Intercooler and Charge Pipe (Brand+Size) Q&A... Does Size Matter?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Intercooler and Charge Pipe (Brand+Size) Q&A... Does Size Matter?

Hey guys I'm sure this has been touched on a bunch of times but I'm looking for honest feedback from people who have used these intercoolers.

(Please take money out of the equation)

Who makes a better intercooler, elevate, d088 or someone else?

My cars mods 2011 v50 t5 full turbo back elevate exhaust, elevate intake from filter to turbo. And an elevate tune. Upgraded torque mount.
      Note: Don has been good to work with so I have stuck with the brand.

I don't know anything about intercoolers, I do know I live in a desert and I don't want my car breathing fire but I also don't want something blocking my radiator causing overheating issues or a way oversized intercooler that will cause extra turbo lag.

I want to upgrade the charge tube, with the larger tube and do an intercooler.

What are your thoughts? Also do you guys FEEL a power increase with these upgrades?

Thank you! (And yes I read what d088 posted but I don't know them and I know results can be tweeked in someone's favor)
      2011 V50 T5 / Elevate air filter/intake / Elevate 3" intake pipe/ Elevate 3" Down pipe/ Elevate 3" Cat back exhaust/ Elevate 2.5" charge pipe/ Elevate Tune/ Do88 FMIC/ Ford Focus E mount / Eibach Pro lowering springs / tint +1 unicorn power / sub +100HP / 19" TSW nurburgring wheels +98.5HP
      (SOMEHOW IT'S STILL SLOW)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do88 vs Elevate vs (???) intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by the_blaze View Post

Who makes a better intercooler, elevate, d088 or someone else?

What are your thoughts? Also do you guys FEEL a power increase with these upgrades?

Thank you! (And yes I read what d088 posted but I don't know them and I know results can be tweeked in someone's favor)
      I have had both Elevate and do88 intercoolers, I also have a bunch of the eleavate intake goodies. heres my comparison:

As much as I love elevate and think they make a ton of great products, I gotta say their intercooler is not my favorite. It is an improvement over stock, in both intake temps and flow. the inside core is like straight channels. The outside, the fins are thinner than the do88, and since they use a tube and fin design for the air flow front, the little thin metal diffusers get chunks taken out and folded over when bugs/rocks hit it. I spent alot of time straightening them out every few weeks.

The do88 is a huge intercooler, which makes for stellar for heat dissipation... AND it flows very well. a win win. the do88 has a thick clear coat and the fins are thick and sort of cell shaped. The end tanks are as big as the sides of the core, for optimum flow. pictures of the inner core look pretty dense which i thought would be a disadvantage with air friction and all but apparently it flows better at every given pressure drop.

I did take about 20 different days worth of data, all throughout the year and my intake temperatures with the do88 were on average like 40*F lower than the elevate.

do88

elevate

comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by boulderc30; 01-18-2018 at 12:11 AM.
      2009 Cosmic White/Java Brown C30 (@BoulderC30)
      2005 Passion Red V50 (@BoulderV50)

Quote Originally Posted by boulderc30 View Post
      I have had both Elevate and do88 intercoolers, I also have a bunch of the eleavate intake goodies. heres my comparison:

As much as I love elevate and think they make a ton of great products, I gotta say their intercooler is not my favorite. It is an improvement over stock, in both intake temps and flow. the inside core is like straight channels. The outside, the fins are thinner than the do88, and since they use a tube and fin design for the air flow front, the little thin metal diffusers get chunks taken out and folded over when bugs/rocks hit it. I spent alot of time straightening them out every few weeks.

The do88 is a huge intercooler, which makes for stellar for heat dissipation... AND it flows very well. a win win. the do88 has a thick clear coat and the fins are thick and sort of cell shaped. The end tanks are as big as the sides of the core, for optimum flow. pictures of the inner core look pretty dense which i thought would be a disadvantage with air friction and all but apparently it flows better at every given pressure drop.

I did take about 20 different days worth of data, all throughout the year and my intake temperatures with the do88 were on average like 40*F lower than the elevate.

do88

elevate

comparison

Great feedback!
      Did you notice any additional turbo lag with the d088? I ask because I've been told going bigger on the intercooler requires the turbo to have to push more air to build good pressure.

I was also concerned with the possibility of heat soak with the do88 because it was so thick.

Did you notice a change in engine temps?

Did the butt Dyno have any feedback?

Sorry for the million questions.
      2011 V50 T5 / Elevate air filter/intake / Elevate 3" intake pipe/ Elevate 3" Down pipe/ Elevate 3" Cat back exhaust/ Elevate 2.5" charge pipe/ Elevate Tune/ Do88 FMIC/ Ford Focus E mount / Eibach Pro lowering springs / tint +1 unicorn power / sub +100HP / 19" TSW nurburgring wheels +98.5HP

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      Great comparison! A picture says a thousand words

do88 has spent considerable time and expense in developing their intercooler kits to be 100% drop-in for easy installation, and significantly larger than stock for improved heat capacity and to minimize boost pressure loss.

In case anyone is interested, we stock the do88 intercooler in our New Hampshire, USA warehouse for immediate shipment!
      http://www.vivaperformance.com/do88-...0-c70-s40-v50/

I pretty much have all Elevate stuff except for my DP exhaust, with just the intercooler you wont see/feel any significant change in power but you will notice heat sink doesnt set in as fast which will help maintain whatever performance you have - paring the stock snorkel with the Elevate intake also helps lower heat sink since your taking in fresh air - that being said i personally dont feel like this car needs a huge intercooler because realistically were only at 200-350HP.

the biggest butt dyno increases for me have been the charge pipe+porsche throttle body+tune, after each one of these i could feel much more power.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

Quote Originally Posted by George @ ViVA View Post
      Great comparison! A picture says a thousand words

do88 has spent considerable time and expense in developing their intercooler kits to be 100% drop-in for easy installation, and significantly larger than stock for improved heat capacity and to minimize boost pressure loss.

In case anyone is interested, we stock the do88 intercooler in our New Hampshire, USA warehouse for immediate shipment!
      http://www.vivaperformance.com/do88-...0-c70-s40-v50/
      There instructions seem like it's a little more involved than just a drop in. Like some cutting required.

Still haven't heard if you feel a difference one way or the other or if the do88 would get heat soak or cause blockage to the radiator. Anyone with hands on experience know these answers?

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      I pretty much have all Elevate stuff except for my DP exhaust, with just the intercooler you wont see/feel any significant change in power but you will notice heat sink doesnt set in as fast which will help maintain whatever performance you have - paring the stock snorkel with the Elevate intake also helps lower heat sink since your taking in fresh air - that being said i personally dont feel like this car needs a huge intercooler because realistically were only at 200-350HP.

the biggest butt dyno increases for me have been the charge pipe+porsche throttle body+tune, after each one of these i could feel much more power.
      Ah yes I want to do that throttle body. You dont have that part number do You?
      The charge pipe will be done regardless of which intercooler I buy, i know that's a must
      I noticed a ton with the exhaust and tune but I WANT MORE LOL
      Last edited by the_blaze; 01-18-2018 at 01:18 AM.

i believe its 98660511501, dont hold me too it though. The inlet manifold is the last piece of the puzzle for me until i can afford a k16 kit.
      and as for the larger intercoolers i do recall you have to cut out some of the frame to fit it.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      i believe its 98660511501, dont hold me too it though. The inlet manifold is the last piece of the puzzle for me until i can afford a k16 kit.
      and as for the larger intercoolers i do recall you have to cut out some of the frame to fit it.
      When you’re ready for a K16, let me know! I have a brand new one at an unmentionable price

When you’re ready for a K16, let me know! I have a brand new one at an unmentionable price
      Don't tempt me! I want to do the k16 upgrade bad.

Okay, you could go with one of these great intercoolers; or, you could buy a $100 rebuilt stock unit from a XC60 T6 and install. It's at least as built as elevates. Just my .02.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      What are the options for an AWD charge pipe apart from custom made?
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedRidingHood View Post
      @MyNameIdeasWereTaken posted a video on youtube where he used an elevate FWD tube and just made it work. check out and follow him. he is full of great advice.

here’s my thoughts on some of your questions:

reading through your questions, they seem more like questions about stock vs uprated intercooler systems rather than this brand vs that brand, so... these answers are true for both Elevate and do88 IMO.

No noticeable additional turbo lag on stock tune and/or tuned.

the heat contained in the intercoooler is mitigated with a bigger and higher flowing unit. so no, dont be worried about heat soak. be worried about heatsoak with a stocker.

engine temps? No, but... yes I noticed a dramatic change in intake temps if thats what you mean by that.

butt dyno says yea, but very well could be placebo, really only noticeable in the top end when things get “HOT”. heres a video that maybe will show you how important these things are:

https://instagram.com/p/BdRCYjMgaq2/

here’s my thoughts on some of your questions:

reading through your questions, they seem more like questions about stock vs uprated intercooler systems rather than this brand vs that brand, so... these answers are true for both Elevate and do88 IMO.

No noticeable additional turbo lag on stock tune and/or tuned.

the heat contained in the intercoooler is mitigated with a bigger and higher flowing unit. so no, dont be worried about heat soak. be worried about heatsoak with a stocker.

engine temps? No, but... yes I noticed a dramatic change in intake temps if thats what you mean by that.

butt dyno says yea, but very well could be placebo, really only noticeable in the top end when things get “HOT”. heres a video that maybe will show you how important these things are:

Excellent thank you. I was doing some dangerous google research and some guys (not volvo people) were complaining that their super large intercoolers were blocking airflow to their radiators and causing the vehicle to overheat. that's the engine temp issue i am most concerned about. (since average summer temps for me are around 100F)

^Actually, that is something to be concerned about... but not really in this car.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Excellent thank you. I was doing some dangerous google research and some guys (not volvo people) were complaining that their super large intercoolers were blocking airflow to their radiators and causing the vehicle to overheat. that's the engine temp issue i am most concerned about. (since average summer temps for me are around 100F)
      Ah i see, yes good point. this is true if the ambient airflow path is too densely packed to where it actually inhibits flow, not necessarily a SIZE issue. a small intercooler with tightly packed cooling fins (air flow path) will significantly have different side effects than a larger one with bigger spacing for flow though to the radiator. likewise a smaller intercooler with more spacing could be less efficient, and a large intercooler with densely packed fins would also be much less efficient, and have some side effects like you metioned.

its a balance between size, fin spacing/density, internal core structure etc.

you cant go wrong with either brand imo!

Ah i see, yes good point. this is true if the ambient airflow path is too densely packed to where it actually inhibits flow, not necessarily a SIZE issue. a small intercooler with tightly packed cooling fins (air flow path) will significantly have different side effects than a larger one with bigger spacing for flow though to the radiator. likewise a smaller intercooler with more spacing could be less efficient, and a large intercooler with densely packed fins would also be much less efficient, and have some side effects like you metioned.

its a balance between size, fin spacing/density, internal core structure etc.

you cant go wrong with either brand imo!

Cool thats what i want to hear.
      this is not a race car its my daily but i like to beat people when a little drag come up. i am not willing to do an upgrade if it was going to mess with reliability. since the elevate and do88 are on two ends of the spectrum i figured i could find out what works and would be the best option. bigger and thick or smaller and thin. either way with the tune i know i need something better than stock

I saw how thick and large the do88 was and was really concerned it would cause overheating issues so i wanted some first hand input.

Cool thats what i want to hear.
      this is not a race car its my daily but i like to beat people when a little drag come up. i am not willing to do an upgrade if it was going to mess with reliability. since the elevate and do88 are on two ends of the spectrum i figured i could find out what works and would be the best option. bigger and thick or smaller and thin. either way with the tune i know i need something better than stock
      yeah i feel that. Keep in mind that both of these coolers (from my observation) are not very far from each other on the spectrum of “all intercoolers in existence” considered. they both will not harm the amount of air flowing through and over the radiator. (honestly, cooling system preventative maintainence is more important than this consideration in our case). but for our vehicles there are some big differences like specifically: cost, design, supposed pressure drop flows, and actual IAT data.

I live in colorado, some days its hot, some days its cold, both coolers make a difference in IAT, but i prefer one over the other.

Do88 vs Elevate vs (???) intercooler

I saw how thick and large the do88 was and was really concerned it would cause overheating issues so i wanted some first hand input.
      I have a photo somewhere where I hold a light source behind both of them, and you can see what im talking about.

I also was a little crazy and put my shop vac on blow (it was clean) and “blew” air at the cooler like it was “naturally driving”. and it was a negligable difference between the two in how much air i could feel coming through the back.

glad to know someone cared like i do lol.

glad to know someone cared like i do lol.
      hahaha totally, thats a nice way to put it. im sure some would call it “paranoia” lol

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Okay, you could go with one of these great intercoolers; or, you could buy a $100 rebuilt stock unit from a XC60 T6 and install. It's at least as built as elevates. Just my .02.
      I saw this being talked about before ! Is there a write up or do you have the link where people discussed This? May go this route

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can give you the low down if you want. Pm me

2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedRidingHood View Post
      None as far as i know, the FWD tube works just fine, doesnt swing or rattle at all and took about 10 minutes to install.

If you're FWD, I'd buy the do88 big pack and call it a day

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
      2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 (2017 - ) || 1987 Toyota MR2 (2016 - ) || 2002 Lexus IS300 (2016 - ) || 2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 (2016 - 2019) || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 (2015 - 2016) || 2001 Acura Integra GSR (2010 - 2010) Stolen lol

Quote Originally Posted by V50toS40 View Post
      If you're FWD, I'd buy the do88 big pack and call it a day

Yeah it's a good deal. Are you running That? Notice any power gains or differences in driving?

Yeah it's a good deal. Are you running That? Notice any power gains or differences in driving?
      No, because I'm AWD. Also, one of my earliest purchases was a used Elevate IC that I got a good deal on. Otherwise, I would have bought a do88. It's such a good value IMO.

2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 (2017 - ) || 1987 Toyota MR2 (2016 - ) || 2002 Lexus IS300 (2016 - ) || 2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 (2016 - 2019) || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 (2015 - 2016) || 2001 Acura Integra GSR (2010 - 2010) Stolen lol

Whats the difference for AWD/FWD in regards to the intercoolers?

PM sent

None as far as i know, the FWD tube works just fine, doesnt swing or rattle at all and took about 10 minutes to install.
      Remember though: the FWD charge pipe hangs down on the AWD, but yes it does fit.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

the bends of the intercooler inlets/outlets.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I'm not aware of any. IIRC, my Elevate IC was originally on a C30.

When I wrote that I didn't buy the big pack because I'm AWD, it's because of the charge pipe that wouldn't fit perfectly.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast