My T5 has lost some of its ooomph
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

My T5 has lost some of its ooomph

When I loaded the car on the trailer to tow it all the way across I-10, it was running great. Just had it looked over for the last time in AZ and it felt tight and responsive.
      Pulled it off the trailer in FL and ever since the 2nd trip,
      I've felt like the Righteous Brothers, as lost loving feeling. I have intermittent ABS/Anti-skid and Brake Service Req messages, and a 50 mi 1-way trip to the dealer told me that the BCM is failing.
      But I also have not been getting max boost. The car feels pretty slow, like I am missing 20-30 horses. I haven't been able to exceed 8psi since I got here, even though we have had record cold, when in AZ this car would be all sorts of fun.
      So would a bad BCM cause the ECU to restrict boost? I know it kills the cruise control when the warnings are on.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2005 Mazda6 Sportwagon in progress...
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Try a hard reset by disconnecting the battery to see if that helps.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

So, this has been dogging me since I left AZ, and except for a few good days this past summer, I still feel like the car is down several ponies.
      Things that have been discussed or replaced in the last 2 years:
      I had to leave my genius indy retired Volvo master tech, but the guy who does Volvo/M-B here said to try 0% ethanol gas first. IDK why that would be an issue at sea level/80% humidity if I ran on 91 octane E10 all day at 2000ft/5% humidity, but I'm new down here, so I complied. Got no benefit when running a tank of the 93 octane E0. It was after giving up and running normal Sams Club 90 E10 that I suddenly had power back. So I am split on fuel being the remedy.
      Before the E0 experiment, I had already replaced the plugs. Since then, I have replaced the hydraulic motor mounts (right mount done in AZ, top and torque mounts already moved to poly) replaced all the coolant hoses and the Tstat, put the blue coolant back in and replaced the charge air hoses with silicone although I verified that they were free of breaks. Battery has been removed from car and charged, so its not an ECU memory issue either. My boost gauge shows vacuum shoot all the way below -20 when off throttle, and it stays near -20 when idling, so I think that removed vacuum leak. Could it be the diaphragm in the CBV? I put a Snabb TCV on many years ago, when I thought the Pierson unit was acting up (but it wasn't) so could that be it? IDK why I can't get the pressure beyond 9psi anymore and why I don't experience any kind of torque steer at all. Definitely down on power.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

2001 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean/2000 Honda Odyssey EX recently passed (together!)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

FWIW, the BCM issue went away immediately after the cold snap in 2018, and I suppose it was related to circuit board solder connections that are restored in normal temps.
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

Snabb TCV is garbage, throw it away. There are no MAC type valves that play well with ME7. The TCV to use is the R/late T5's with K24 unit.

PN 30670449

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...volvo-30670449

Also check for boost leaks at the turbo and intercooler outlet and also throttle body as those are the most likely.
      Last edited by ScottishBrick; 12-12-2019 at 05:53 PM.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 197k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 291k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 174k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 238k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 212k - Sisters

SB,
      Everything between the turbo and IC fit nice and tight. Everything downstream has never been touched, but I did my best eyeball exam of that last plastic beast while I had everything off and had a bit of visibility, and everything seemed intact. I kinda thought it was the turbo-OTE hose, and was surprised that although it was plenty pliable, no breaks.
      I am still doubtful its a leak, at least until proven wrong.
      Back to the Pierburg I suppose.
      What's the final word on the Porsche TCV?
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
      SB,
      Everything between the turbo and IC fit nice and tight. Everything downstream has never been touched, but I did my best eyeball exam of that last plastic beast while I had everything off and had a bit of visibility, and everything seemed intact. I kinda thought it was the turbo-OTE hose, and was surprised that although it was plenty pliable, no breaks.
      I am still doubtful its a leak, at least until proven wrong.
      Back to the Pierburg I suppose.
      What's the final word on the Porsche TCV?
      Not sure but youre not running 27+ pounds of boost so the volvo spec'd unit should suffice.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 197k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 291k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 174k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 238k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 212k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      Not sure but youre not running 27+ pounds of boost so the volvo spec'd unit should suffice.
      If I can keep the car from being totaled here in Lower Alabama, I want to go Stage II.
      2012 Ford Flex Limited

Mine was kind of doing that, possibly because I replaced the intake pipe with a Snabb.. I wasn't paying too much attention, as I really don't punch it all that often, and typically not for very long; but I finally figured out it was overboosting, and throttling the boost but not throwing any codes for a while.. then it would magically fix itself for a good solid pull...seemed to be ~100 miles or so, and if I happened to nail it in that time it would seem sluggish (only used 5 psi, instead of tuned 14-15). Only figured it out because it finally threw a code. I had to back the blow-off screw down 2.5 turns to get in the right psi; I turned it down 1, then .5 turn at a time until it didn't overboost..was going up to 16.5-17psi.. now it'll hold just below 15, like it's (mine) supposed to.
      Mine was probably compounded by the tune not being adjusted for the Snabb intake and Snabb downpipe.
      On that note, get a boost gauge if you don't have one, it seemed expensive to me, but it was well worth it. So, have you checked the blow-off release pressure?
      2000 C70 HPT 5 spd; ~140k miles IPD high-flow air filter; Snaab high-flow Intake; Snaab short throw shifter.
      2004 V70 AWD ~155k 16T; Snaab high-flow intake; Snabb downpipe; ARD tune

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements