Changes that could/should be made with a software update - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by gocards67 View Post
      This thread makes me want to look for something besides a Volvo! Sounds like a lot of little things that are really annoying.
      I gave a fairly long list to improve. Good companies usually appreciate the feedback and suggestions. This car has fewer or less severe annoyances than the previous generation XC60 or other brands I have owned or leased.

One more annoyance to add to the list is the long screen delay after changing drive modes. It goes against the laws of modern push and set UI behavior. Well shown here: https://youtu.be/oWsja2WkNKg?t=218

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pfram View Post
      I gave a fairly long list to improve. Good companies usually appreciate the feedback and suggestions. This car has fewer or less severe annoyances than the previous generation XC60 or other brands I have owned or leased.

One more annoyance to add to the list is the long screen delay after changing drive modes. It goes against the laws of modern push and set UI behavior. Well shown here: https://youtu.be/oWsja2WkNKg?t=218
      Ha, yes agreed on both fronts. I don't believe people here are trying to say they are unhappy with their cars. I know I'm not.

But yes, why does it take so long for the drive mode input to register??
      2018 XC60 T6 Momentum | Fusion Red | Amber | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | Nav | Heated

I’d like to see individual tire pressure and not just colors.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGol View Post
      Unfortunately this isn't possible. The TPMS on these cars doesn't actually measure the pressure, but uses the rotational sensors to determine if the pressure is lower than the rest. The advantage to this is you don't have to pay for TMPS sensors on each wheel. The disadvantage is what you describe on your wish.

Quote Originally Posted by dunkman View Post
      Unfortunately this isn't possible. The TPMS on these cars doesn't actually measure the pressure, but uses the rotational sensors to determine if the pressure is lower than the rest. The advantage to this is you don't have to pay for TMPS sensors on each wheel. The disadvantage is what you describe on your wish.
      Well at least we see the individual tire color. I had a Toyota Prius Prime last year that just had 1 TPMS indicator so you had to guess the wheel when the indicator came on.

Interestingly enough though, I was able to get the Prius's exact tire pressure to 1 decimal (and temp) when I bought an ODBII monitor from a company called ScanGauge.

I'd like the Active High Beam to remember the last setting.

Well at least we see the individual tire color. I had a Toyota Prius Prime last year that just had 1 TPMS indicator so you had to guess the wheel when the indicator came on.

Interestingly enough though, I was able to get the Prius's exact tire pressure to 1 decimal (and temp) when I bought an ODBII monitor from a company called ScanGauge.
      Oh yeh, I think a ODBII data on these kind of thing is very useful. Not sure if they use standard data format / protocol. I hope my Bluetooth ODBII reader can get these informational data from new Volvo cars. I don't need those numbers on daily basis but whenever I feel concerned, I can always bring up the smartphone app to read these numbers. Even better, integrate a read-only Bluetooth ODBII reader (cost $10) in the car and make it show up in VOC app, and everyone will love it.

I'd like the Active High Beam to remember the last setting.
      This!!!

I don't think there are tpms sensors in the wheels, so no way to know pressure. From what I've been told, they are using the ABS wheel speed sensors to detect change in wheel speed due to change in tire circumference to determine that the pressure is low. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to see Battery Voltage and Cabin Temp available somewhere.

-I'd like to be able to see engine temp.
      -Put trip computer information as an option to show on the 12" gauge cluster between the gauges. (Currently its maps or media info)

Headlamp on symbol only green when headlights are on - not green for DRLs
      2018 XC60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | 21" | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | Heat | B&W | Air Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by sometallguy View Post
      -I'd like to be able to see engine temp.
      Thumbs up for this. In the past I've been able to stop problems about to happen by seeing the engine temp not being normal before a warning light comes on.

I'd think they could put this in the Car Status app on the screen that right now just shows oil level.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Fusion Red
      2008 S60, Maple Red (sold)

Besides Artist, Album, Composers and Genre, it would be nice if I can choose folders when playing mp3s.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription | Electric Silver | Charcoal Int. w/Metal Mesh Inlay | Convenience : Navigation : Vision | Llumar CTX 30 & Air 80 Tint | 20" Black Diamond Cut Alloys
      2007 XC90 3.2F A 5 | Ice White | Beige Int. w/Genuine Wood Inlay | VIS : CPS : EBD : EBA : DTSC : TPMS : HSS : ROPS : IC : RSC : SIPS : WHIPS : LATCH | 12 Beverage Holders
      2000 S70 SE | Metallic Silver

At a Starbucks drive through yesterday, I wish I could have folded the side mirrors in. I had to keep my distance and it was awkward to reach. It should be easy to program that one.
      2018 Fusion Red/Amber Nappa Leather XC60 Inscription T6 Polestar® B&W Premium Sound, Convenience, Vision, Advance and Luxury Packages, with stainless steel bumper cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
      At a Starbucks drive through yesterday, I wish I could have folded the side mirrors in. I had to keep my distance and it was awkward to reach. It should be easy to program that one.
      You can do that simply by pressing both the L and R buttons on the driver's door simultaneously.
      Last edited by Dystaxia; 02-17-2018 at 08:13 AM.
      2018 XC60 T8 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD | Grey | SOLD

There is also a symbol next to the controls that shows when both are pressed together that the side mirrors will fold.

Good. One less thing to worry about. One screen shortcut wouldn't hurt.
      2018 Fusion Red/Amber Nappa Leather XC60 Inscription T6 Polestar® B&W Premium Sound, Convenience, Vision, Advance and Luxury Packages, with stainless steel bumper cover.

I wish Navigation would remember I muted it or atleast have a volume control.

I wish the car would lock itself when I walk away from it.

I do like how Pilot Assist is gradual on accelerating and braking.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription | Electric Silver | Charcoal Int. w/Metal Mesh Inlay | Convenience : Navigation : Vision | Llumar CTX 30 & Air 80 Tint | 20" Black Diamond Cut Alloys
      2007 XC90 3.2F A 5 | Ice White | Beige Int. w/Genuine Wood Inlay | VIS : CPS : EBD : EBA : DTSC : TPMS : HSS : ROPS : IC : RSC : SIPS : WHIPS : LATCH | 12 Beverage Holders

Does anyone know if Volvo looks at this "wish list" of improvements? Is there a place/email address to let Volvo know about a "few" of our suggestion for improvement?

I have had the car for a week. I really enjoy it but, like may others see some improvements that are software based! And yes, some of these have been previously mentioned:

- Faster boot times for Sensus. Prioritize back-up/360 camera operation to load first
      - Remember Start/Stop settings
      - An area on the main screen for frequently used buttons like the camera and start/stop. This area could sit over the climate controls. It would eliminate lots of swiping left or right
      - A way to know if headlights are on or off (not just running lights)
      - Better organization and integration of the Sirius stations and other stations. They both have a separate "Favorites" section. Probably only need one "Favorites" section for all favorites be it Sirius or AM/FM.
      - When the Media window is open on the main screen, say when your listening to Sirius, have ALL options to change source listed down the left side of the screen. I think not it only shows last two sources. Plenty of room to show them all. Once again, eliminates
      swiping
      - More intuitive voice commands. It gets confused easily.
      - More custom themes for gauges and Sensus screen.
      2018 XC60 R-Design Black---Convenience--Vision--Advanced --Heated everything
      2014 Porsche Boxster 981

I was wondering the same thing when I started this thread. Could any of our moderators respectfully approach any Volvo PR people and present some of our suggestions?

My wife really likes the car but the start/stop nonsense drives her crazy. There's no reason why this couldn't be a permanent setting. And sitting in the garage waiting for sensus to boot to turn on the heating for the seats is annoying.

HUD more info required.. Sound system...

Hi all, further to my previous items in this thread..

I wish that the HUD also included "blind spot indication".. I love this feature, but you really have to take your eyes of the road to check the glow in the mirrors. I know that you should be turning your head to check when moving lanes, but it would also be nice to have that EXTRA info in the HUD. On some earlier Volvo's the warning indicator was in the interior door frame and a lot closer to your line of sight/field of vision.. the mirrors on the xc60 sit very wide (my thoughts) that a lot of other cars. As a safety feature it seems silly to take your eyes away from the road and not make it a feature in the HUD as well.

As for the comments about the Entertainment System interface.... if manufacturers can make it happen without any drama on mp3 players why can't Volvo do it on this system? All the problems associated with playlists, albums, artists etc mentioned in other threads surely must give Volvo a wake up call about how "clunky" their system is and what it CAN NOT DO compared to others. This really gets at me, as when your pay lots for the B&W system you expect it to work without simple to fix glitches - future software updates should to this as it's not a physical problem... same goes for the HUD. The sound is great but the interface/selection and how the system handles stored music is crap! I'd love to see how it works on the xc40, if it's been fixed etc. and if so it should be made available as a update for the xc60.

Please don't think for one minute that I don't love this car, it's great but it could be even better!

Cheers to all
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

Driver Performance Screen: I'd like to see a numeric value on the Driver Performance screen that shows current battery percentage (not a bar graph that doesn't have a value to it, and the same goes for the VOC app too....which I've asked Volvo to add to the app as well. That bar graph does no good IF and WHEN it decides to update during charging, I feel like it only knows 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full....I want numbers), how much energy has been regenerated, and how much energy is CURRENTLY being regenerated (i don't know if that's possible but it would be cool to know for metrics). I'm a numbers kind of guy. They tell me more and don't hide anything like these stupid subjective bar graphs do, haha.

Navigation: Why can't the system show us a couple different ways to get somewhere? Couldn't we have that choice? And the Turn by Turn directions: PLEASE change it so it tells us the distance from each turn, NOT from our current position. OK, it makes no sense to look at the turn by turn and know that in 17 miles I have a right turn, and in 27 miles from my current position I have my second right turn. Tell me that in 17 miles I have a right turn, and then 10 miles after my first turn I have another right turn to make. And could we get a "Trip Overview" before we hit the "Start Navigation" button to see if the way it wants to take me makes any sense? I find myself consulting the SENSUS navigation directions and ALSO consulting my Apple Maps navigation because sometimes the SENSUS makes zero sense in the way it wants to take me....so I end up using Apple Maps. BUT, I have to look at the confusing turn by turn directions given by SENSUS and have to figure out the math and see if they make sense with the Apple Maps and when to turn and in how many miles after each turn......not from my current position (SENSUS navigation). And my real time traffic information works 20% of the time too......no clue why. Some days I get the green, orange, red traffic flow markings....some days I don't. Maybe that's why SENSUS always navigates me on the busiest routes, that make no sense to go? Either way, consistency would be NICE.

And along with everyone else; 1. Speed up the UI experience 2. Do something about the extremely annoying park assistance alerts when traveling in rush hour traffic where I'm CLEARLY not trying to park in the middle of a busy rush hour traffic roadway. 3. Add more viewable options to the drivers display instead of just navigation or media (trip information/energy usage information, engine temp/other user configurable gauges maybe? OR, wouldn't it be cool to be able to view a split camera view from the left and right rear view mirrors in the drivers instrument cluster center display as a way to check our blind spots as well?!? Maybe that doesn't make any sense, but who cares, hahaha).

I can't think of anything else at this point. BUT I do want to say that besides all of my gripes and ramblings, I seriously LOVE my XC60!! None of the things mentioned in this thread would change my mind towards the vehicle, and with time I think Volvo could fix a lot of these things. But, unfortunately, if they don't monitor or receive any of these ideas or comments, they will never get fixed. That's why I'm CONSTANTLY emailing them all of the time with the hopes they're considering my suggestions. They're probably like, "Here he goes again! ANOTHER email!!" Haha. Hey, looking out for the good of us all
      Last edited by jyanosh; 03-20-2018 at 06:57 PM.
      2018 XC60 T8 Inscription with Convenience, Advanced, Vision and Luxury Packages; B&W and Air Suspension. Onyx Black with Amber Interior and Metal Mesh Inlay.

Quote Originally Posted by s5156 View Post
      Hi all, further to my previous items in this thread..

I wish that the HUD also included "blind spot indication".. I love this feature, but you really have to take your eyes of the road to check the glow in the mirrors. I know that you should be turning your head to check when moving lanes, but it would also be nice to have that EXTRA info in the HUD. On some earlier Volvo's the warning indicator was in the interior door frame and a lot closer to your line of sight/field of vision.. the mirrors on the xc60 sit very wide (my thoughts) that a lot of other cars. As a safety feature it seems silly to take your eyes away from the road and not make it a feature in the HUD as well.

As for the comments about the Entertainment System interface.... if manufacturers can make it happen without any drama on mp3 players why can't Volvo do it on this system? All the problems associated with playlists, albums, artists etc mentioned in other threads surely must give Volvo a wake up call about how "clunky" their system is and what it CAN NOT DO compared to others. This really gets at me, as when your pay lots for the B&W system you expect it to work without simple to fix glitches - future software updates should to this as it's not a physical problem... same goes for the HUD. The sound is great but the interface/selection and how the system handles stored music is crap! I'd love to see how it works on the xc40, if it's been fixed etc. and if so it should be made available as a update for the xc60.

Please don't think for one minute that I don't love this car, it's great but it could be even better!

Cheers to all
      I think that the answers to both of your ideas have to do with safety:

1) I am pretty sure that the experts believe that having blind spot indicators anywhere other than on the mirrors is ill-advised, because it tends to encourage people to rely only on the centralized display and stop turning their heads. As you acknowledge, this is not good, so it is considered poor practice to do anything that encourages such behavior.

2) Although I agree with you that the Sensus UI leaves much to be desired, it is not as simple as copying techniques developed for consumer devices. Automotive systems have to be optimized to be minimally distracting for the driver, so what is good for a consumer device is most often far from optimal for a car. It takes time to work out the best approach, and the industry is still working on this.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T5, Denim Blue/Blonde, Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav Pro/Heated Seats/Protection Premiere/ 20" wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
      My wife really likes the car but the start/stop nonsense drives her crazy. There's no reason why this couldn't be a permanent setting.
      Volvo won't do that, because that would worsen the emission rating.

In Sweden, one such rating is how much carbon dioxide your car produces. If you let your car run on idle when not driving, that would definitely hurt the rating.

Same goes with remembering driving mode when starting the car. It has to default to hybrid, otherwise no good rating.
      Sent from a device using some software

Quote Originally Posted by X3JA View Post
      Volvo won't do that, because that would worsen the emission rating.

In Sweden, one such rating is how much carbon dioxide your car produces. If you let your car run on idle when not driving, that would definitely hurt the rating.

Same goes with remembering driving mode when starting the car. It has to default to hybrid, otherwise no good rating.

So to improve the efficiency of gasoline engines, manufacturers turn them off.
      That makes me believe BEVs will be the future. Just how soon is hard to say.

Engine temp? Why not EGT? The puter is watching all that so you don’t have to.
      BLIS in the HUD? No - like we say in the flying biz: keep yer head on a swivel, unless yer in an F1 ride.
      As for the Sensus’ slowness, the one we test drove in Jan seemed to boot up fine and the backup cam seemed to come on pretty quickly, too. Maybe I’m just slow? The wife (it will be her car) did the driving and commented afterwards about the PA ‘ping-ponging’ on the freeway. Saw my CPA Sunday and he said his week old Tesla P75 did that but he got a software update the day before which fixed it completely. Wazzup, Volvo?

Quote Originally Posted by cab View Post
      I have to admit, frequent over the air updates to my Tesla are kind of slick. The downside is that they seem to rush stuff out a bit and as likely to break something as they are to enhance it...still, it's generally better than waiting forever for something (or never getting it) and/or having to go to the dealer for it. Tesla does seem to try to mitigate the risk lately by pushing some releases out to just a few cars (we'll call those folks "involuntary beta testers") before pushing stuff out in a widespread manner. The really odd thing with Tesla is some basic capabilities (like really decent iPhone integration) is STILL missing years later. They also don't have Android Auto or Apple Carplay and while I don't think either of those are that compelling today, they are definitely the future...
      It’s mainly because Tesla has no “dealerships” and have their own service centers. Current dealerships have some kind of rule that any software update has to be done by them, to get the customer into their door.
      --------------------------
      2020 XC60 Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by volodoscope View Post
      It’s mainly because Tesla has no “dealerships” and have their own service centers. Current dealerships have some kind of rule that any software update has to be done by them, to get the customer into their door.
      And the dealers get to charge Volvo for the labor spent upgrading, even if their tech walked away and did 5 other jobs while the computer did its thing, they'll still bill as though the tech was sitting there staring at a progress bar. That cost gets passed on to consumers in the form of higher costs of new models to keep Volvo from losing money servicing the vehicle.

It seems like the last major Sensus update was May 2017 and minor Update was November 2017. I wonder if we gonna get a new one in May 2018...

From this web page it states that all 2018 models are required to have default backup camera view and not 360 view: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...as-of-may-2017

Nov 2017: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...-november-2017
      Last edited by volodoscope; 03-21-2018 at 04:06 PM.
      --------------------------
      2020 XC60 Polestar

SENSUS NEEDS DESPERATE HELP. System lag at start-up is absolutely unacceptable.

One should be able to turn on their heated seat and heated steering wheel right after initial start up.

What's worse is, the Sensus system is laggy after EACH and EVERY start up, regardless of cold start or not. WHYYYY?? A key fob unlock should trigger system start up so it's ready to go once you get in the car.

The icons on the right-most screen look horribly rudimentary. That entire screen needs major cleanup and revamping -- it may have been acceptable a prototype, but on a full-blown production car... Me thinks not.

The 360 degree cameras should have the option to be activated from the parking sensor display. I can't tell you how many times the pesky parking sensor display gets in my way from turning on the 360 cameras to see where the objects are!!

ALSO, the car should know WHEN to show me my front camera or my surround-view. When I'm in drive, my camera button always pulls up my rear-view camera first... as if it weren't annoying enough to have to swipe across a laggy, slow screen, fish for the camera button, press it, then press 360 view to get to the surround view, THEN press on the front camera to focus on it... this isn't rocket science here, Volvo!!

I'd also like to see the images from the 360 cameras stitched together better on my S90. The placement of the rear-view camera (as a result of it being low in the rear bumper) completely throws off the stitching of the images. It makes the cameras almost useless when they don't transition from one to the next seamlessly.

Better voice command and wireless CarPlay are a MUST!!

I'd like the ability to have Auto Start/Stop enabled in "Dynamic" mode and I'd like the car to save my driving modes each time I shut it off.

I'd like more functionality from the driver's digital display -- there's no reason why this can't be more like Audi's Virtual Cockpit (minus the amazing resolution Audi has to offer).
      Last edited by EssNinety; 03-22-2018 at 12:02 AM.

This may have been mentioned already, but I'll bring it up again...

You can rearrange icons on the left and right screens. I moved all the icons I don't care about way down the page so you can only see them by scrolling. That left me lots of room to spread out and organize the stuff I do care about, so it's easier to find. I was also able to uninstall a lot of the bloatware apps that I don't use. It's not as nice as being able to put icons into a quick launch bar on the home screen, but it's better than the cluttered mess that comes by default.

Quote Originally Posted by EssNinety View Post
      The 360 degree cameras should have the option to be activated from the parking sensor display. I can't tell you how many times the pesky parking sensor display gets in my way from turning on the 360 cameras to see where the objects are!!
      THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's good to know that they can be re-arranged. I agree that a quick launch on the bottom of the screen, available from any screen, would be ideal.

That's good to know that they can be re-arranged. I agree that a quick launch on the bottom of the screen, available from any screen, would be ideal.
      Wait for the P*1 to be presented again. The quick access buttons showed up in preproduction P*1 and I think it reasonable to be shipped first on it. Then trickle down to old models.

There is always hope. If Volvo still retrofit software goodies after 4 or 5 years I think it will be big win for owners and the company.

Rolling, Fusion Red XC60 T8
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast