Invisihitch 2.0 for XC90 now available
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Folks,

As many of you know, Invisihitch is an OEM hitch manufacturer that developed an invisible hitch for the XC90 in response to requests from this forum. (You can view the original post here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-now-available).

Now, in response to suggestions that again began on this forum, Invisihitch has upgraded its XC90 hitch. I'm really pleased to be able to tell you that we heard you. It took much longer than I expected, but the Invisihitch 2.0 for XC90 is now available.

This new hitch adds support for the most requested feature -- collapsible collision protection for the entire rear area of the vehicle, including the rear corner panels. In addition, the whole hitch now collapses much more like the factory crush bumper in response to rear-end collisions, absorbing and dissipating crash energy better than before.

This redesign effort took many months and had one lofty goal -- to advance the safety of hitches beyond what is currently available from any other hitch manufacturer.

Based on impact tests of the XC90 crush bumper and several XC90 hitches, including the Volvo OEM hitch, I believe we achieved our goal. The Invisihitch 2.0 comes closer to reproducing the energy-absorption and crumple-zone engagement behavior of the factory crush bumper than any other hitch on the market, and it extends this protection to the entire area covered by the factory bumper.

I really want to thank this community for stimulating this effort. I'm not sure that we would have undertaken such a long, expensive, iterative design-crush-redesign project without the urging here. It's not a coincidence that we undertook this type of project first for a Volvo vehicle.

Finally, on a personal note, I very much enjoy being a part of this community. Your feedback -- even if you favor a different hitch -- has made my work more interesting. So thank you for that! I will try to check in more regularly.

Cheers,
      Daryl
      www.invisihitch.com

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I guess I should add the following before anyone asks:

The aesthetic advantages and load-carrying advantages of the original Invisihitch have all been retained. There is still no trace of a hitch on your vehicle (no visible bumper cut and no hitch beam showing), and the new version continues to support the full 6,000 lb tow rating of the XC90 (whereas Volvo's hitch tops out at 5,000 lbs).

Also, this new version of the Invisihitch continues to come with the same wiring harness and controller as the Volvo hitch, so no concerns about electrical or warranty issues.

In short, nothing was taken away, just better protection added.

Great news Daryl. Your timing is great for me, as I just picked up an XC90 last week and am looking at hitch options for my Thule T2 bike rack.

Does the 2.0 hitch effectively replace the existing one? Or is it a different product? ie. if I call to order, will I automatically get the newer hitch?

And lastly, when I've googled Invisihitch I always end up at Execuhitch. Is this correct? The Volvo hitches are not on their site.

Cheers, and thanks for your contributions!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Remaining inventory of our original XC90 hitch was discarded this past weekend, so all orders for an XC90 hitch will automatically get the new version.

As for Execuhitch, we purchased that company's assets, patents, etc more than five years ago. For some reason, its website still hasn't been redirected. It's one of those gifts that just keeps on giving whether we want it to or not!

Daryl

Thanks, Daryl! This is superb news. So, I understand that the T8's motor assembly is even more protected than ever?
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Can you please post a link to the Invisihitch 2.0 for the XC90 here Daryl? Thanks in advance.
      (Hers) Current Ride - 2020 V90CC T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90, 15.5 XC60, 17 XC60
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Thanks, Daryl! This is superb news. So, I understand that the T8's motor assembly is even more protected than ever?
      Yes, absolutely. While the new hitch fits all models of the XC90 SPA, the extra protection on the T8 may be seen as critical by some. Your question shows that you must already know the T8's electric motor assembly resides behind the rear corner panel -- an area that is left unprotected by the Volvo hitch and was also left unprotected by the previous version of the Invisihitch. Getting some steel in front of that area to protect it from collision damage was an important motivation for initially taking on this redesign project.
      Last edited by invisihitch; 01-16-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hfwilkesjr View Post
      Can you please post a link to the Invisihitch 2.0 for the XC90 here Daryl? Thanks in advance.
      I'm afraid I still don't see it listed on our website.

Those shopping for this hitch should also research the Stealthhitch. I’ve had mine for a few months and purchased it when the Invisihitch 2.0 wasn’t available. Both appear be the same now. Not sure about pricing differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Polestar tune + Racechip GTS, and Stealth Hitch
      2011 C30 (Ex K-Pax Racing)
      SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

I purchased the Invisihitch 1.0 for our 2017 XC90 T6. Is there any real reason to upgrade to the newer version?

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      Those shopping for this hitch should also research the Stealthhitch. I’ve had mine for a few months and purchased it when the Invisihitch 2.0 wasn’t available. Both appear be the same now. Not sure about pricing differences.

Might want to check the other invisihitch thread. Looks like there may be a lawsuit against stealthhitch.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
      2018 XC90 T6 R-Design | Onyx Black Metallic | Vision, Convenience, Climate, 22" 5-Double Spoke Wheels | Polestar*

Hi Daryl, I have your hitch which I bough dealing with Steve at the time. I love it and get compliments from jealous other SUV owners. Sorry to hear the troubles with said Steve. Can I suggest you guys pony-up and revamp your website as it is past due. In various forums I see people wondering if Invisihitch is a legit company. In this day of age its a must have if you want to stay in business. Don't wait until you get your money from the lawsuit.

Can you share at what impact speed your new crumple-zone is useful? Is it the same as Volvo with no hitch? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing speed details from testing result since Volvo hasn't been forthcoming with them for their own hitch as it removes the aluminum crash-bar.
      Last edited by PhatboyC; 01-17-2018 at 01:14 PM.
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invisihitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
      Hi Daryl, I have your hitch which I bough dealing with Steve at the time. I love it and get compliments from jealous other SUV owners. Sorry to hear the troubles with said Steve. Can I suggest you guys pony-up and revamp your website as it is past due. In various forums I see people wondering if Invisihitch is a legit company. In this day of age its a must have if you want to stay in business. Don't wait until you get your money from the lawsuit.

Can you share at what impact speed your new crumple-zone is useful? Is it the same as Volvo with no hitch? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing speed details from testing result since Volvo hasn't been forthcoming with them for their own hitch as it removes the aluminum crash-bar.
      Thanks for your compliments and suggestions. While I won't publicly share our impact curves -- and neither will any other OEM hitch manufacturer -- I can tell you that our goal was to duplicate the collision performance of the factory crush bumper at all speeds. At the slowest speeds (lowest energy collisions) the factory bumper outperforms the hitch in energy absorption. However, at speeds where injuries start to become a real concern, the Invisihitch 2.0 performs very much like the factory bumper.

The exciting thing is that this is where the bulk of R&D funds are being spent these days by OEM hitch manufacturers. I will take it as a wonderful challenge should another manufacturer manage to surpass us. Of course, the only way I will know will be to impact-test a number of their hitches because nobody in the industry is going to publish that data. It's simply too valuable as a differentiator in competitive bids to automotive manufacturers.

As for the website, I agree with you. It would be nice to have a stronger retail presence. Especially since I enjoy the consumer interaction on forums like this. However, retail is not really the focus of the company. I will try to push the issue again though.

In one of the previous posts, it was suggested that the Invisihitch is about the same as a knock-off product that has recently entered the market. Without getting into the legal issues facing that company, I must say that the two hitches really are quite different.

The Invisihitch was completely redesigned over the last several months, specifically to more closely reproduce the energy absorption/dissipation properties of the factory crush bumper.

The other company actually moved in the opposite direction. They filled the crumple area with steel.

You will never see an OEM hitch that takes this approach -- wedging a steel beam into the crumple gap between the crush bumper and the chassis. Doing so eliminates crumpling.

I've always given a nod of respect to the Volvo OEM hitch for its collision performance, even if I find its bumper cutout unsightly. Both the Volvo hitch and the Invisihitch are safety-oriented products. We now outperform the crumpling and corner protection of the Volvo hitch, but comparisons to the Volvo hitch are still fair and reasonable, since both are designed to crumple and protect people in rear-end collisions. That is just not the case with some other products.

Given the enormous R&D effort that went into the Invisihitch 2.0 -- all of which centered on improving safety -- I hope you will understand my desire to set the record straight on this issue.

Respectfully,
      Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
      In one of the previous posts, it was suggested that the Invisihitch is about the same as a knock-off product that has recently entered the market. Without getting into the legal issues facing that company, I must say that the two hitches really are quite different.

The Invisihitch was completely redesigned over the last several months, specifically to more closely reproduce the energy absorption/dissipation properties of the factory crush bumper.

The other company actually moved in the opposite direction. They filled the crumple area with steel.

You will never see an OEM hitch that takes this approach -- wedging a steel beam into the crumple gap between the crush bumper and the chassis. Doing so eliminates crumpling.

I've always given a nod of respect to the Volvo OEM hitch for its collision performance, even if I find its bumper cutout unsightly. Both the Volvo hitch and the Invisihitch are safety-oriented products. We now outperform the crumpling and corner protection of the Volvo hitch, but comparisons to the Volvo hitch are still fair and reasonable, since both are designed to crumple and protect people in rear-end collisions. That is just not the case with some other products.

Given the enormous R&D effort that went into the Invisihitch 2.0 -- all of which centered on improving safety -- I hope you will understand my desire to set the record straight on this issue.

Respectfully,
      Daryl
      A little further up I asked about if us early adopters of the Invisihitch 1.0 should upgrade to the 2.0 version? Or do you still feel that even the 1.0 version will protect the occupants from most collisions should they happen?

Quote Originally Posted by thorin33 View Post
      A little further up I asked about if us early adopters of the Invisihitch 1.0 should upgrade to the 2.0 version? Or do you still feel that even the 1.0 version will protect the occupants from most collisions should they happen?
      The original version of the Invisihitch was designed to collapse in rear-end collisions and thus protect occupants. In fact, that version of the hitch was modeled after the European Volvo XC90 hitch, and those two hitches performed very similarly in rear-end collisions. So that was good, right?

One motivation for redesigning the Invisihitch was a concern that the hitch didn't protect the rear corners of the vehicle. But since we were going to address that concern, we decided to take a new look at the overall crumpling of the hitch to improve collision performance. This time, instead of modeling our hitch's performance after the Volvo hitch, we used the vehicle's crush bumper as our model. This was significantly more challenging.

Version 2.0 of the Invisihitch not only protects the rear corners of the vehicle, it improves the crumpling of the hitch in rear-end collisions at all but the slowest speeds. So that is better. It certainly doesn't mean that our first version was bad -- it was as good as Volvo's XC90 European hitch, which in our testing outperformed Volvo's US hitch. But we had an opportunity to do better, and I'm pleased that we did.

Err...so is there a picture of this...or is it invisible?

Went to the website indicated in post #1 of this thread: www.invisihitch.com There were no Volvo choices on the pull-down list. What now?
      Present autos:
      2018 XC90 T6 delivered 8/28/17: Momentum Plus; Convenience; 20" double 5 spoke wheels; Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires changed to Michelin Premier LTX 8,300 miles; heated steering wheel; charcoal leather; luminous sand
      1930 Model A Ford Cabriolet
      Volvo history: 2005 S40; 2005 XC90; 2009 XC90; 2014 XC60; 2018 XC90

Just call InvisiHitch directly at +1 (678) 400-0121. You can send an email via http://www.invisihitch.com/contact/

Here are pictures of a DIY installation of an InvisiHitch 1.0. Sounds like the installation will be much the same, if not identical, for design 2.0.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ht=invisihitch.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 01-18-2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Corrected post is v1.0 pics
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Just call InvisiHitch directly at +1 (678) 400-0121. You can send an email via http://www.invisihitch.com/contact/

Here are pictures of a DIY installation of an InvisiHitch 2.0. Sounds like the installation will be much the same, if not identical, for design 2.0.

Thanks for the link. I see the picture of it with the hitch ball. How does it get hidden when not in use? Does it fold up, do you detach it etc?

There are two separate attachments that come with the standard tow hitch. Each detaches and is stored in your car or wherever.

One is a standard ball hitch designed for towing. You can order the ball size and the height. 18” is std height.

The other is a [2”] receiver for bike racks and the like. This receiver is not designed for towing. You might be able to specify receiver size like 2” or 50 mm.

In both cases, the insert is like an inverted cone that goes up and latches into place. You may push the button to lock it into place, but make sure you have your key to unlock it.

I think one of the pics show the two attachments.

Here are pictures of a DIY installation of an InvisiHitch 2.0. Sounds like the installation will be much the same, if not identical, for design 2.0.

That must be a typo, isn't that linked thread about the "1.0" version?

Still waiting for pics/links to the 2.0 version
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

DIY Oil Change:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics

DIY Brake Pads:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ment-with-pics

Oh, my apologies. I meant to say v1.0. Hopefully, pics of 2.0 will be coming soon.

Here's a picture of the new Invisihitch for XC90. Also shown is the XC90 bumper beam that gets replaced by the Invisihitch.

I hope this helps.
      Daryl

Last edited by invisihitch; 01-18-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Here's a picture of the new Invisihitch for XC90. Also shown is the XC90 bumper beam that gets replaced by the Invisihitch.

I hope this helps.
      Daryl

Here’s a pic of that crash bar doing Its job. (non invisihitch)

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
      2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- ——> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us——-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

That is a sad picture. But it does show why you should never fill the air gap with a steel beam. And why bumper-replacement hitches need to collapse in rear-end collisions.

So will there be a trade up option for those of us with the 1.0 hitch that are interested in upgrading to take advantage of the safety benefits in the 2.0 hitch?
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

I'm pleased to report that we have now created an XC90 upgrade SKU for customers who previously purchased the original version of the Invisihitch. The replacement hitch, with full corner protection and improved collision safety, is priced at $235 and is available to registered purchasers of the previous version. Email [email protected] if you are interested.

Cheers,
      Daryl

Thanks Daryl, I don't need one, but I almost want to buy one just because of the great work you all have done!

I'm pleased to report that we have now created an XC90 upgrade SKU for customers who previously purchased the original version of the Invisihitch. The replacement hitch, with full corner protection and improved collision safety, is priced at $235 and is available to registered purchasers of the previous version. Email [email protected] if you are interested.

Cheers,
      Daryl
      Would the original 1.0 version need to be sent back to upgrade?

It seems that we do require an exchange, but you certainly don't have to send in your original hitch and then wait for the new one. Included in our upgrade box is a prepaid return shipping label. So, when you install the new hitch, you just put the original hitch in the box and ship it back using our label. Invisihitch pays for the shipping in both directions.

It seems that we do require an exchange, but you certainly don't have to send in your original hitch and then wait for the new one. Included in our upgrade box is a prepaid return shipping label. So, when you install the new hitch, you just put the original hitch in the box and ship it back using our label. Invisihitch pays for the shipping in both directions.
      Wow, that is great customer service!
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

Sounds like a great customer service focused company. I don’t have a current need for a hitch but am tempted to have one at the ready. Curious if anyone in Seattle has had one of these installed? If so, where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the tongue weight limit?

Quote Originally Posted by eettare View Post
      What is the tongue weight limit?
      The maximum tow and tongue weight capacities of the XC90 are 6,000 lbs tow / 500 lbs tongue. The invisihitch exceeds these ratings, so you are limited by the vehicle not by the hitch.

Please note that tongue-weight ratings, by standard, assume that the downward weight is applied to a ball located six inches from the hitch beam. When a cargo rack is used, the center of the cargo mass can sometimes be three or four times further from the hitch beam, reducing the allowable weight accordingly. Failure to realize this is one of the most common causes of overloading. And with today's modern unibody vehicles, overloading the tongue weight can result in chassis damage. So please watch your tongue weight.

Daryl

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast