P* 2017 hard shifts - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Just received this from the garage.

Hi Mr Bradley,

Apologies for the late reply. I had some details back from Volvo technical. I explained your symptom with the gearbox on the V60 and what you experienced, and they have come back with the following feedback…

Believe it or not, this is not a fault.

The Polestar has a unique tuning for the gearbox and AWD system.

In certain conditions, it is possible to hit the limiter, for instance under full throttle while rounding a bend.

This usually only happens in sport mode or in manual mode.

Hopefully this will explain why the car has done this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

LOL
      Volvo V60 Polestar MY2018 Cyan Racing Blue

Guessing that's a load of bull.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Reece I think I received the exact same reply from the dealership the first time I mentioned this problem to them. I then took them out and demonstrated the problem to them, then they duplicated the problem when they had the car. I then held my iPhone on the steering wheel and filmed the shifting, whereby it would bo7nce off the rev limiter and smash into the next gear with an almighty thud. Meanwhile the supercharger would be by passed. And I was being told this was normal, until I pressed harder.

The dealership certainly went above the level of service I expected. A runway was used to test my vehicle and find a solution.

It has now been over a week since the supercharger pipe was reattached correctly, after having to drop the engine to fix this fault. Has not played up since and is still so responsive, like one would have expected from a 270kw car.

I was ready to sell this car, had it not been been for the guys spending more time on my car and trying to find a cause.

It’s a shame that Volvo international do not have an internal forum/memo which may help other dealerships save considerable time in fault finding and diagnosing complex issues.

That said, 1% of me keeps thinking it will happen again and if it does I will not be taking it back to the dealership but trading it in immediately. Hope it does not come to that because it is such a pleasure to drive.
      Last edited by V60P*17; 04-17-2018 at 07:54 AM.

I only skimmed through the thread because I'm a lazy bum but I've had some similar experiences on a 2014 T6, non-polestar regular B6304T4 300 hp though. The transmission is however the same hardware AFAIK and I don't think they're crap at all. In the case of this particular car I don't remember if it slammed into the next gear but it got hung up at the redline and upshifting was definitely delayed. I know it had happened a couple of times before and I don't think sport mode was a factor. I didn't have VIDA at the time but the dealer reset adaptions and that was that.

Overall, if you have this transmission and you're getting weird shifts with no apparent pattern to their manifestation then I think it's a fair bet to start with having the adaptions reset. Extra easy since it's something you can do at home if you have VIDA and a DICE adapter.
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

Schmoyoho, your transmission is not the same as the 8 speed from The drive e versions from 2017. I lost count from how many times my gear adaptations have been reset. I understand you have not read all the previous posts, and why would you if it was not applicable to your car. A good read before bed though if you’re sick of counting sheep. I wish this did not happen to me either.

If my car only got hung up on redline, then I would have been very happy and just lived with it perhaps. But when it feels like someone left me a 1 litre engine, gave it the response of a Prius at low rpm and then felt like the diff was left behind on each shift.... well then, I got the feeling that this was not ‘normal’

Other than this, it is a great car.....when it works. I sometimes feel like this car is so overly complicated. Emission compliance would probably need a another thread.

If the whole supercharger/turbocharger setup was so great then a lot of manufactures would be using it, despite a few having tried it.

Given that the car was meant to be my daily driver I just couldn't deal with the car sitting out of commission at the dealer waiting for a fix. I wish the car wouldn't have had the issues - But ultimately i'm happy with my 'downgrade' to the Focus RS.

I'm fine with the twincharged idea - The issue is that the car being a Drive-E Volvo means troubleshooting the problem yourself is basically not possible. While I fully expect to have problems with the RS.. Everything is so open and so well documented that there isn't as much downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by mchart View Post
      Given that the car was meant to be my daily driver I just couldn't deal with the car sitting out of commission at the dealer waiting for a fix. I wish the car wouldn't have had the issues - But ultimately i'm happy with my 'downgrade' to the Focus RS.

I was thinking you bought an Audi rs3?
      Current: 2017 V60 Polestar, 2019 XC90 T6 R-design, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Previous: 2005 S60R, VW Jetta 1.8T, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by V60P*17 View Post
      Schmoyoho, your transmission is not the same as the 8 speed from The drive e versions from 2017.
      Oops, I somehow already decided I thought I was reading about the 6-speed before writing that.
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

Great news the car has been running perfect, despite my many tests, over 400km of spirited driving.

If anyone has lost supercharger whine/low rpm response and experiences turbo lag, it may help to get the dealer looking at the supercharger inlet hose which was loose and not attached correctly. Hope it saves someone else the headache and lost hours going back and forth to the dealership.

Great news the car has been running perfect, despite my many tests, over 400km of spirited driving.

If anyone has lost supercharger whine/low rpm response and experiences turbo lag, it may help to get the dealer looking at the supercharger inlet hose which was loose and not attached correctly. Hope it saves someone else the headache and lost hours going back and forth to the dealership.
      Current: 2017 V60 Polestar, 2019 XC90 T6 R-design, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Previous: 2005 S60R, VW Jetta 1.8T, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla

Update on my Polestar.... just got it back from the dealer after being in there for another week. They found a inlet hose on the supercharger only slid over the supercharger by about a third of what it should be and not secured. This resulted in the motor having to be dropped and reattached, due to the awkward position. The hose is apparently short, in a tight space and not much additional slack. Sounds like it could be design fault related due to the smaller bay compared to the XC90. My opinion only.

This resulted in the supercharger gulping excess air, under certain environmental conditions, which affected the boost of the supercharger. This then dropped the supercharger out via the bypass valve, which tied into the fault code I mentioned above and left me with a turbo only engaged, with masssive lag.

I have Given it a 100km drive today and can’t fault it. It actually feels like it pulls harder than on any best day previously, when not faulting.

I am really hoping this is fixed permanently as I really want to like the car. Will give another update in a weeks time, as I know that it would have normally faulted many times over during this period. Fingers crossed....

That's really interesting. I believe my car still shows some supercharger whine, but below ~3300rpm it's in no way as powerful as I'd expect it to be.
      I'll now have my dealer check the supercharger piping!

There are a currently 5 or 6 Polestars of MY17 in China (all members of the Chinese Polestar club) which exhibit the same symptoms as initially described (gearbox not shifting at around 6500rpm while engine starts stuttering etc.).
      These cars seem to do it very frequently while mine only did it twice.
      They have been told by a Polestar APAC representative that this is suspected to be a gearbox software issue which is being worked on in terms of a new software version.

Let's see... maybe we should all have our supercharger hoses checked, just to be sure!

Update on my Polestar.... just got it back from the dealer after being in there for another week. They found a inlet hose on the supercharger only slid over the supercharger by about a third of what it should be and not secured. This resulted in the motor having to be dropped and reattached, due to the awkward position. The hose is apparently short, in a tight space and not much additional slack. Sounds like it could be design fault related due to the smaller bay compared to the XC90. My opinion only.

This resulted in the supercharger gulping excess air, under certain environmental conditions, which affected the boost of the supercharger. This then dropped the supercharger out via the bypass valve, which tied into the fault code I mentioned above and left me with a turbo only engaged, with masssive lag.
      What supercharger hose are you referring to, exactly?

I found out something interesting while evaluating transmission oil flushing options. There's a part which I believe is a resonator (part number 31439498, see object #25 at https://usparts.volvocars.com/a/Volv...GR-408220.html) which is a bit loose on my car (V60 P* MY18) and makes some noise when moving:

On the car of a friend (S60 P* MY17) that part has NO movement at all:

Last edited by tungsten; 05-25-2018 at 09:22 AM.

I was experiencing irregular and erratic shifting of the transmission on my 2017 S60 Polestar. I made an appointment at my dealer. They ran a diagnostic and said no codes came up. They installed a TCM software upgrade and reset the ECU. I must say, much to my delight (and surprise) it is shifting smoother! I've already logged 300 miles since the service was done. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this fix is permanent!
      Rebel Yell • 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar • Rebel Blue The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Confederate soldiers used the yell during charges to intimidate the enemy.

Angry Same problem in the UK What are Polestar / Volvo Doing?

Hi there from a UK owner, I have a 2017 V60 Polestar approx 6,000 on the clock.

I have the same problem with the new 8 speed transmission in the 2ltr/Supercharger/Turbo V60

I have an intermittent problem that appears to be primarily in Sport mode (gear shift over to the left) mainly when using kick-down for overtaking – the response will be stalled and as the revs get high the car Slams itself into gear really violently (whole car shook) and would also stutter at the point of a gear change losing power drastically and then suddenly pick up and slam itself into gear?

I have also noticed a delay in pickup from standstill, in other words you press the accelerator and nothing happens instantly the delay is between 1-2 sec and then it’s as if the car is winding itself up to full power.

As said this problem is intermittent, its happened 5 times to me now. Leave the car overnight and everything is back to normal the following day!

When the problem occurs no warning messages are displayed, which I find really surprising!

A main Volvo dealership has had the car for 2 days and could find no error codes and absolutely nothing wrong on the test drive.
      At a loss what to do next?

Here are some recordings if the problem!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOn73iCMTtY
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5M8nXr_EmY
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcgDssWOwCk
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS0j2zPcCM8
      Last edited by richard day; 07-05-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richard day View Post
      Hi there from a UK owner, I have a 2017 V60 Polestar approx 6,000 on the clock.

I have the same problem with the new 8 speed transmission in the 2ltr/Supercharger/Turbo V60

I have an intermittent problem that appears to be primarily in Sport mode (gear shift over to the left) mainly when using kick-down for overtaking – the response will be stalled and as the revs get high the car Slams itself into gear really violently (whole car shook) and would also stutter at the point of a gear change losing power drastically and then suddenly pick up and slam itself into gear?

I have also noticed a delay in pickup from standstill, in other words you press the accelerator and nothing happens instantly the delay is between 1-2 sec and then it’s as if the car is winding itself up to full power.

As said this problem is intermittent, its happened 5 times to me now. Leave the car overnight and everything is back to normal the following day!

When the problem occurs no warning messages are displayed, which I find really surprising!

A main Volvo dealership has had the car for 2 days and could find no error codes and absolutely nothing wrong on the test drive.
      At a loss what to do next?
      As per my post above, have they installed the latest TCM software upgrade and reset the ECU?
      Rebel Yell • 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar • Rebel Blue The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Confederate soldiers used the yell during charges to intimidate the enemy.

Many thanks , its in with the dealership at the moment will ask them for the TCm Software upgrade and the reset. Will let you know the outcome.

Many thanks , its in with the dealership at the moment will ask them for the TCm Software upgrade and the reset. Will let you know the outcome.
      Good luck! Keep us posted!

unfortunatly still faulty, will be sending it back to the dealership yet again!
      Still managed to get some video of the fault hopfully it may be helpfull to someone!

unfortunatly still faulty, will be sending it back to the dealership yet again!
      Still managed to get some video of the fault hopfully it may be helpfull to someone!

I would absolutely not tolerate that. Jesus Christ that’s awful

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
      2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- ——> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us——-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

The "fault kickdown" videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcgDssWOwCk and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS0j2zPcCM8) show exactly what I'm experiencing from time to time and also what the other affected ones in the Polestar Owners group are experiencing, I believe.
      It keeps being reproducible in every kickdown until you put the engine in a new driving cycle (turn off, then on again).
      Last edited by tungsten; 07-06-2018 at 05:11 AM.

Yep.. It's why I sold the car. I just couldn't tolerate it and my dealer didn't figure it out either.

The fact that it goes away after restarting the car is unfortunate because when you bring the car into the dealer they don't show any relevant codes being tripped and stored in memory which makes troubleshooting difficult.

I suspect it's either one of two things - Either a piece related to the supercharger/bypass is failing mechanically enough that the ECU stops using the supercharger, and/or it's just a tuning glitch.

I personally didn't have the transmission issue that the video shows, although living in Hawaii means that I never really got up to speeds like that. I've tuned automatic transmissions on GM cars before and I will say that the rough shift issue that comes with the supercharger failing issue is likely due to the computer seeing certain numbers that cause the TCM to shift in a way that it shouldn't be. If you fix the torque fill/lack of supercharger issue the transmission shifting issue will likely be fixed with it.

Good luck to those sticking with their cars, given our low production numbers and the crap communication between Volvo and Polestar I don't know that a fix will ever come.
      Last edited by mchart; 07-05-2018 at 06:44 PM.

That's a damn shame!!!
      2015.5 #39 BSM V60 Polestar arrived 11-24-2014
      2004 V70R GT: SOLD Silver+Nordkap, Premium Sound+Subwoofer, Motorola BT, iMIV, IPD Stage II - DP - HDTCV, Kelly CAI, BMC, 10MM Spacers, Volvo DEM heat shield, '06 V70R console

The issue is reportedly fixed with a recent update that is provided through the Volvo Service 2.0 vehicle update package. Several members of the Polestar Owners Facebook group reported that there have been no hard shifts after their car had the Volvo Service 2.0 updates applied.

Received this software upgrade a few days ago and the "Hard Shift" scenario has been resolved. General shift point/logic and trans. operation also seem a bit more refined.
      Current Stable:
      2020 - Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered (On Order 4/16/2019)
      2019 - Volvo XC90 Inscription
      2016 - Volvo XC90 T5 R-Design
      2018 - Volvo V60 Polestar
      1996 - Volvo 850R Estate
      1983 - Volvo 242 Turbo Coupe (For Sale)

Eurocompulsion
      Facebook: Eurocompulsion
      Instagram: Eurocompulsion

Any of you gents from the UK? Is it a case of booking the car in with the dealer and it's a drive in drive out job?

Thanks

I have the same problem on my S60 Polestar 2017, will be going to my dealership this week and hope to get the updated software.
      Anyone here from Europe or Sweden and have got the update from Volvo? And does anyone have the "Part No" for the update?
      Last edited by Dynamics; 12-29-2019 at 02:31 PM.

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2