What did you do with your XC70/V70 (2008+) today? - Page 23
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by CrossingCountries View Post
      Different sized chrome in the taillights at a different level? Holes in the tailgate? From what MY they put holes in them. I am a bit lost here...

Different level? The chrome strip meets the level of the bottom of the reverse lights. Perfect level. Same height. Silver white meets silver. Or chrome if you like. Just a matter of looking.
      The chrome strip in the taillights is a different height (width) than the strip across the back. Also, the strip across the back doesn't meet the strips at the bottom os the taillights. To me, they both seem like afterthoughts. At the very least, if you're going to add a chrome strip, it should be a continuous one along the back of the car (light-middle-light, all similar).
      Thinking of buying a car from Red Bank Volvo in NJ? Click here.

Current: '15.5 XC70T6 Platinum P* ('17 Volkswagen Jetta SE 5sp; '97 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 5sp)
      Past Volvos: '90 245DL; '92 245; '91 945Ti; '93 245; '76 244DL; '93 245 Classic; '09 XC70T6
      Growing up (new): '78 244DL; '80 244DL; '82 244T; '84 764Ti; '87 744Ti
      Growing up (used): '66 1800S; '64 122 4dr; '84 244GL; ('94 944); ('94 855Ti)
      Parents' current (my future...): '61 121 2dr; '66 1800S; '87 744Ti; '92 245; '13 S60 T5

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yeah realy. No holes on any P3 XC/V70... no way. No salt no water pushed in. No way. Strip is just tape imho.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
      My Russian is horrible (thanks Google Translate). But there definitely seems to at least have been clips sometime. He did what I would've done too though, cut them off, as they're not needed.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/476319983098396678/
      Volvo (of course) V70 2009/2016, 2.5FT+

Quote Originally Posted by posaune View Post
      NEITHER AM I!

I was hoping the strip was just tape so I could leave it off. I guess that's not gonna happen though. It also seems like holes in the tailgate for clips just beg for rust since the rear wiper constantly pushes water and salt down into that strip.

Volvo has many wonderful design touches in their cars, but I'd love to meet the person responsible for adding the chrome strip on the tailgate and the different sized chrome in the taillights at a different level. It hurts my ocd to know it's back there.
      As the chrome on the P3ís evolved, I like the black trim on my oyster gray 08 XC70 better everyday. I do think the extra chrome looks good on the all black models. To each his own.

Lift gate is fiberglass, no rust.

2008 XC70 (his), 2006 S80 2.5T AWD (hers), Past 1998 V70XC, 2004 V40.
      Using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

If you place the strip you need to rise V O L V O with 0,8cm otherwise way too close. None or both.

XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

Quote Originally Posted by skiz View Post
      I'm doing the head job. New valve guides and rings due to a loss of compression.
      Plus, new gaskets, seals, chain, tensioner, freewheel pulley, water pump, thermostat, coolant pipes, brake lines, etc etc etc
      Sounds like 2 hours of work- at least.

More than a month in the shop unfortunately: time needed to disassemble the engine, time to gather the necessary tools for timing chain and crankshaft, time to get all the spares, time to send the head to the machinery shop, time to get them find the right valves, time to understand why on earth they designed this engine so unique in the world... and so on

Let's see next week when I'll get the worked head how long will be the reassemble

What did you do with your XC70/V70 (2008+) today?

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrracer View Post
      Road trip! Hatch swap! LOL... you're right tho, the strip bugs me personally. If I do end up doing the facelift taillights, it will be sans strip. And I will figure out a way to black out the chrome on the lights
      Here a blackout of the Chrome lights...Wouldnít do it tbh.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

Finally got some ramp time to fit the Volvo engine guard I bought last year.

DSC_0410.jpg

Pretty simple to fit. Just a bit laborious drilling out the holes to fit the rivnuts.

My Volvo tech is going to curse me now every time it goes in for regular servicing!

Oil change still easy I was told...looks good. Itís not IPD is it? OEM.

Oil change still easy I was told...looks good. Itís not IPD is it? OEM.
      It's a genuine Volvo one so 5mm thick aluminium and tougher than the IPD one.
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-480764/2016
      I had a similar one on my old S60 and was tough as old boots judging from the marks on it when I removed it to sell. At least the XC70 has a bit more ground clearance to begin with.
      Managed to scoop it on eBay for a similar price to the IPD so very happy.
      Quite a bit heavier at 8kg than the original fibre one so requires careful balancing to fit single handed.

Quote Originally Posted by torrencelodge View Post
      Lift gate is fiberglass, no rust.
      I had no idea. Cool. I was always chasing hatch rust on my 240s. Glad to not have to worry about it on the XC70.

Here a blackout of the Chrome lights...Wouldnít do it tbh.
      I kind of like it.- maybe not on white, but mine is black sapphire.

Quote Originally Posted by mhon View Post
      It's a genuine Volvo one so 5mm thick aluminium and tougher than the IPD one.
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-480764/2016
      I had a similar one on my old S60 and was tough as old boots judging from the marks on it when I removed it to sell. At least the XC70 has a bit more ground clearance to begin with.
      Managed to scoop it on eBay for a similar price to the IPD so very happy.
      Quite a bit heavier at 8kg than the original fibre one so requires careful balancing to fit single handed.
      Interesting. I didn't realize there was a Volvo one. I ordered the ipd plate in the fall but haven't put it on yet.

I was going to do it on my old car, but never did because the hard plastic one seemed sufficient. I didn't know what people were talking about until I got the '15 with that weird fiber thing. Is it supposed to be for noise deadening or something? It seems like yet another step back on the newer ones vs. the '09.
      Thinking of buying a car from Red Bank Volvo in NJ? Click here.

Current: '15.5 XC70T6 Platinum P* ('17 Volkswagen Jetta SE 5sp; '97 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 5sp)
      Past Volvos: '90 245DL; '92 245; '91 945Ti; '93 245; '76 244DL; '93 245 Classic; '09 XC70T6
      Growing up (new): '78 244DL; '80 244DL; '82 244T; '84 764Ti; '87 744Ti
      Growing up (used): '66 1800S; '64 122 4dr; '84 244GL; ('94 944); ('94 855Ti)
      Parents' current (my future...): '61 121 2dr; '66 1800S; '87 744Ti; '92 245; '13 S60 T5

Finally got the light bar mounted and wired, great improvement, can really see into the trees, just perfect for spotting the Skippy's that regularly jump out at the last minute!
      Attached Images Attached Images
      2001 V70 - 2000 miles from the nearest dealer and 3000 miles from home, used as my DD for work and storage when I go home for a couple of weeks.
      2009 XC70 D5 - bought because it was ridiculously cheap, cheapest on the planet, after the first drive the wife claimed it before we got home.

Quote Originally Posted by Outback V70 View Post
      Finally got the light bar mounted and wired, great improvement, can really see into the trees, just perfect for spotting the Skippy's that regularly jump out at the last minute!
      Wow looks great. Thinking about upgrading from halogen s to XENON 5100K? Would look good together.

Wow looks great. Thinking about upgrading from halogen s to XENON 5100K? Would look good together.

I have thought about upgrading the headlights, but the cost is very prohibitive in Australia, honestly Volvo parts pricing here may as well be described as drug money. If I could get a pair of OEM HID headlights at the right price, I'd consider them, I could do an aftermarket HID conversion but without the projector lens for low beam it won't be a very good outcome, even though I have the ability to trick the computer into thinking the correct current draw is being drawn. I was also thinking about changing the H7 globes to the +50 type which although is the same wattage, has 50% more light output.
      2001 V70 - 2000 miles from the nearest dealer and 3000 miles from home, used as my DD for work and storage when I go home for a couple of weeks.
      2009 XC70 D5 - bought because it was ridiculously cheap, cheapest on the planet, after the first drive the wife claimed it before we got home.

Nice!

I'm about to embark on mounting some spotties onto ours this weekend.

Was wondering if you did the wiring direct to the battery with a typical switch, or into the CME as per Volvo instructions?
      2013 XC70 T6 Polestar(ed)

Quote Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
      Nice!

I'm about to embark on mounting some spotties onto ours this weekend.

Was wondering if you did the wiring direct to the battery with a typical switch, or into the CME as per Volvo instructions?
      Simply wired via a relay to the battery, the relay is triggered by the high beam supply to the LH headlight, I don't put an additional switch into the circuit and just rely on the high beam switch.
      Last edited by Outback V70; 03-06-2020 at 04:59 AM.

Simply wired via a relay to the battery, the relay is triggered by the high beam supply to thew LH headlight, I don't put an additional switch into the circuit and just rely on the high beam switch.
      Thanks for the info.

Depending on how much time I get on the weekend I might try wiring it into the CME and hope I don't need a software update!
      2013 XC70 T6 Polestar(ed)

Hi, I'm new to the site and new to Volvo. I bought 2009 XC70 with 82k from a wholesale dealer in Philly. The car had a few warts to address, but I thought I got a good price. Drove it home 366 miles without a problem, sort of. Check engine light and wouldn't keep any windshield in the reservoir. Got about 26mpg on the trip. So over the last three weeks here's what I've done. Vacumed out about a half gallon of water out of the passenger rear foot well and dried out the carpet. Fixed 1/2" gap in the sunroof gasket where it it seperated at the fusion. Cleaned out sun roof drain tubes. That leak messed the sunroof control switch up, replaced it, Erie Vo-Vo.Cleaned and conditioned the leather interior, water stained in the rear. Looks petty good considering. Changed oil and filter. Three wiper blades, and a fog light grill,left. Had a mis fire cel, changed plugs and bought a coil just in case. The car had been bumped on the left front, killing the headlight washer, my washer leak. Relaced that by pulling the bumper cover, all good with replacement washer and cover. a bunch of posts about the cooling fan, found the main power plug at the relay needed to be cleaned and plugged in again. While doing all this the hood release cable locked up, rusty. Replaced it along with the hood latches. Buffed out the car and waxed it. The finish is a bit messed up from tree sap. Well there you have it. I did what the dealer didn't want to, I think it's going to work out fine. Did I mention I turn 70 this year?
      Last edited by stiksave; 03-06-2020 at 05:02 AM.
      2009 XC70 82K my first Volvo

Nice project stiksave and welcome aboard!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Sounds like a good deal. I bought my 08 w/a few warts & 77k. Now 149k and has been great. Youíll love this car.

2008 XC70 (his), 2006 S80 2.5T AWD (hers), Past 1998 V70XC, 2004 V40.
      Using Tapatalk

Turned her loose today, better pic. Also got a P003F cel, arghhhh. I'll try and clean this solenoid, If that doesn't work, Rock Auto has replacements.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/c566uINw0SE

Add to my list:

New Denso Iridium spark plugs,
      Buffed head lights,
      Replaced fog light grill,
      waiting on delivery of a new VVT solenoid and air filter.

Today I changed all brake discs and brake pads. Also renew the brake fluid.
      at least I get rid of the 16ď wintertires and put summertires (235/40 R18) on.

now she looks this:

Last edited by Busch63; 03-18-2020 at 01:53 PM.
      ...stand clear of the closing doors...

Had the 60k service done at the dealer. 369.00 all in. Smothers Volvo in Santa Rosa CA. Nice folks.
      2014 T6

Suction oil change!

I've been doing drain-fill oil changes all my life, but today, for the 1st time, I did a top-side suction oil change on my 2015 Volvo XC70 T6. It rocks!

The inline-6 engine (B6304) has the oil filter accessed from the topside. (If your filter hangs below the engine, the advantage of suction is lost.)

Not having to jack up the car and crawl under, take off the stone guard -- saves about 1/2 hour. I used a 12V oil pump with the suction tube down the dipstick tube.
      The waste tube goes straight into 1-gal. milk containers. It's a little tricky getting the tip of the suction tube to hover at the bottom of the oil pan. A hollow plastic rod long enough to stand up past the dipstick port would probably be an improvement for suction.

Suction oil change is clean! I didn't spill a drop. That's always been a frustration of draining into an oil catcher basin, then transferring it into milk containers.

If you're thinking "it doesn't get all the old oil out", when the pump hits bottom air, you can pour in a liter of clean oil and suction it out.

As I think back to the "drip, drip" of not getting the drain plug tight enough, or having the wrong washer, this new approach avoids all those underside hassles. I'll be doing suction oil changes from now on.
      Last edited by pbierre; 03-12-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stiksave View Post

Turned her loose today, better pic. Also got a P003F cel, arghhhh. I'll try and clean this solenoid, If that doesn't work, Rock Auto has replacements.
      If you donít mind me asking what technique did you use to buff headlights? Those look awesome!

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

3M xtra fine cut polishing compound and an automotive buffer.

xc https://imgur.com/a/EZiJhiy
      I'm new to Volvos and just finished this little lift on mine. Having a hard time figuring out how to post photos so hopefully something shows up for you guys

Looks good @MARRO!
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

Quote Originally Posted by MARRO View Post
      I'm new to Volvos and just finished this little lift on mine. Having a hard time figuring out how to post photos so hopefully something shows up for you guys
      It looks like it is slowly becoming a trend to lift 30mm or so. I have been in contact with https://crosscountryperformance.com/?currency=EUR (USA)

Also https://tema4x4.com (Russia)

and Vparts Sweden https://vparts.se/eu/

Talking on Instagram with #volvoverlanding

Havenít seen a picture with 19Ē and lifted. It may look pretty cool. So my question is how does it affect the driving experience on asphalt and roundabouts?

https://youtu.be/rBl-ZK44SvI

Quote Originally Posted by MARRO View Post
      It looks like it is slowly becoming a trend to lift 30mm or so. I have been in contact with
      https://crosscountryperformance.com/?currency=EUR (USA)

Also https://tema4x4.com (Russia)

and Vparts Sweden https://vparts.se/eu/

Talking on Instagram with #volvoverlanding

Haven’t seen a picture with 19” and lifted. It may look pretty cool. So my question is how does it affect the driving experience on asphalt and roundabouts?

https://youtu.be/rBl-ZK44SvI

That is The Cross Country kit. I stayed slightly conservative with the AT3's at 225/70r16. I was pretty surprised at how well it rides now. I took the twistiest road around here last night and all I noticed is a dust shield that has to be bent back a hair. I've only ever had trucks all my life so this car is pretty strange to me. It's disappointing how little is out there for these so it looks like I'm going to have to fabricate most things if I decide to keep it and do much more to it.
      Last edited by MARRO; 03-17-2020 at 08:48 AM.

hello all-

I Hope everyone has been safe and healthy in these times.
      1 question- has anyone put tint on theirs? I was debating putting on something like 15-20% all around.

current updates to my 08'-

1) put the grille under the front plates back on, with the light behind it (photos coming soon)
      2) installed the IPD Rear sway bar kit (review also coming soon)
      3) just passed 130k miles.
      4) got some new all seasons (definitely snow drifted a little too much)

Best health everyone!
      -Rose

What did you do with your XC70/V70 (2008+) today?

Didnít drive for 4 days... BATT LOW. Called free assistance. Car started immediately. Drove 30min. Car off. Car didnít start again. Assistance on the way again. Alternator problem? No idea...

Didnít drive for 4 days... BATT LOW. Called free assistance. Car started immediately. Drove 30min. Car off. Car didnít start again. Assistance on the way again. Alternator problem? No idea...
      If you were able to drive 30 minutes, it's likely not the alternator. Battery is probably getting weak... when was the last time it was replaced?
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast