Air Suspension Warning
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Air Suspension Warning

Hi all, my xc60 Inscription D4 has just shown a "Air Suspension Warning" message.. it's just got 2500klm on the clock so I'm off to the dealer next week..

Symptoms are: the car is "locked" in the raised position and will not move when selecting any of the drive modes, locking or using the rear up/down switches.

This appears to be the same problem that has impacted MANY xc90's and the solution seams to be a complete replacement of the compressor and dryer units, with attention to "moisture" in the airlines. Some dealers have offered a "software fix" that seems to be only effective for 2-3 days. A lot of xc90's have been off the road for approx 3 weeks for this fix to be done due to "lack of spare parts", I hope it's different here in Australia with parts carried at least in the factory warehouse?? I wunder if the parts are interchangeable with the XC90 (this may also mean a speedy repair).

My dealer has said... drop the car in and we'll have a look at it, they have offered a loaner as well, it's booked in next week so I'll say more on here after that...

I have to say, I've had 2x Discovery Sports both rejected (for the same build quality issues) and received a full refund.. this was my reason to go to Volvo so I hope that it's not a sign of things to come... I've just spent the best part of 2 years arguing with JLR re their quality and build issues.

I've searched the forum and don't see anyone else with this issue YET... so fingers crossed it's a "one off"....

Cheers from down under, David (s5156)

Hope they fix this rather quickly. Sort of the reason why I'd avoid this lovely feature on any new ride i get. The long term reliability of such features/options worries me and I know there are other things to be worried about as well : touch screen, safety electronics sensors.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
      Hers: 2015.5 V60 T5 AWD CC Plat (Black/black)
      Mine: '07 VW Passat 2.0T (black/beige)

Care to share a picture of the message? When my xc90 was rear ended, the air suspension was damaged but still functioned with one error message.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
      2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- ——> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us——-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

4. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Hi christopher.moor, the car is still able to be driven at the moment, will put a pic up later today.
      Cheers from down under, David (s5156)

I wish I was in Australia! Beautiful XC60 you have. Hope it’s fixed soon!

2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- ——> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us——-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

1946 CJ2A Restore

Hi, here's a pic of the Air Suspension Warning message...

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/David/Desktop/Air%20Suspension%20Warning.JPG[/IMG]
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

Well, the pic didn't work, sorry, I'm not sure how to insert pics!
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

Hi all, I hope this will give you the ability to see the Air Suspension Warning message..
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/rvgPvuQvVuE3cOsh1

Yes I saw the image thank you

I had this message when my XC90 was rear ended- I would take it to your local dealer and tell them to fix it. You should be able to drive the Vehicle.

1946 CJ2A Restore

Has me a bit worried. Hope they are able to sort it out for you. I suspect that there are quite a few XC60's with air suspension on the road. Hoping it is simply a rare occurrence. Pls keep us updated!

2019 Volvo XC40 R-Design T5 AWD | Crystal White | Lava Interior | "Deposit Down"
      2018 Volvo XC60 R-Design T8 eAWD | Bursting Blue | Polestar® | Premium Pack | "On the boat"
      2011 Toyota Yaris | Plain Jane White | "Still Kicking"
      1975 Ford Mk 3 Cortina | Pine 'n' Lime | "At the scrapyard"

I hope they have this sussed by the time we pick up ours in Gothenberg in 3 months!
      I don’t want to start seeing warning lights when I’m in Finnmark!

Quote Originally Posted by Gammelgubbe View Post
      I hope they have this sussed by the time we pick up ours in Gothenberg in 3 months!
      I don’t want to start seeing warning lights when I’m in Finnmark!
      Hi all..

I’m not sure if any xc60 owners are aware that this problem has impacted a reasonable number of xc90 (SPA models) as well and the reports indicate that there are a number of steps that must be followed by the dealers as directed by Volvo. Most have reported that the stage 1 and 2 fixes as detailed below do NOT work and that stage 3 is the only real fix that should be undertaken by the dealers.

They are:
      1: Change fuse and update software – None have seen this as a successful fix, with most reporting another failure within a few days.
      2: A replacement of the compressor – Some have reported success, but most have reported another failure within 2-3 months and back to dealer all over again.
      3: A complete replacement of the compressor AND THE DRYER UNIT – This has worked with no ongoing issues reported other that a complete waste of everyone’s time doing the other fixes that ultimately (mostly) fail.

What can I say about the Air Suspension Warning and follow up with MY dealer?

Well the car has been to the dealer and they have followed the Volvo line on how to fix it which is:
      1: Change the fuse and update the software – This has been done and failed – the car is still stuck in the fully raised position with the dealer saying it is safe to drive. Yes it drives but it feels like there is no suspension – hard and non-compliant as would be expected.
      2: They have ordered a new compressor to come from Sweden – this will take approx. 3 weeks. I have suggested to the dealer that they also order another new compressor AND dryer unit and that I’ll be back to see them within a few months.

I have to say, I have no evidence or information that other xc60 (SPA models) have been impacted, but it would be easy to assume that the components/parts are similar or in fact the same items. I understand that the compressor fails due to “moisture in the system” and this would seems to be the issues with my car, it is 14 weeks old and travelled just under 3000klm. It also appears that when the cars are made or being repaired there is the opportunity for moisture to “get into the airlines” or in fact it is the dryer unit that fails first and this may be the issue that damages new or replacement compressors. It also appears crucial that the dryer unit is replaced at the same time!

So for me, I think that I will just have to follow the Volvo directed line and work through all the steps are undertaken and eventually have a car that works as it should.

For those that are interested, I have just been through the lengthy process of rejecting 2 x Land Rover Discovery Sports, these were lovely cars and I really WANTED TO LOVE THEM however, they were both victims of poor build quality and both had the dreaded B-Pillar Rattle. The 1st one was 6 months old when it was reported and various unsuccessful attempts were made to fix it, these included intrusive chiselling, cutting welds, re-welding, removal of interior trim, windscreen, curtain airbag systems (both sides were done at the same time) this fix was well documented on-line as a complete waste of time with a success rate of about 1%. Off course it didn’t work and I then started rejection proceedings with JLR, this took approx. 4 months to eventually be actions and another 2 months for them to find me “another car”.

The 2nd one had the exact same problem and was rejected at 3 weeks, this got me a complete refund with no financial loss to me, and this was then used to purchase my xc60.

Under Australian Consumer Laws the dealer has one attempt to fix a “major problem” if this is unsuccessful the consumer has the right to reject the item (this could be a washing machine, car, computer etc.) as being “unfit for purpose”. I’m not for one minute saying this is where I’m going with this, but I’m not prepared to be screwed around by Volvo in the longer term, been there done that!

So be warned, if this problem impacts you, they will follow the Volvo line on how to fix it even if it just seems wrong to work through all the steps, and that you have consumer rights to help you if you’re not happy.

I love this car, it’s an enormous step up in quality over the LR DS even if it not quite as capable as a 4WD. For me it’s a keeper!

I will keep you all informed.

3 months until we get our XC60 but reading these threads I’m thinking I should have bought my neighbor’s ‘64 544 and put $50K into it. 🤨

All this tech is a double edged sword.

signed,
      6 time Volvo owner

We have had two XC60's come from the factory with failed/shorted air compressors. Hopefully it was just a bad batch of compressors from the manufacture but this is what pushed me to not getting air ride on the wife's.

We have seen NO XC90's with failed air suspension systems other than the knocking from the front shocks.

My S90 has had no issues with its rear air suspension.
      Last edited by gunshow; 02-10-2018 at 08:37 PM.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

I've done 6 compressors for blown fuses and our dealer has probably done about 15. Replacing the fuse works but each time Volvo has asked us to replace the compressor as well. I suspect they are trying to pinpoint the problem.

The fuse isn’t blowing because it just feels like it, is it? And how does replacing the fuse ‘work’, unless Volvo put bad fuses in at the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I've done 6 compressors for blown fuses and our dealer has probably done about 15. Replacing the fuse works but each time Volvo has asked us to replace the compressor as well. I suspect they are trying to pinpoint the problem.
      We’ve just put our 10,000km XC60 into service after getting the Suspension warning light. After a day in the shop, they’ve replaced the compressor (initial diagnosis was leaking) and a new fuse, now having issues recalibrating. Service center haven’t seen this before and have had to send file to Sweden for further investigation. The cars currently sitting on the bump stops.

I hope that the issue is resolved tomorrow.

Must say Volvo Service Centre Sydney have been amazing, contacted them after the place of purchase didn’t really care or care to understand about the fault.

I know where we’ll be getting it serviced.

naked in a pie

Just had the "Suspension warning" come on today in my XC60, 3000 miles, interesting reading here, and I think the thing I noticed it might be climate related as we just had snow and rain today. Seems to be stuck raised. Will be taking to dealer tomorrow and will update once I get a prognosis.

Update: Required new fuse which was replaced after initial diagnosis, checked compressor and replaced after failing to repressurise. Now working and in order. Note, on the receipt of works, states “total upgrade XC90.

Since I’ve the updated software install for Sat Nav, not long after the service it’s been is on the blink.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
      Update: Required new fuse which was replaced after initial diagnosis, checked compressor and replaced after failing to repressurise. Now working and in order. Note, on the receipt of works, states “total upgrade XC90.

Since I’ve the updated software install for Sat Nav, not long after the service it’s been is on the blink.
      I wonder if the replacement compressor has any differences. Maybe a supplier change or part number change.

1946 CJ2A Restore

Fuses blow when the current of that circuit exceeds the rating of the fuse. A seized compressor would cause a high current draw. The ones I have done were all in cold weather, so I suspect moisture is getting in and freezing, since each time I have replaced the fuse, the compressor worked after. I then replaced it per Volvo.

Do you know if this happened in cold scandinavia also? It is not normal that compressor fails here but not there.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

I do not.

“each time I have replaced the fuse, the compressor worked after.”

Well, it would if the conditions had changed such that the compressor was no longer straining but the underlying design issues would still be there awaiting the next confluence of conditions, right? To me the two questions are:

1. Is/are there design issues with the compressor or dryer?
      2. Was there a bad batch of compressors and/or dryers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gammelgubbe View Post
      “each time I have replaced the fuse, the compressor worked after.”

Well, it would if the conditions had changed such that the compressor was no longer straining but the underlying design issues would still be there awaiting the next confluence of conditions, right? To me the two questions are:

1. Is/are there design issues with the compressor or dryer?
      2. Was there a bad batch of compressors and/or dryers?
      Right, that is exactly my point. I think Volvo is trying to narrow this down to find out the root cause so a design change can be made, if needed.

I’m glad we’re on the same page but why is Volvo only having you replace the fuse if it means the customer will return sooner or later when it happens again? That won’t make too many people very happy. Why not immediately replace the units and have them analyzed?

As I said, they have had me replace the compressors.
      Last edited by Tech; 02-13-2018 at 03:47 PM.

New XC60 here and we had/have the same issue. Actually happened on the ~300mi drive home from the dealer! In our case I had the car set to lower when it's turned off, and we stopped at a gas station, heard some strange noises from the back and noticed the suspension didn't lower. From that point it wouldn't raise/lower and after a few miles the "service suspension" message came on. Still trying to get an appointment with our local dealer.

Where is the fuse located so I can at least check if it is blown? The manual indicates it's in the right side of the cargo area but I don't see a fuse box in that area.

Finally got the car in with the dealer. They replaced the compressor and fuse. No mention of the dryer. Hopefully solved for the duration.

What are thoughts on getting the car to the height you want and then turning off leveling control so it stays there? Would that be any less work on the compressor or another reason it's a bad idea? Currently it is set to lower each time the car shuts down (it's easier to get in/out and just looks better sitting the in the parking lot!) so it's going through many raise/lower cycles every day.

Quote Originally Posted by climr View Post
      Finally got the car in with the dealer. They replaced the compressor and fuse. No mention of the dryer. Hopefully solved for the duration.

What are thoughts on getting the car to the height you want and then turning off leveling control so it stays there? Would that be any less work on the compressor or another reason it's a bad idea? Currently it is set to lower each time the car shuts down (it's easier to get in/out and just looks better sitting the in the parking lot!) so it's going through many raise/lower cycles every day.
      Good to hear the dealer resloved the issue, one would think however and ask it this a systemic issue with the system or a possible bad batch of parts on a new vehicle. Is the ride that much differnt betwen a XC60 with and or without suspension? I have only test driven one with as my local dealer is not real interested in working with me or anyone who is not ready to buy on same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat88 View Post
      Good to hear the dealer resolved the issue, one would think however and ask it this a systemic issue with the system or a possible bad batch of parts on a new vehicle. Is the ride that much different between a XC60 with and or without suspension? I have only test driven one with as my local dealer is not real interested in working with me or anyone who is not ready to buy on same day.
      Hi,
      I'd be looking for another dealer if possible, this type of "pre-sale treatment" may be indicative of what could be expected "after sales".

Even though I have the air suspension problem now (as detailed previously) we test drove a number of vehicle/engine combos (and other Volvo models) prior to purchase and our dealer is still offering that type of service even now we have a problem... for them it's not only the 1st sale its the "come back and get another one when you're ready to change or upgrade", e.g. we want your continued business!

I know that doesn't help you, but if you have another dealer I'd be rushing there...

They recently issued a bulletin instructing us to replace the fuse and compressor and perform a sofrware update. A fix is still being investigated.

They recently issued a bulletin instructing us to replace the fuse and compressor and perform a sofrware update. A fix is still being investigated.
      Is this issue isolated to the 2018 models only? It seems like they must have changed suppliers or something. The 16s and 17s rarely had any issues that I recall.

My 18 had no issue with the air suspension for the time I owned it. (Built June 19th 2017)

1946 CJ2A Restore

All of the works performed seem to have fixed the issue, I just hope that it’s not an ongoing concern.

air suspension problem in XC60 MY2018 inscription

I have the same problem. The air suspension does not work and "service need" warning appear.

I have already done 54000km after 12 months

The dealer says that is a compressor issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast