard on US R-Design/Inscription models, not so in Canada. We get the regular audio + BW as an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      "Your other European car" aren't you just awesome
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Out of curiosity, I emailed the company - https://www.incarpassion.com/volvo-x...enter-speaker/

They claim it's plug 'n play (includes wiring harness) and the standard audio system has an OEM center channel output (disconnected). $280 shipped. Has anyone removed the center channel plastic grille to see if there's a connector?
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      Out of curiosity, I emailed the company - https://www.incarpassion.com/volvo-x...enter-speaker/

They claim it's plug 'n play (includes wiring harness) and the standard audio system has an OEM center channel output (disconnected). $280 shipped. Has anyone removed the center channel plastic grille to see if there's a connector?
      That's a lot for a knockoff.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements