2016 XC90 spark plug issue
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2016 XC90 spark plug issue

Are people bringing in their MY16 XC90 just to have the spark plug service performed? We haven’t had any engine issues and I’d prefer to wait until I bring it in for the 40,000 mile maintenance in a couple months. Volvo hasn’t issued a recall or even notified me of the spark plug issue. This site is the only reason I even know about it. At the same time I don’t want to press my luck. Are people worried enough to go in just for this?
      2012 C70
      2016 XC90 T6

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SCDoc View Post
      Are people bringing in their MY16 XC90 just to have the spark plug service performed? We haven’t had any engine issues and I’d prefer to wait until I bring it in for the 40,000 mile maintenance in a couple months. Volvo hasn’t issued a recall or even notified me of the spark plug issue. This site is the only reason I even know about it. At the same time I don’t want to press my luck. Are people worried enough to go in just for this?
      I'd not wait. There is another post reported engine damage from this just days ago.

Not sure which XC90 model you have. The TJ is recommending at the service interval, but it is up to you. There is no official recall. T8s are apparently not affected.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I took mine in as soon as I heard of the issue as unlike the sluggish Sensus issues, this involves the power train. I'm not taking any chances here. It was the only service I had the dealer perform.
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post
      I took mine in as soon as I heard of the issue as unlike the sluggish Sensus issues, this involves the power train. I'm not taking any chances here. It was the only service I had the dealer perform.
      I assume this was done out of pocket or was this covered under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
      See posts 23 and 25 at https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ht=spark+plugs
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
      Volvo's on the hook for this one. Any car with FWD between 15-16 (forget if 17 is there?) and the Drive-E are affected. Therefore, Volvo dealerships are replacing the plugs at Volvo's expense.

Issues include plugs cracking...Engine Damage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Volvo's on the hook for this one. Any car with FWD between 15-16 (forget if 17 is there?) and the Drive-E are affected. Therefore, Volvo dealerships are replacing the plugs at Volvo's expense.

If I had a 17 I'd take it in and have it checked. Could have been built in 2016!
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

Not just Front wheel drive cars are affected. All Drive E models except for the T8 platforms are affected up to late 2016 are affected.

This includes

T5 Drive E Non spa platform
      T6 Drive E Non spa platform

T5 Spa platform
      T6 Spa platform

DOESN’T INCLUDE

T8 platform Spa

Late model builds are also not affected I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- ——> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us——-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.moor View Post
      Not just Front wheel drive cars are affected. All Drive E models except for the T8 platforms are affected up to late 2016 are affected.

This includes

T5 Spa platform
      T6 Spa platform

DOESN’T INCLUDE

T8 platform Spa

Did Volvo ever isolate the cause of the cracking spark plugs? Was it poor build quality / inferior components or a design flaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Not sure which XC90 model you have. The TJ is recommending at the service interval, but it is up to you. There is no official recall. T8s are apparently not affected.

This includes

T5 Spa platform
      T6 Spa platform

DOESN’T INCLUDE

T8 platform Spa

Why are T8s not affected and is this for sure?
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

Did Volvo ever isolate the cause of the cracking spark plugs? Was it poor build quality / inferior components or a design flaw?
      The ceramic was unable to stand up to the high temps and pressure I believe. They really are paying the price of it with the buybacks and replacement engines as a result.

2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- ——> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us——-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

1946 CJ2A Restore

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      Why are T8s not affected and is this for sure?
      I honestly couldn’t tell you why. I believe they may have used a different spark plug design??? Possibly different due to the added tech of the T8 drivetrain, like the relocation of some parts

1946 CJ2A Restore

The ceramic was unable to stand up to the high temps and pressure I believe. They really are paying the price of it with the buybacks and replacement engines as a result.

Seems so. There are at least 2 threads on here where owners have had engine damage as a direct result of the spark plugs. Not sure the over incidences of engine failures, but even a few are costly. Because I have to imagine these owners are pushing for a buy back instead of a whole new engine. Which on a relatively new or newer car would significantly affect value.

At least Volvo recognizes the financial liability and is making an effort to correct the issue before it becomes an all out recall and extremely costly. I.E. The whole Takata Airbag mess and the Toyota Gas pedal Sticking.

I honestly couldn’t tell you why. I believe they may have used a different spark plug design??? Possibly different due to the added tech of the T8 drivetrain, like the relocation of some parts

I raised the issue with my dealer who followed up with Volvo and then I subsequently followed up with Volvo Customer Care who gave me the same information based on my VIN that my T8 was not affected. Hopefully, the spark plugs in the T8 are different and are not affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine is a fairly early 2016 (OSD, July 2015). The dealership indicated that it is not subject to the recall. Mine is a T6.
      Current: 2016 XC90 Inscription(OSD) w/ Convenience and Vision Packages, Twilight Bronze Metallic; 2007 BMW 335i Coupe w/Dinan Stage 2 Tune and M Body Kit; 1969 Volvo 1800S

I sure would have them pull the plugs and check the P/N. Mine is a 2017 XC90, M+ T6 and it did have the old problem plugs.

The time it takes to check is much faster then having a piece of a plug go through an engine and then wait for Volvo to either fix or replace or both the engine.

Such a simple fix, Still amazed that they just don't replace all of them.

Since mine was NOT in the recall VIN range, I had to pay for the plugs but dealership handled the labor. But much would rather pay the 220.00 for new plugs then the alternative.

Again, on this site, there is a detailed post with the old part number and new one. I believe in one of my older posts, I listed the new P/N,

Paul Caldwell
      LIttle Rock AR
      2017 XC90 T6

Quote Originally Posted by 26GAP View Post
      Mine is a fairly early 2016 (OSD, July 2015). The dealership indicated that it is not subject to the recall. Mine is a T6.
      If that's the case, then Volvo must have started out with the "good" plug. Later it switched to the "bad" plug and realized "Ooops! They fall apart!" Now it's back to the "good" plugs again. (*whew!*)

If I owned any 2015/2016/2017 model I'd definitely swap out the plugs.

Happy I have a 2018 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by 26GAP View Post
      If that's the case, then Volvo must have started out with the "good" plug. Later it switched to the "bad" plug and realized "Ooops! They fall apart!" Now it's back to the "good" plugs again. (*whew!*)

If I owned any 2015/2016/2017 model I'd definitely swap out the plugs.

Happy I have a 2018 :-)
      Only 18 months until we know what is screwed up with your 2018. (Sarcasm). (I have a 2016and have not had any significant issues).

Mine was built in early 2016 and doesn't require new plugs. I have written confirmation from the dealership in case they were not right.

Quote Originally Posted by carz View Post
      Mine was built in early 2016 and doesn't require new plugs. I have written confirmation from the dealership in case they were not right.
      What does the 'confirmation' say?
      - You don't require them per VIN range
      - We checked, you have the new 'cold' plugs per the TJ

Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      What does the 'confirmation' say?
      - You don't require them per VIN range
      - We checked, you have the new 'cold' plugs per the TJ
      Yes, they checked the VIN and said it is one of the first cars with the revised plugs. We will see what happens, I will ask them again when I drop it for service in the next month or so.

I would like the see Volvo’s internal documentation on the issue. They owe it to their customers to be transparent

There is zero chance the supplier is not paying Volvo for cracked plugs if I had to guess. Good grief it is a spark plug they've only had a little more than 100 years to get it right. I don't care what engine you are putting it in there is absolutely no excuse for broken insulators outside of a detonating engine. It is a catastrophic type failure that can only be a result of manufacturing defect. There is a contract with the manufacturer and I would guess a failure rate is stipulated prior to full recall. Politics and business notwithstanding.
      '94 850 Turbo - sold -'07 V70R - sold - 2009 BMW 135i M sold
      FOR SALE 2015.5 V60 Polestar | Rebel Blue | #64
      2016 XC90 #492
      2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT

What do we know about long term engine performance? permanent damage? I’m sure they can test for both and would have answers

Does anyone know if this effects MY16 S90's too?

Quote Originally Posted by S90Flash View Post
      Does anyone know if this effects MY16 S90's too?
      Service Action S29842 is only for "certain model year 2015 – 2016 XC60, S60, V60, S80, XC70 & 2016 XC90 vehicles equipped with 4-cylinder engines"; so I guess not at this moment?
      2017 XC90 T6 Momentum w/ Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience
      2019 XC60 T8 R-Design w/ Advanced

Previous: 2015.5 XC60 Drive-E T5 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by jiehan View Post
      Service Action S29842 is only for "certain model year 2015 – 2016 XC60, S60, V60, S80, XC70 & 2016 XC90 vehicles equipped with 4-cylinder engines"; so I guess not at this moment?
      Thank you but i thought XC90 and S90 had same engines?

Thank you but i thought XC90 and S90 had same engines?
      What country are you in? You may have an early build 2016 S90 that the US volvotechinfo website may not report for. If you have a 2016 s90 that is.

1946 CJ2A Restore

What country are you in? You may have an early build 2016 S90 that the US volvotechinfo website may not report for. If you have a 2016 s90 that is.

USA
      I have a 2017 S90 FWD i am not sure about the exact MFG date though. Can i look it up somewhere?

USA
      Then you have a 2017 or 2018 S90. I don’t believe they’re affected by the spark plug issue. Your dealer should be able to confirm this.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

1946 CJ2A Restore

Then you have a 2017 or 2018 S90. I don’t believe they’re affected by the spark plug issue. Your dealer should be able to confirm this.

Yep i have a 2017 S90 but i think my MFG date was 2016. Would that mean anything or is it based on model year?

Yep i have a 2017 S90 but i think my MFG date was 2016. Would that mean anything or is it based on model year?
      It’s based on model year and VIN ranges. I don’t believe any s90 models are affected.

1946 CJ2A Restore

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
      I sure would have them pull the plugs and check the P/N. Mine is a 2017 XC90, M+ T6 and it did have the old problem plugs.

The time it takes to check is much faster then having a piece of a plug go through an engine and then wait for Volvo to either fix or replace or both the engine.

Such a simple fix, Still amazed that they just don't replace all of them.

Since mine was NOT in the recall VIN range, I had to pay for the plugs but dealership handled the labor. But much would rather pay the 220.00 for new plugs then the alternative.

Again, on this site, there is a detailed post with the old part number and new one. I believe in one of my older posts, I listed the new P/N,

Paul Caldwell
      LIttle Rock AR
      2017 XC90 T6
      What's a P/N? I purchased OEM spark plugs off ebay. How do I check to see if they are the good ones?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast