Invisihitch 2.0 for XC90 now available - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
      The maximum tow and tongue weight capacities of the XC90 are 6,000 lbs tow / 500 lbs tongue. The invisihitch exceeds these ratings, so you are limited by the vehicle not by the hitch.

Please note that tongue-weight ratings, by standard, assume that the downward weight is applied to a ball located six inches from the hitch beam. When a cargo rack is used, the center of the cargo mass can sometimes be three or four times further from the hitch beam, reducing the allowable weight accordingly. Failure to realize this is one of the most common causes of overloading. And with today's modern unibody vehicles, overloading the tongue weight can result in chassis damage. So please watch your tongue weight.

Daryl
      You make an interesting point Daryl. So when you have a bike rack like the one below (which I have, but not my picture), most of the weight is far off the hitch beam, especially when loaded with 4 bikes... is this a concern?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It seems that we do require an exchange, but you certainly don't have to send in your original hitch and then wait for the new one. Included in our upgrade box is a prepaid return shipping label. So, when you install the new hitch, you just put the original hitch in the box and ship it back using our label. Invisihitch pays for the shipping in both directions.
      Echoing previous comments - this is exceptional. I purchased 1.0 last fall. I'm considering upgrading, and would've expected the cost to me to be exponentially more than this. It's fantastic that you're looking out for 1.0 customers this way.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-0101 View Post
      You make an interesting point Daryl. So when you have a bike rack like the one below (which I have, but not my picture), most of the weight is far off the hitch beam, especially when loaded with 4 bikes... is this a concern?

Without doing a physical calculation (college physics was a long time ago!), I feel like there's no way your set-up doesn't exceed 500 lb's tongue weight. That rack has to extend at least 3-4 feet back from the hitch, magnifying the loads. Add in the momentary force you'd experience hitting a pot hole or a bad pavement transition, and I could see you being way over that limit. Just my hunch...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nas4a View Post
      Without doing a physical calculation (college physics was a long time ago!), I feel like there's no way your set-up doesn't exceed 500 lb's tongue weight. That rack has to extend at least 3-4 feet back from the hitch, magnifying the loads. Add in the momentary force you'd experience hitting a pot hole or a bad pavement transition, and I could see you being way over that limit. Just my hunch...
      It's a simple torque equation. 500lb force * 0.5 ft = 250 ft-lbs that the hitch receiver is rated for. The center of mass of that rack looks to be about 2 feet from the receiver. 250 ft-lb / 2 ft = 125lb limit. Assuming the rack weighs the same as a bike, that's about 25 lbs allowable per bike. That's a little on the light side for a mountain bike, but it's not absurd. So the hitch may be slightly over loaded, but anyone who knows they have that back there is probably going extra slow over speed bumps and potholes anyway. If any component fails, it's probably going to be the rack, and not the hitch, so the car is most likely fine.

I agree. I don't generally caution about bike carriers because today's bicycles are so lightweight. An adult mountain bike may weigh in at about 25 lbs; some are a couple of pounds under that. You've probably got less than 100 lbs of bikes on your 4-bike rack. Even with the moment introduced by the length of the rack, it's unlikely that you're in any real danger of causing damage due to tongue-weight overload. If you want to err on the side of caution, you could strap the carrier to the vehicle to impede bouncing.

What really concerns me are cargo platforms, and the tendency of some folks to load such platforms with hundreds of pounds of gear or supplies, such as multiple full ice chests for a weekend outing or stacks of concrete pavers for a home-improvement project. And they sometimes load the heaviest items at the rear of the platform to make those items easier to get on/off. Overloading is an easy mistake to make with a cargo carrier.

I agree. I don't generally caution about bike carriers because today's bicycles are so lightweight. An adult mountain bike may weigh in at about 25 lbs; some are a couple of pounds under that. You've probably got less than 100 lbs of bikes on your 4-bike rack. Even with the moment introduced by the length of the rack, it's unlikely that you're in any real danger of causing damage due to tongue-weight overload. If you want to err on the side of caution, you could strap the carrier to the vehicle to impede bouncing.

What really concerns me are cargo platforms, and the tendency of some folks to load such platforms with hundreds of pounds of gear or supplies, such as multiple full ice chests for a weekend outing or stacks of concrete pavers for a home-improvement project. And they sometimes load the heaviest items at the rear of the platform to make those items easier to get on/off. Overloading is an easy mistake to make with a cargo carrier.
      Overloading is a huge issue overall (payload limitations). Slap a couple kayaks on the roof, add in a weekend's worth of camping gear 5-6 people and you're done. Never mind those bikes hanging off the back, or god forbid that cargo box full of coolers and firewood.

I would imagine air suspension would assist here though. Keeping the loads as level as possible and presumably smoothing out those potholes a small bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by amd2800barton View Post
      It's a simple torque equation. 500lb force * 0.5 ft = 250 ft-lbs that the hitch receiver is rated for. The center of mass of that rack looks to be about 2 feet from the receiver. 250 ft-lb / 2 ft = 125lb limit. Assuming the rack weighs the same as a bike, that's about 25 lbs allowable per bike. That's a little on the light side for a mountain bike, but it's not absurd. So the hitch may be slightly over loaded, but anyone who knows they have that back there is probably going extra slow over speed bumps and potholes anyway. If any component fails, it's probably going to be the rack, and not the hitch, so the car is most likely fine.
      I own the Thule T2 + add-on, and they weigh 50 + 35 lbs, so 85 lbs alone for the rack. Add 4 decent mountain bikes at 25-30 lbs each, and you could easily hit 200lbs.

That said, I had this setup on my 2009 (with Kurt hitch) and 2017 MDX (with OEM hitch), without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shelbo View Post
      Thanks Daryl, I don't need one, but I almost want to buy one just because of the great work you all have done!
      +1. Ditto. Amazing job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus-Osmium Gray/Amber (OSD-June 2017): Climate |Convenience| Vision| Polestar| 20" Wheel Package| Lighted Running Boards
      2017 GMC Yukon XL-Champagne: Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot, Cross Traffic Alert, Blu-Ray DVD, 20" Aluminum Wheels, (DW's car)

I agree. I don't generally caution about bike carriers because today's bicycles are so lightweight. An adult mountain bike may weigh in at about 25 lbs; some are a couple of pounds under that. You've probably got less than 100 lbs of bikes on your 4-bike rack.
      In the picture the invisihitch seems to hang low, and the tail end of the rack seems like it would drag on ground with a slight incline such as a driveway entrance. If the XC90 is loaded and no 4CAir, then it would be even lower. Invisihitch could use higher assumptions on bicycle weight with today's trends in eBike growth. We have ebikes that are 50-60 lbs each, plus light kits can easily push over 60 lbs per bike. This is growing trend with the aging baby boomers and state of the technology, and could be factored in as needed. The picture below is the factory hitch (mounts higher than invisihitch), and a bike rack with a higher step up built into the rack, keeps everything way off the ground and tighter to the back of the XC90 reducing the arm extension length contributing to multiplier in tongue weight. For access to the cargo, the whole rack tilts back and the rear hatch can be opened, even with the bikes secured.
      Last edited by Willybz; 02-03-2018 at 11:43 AM.
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription
      (Onyx Black|Convenience|B&W|Air 4C|Htd Steering|Tow Hitch|21" 5V Spoke|Protection|Polestar|Maroon Brown)

An apples-to-apples picture comparison of same rack on both hitches would be more useful. What is lowest vertical height from ground to bottom of receiver for each hitch? I’m guessing the differential is no more than 2”. Either should work just fine unless you have an exceptional case. Even then, issues may exist with both, such as approach angle and departure angle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      An apples-to-apples picture comparison of same rack on both hitches would be more useful. What is lowest vertical height from ground to bottom of receiver for each hitch? I’m guessing the differential is no more than 2”. Either should work just fine unless you have an exceptional case. Even then, issues may exist with both, such as approach angle and departure angle.
      In Comfort mode with 4C Air, the factory hitch is 17 inches from the ground to the bottom of the 2" receiver and with the 4C Air, it stays the same as the XC90 is loaded up. The factory receiver protrudes 1.25 inches from the rear valance to the rearward most end of the hitch. Can someone post the same info for Invisihitch 2.0? For tongue weight adjustment the best information I could find is that using an extension reduces the tongue weight by 1/3 to 1/2. So for non-extended hitch mounts like mine, the tongue weight would roughly be the weight of the rack. But as you extend the center of gravity of the rack or increase its weight such as in the 4-bike hitch rack earlier in this post, you'll have to do more exact calculations due to the long extension of cantilevered weight. I wasn't able to find the formulas in brief searches.
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription
      (Onyx Black|Convenience|B&W|Air 4C|Htd Steering|Tow Hitch|21" 5V Spoke|Protection|Polestar|Maroon Brown)

The original version of the Invisihitch was designed to collapse in rear-end collisions and thus protect occupants. In fact, that version of the hitch was modeled after the European Volvo XC90 hitch, and those two hitches performed very similarly in rear-end collisions. So that was good, right?

One motivation for redesigning the Invisihitch was a concern that the hitch didn't protect the rear corners of the vehicle. But since we were going to address that concern, we decided to take a new look at the overall crumpling of the hitch to improve collision performance. This time, instead of modeling our hitch's performance after the Volvo hitch, we used the vehicle's crush bumper as our model. This was significantly more challenging.

Version 2.0 of the Invisihitch not only protects the rear corners of the vehicle, it improves the crumpling of the hitch in rear-end collisions at all but the slowest speeds. So that is better. It certainly doesn't mean that our first version was bad -- it was as good as Volvo's XC90 European hitch, which in our testing outperformed Volvo's US hitch. But we had an opportunity to do better, and I'm pleased that we did.
      I had the InvisiHitch 2.0 installed this past week by my Volvo dealer - replacing the original 1.0. Yea! With the T8 motor in the right rear quarter, having that extra crumple protection throughout and extended toward the corners is comforting. InvisiHitch listened and came through. Thanks, Daryl, for the wonderful service and design considerations. (The original 1.0 is on its way back and thanks for paying for shipping both ways.)
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

That's nice that your dealer would install for you. Our one and only dealer in Calgary, AB, Canada would not install mine. I bit the bullet and installed (with the help of a body shop friend) the version 1.0. I am torn about removing it to get the version 2.0. I think I will just leave the version 1.0 since it was designed after the Euro-spec one. If I happen to buy the new v60 for myself I sure hope that Invisiihitch will have a hitch available for it.

Any recent experience

Hey all-

I purchased a 2019 Inscription (for my wife of course!) this weekend and am in need of a hitch. I refuse to let the dealer cut the bumper an install that unsightly cover. I see that invisihitch has a hitch for the XC90 but I am leery of the company since they have some bad reviews and I can't get them to respond. Their FB page has been silent since July 2018 Anyone use them recently or know of an installer in Raleigh NC?

Thanks,

The wife loves the new car!

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherman0322 View Post
      Hey all-

I purchased a 2019 Inscription (for my wife of course!) this weekend and am in need of a hitch. I refuse to let the dealer cut the bumper an install that unsightly cover. I see that invisihitch has a hitch for the XC90 but I am leery of the company since they have some bad reviews and I can't get them to respond. Their FB page has been silent since July 2018 Anyone use them recently or know of an installer in Raleigh NC?

Thanks,

The wife loves the new car!
      I suggest looking at a Stealth Hitch. I love mine. My mechanic raved about the build quality, the detailed instructions and the ease of installation.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...mer-Reviews!!/

https://stealthhitches.com/products/...ears-2016-2017

Steve Nance is the CEO there and responds to email inquiries: [email protected]

Seems like Invisihitch no longer makes a hitches for Volvos. Is this correct? Their website only lists hitches for Audi and BMWs.

I'm interested in purchasing a hitch, but the Stealth Hitch is over $1100 (including the tow package). That seems crazy to me.

Meanwhile, there is a Draw-tite hitch available on amazon for $160....is there a 'you get what you pay for' scenario?

Would appreciate any feedback on hitches for a 2016 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by laxal50 View Post
      Seems like Invisihitch no longer makes a hitches for Volvos. Is this correct? Their website only lists hitches for Audi and BMWs.

I'm interested in purchasing a hitch, but the Stealth Hitch is over $1100 (including the tow package). That seems crazy to me.

Meanwhile, there is a Draw-tite hitch available on amazon for $160....is there a 'you get what you pay for' scenario?

Would appreciate any feedback on hitches for a 2016 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription.

Cheers!
      For all practical purposes, StealthHitch is the successor to the previous InvisiHitch 2.0.

The current cost of $688+$479 is about $200 more than 2017 when I purchased from InvisiHitch.

I would get the StealthHitch again even today as seems to be an excellent product quality and has the ability to remove it/add it as needed. It becomes a personal choice and priority.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8

Thanks Gary!

The Stealth does look very nice and subtle but I'm still having a hard time justifying the 5x price difference from the Draw-Tite on amazon.

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2