Made In China
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Made In China

Made In China

I am "semi" freaking out about pulling the trigger on a 2018/19 XC60. While no one really has the facts and figures on how this will turn out yet sicne only time will tell based on realiability on the China made vehicles vs Swedish. In doing my reserach even the Swedish built data is not all that great, So why am i even thinking about an XC60, the styling and safety features are the driving factors. I am not all that consumed with the techonolgy stuff sicne I am in the technolgy world and quite frankly s...t happens as we all know.

So what is my question/concern,does anyone have factual data that can be shared to statisfy my concern on "made in china" will be better than made in Sweden?. If indeed the XC60 is just "assembled" in China that could be helpful for sure. I am also curious on the breakdown of core componets and where they are sourced from as i am not close to a dealer to check out the window sticker. I'm hoping for the best but still concerned

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat88 View Post
      I am "semi" freaking out about pulling the trigger on a 2018/19 XC60. While no one really has the facts and figures on how this will turn out yet sicne only time will tell based on realiability on the China made vehicles vs Swedish. In doing my reserach even the Swedish built data is not all that great, So why am i even thinking about an XC60, the styling and safety features are the driving factors. I am not all that consumed with the techonolgy stuff sicne I am in the technolgy world and quite frankly s...t happens as we all know.

So what is my question/concern,does anyone have factual data that can be shared to statisfy my concern on "made in china" will be better than made in Sweden?. If indeed the XC60 is just "assembled" in China that could be helpful for sure. I am also curious on the breakdown of core componets and where they are sourced from as i am not close to a dealer to check out the window sticker. I'm hoping for the best but still concerned
      From what I've seen most of the mangers in the Chinese plants were mostly Swedish

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

statisfy my concern on "made in china" will be better than made in Sweden?.
      Why should there be a difference? They will be made to the same specs, just by different workers.

If Apple started making their iPhones in Sweden instead of China, would you expect a "better" product?
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Made In China

The Volvo China Plant are mostly producing cars for the Chinese market.
      Just as the now-under-construction US SC plant will be producing all SPA and CMA Volvo’s, mostly for the American market.
      https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ion-investment

XC60 R Design T8
      NORWAY
      Mileage: http://bit.ly/2C2gQ9n

Quote Originally Posted by palengh View Post
      The Volvo China Plant are mostly producing cars for the Chinese market.
      Just as the now-under-construction US SC plant will be producing all SPA and CMA Volvo’s, mostly for the American market.
      https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ion-investment

XC60 R Design T8
      NORWAY
      The XC60 is going to be made for the whole world exclusively in the new Chinese plant starting in March/April, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      Why should there be a difference? They will be made to the same specs, just by different workers.

If Apple started making their iPhones in Sweden instead of China, would you expect a "better" product?
      I can't avoid sensing a little bit of unconscious bias in the proposition that cars made with the same materials, equipment and process but with workers of a different nation would be inferior.

The Chineese were inventing and manufacturing cutting-edge products before the rest of the world even had civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigofalvarez View Post
      The XC60 is going to be made for the whole world exclusively in the new Chinese plant starting in March/April, IIRC.
      What is your source for that?
      Please share link

XC60 R Design T8
      NORWAY

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigofalvarez View Post
      I can't avoid sensing a little bit of unconscious bias in the proposition that cars made with the same materials, equipment and process but with workers of a different nation would be inferior.
      I haven't seen anyone suggest that the workers of a different nation would build an inferior product, what is causing you to "sense" this?

The OP specifically asks about the core components and a breakdown of them. We know it can't possibly have all of the same "materials", the materials are going to have different sources. It just how manufacturing works, they'll use local vendors whenever possible. But for all we know, the suppliers in China actually have even better materials, the OP is just asking about them.

For example, Monroney for the S90 Inscription:

Attachment 24026
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

Okay, so what will Volvo continue to manufacture in Sweden? I read somewhere that XC90 will move to South Carolina, but I forgot which MY. This sucks for those who want to do OSD.

Question though, is the engine still made in Sweden? Is the transmission still sourced from Japan? Where in China are the going to find drift wood?

I've owned a "made in China" S60 Inscription for 2 years, as far as I can tell it's just as good as the prior S60 which was made in Sweden (correction: it was made in Ghent, Belgium).

On the first car ('13 S60 T5 AWD Premier Plus - 39 month lease) I had premature front brake rotor warp (fixed under warranty), a faulty hood latch that caused the alarm to go off in the middle of the night (also fixed under warranty), and a sliced tire that I had to replace myself.

On the current car ('16 S60i T5 AWD Platinum - 24 months into a 39 month lease) I've had a faulty crank position sensor (replaced under warranty) and 2 worn front tires (from potholes/alignment) which I replaced myself.

Hard to say what can happen over 10 years of ownership until somebody gets there but they both could have been made in the same plant for all I can tell. And the S60i is actually a nicer car, with better interior trim, more rear legroom, and all the tech options that come with the Platinum trim. Plus I got a great deal on it. According to the window sticker, most of the components come from China, second is Sweden. The engine was manufactured in China.

Auto manufacturing is a global business and they move their manufacturing to different countries all the time - Mexico, Eastern Europe, China - and components could be sourced from anywhere regardless of the final assembly location. I think Volvo has done an excellent job transitioning manufacturing to China while not compromising quality. Hopefully the upcoming US plant will do as well.
      Last edited by Northeast; 01-25-2018 at 04:33 PM.
      2007 C70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:
      2016 S60I, 2013 S60, 2003 XC70, 2002 V70, 1998 S70

What is your source for that?
      Please share link

XC60 R Design T8
      NORWAY
      I wonder too...
      I suspect fake news, since my T8 is going to be built in Torslanda, according to all information I got from my local dealer (bilia.se) and Volvocars in Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by betterlead View Post
      I wonder too...
      I suspect fake news, since my T8 is going to be built in Torslanda, according to all information I got from my local dealer (bilia.se) and Volvocars in Sweden.
      University Volvo confirmed it:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post6409090

Quote Originally Posted by universityvolvoOSD View Post
      XC60 production for the US market has been moved to the new plant in China.
      No decision has been made (to my knowledge) as to when or if a 2019 XC60 OSD will be available
      If you check the online configurator, you'll see the Torslanda colors of (612) Passion Red, (477) Electric Silver, and (723) Denim Blue are no longer available.
      18 BMW X3 M40i

Made In China

There is no reason for concern IMO. The concern would be with a new plant regardless of country. There are specs, controls, and quality testing of machines, processes and people regardless of nation or ethnicity. People are quite proud of the work they do, the skills they have and the products they make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 46K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and even towing

Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      I haven't seen anyone suggest that the workers of a different nation would build an inferior product, what is causing you to "sense" this?
      Read the post carefully and it is in line with some of the other posts in other threads.
      People have no problem buying a Q7 made in Slovakia, or a TT made in Hungary or a Q5 made in Mexico, etc but they have a problem buying a Volvo made to the same strict specs as those in Sweden and Belgium, only now that it's assembled in China...

If that is not underlying racism and/or bias based on geopolitics, I am not sure what is...
      Last edited by GrecianVolvo; 01-26-2018 at 11:37 AM.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

That is incorrect. The only car that the SC plant will manufacture will be the new S60 and that will be for the entire world.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

I just joined this site few days ago because XC60 was high on my list. I have also purchase my last three cars via European delivery from a certain German brand near the Alps. I BARELY got my feet wet looking into the OSD program, and now I am out of luck. LOL I don't know what God is trying to tell me here. I am though, still looking to buy a Volvo, but perhaps my family won't be vacationing in Sweden after all. Bummer. It is kind of weird that 2018 model year is sold out 24 days into January. I am assuming the March production is for 2019 MY?

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Yes, he is doing exactly that. Read the post carefully and it is in line with some of the other posts in other threads.
      People have no problem buying a Q7 made in Slovakia, or a TT made in Hungary or a Q5 made in Mexico, etc but they have a problem buying a Volvo made to the same strict specs as those in Sweden and Belgium, only now that it's assembled in China...

If that is not underlying racism and/or bias based on geopolitics, I am not sure what is...
      Maybe people have suggested that in other threads, but the OP has not done that. He even questions the build quality of the Swedish produced vehicles and hopes the China produced ones are better.

In doing my reserach even the Swedish built data is not all that great, So why am i even thinking about an XC60, the styling and safety features are the driving factors....So what is my question/concern,does anyone have factual data that can be shared to statisfy my concern on "made in china" will be better than made in Sweden?.
      He then states:

If indeed the XC60 is just "assembled" in China that could be helpful for sure.
      Which means he's obviously ok with a vehicle built in China. He just wants to know where the core components are coming from, which so far the engines are all coming from Sweden and the transmissions are coming from Japan.

I am also curious on the breakdown of core componets and where they are sourced from as i am not close to a dealer to check out the window sticker. I'm hoping for the best but still concerned
      18 BMW X3 M40i

Considering China is the largest emerging market on the planet, it makes perfect sense to set up manufacturing there.I would guess that in a few years the Chinese will be buying more Volvo's than any other market and "Made in China" is a win win in that case.

I would not worry about quality,the biggest issue I see is the lightly regulated manufacturing emissions laws the Chinese have.The argument that a Swedish Volvo creates less pollutants to build vs a Chinese built one.
      2004 XC90 2.5t AWD Crystal green Metallic 152K

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post

I’m confident that I will get a lot of heat with this comment but, I feel better spending $ 50,000 USD + when I know that my vehicle was built in a country where the employees who built the product are getting paid a very fair wage versus another country where wages are clearly less and there’s no question Volvo has a higher rate of profit on each unit. I just feel (Maybe right, probably wrong) that I’m getting a better “value” on my dollar.

Robots build the cars the same way, for the record Geely owns Lotus as well as Volvo. As far as final assembly they have to meet the same standards as all other plants that create any Volvo vehicle. I think the Chines are just as hard working as any hard working Swedish or Belgian worker.....I remember when they said the Japanese cars was junk too and look where they are today. I do understand your concerns but i do you have those same concerns about your phone, computer, tablet? Oh yeah, lots of "Made in China" in there.
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      Robots build the cars the same way, for the record Geely owns Lotus as well as Volvo. As far as final assembly they have to meet the same standards as all other plants that create any Volvo vehicle. I think the Chines are just as hard working as any hard working Swedish or Belgian worker.....I remember when they said the Japanese cars was junk too and look where they are today. I do understand your concerns but i do you have those same concerns about your phone, computer, tablet? Oh yeah, lots of "Made in China" in there.
      I hear you and agree to an extent. -As an aside, do you think they move a Swedish company’s operations (to any extent) from Sweden to China for no reason? I know Geely is Chinese, but do you think the move is just to make everyone from the home office feel good? No. It’s to save money. - Doesn’t mean a lesser car, but it does mean a greater profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador74 View Post
      I hear you and agree to an extent. -As an aside, do you think they move a Swedish company’s operations (to any extent) from Sweden to China for no reason? I know Geely is Chinese, but do you think the move is just to make everyone from the home office feel good? No. It’s to save money. - Doesn’t mean a lesser car, but it does mean a greater profit.
      Oh definitely a move to keep costs under control, only time will see if the quality goes with it.... I'm giving the the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
      I would not worry about quality,the biggest issue I see is the lightly regulated manufacturing emissions laws the Chinese have.The argument that a Swedish Volvo creates less pollutants to build vs a Chinese built one.
      Volvo plants are built with the same environmental mindset, worldwide. You may have caught the recent news that the Volvo engine plant, in Skovde, Sweden, just became a climate-neutral plant. Volvo has made the commitment that all its plants will eventually be climate-neutral.

Why do you think German companies established plants in the U.S.? Why do you think they are building factories and are planning on producing cars (i.e. X3 to be built in China) in China? You cannot have all your eggs in one basket, it just does not make sense in today's economy.

Quote Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
      Where in China are the going to find drift wood?
      Anywhere along the 9,000+ miles of coastline, to say nothing of the rivers, lakes, inland seas etc
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Does it not make sense to build a plant in what is now your largest market?

"In China, Volvo’s largest market, sales grew by a solid 29.8 per cent in September, compared with the same month last year, as the company sold to a total of 11,544 cars. The locally produced XC60, S60L and S90 models continued to be the main growth drivers. The Asia Pacific region recorded the strongest growth of all regions during the first nine months of 2017, up 23.7 per cent, compared with the same period last year."

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...t-in-september

For those that are concerned that the Chengdu plant does not measure up to the plants in Torslanda or Ghent, here is some background on the Chengdu plant and how it compares.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...anufacturing-s
      2018 Volvo XC60 T6 Denim Blue
      2012 Fiat 500 Pop
      1965 Ford Mustang Coupe 289 A Code 4 speed
      1970 VW Beetle

Quote Originally Posted by MalSled View Post

For those that are concerned that the Chengdu plant does not measure up to the plants in Torslanda or Ghent, here is some background on the Chengdu plant and how it compares.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...anufacturing-s
      Exactly

However, I still expect to see posts disregarding this information; at Swedespeed, negativity is quite popular.

So let's be "pretty clear", XC60 for the US market will most likely be assembled in China, from now on. XC60 for the European market will be assembled in Sweden.
      I wouldn't fear a bit, if mine was assembled here or there, regarding the quality. But,,, it matters some to me, the car won't have to travel to me around the world on a stinkin' and polluting ship. Hopefully, Volvo starts assembling more models in USA too.

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      Oh definitely a move to keep costs under control, only time will see if the quality goes with it.... I'm giving the the benefit of the doubt.

And that’s all that I was getting at!!

Many thanks to all that have posted to aid in helping me "understand" the backgound of the Volvo move to China. It was/is very helpful. For the record as some ( not many) felt that my post was racist in context is one that is so far off it was offending to me. Let me move past that as this is about quailty of the prodcut and overall brand acceptance. So what have i learned, Volvo in China is not new... been Mfg. since 2013. that is a positive as I thought it was recently announced 2016/17 time frame. The link that was provided Malsled on Volvlo cars was extremly helpful as it spoke about the what & how Volvo approached the people, process and quality aspects of the culture and expectaions of Volvo golbally. I am good and this forum is very helpful

Thnaks a ton

@Fiat88, I'm sorry that you felt that way, I don't think anyone purposely was trying to personally offend you.

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      However, I still expect to see posts disregarding this information; at Swedespeed, negativity is quite popular.
      I don't think many people are being negative about it, they're just asking questions since most people have never purchased a vehicle produced in China. What certainly doesn't help is someone insinuating that anyone who asks a question about China may be a racist, xenophobe or sinophobe. It's much easier to just point out the facts about the factory there, show them cars are already being produced there for the US market and allow them to make their own decisions about it. You're not going to convince everyone, but at least they're feel their concerns were addressed and they won't be potentially pushed away from the brand.
      18 BMW X3 M40i

It's a valid question, and I'm surprised people are finding fault with it.

Build quality and profit aside, Volvo is known as the Swedish car company. Despite it being the age of globalization, people like their Swedish car to be made in Sweden. It's the same cognitive dissonance people experience when they discover their all-American Ford or Chevy is made in Mexico. Maybe not a rational attitude, but much about car-buying is not rational.
      2018 XC60 T6 Momentum | Fusion Red | Amber | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | Nav | Heated

Quote Originally Posted by betterlead View Post
      So let's be "pretty clear", XC60 for the US market will most likely be assembled in China, from now on. XC60 for the European market will be assembled in Sweden.
      I wouldn't fear a bit, if mine was assembled here or there, regarding the quality. But,,, it matters some to me, the car won't have to travel to me around the world on a stinkin' and polluting ship. Hopefully, Volvo starts assembling more models in USA too.
      Are you positive Volvo will continue making XC60 in Europe? If they are why have they stopped taking orders for OSD?

Quote Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
      Are you positive Volvo will continue making XC60 in Europe? If they are why have they stopped taking orders for OSD?
      Have they stopped taking orders for all XC60 models, not only T8? If so, it's possible Volvo decided all XC60 models for USA, will from MY2109 be delivered from the Chinese factory only.
      Last edited by betterlead; 01-26-2018 at 11:09 AM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast