I just want to tell everyone how amazing my car is after Contrast's/Gustav tune. I started with an elevate tune but wanted the features only found in the hilton and contrast tunes.
These were the antilag, pops & crackle, knocklight, 4c map switching, and shiftlight. Hilton has highly streamlined purchasing options via Viva website and possibly even streamlined tuning. However, Contrast reached out to me so I decided to go with him for my tune. I found it difficult to find more than 3-4 reviews detailing how their tune went. This is why I am going out of my way to write this for future buyers like myself, a week or so ago.
- Prices are one of the first reasons why one should consider Contrast. Just quite simply a very good bargain.
- Custom tuning is another one. I could tell Contrast, exactly what i wanted from my tune such as target idle, boost, and he would be able to deliver. You probably won't get this kind of customization with some other off the shelf potato tunes
- In depth knowledge on Volvo cars. Lets be honest, many of us won't have a "perfect" car when taking it to Gustav. However, he could diagnose possible vacuum leaks, IPD gen 1 TCV(i was overboosting to 28 lbs of boost, when target was 18 from elevate tune!), and even knew about my whining noise coming from my front left headlight(vacuum brake pump). This is knowledge is probably from him lurking on the forums for so long and seeing every problem known for these cars.
- Rediculously fast response time. He will 100% reply to your message within 24 hours, and this is a person half way across the world.
- Very patient man. Due to me being slightly unprepared, it took many hours of tuning, and weeks of working on the car to get it right. He did not give up and was professional the whole time.
- Genius Deduction skills. He found out while doing pulls on the highway that my car was heatsoaking due to letting it sit and idle. Intake temperatures went from 55C to 12C after driving on the highway for 2 min.(50+mph) to get air through my FMIC(Front Mounted Intercooler). Massive difference! I had my doubts on the efficiency of intercoolers. He also found out that my old fuel pump was outputting a much lower flow than the ECU desired. It was also maxed out on duty cycle!
- He Prefers to be contacted via his website: https://urbastuning.wordpress.com/
- A moderately fast 6-8GB of RAM, I5 Processor, Dedicated graphics and high batterylife laptop(My potato laptop was almost impossible to use for this)-Windows 7 is prefered and faster than 10
- VIDA software(Volvo's proprietary diagnostic software) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Working-in-...72.m2749.l2649
- Dice Interface device(Device that connects to your cars OBD2 Port and your laptop via usb port)-This will also do the Logging+flashing. You can buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- STAGE 0 (If you have old plugs or coils then he will have to tune around it or it may not be possible at all)-He recommends One step colder NGK plugs from VIvaperformance and Bosch coil packs
- I had the stock fuel pump in my car. It was beginning to max out its duty cycle and output less fuel pressure than the ECU desired. This threw no codes, if you haven't replaced it then I suggest you do so with the Viva fuel pump.
- A non IPD TCV Valve- He only allows, stock or pierburg(stock company).
- A Very Large Road-Preferably the highway for pulls. (I ended up 30miles from my city. This is the amount of driving I did for datalogging and tuning).
1. You will need to get the ViDa software to diagnose your car to make sure it has no active codes or problems. It will also guide you on fixing them. Once this is done you will not use the VIDA/VM Machine for Tuning/Flashing/Logging. All the tuning is done on your current OS
2. The way you install VIDA software can be two ways: You either need WIndows 7 for a fully integrated install or use a Virtual machine where one uses windows 7 or xp. A virtual machine is basically using your current operating system as a mule/piggyback. This also usually requires you to install VMWare. Detailed instructions are found on varius threads found on this forum. However, I recommend the ebay one advertising, "Windows 10 support, full technical support." He should be offering his services/vmware on here somewhere and has a in depth guide for beginners.
3. I suggest getting VIda drivers for your current OS(windows 10 usually) to allow you to interface with the DICE device for tuning/Flashing/logging.
4. Once you are fininished installing Vida, plug in dice to your laptop
5. Run Vida and search for fault codes. it will search through your multiple modules in the car, almost like your car is one big supercomputer .
6. Yellow are nonactive codes that have been fixed, null, or reset
7. Record and clear codes, report to Mr. Gustav.
Actual Tuning Procedure
1. This is where you will use your current laptop+OS(Windows 10 nowadays, Windows 7 prefered)+Dice device to interface with your car
2. Once you plug everything up and the OS recognizes it, you will use the programs Gustav provides. One is to Log your car and another to Flash your car(2 programs)
3. He might flash your car with a base tune to figure out where your car is at
4. Then he will get you to do a log using the log program he provides. You will do city driving and highway driving
5. He will receive your log file (Log file is openable with excel and allows you to look and how your car is behaving)
6. He will use your Log file to create a custom tune for your car(Stock intake is best). It took him about a week for me(others may vary).
6. Then finally, You will enter a cycle where you will need to do constant pulls+logs and him sending you revisions until he gets it to your/his liking . All communication was done through Facebook Messenger App!
Things to Note
- Do not let your car heatsoak before attempting a pull. Try driving it and getting air through your intercooler.
- You need to make sure you do the pulls correctly, accidental knocking could lead to engine wear and possible destruction.
- Generally he wants: WOT @ third Gear from 2000->6500 RPM(This is about 88-90 MPH~ with a 2004 S60R M66 Manual)
- The reason why you start at 2000 is because any higher and the turbo will be spooled up shoving max boost into your engine, instead of building boost like some would want. Although high rpms resist detonation better, Gustav like it this way.
- Antilag loudness+pops and crackles loudness depends on Exhaust and injector size. I found it plenty loud with a single large muffler, big downpipe, and stock injectors
- Antilag should only be used for maximum of 2-3 seconds as the heat can greatly stress the components. Let about 20 seconds for cooldown between uses.
- Antilag builds about 10-12 lbs of boost for me while sitting still. It is activated by pushing in the clutch and flooring it. RPMs will target 4000 and it will pop, pop, pop and spool your turbo.
- Its also a good idea, if you are not tech savvy to download teamviewer for Gustav. He can use this software to take control of your laptop and tune for you.
- Stockairbox is apparently the Best
- I Tethered my phone using the Portable Wifi Hotspot found on my Iphone to connect my laptop to the internet during the tuning process. It is highly recommended for you to do the same for the entire process.
In this way you don't have to drive back and forth to your house for wifi/internet.
I will continue this write up at another date. stay Tuned. Pun Intended. Last update: 2/24/2018
Upgraded to the knock light for maximum engine safety(flashes the check engine light when it detects knock). Amazing part of today was that Contrast made my pops and crackles even louder, Pretty much louder than a chinese firecracker. 80-100 db? Its sooo amazing now. I have to be careful of the police now.