Changes that could/should be made with a software update
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Changes that could/should be made with a software update

I'll suggest the first one, everyone's favorite:

Being able to set the engine shut down on stop off for good.
      2018 Fusion Red/Amber Nappa Leather XC60 Inscription T6 Polestar® B&W Premium Sound, Convenience, Vision, Advance and Luxury Packages, with stainless steel bumper cover.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

somewhere in vt, at the end of very dirt roads
      fix the rain sensor wiper operation.
      fix the voice activation, was way way better in the 2015.5 polestar and that one was't so great.
      Last edited by s60r05; 02-11-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: thought of somethng else
      2018 "polestarred"® XC60 T6 "R" design in electric silver with volvo's 21" summer wheels/tires, 19" BBS winter wheels with relatively quiet Michelin X-Ice
      2007 honda s2000

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post

What does that mean?

I think a performance upgrade to Sensus as a whole is needed, in an effort to decrease start-up lag. I would be fine with Sensus booting during remote start as a stop-gap measure.

I also find the parking sensors to be way to sensitive to minor obstructions like icing. Not sure if that is tunable though.
      2018 XC60 T6 Momentum | Fusion Red | Amber | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | Nav | Heated

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bsparky16 View Post
      What does that mean?

I think a performance upgrade to Sensus as a whole is needed, in an effort to decrease start-up lag. I would be fine with Sensus booting during remote start as a stop-gap measure.

I also find the parking sensors to be way to sensitive to minor obstructions like icing. Not sure if that is tunable though.
      I agree.

1. Sensus performance definitely needs improvement. There is so much lag after the initial boot up.
      2. Not only parking sensors but my car sometimes beeps when car are next to me in the lane with adequate distance.
      3. Would love quick access apps, instead of swiping to the right to access some apps. I thought I saw something in the Polestar 1 prototype about this.
      4. Update to Pilot Assist 2.5/3
      5. I know this may not happen but Wireless Carplay. Maybe Volvo can come out with a Wireless CarPlay adapter which plugs into the USB port. The XC40 has wireless charger...wonder if that will come with wireless carplay.
      XC60 T8 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Bsparky16 View Post
      What does that mean?

I believe Eldorado is referring to the engine start/stop function when vehicle has stopped. It annoys me too.

Being able to download and install updates while car is off and connected to wifi would be nice.
      Last edited by Volvo.Driver; 02-12-2018 at 11:31 PM.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription | Electric Silver | Charcoal Int. w/Metal Mesh Inlay | Convenience : Navigation : Vision | Llumar CTX 30 & Air 80 Tint | 20" Black Diamond Cut Alloys
      2007 XC90 3.2F A 5 | Ice White | Beige Int. w/Genuine Wood Inlay | VIS : CPS : EBD : EBA : DTSC : TPMS : HSS : ROPS : IC : RSC : SIPS : WHIPS : LATCH | 12 Beverage Holders
      2000 S70 SE | Metallic Silver

Assigning a driving mode, for example "individual", to a key fob.
      2018 XC60 T8 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD | Grey | SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo.Driver View Post
      I believe Eldorado is referring to the engine start/stop function when vehicle has stopped. It annoys me too.
      Ahh, I see. I agree that would be a good feature.

However, I think this (and being able to set a particular drive mode to activate on start-up) is tied to company-wide fuel efficiency metrics Volvo can't claim the additional MPG benefit if the measure doesn't re-activate upon start-up. At least that's what I've read in other places.
      2018 XC60 T6 Momentum | Fusion Red | Amber | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | Nav | Heated

I'd like to see the TA/TM info renamed on the instrument cluster. Trip A/Trip B is much more intuitive to me than trying to remember what TA and TM mean. Along with that I'd like to see ability for more customization on the instrument cluster.

A few customizable soft switches on the center display home screen would be nice too. start/stop/radio favorites come to mind.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

1. programmable quick access buttons (360 camera mainly!)
      2. ability to expand Android Auto maps to full screen
      3. lower minimum cruise speed from 20 to 15 mph (mainly for school zones and low speed neighborhoods)
      4. tone control access in music screen instead of having to swipe to right

If only ask for one thing, I vote for: quick access buttons on home screen, so by one tap I can:
      - turn on 360 degree view;
      - Charge/hold battery on T8; ( actually need only one option: save battery (don't use it, keep charging it when braking)
      - disable start/stop, on T5/T6.

I think this should be the most wanted improvement. Other things I want:
      - When two keys are in the car, choose the profile from the key closest to driver seat. Eg. add a key sensor on driver's door, besides the cup holder in center console.
      - PA should forget the saved speed when road speed limit changed dramatically. Don't use saved 65mph on local roads.
      - Voice control, please, should meet industrial standard quality.
      - GPS and nav, surely need some improvement overall, not easy to name some specific things.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 02-12-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      I'd like to see the TA/TM info renamed on the instrument cluster. Trip A/Trip B is much more intuitive to me than trying to remember what TA and TM mean.
      This drove me nuts too, but my wife – who's way smarter than me – figured it out. TA is Trip Automatic because it resets itself if the car is off for 4+ hours. TM is Trip Manual because you have to manually reset it. It's actually a clever designation except they forgot to include it in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by BayMan View Post
      This drove me nuts too, but my wife – who's way smarter than me – figured it out. TA is Trip Automatic because it resets itself if the car is off for 4+ hours. TM is Trip Manual because you have to manually reset it. It's actually a clever designation except they forgot to include it in the manual.
      My wife is way smarter than me also and its her car so anytime I drive it I have to relearn what TA and TM mean Took me 3 tries this weekend to figure how to reset both TMs (miles and MPG).

HI, a disable (turn off and leave off) Stop Start!!! I never use it and always my first action is to swipe and turn off this feature.

I'm happy with ALL the other changes suggested above, but my main gripe is with the GPS, why can't we add POI files directly to the GPS? I know you can add an individual "place" as a POI but I want add a file that may contain 30 or 40 things. I've had this feature on many cars and on all aftermarket GPS units. There must be a simple way to do this....
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

I think would be best is a setting, on - aggressive, on - medium, on - long delay, or off.

That way stop at a stop sign, and it doesn't shut off, stop at long light and it does.

The boot times are OK for everything but Nav. It is always the last to come up. I do agree, boot everything on a remote start would hide most of the issues.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Fusion Red
      2008 S60, Maple Red (sold)

0) Infotainment performance. It takes forever for system to boot when starting car. I'm usually halfway out of my garage or parking space before backup camera video starts
      1) End the rain sensing wiper madness
      2) End false parking sensor alerts when in traffic
      3) Reduce City Safety false alerts with parallel parked cars on the shoulder of open roads (restore to level of previous generation XC60 false alerts which was much less frequent under certain conditions).

Yeah, ditch the start/stop or at least allow it to remember the last setting. If it's an issue with laws, at least put it on a fuse that I can accidentally pull.

Quote Originally Posted by macbar18 View Post
      Yeah, ditch the start/stop or at least allow it to remember the last setting. If it's an issue with laws, at least put it on a fuse that I can accidentally pull.
      I like stop/start when I know it is useful. So the problem is how to let me decide whether to stop or not. Or, just wait for 3 seconds at 0 speed before shutting down engine. This way it still pass EPA test but will be much nicer.

Actually, swinging the gear stick to manual is a quite useful gesture to not stop engine, just not very intuitive.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 02-12-2018 at 08:49 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I like stop/start when I know it is useful. So the problem is how to let me decide whether to stop or not. Or, just wait for 3 seconds at 0 speed before shutting down engine. This way it still pass EPA test but will be much nicer.

Actually, swinging the gear stick to manual is a quite useful gesture to not stop engine, just not very intuitive.

Hi, as an addition to my prior post about GPS, is it possible to get rid of the LARGE COMPASS that sits at the top left of the navigation screen? I haven't seen anything that allows me to do this (I could've missed it in the manual). If you can't get rid of it, I'd like to add it to the list of future mods or updates.
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

Quote Originally Posted by s5156 View Post
      Hi, as an addition to my prior post about GPS, is it possible to get rid of the LARGE COMPASS that sits at the top left of the navigation screen? I haven't seen anything that allows me to do this (I could've missed it in the manual). If you can't get rid of it, I'd like to add it to the list of future mods or updates.
      I don't see settings to tweak current nav UI. The nav app itself probably should have some settings to tweak but could hardly cover such subtle details.

Same reason, the nav app need improvement in many aspects, just too many to articulate.

Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

when the turn signal is activated, the visual blinking in the driver's display is not in sync with the audio signal
      Sent from a device using some software

Quote Originally Posted by X3JA View Post
      when the turn signal is activated, the visual blinking in the driver's display is not in sync with the audio signal
      Ahaha, that is next level OCD, I like it.

I don't see settings to tweak current nav UI. The nav app itself probably should have some settings to tweak but could hardly cover such subtle details.

Same reason, the nav app need improvement in many aspects, just too many to articulate.

Yeah, and it should be in stereo, like the parking assist beeps already are.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T5, Denim Blue/Blonde, Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav Pro/Heated Seats/Protection Premiere/ 20" wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      My wife is way smarter than me also and its her car so anytime I drive it I have to relearn what TA and TM mean Took me 3 tries this weekend to figure how to reset both TMs (miles and MPG).
      I wish there was a way to reset ONLY TA which makes sense for small trips rather than have a huge reset button for TM.

Also agree with above on Voice Control that often has a mind of its own, regardless the accent or the pronunciation and to be able to change cluster info based on driver modes, and to assign drive modes to specific keys. At leas I have managed to change themes to each key so easily I understand which key is being used, especially when I have the Key Tag in the car.

Finally please swap to Google Maps, since there is already a collaboration for the VoC why not to have it also in Sensus...

Oh and one more thing... Pilot assist, how about keeping the vehicle in the middle of the lane instead of bouncing off the center and shoulder lines.

I think you mentioned ordering a T8 Inscription in another thread? It might make you happy to know that you don't actually have to deal with stop / start in the hybrid models.

Even when the battery is depleted, there's usually enough reserve power to drive the initial acceleration before the ICE kicks in.

I don't think I've actually had the engine / start stop activate after driving it over a month, but it's possible they've removed that functionality from the T8 entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by AkeemMcLennon View Post
      I think you mentioned ordering a T8 Inscription in another thread? It might make you happy to know that you don't actually have to deal with stop / start in the hybrid models.

Even when the battery is depleted, there's usually enough reserve power to drive the initial acceleration before the ICE kicks in.

I don't think I've actually had the engine / start stop activate after driving it over a month, but it's possible they've removed that functionality from the T8 entirely.
      Yeh mine is T8 and seems don't need to worry. But in theory it could still happen when battery is low and ICE is running.
      And future car will likely all have stop/start though.

Yeh mine is T8 and seems don't need to worry. But in theory it could still happen when battery is low and ICE is running.
      And future car will likely all have stop/start though.
      No, the T8 start/stop design is completely different than the T5/T6. You can't falsely compare the two and then attempt to complain about it.

For starters, there's a 40HP ISG to start the engine and provide torque infill. Second, there's an ERAD powered by a ~2 kWh battery reserve.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Driver display - more customisation and a more modern UI
      2018 XC60 T5 Inscription - Osmium Grey, Charcoal on Charcoal Interior

Change the Nav system so it doesn't warn me that the road I live on is a private road every time.
      Driving a 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription

My rain sensor seems to work fine

Top on my list would be ability to customize tiles, or making them smarter. When I have android auto on, half my screen is taken up by phone and message tiles while AA handles both of those functions. My car doesn't have Navigation and I am forced to have a Nav tile on top at all times that either says No App Connected or No Connection, depending if I activate the really crappy stock maps app or don't have my wifi hotspot on. We should have an ability to use fewer tiles or personalize what apps populate those spots.

An OCD fix is that stock map app (not the navigation)icon isn't sized properly so it is blue with like 3 pixels of black above and below it where all the other icons stretch to the edges. I think Volvo wants to annoy us into buying navigation =p

Quote Originally Posted by s60r05 View Post
      fix the rain sensor wiper operation.
      fix the voice activation, was way way better in the 2015.5 polestar and that one was't so great.

Quote Originally Posted by X3JA View Post
      I was intrigued by this, so kept an eye out this morning. The flashing icon, audio ticking, and the actual LED signal were all synced when I tested it.

This thread makes me want to look for something besides a Volvo! Sounds like a lot of little things that are really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by gocards67 View Post
      This thread makes me want to look for something besides a Volvo! Sounds like a lot of little things that are really annoying.
      Every car I've had in the last 20 years has features/implementations I find "annoying". Most of the things listed in this thread, including my own, are what I would label as "pet peeves". They certainly do not make me regret buying the XC60.

When I was shopping for our car, I was particularly attuned to the safety and convenience features and their human interfaces. When I started, Volvo wasn't even on my list, but in the end the XC60 won hands down. Yes, there is a long list of silly lapses, but all the others all had huge blunders of one kind or another. As this thread suggests, many of these things can be fixed after the fact, and Volvo seems to be pretty generous in retrofitting via software updates when the hardware permits. The basic architecture is well-thought-out, and reflects a vision of simplicity and elegance that is just lacking in most other marques. I am pretty confident that many of the rough edges will be smoothed out over time.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T5, Denim Blue/Blonde, Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav Pro/Heated Seats/Protection Premiere/ 20" wheels.

I have to admit, frequent over the air updates to my Tesla are kind of slick. The downside is that they seem to rush stuff out a bit and as likely to break something as they are to enhance it...still, it's generally better than waiting forever for something (or never getting it) and/or having to go to the dealer for it. Tesla does seem to try to mitigate the risk lately by pushing some releases out to just a few cars (we'll call those folks "involuntary beta testers") before pushing stuff out in a widespread manner. The really odd thing with Tesla is some basic capabilities (like really decent iPhone integration) is STILL missing years later. They also don't have Android Auto or Apple Carplay and while I don't think either of those are that compelling today, they are definitely the future...
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast