"Volvo on Call service required"
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Had this on my instrument panel display since a week ago.

Only thing I did right before this happened is to enable the complementary 3GB LTE data provided by AT&T (went to AT&T website, punched PIN to enable it). This might not be related at all, but I did find another thread indicating faulty phone module: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-Required-quot

Any other similar experience? Got an appointment. Hope fix can be quick. It otherwise does not affect driving. Car is brand new (1 month).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Had the same problem - they replaced the VCM (vehicle communication module) - problem solved
      2017/XC90/Osmium Grey T8 Inscription no B&W, no child pakket, no seat pakket and no Air suspension

Quote Originally Posted by hhl1687 View Post
      Had this on my instrument panel display since a week ago.

Only thing I did right before this happened is to enable the complementary 3GB LTE data provided by AT&T (went to AT&T website, punched PIN to enable it). This might not be related at all, but I did find another thread indicating faulty phone module: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-Required-quot

Any other similar experience? Got an appointment. Hope fix can be quick. It otherwise does not affect driving. Car is brand new (1 month).
      Welcome to the club. There a small bunch of us with this issue. Haven't noticed a pattern as it seems to affect all model years. I think most who've had it have been told it's due to a bad battery in the VCM which as I understand it is the module with the modem in it. A replacement of the entire module is apparently the solution. I will advise you, however, that some of us had problems with this where the replacement didn't work and the VOC service could not be activated after the replacement which necessitated even more work to get the software in the vehicle reloaded. Also, some, including myself, are getting the message again even after the replacement was performed. The VOC service actually works regardless of the message so I don't know if it's even a legitimate error message.

The occurrence and fairly wide age of vehicles affected makes it seem to me like it's a software problem.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

^^What he said...welcome to the club. I've had it at the dealer 2 times for this in the first 2 months of ownership. Last time they changed the battery in the VOC module...which has solved the problem so far (3 weeks) but I am not optimistic...I mean how could a battery already be bad on a 2 month old car? I have a feeling mine will come back and then they will replace the VOC module. We'll see.
      Last edited by Nickshu; 01-27-2018 at 09:35 AM.
      Dailys: 2015 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar - Passion Red / 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor / 2019 VW Golf R 6MT (On order)
      Fun: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 (Trailered track monster)
      Prior Cars of Note - 2018 XC90 T8 RD, 2013 C70, 2004 V40, 2005 Lotus Elise S/C, 2003 Porsche 911 C2, 1982 Porsche 911SC, 1995 Range Rover County LWB, 1964 Corvair Spyder convertible, A Bunch of Saabs
      Quote: "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" -Colin McRae

I had this issue. Dealer said it was the battery but they are on backorder so it would be at least 3-4 weeks. In the meantime, issue has mysteriously gone away? I am wondering if it was actually a software issue?
      2016 XC90 T8 Crystal White Pearl/Amber Momentum Convenience & Vision packages (bought back by Volvo)
      2018 XC90 T8 Crystal White Pearl/Amber Momentum Vision, Momentum Plus, B&W, Air suspension

Same thing for me - problem started mid Dec, went away early Jan, came back about two weeks ago. Dealer ordering a battery for the VOC module for me - supposedly going to be in by mid February. Oh well ....
      2018 XC90 T8 Inscription Denim Blue/Maroon Brown Leather
      2014 MB CLS550 Palladium Silver/ Black Sport Leather
      2015 MB GLK350 Polar White/ Sahara Beige MB Tex
      2005 Lexus SC430 Twilight Amethyst Pearl/ Ecru Leather

Take a look at technical Journal 31938.1.0. That should answer your question.

I just gave up. That message comes and goes, without any apparent consequence. It's been like that since the first day, the dealer can't figure it out, everything works.

I'm part of the club...Had service message come on within 1 week of ownership...battery replaced after one month of ownership. Now 2 days ago message is back..car is now coming into 2 months of ownership...FRUSTRATING.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2016 Audi A6, 3.0T, Moonlight Blue
      2019 Volvo XC90 T8, R-Design, Electric Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Bookiepilot69 View Post
      I read it at https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....2016-10-11.pdf
      It doesn’t seem to be the same issue.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD)

Is anyone with a non-T8 model experiencing this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevlig View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Bookiepilot69 View Post
      I read it at https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....2016-10-11.pdf
      It doesn’t seem to be the same issue.
      Totally not my issue. VOC Service Required error message is the issue.

Is anyone with a non-T8 model experiencing this issue?
      I think you asked this in the other thread, but I haven't seen any response from a non-T8 owner. Maybe you're on to something, but what that is, I don't know.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      I think you asked this in the other thread, but I haven't seen any response from a non-T8 owner. Maybe you're on to something, but what that is, I don't know.
      Someone in the other thread posted an interesting observation that the warning shows up only if you unplug the charger cable and drive away immediately, without waiting a minute or two. I think that might be true with my car too. I am 100% sure yet.

If that's true, this would certainly be a T8-only issue.

Someone in the other thread posted an interesting observation that the warning shows up only if you unplug the charger cable and drive away immediately, without waiting a minute or two. I think that might be true with my car too. I am 100% sure yet.

I'll have to try that I guess. I get the error most of the time but not always. I have to say I don't recall getting it the last few days. The only correlation I have for this is that it has been a bit warmer and I haven't been using remote start or preconditioning as much. Not sure if that might be a factor as well.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

I get the error after driving the car off from the park n ride. Not charging there so for me, it is not related to the charging cable.

I'll have to try that I guess. I get the error most of the time but not always. I have to say I don't recall getting it the last few days. The only correlation I have for this is that it has been a bit warmer and I haven't been using remote start or preconditioning as much. Not sure if that might be a factor as well.
      So, this morning, car was in midst of a timed preconditioning, and I unplugged, got in and drove off immediately. No error message. I'll keep my eye on this.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

So, this morning, car was in midst of a timed preconditioning, and I unplugged, got in and drove off immediately. No error message. I'll keep my eye on this.
      Hi phillipu,
      Could you please run another test for me? Try doing the same thing, but without pre-conditioning.

I think I'm seeing some consistency in my results. No warning with pre-con, but shows warning without pre-con.

btw, I don't think this is outside temperature related. I'm getting the warning in mid-70s weather.

Thanks

Hi phillipu,
      Could you please run another test for me? Try doing the same thing, but without pre-conditioning.

I think I'm seeing some consistency in my results. No warning with pre-con, but shows warning without pre-con.

btw, I don't think this is outside temperature related. I'm getting the warning in mid-70s weather.

Thanks
      I happened to run a bunch of errands today without preconditioning and in all cases (four trips), I unplugged, jumped in, started the car and drove off. In two of the cases - the first and second - the battery was fully charged. I've been error free for what feels like about a week now. I have no idea what made the error messages stop. I've done literally nothing to address it. Only change I've made is to load the 1200 maps and update Gracenote and Voice Control. But I think that was only a few days ago so the error messages had already stopped.
      Last edited by phillipu; 02-02-2018 at 07:15 PM.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

I get the warning in the mornings even after I do 10 mins of precon. We're somewhere between 15-25 degrees here in the mornings, maybe 30 degrees in our unheated garage.

I get the warning when i start the car in the garage...50's, 60's. Today in the 70's still the service message

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know I have posted about this before, but I keep getting that message. I have for the past year, without consequences. I am fairly sure it has something to do with losing connection for an extended period. There is an underground parking lot I use in Chicago every couple of weeks and I get that message every single time when returning to my car there.

I am not sure loss of connectivity explains all occurrences. There might be unrelated cases. But it does trigger it, I have no doubt.

I happened to run a bunch of errands today without preconditioning and in all cases (four trips), I unplugged, jumped in, started the car and drove off. In two of the cases - the first and second - the battery was fully charged. I've been error free for what feels like about a week now.
      Looks like your car's behavior is slightly different from mine. After a couple of weeks of playing around with it, here's my new hypothesis.

The VOC Service Required dash warning shows up if I drive away immediately after unplugging the charger cable when the battery is not yet full. The dash warning seems to happen when I get the VOC app push notification "Check cable connection. Your Volvo has stopped or paused charging.".

The dash warning stays on for the rest of the day even if I stop and start the car several times during the day. Not sure when it resets. Perhaps when I plug in again.

Looks like your car's behavior is slightly different from mine. After a couple of weeks of playing around with it, here's my new hypothesis.

The VOC Service Required dash warning shows up if I drive away immediately after unplugging the charger cable when the battery is not yet full. The dash warning seems to happen when I get the VOC app push notification "Check cable connection. Your Volvo has stopped or paused charging.".

The dash warning stays on for the rest of the day even if I stop and start the car several times during the day. Not sure when it resets. Perhaps when I plug in again.
      FYI, dash warnings can be dismissed by pressing the center/circle button on the right side of the steering wheel. This applies to the VOC error, child lock messages, low fuel warnings, etc.

Also, my warning message returned a couple of days ago. I'm still not seeing a pattern on my end. Preconditioned or not, fully charged or not or even not plugged in, the error came up over the last two days. And I always dismiss it using the method above.

It's quite possible that there is some event similar to the one you describe that triggers it and that even with the message being dismissed from the dashboard, a stored error code could be causing the message to come up again. It may be that whatever that condition is, I avoided it for a period of time that let the stored error code expire and that would explain why my message went away for a bit.

I guess the best way to test your hypothesis would be to only plug in overnight (to avoid the possibility of the interrupted charging warning being triggered) for some period of time to see if the message goes away for you. Then, if it does, wait a few days following the same only overnight charging pattern as proof that it doesn't return. Then, once you're convinced it is gone, purposefully perform an incomplete charging session to see what happens.

It would also be interesting to see if the notification for this event is itself a cause for the problem. I'm not sure if disabling that warning in the VOC app changes anything in the vehicle or just ignores the notification from the Volvo servers but it'd be an interesting further test.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

Got my car back from taking in for the VOC service issue...they are going to replace the whole module, but its backordered any where from a couple days to 2+ weeks. So i get to drive around staring at the service message for a while longer, hopefully replacing the whole module resolves the issue once and for all...

Well, I can forget that hypothesis. For the past 2-3 days, it has been popping up that warning pretty much every time I drive the car. Full charge / partial charge, "check cable connection", it doesn't matter. It is all the time now.

I noticed in another thread that there is a "new, new" module people are waiting for. I'll hang tight for now and wait to see if their issues are resolved with the new module.

Well, I can forget that hypothesis. For the past 2-3 days, it has been popping up that warning pretty much every time I drive the car. Full charge / partial charge, "check cable connection", it doesn't matter. It is all the time now.

I noticed in another thread that there is a "new, new" module people are waiting for. I'll hang tight for now and wait to see if their issues are resolved with the new module.
      I am actually currently testing your hypothesis with the added complication that I think there could be a trouble code logged that takes time to get cleared out. So I'm trying to see how long it takes for the error message to go away if you can avoid interrupted charging and without manually resetting codes by pulling the battery.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

The error message has become permanent since I posted. No VOC functions seem to be affected because of this. I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealer now if there is no proven solution for this issue, or wait a little.

Has anyone had this issue resolved for good? Thanks.

The error message has become permanent since I posted. No VOC functions seem to be affected because of this. I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealer now if there is no proven solution for this issue, or wait a little.

Not I. I'm in the same boat. Waiting to bring it in until I hear there's a fix since their first round of fixes didn't take and it's only a nuisance since all of the VOC functions are working.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

Since backordered parts are involved, you might want to get in just so they could order you one.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8: Bursting Blue / Charcoal with Vision, Climate/HUD, Convenience, Booster and Protection
      2015 VW GTi SE 4-door: Deep Black Pearl / Black with 6MT, Performance and Lighting
      2012 BMW X5 35d: Alpine White / Cinnamon with M-Sport, Tech, Luxury, Convenience, 3rd row

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
      Since backordered parts are involved, you might want to get in just so they could order you one.
      Yes, but it is not clear to me that those backordered parts are really fixing the issue though. If I remember right, phillipu had both the VOC module and battery replaced and the problem reappeared after a while.

Yes, but it is not clear to me that those backordered parts are really fixing the issue though. If I remember right, phillipu had both the VOC module and battery replaced and the problem reappeared after a while.
      I had them replaced 3 times. From what they tell me, there is an updated part. I just had the car in early last week, and I'm waiting on the updated unit now.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8: Bursting Blue / Charcoal with Vision, Climate/HUD, Convenience, Booster and Protection
      2015 VW GTi SE 4-door: Deep Black Pearl / Black with 6MT, Performance and Lighting
      2012 BMW X5 35d: Alpine White / Cinnamon with M-Sport, Tech, Luxury, Convenience, 3rd row

Yes, I have had them replaced once. The error came back and I'm waiting things out.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

Knock on wood, I have NOT experienced this issue with a MY16 T8. From reading the posts, it seems MY17s and'18s. I don't know if this is where the 3G (MY16) v. 4G LTE (MY17+) hardware difference comes into play...?
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 02-22-2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added key word “not”
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Almost 1 month after my VOC module battery change and the error message has not returned. Hopefully that continues, so far so good.
      Dailys: 2015 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar - Passion Red / 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor / 2019 VW Golf R 6MT (On order)
      Fun: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 (Trailered track monster)
      Prior Cars of Note - 2018 XC90 T8 RD, 2013 C70, 2004 V40, 2005 Lotus Elise S/C, 2003 Porsche 911 C2, 1982 Porsche 911SC, 1995 Range Rover County LWB, 1964 Corvair Spyder convertible, A Bunch of Saabs
      Quote: "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" -Colin McRae

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast