Rotors that don?t warp?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rotors that don’t warp?

Anyone have any good luck with rotors not warping? I have gone through two sets of Volvo oems, which warped relatively quickly.

Looking at the Meyles and Zimmerman’s. Has anyone tried these? (Interested in brake pad recommendations too). Just had akebonos and was not very impressed with the amount of brake dust produced.
      2009 S40 T5 RDesign
      Brilliant Blue Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      I had Zimmermans on the front of my last car. They worked well. Only drove with them for about 10k miles before someone totalled the car, but they held up to some hard braking (Street driving only) with no signs of warping.

Current car has Volvo rotors (age unknown) which seem to not get quite as rusty on the braking surface on rainy days as the Zimmermans, but feel as though they may be ever so slightly warped.
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

I did powerstop drilled and slotted. $50-$60 per on Rockauto. Haven't warped on me yet and are zinc coated so far no issues with rust.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have used Zimmerman, Brembo and Powerstop Slotted. All performed very well without warping. The Zimmerman with the zinc coating works well to keep the rotors looking fresh. The Powerstop slots worked very well with Hawk HPS, having great stopping power hot or cold. The slots do make a little whirring noise when coming to a stop. I believe this is typical.

Flat discs with Hawk HPS are ok when cold but the pads perform much better when warmed up. Very little dust.
      Stoptec Street Performance pads performed great at any temperature with flat rotors but were incredibly dusty. I think they reformulated since then.
      My present V50 has Volvo rotors and Volvo pads. Performance is very good and very little dust.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

My Volvo rotors warped after 20k km will be swapping them out with something in the spring. Volvo pads were great new but they kinda have some sponge to them now but it could be slop caused by the warped rotor(s).
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

I’m a fan of brakeperformance.com slotted and dimpled. We had a VW Croutan that are notoriously under braked (size) and put them on that. Had zero issues in about 30k miles. I also have them on my S80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

I'm currently running R1 concepts drilled and slotted front and rear with powerstop pads and no problems so far. I will suggest checking the caliper(s) to make sure nothing is sticking and everything is in good working order.
      Also hub to rotor mating surfaces should be cleaned up good as well. In my experience warping rotors are usually the result of another issue not the rotors themselves.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD Black(The Wifes)
      2002 V70XC Dark Blue(Mine)

Quote Originally Posted by alter_ego85 View Post
      In my experience warping rotors are usually the result of another issue not the rotors themselves.
      x2

fwiw; I came over from the Land Cruiser world, the 80' series wagon seemed to have a lot of reported rotor warpage, even with new installs, and what the general consensus came around to was that they often get over torqued when being installed (especially when done by a shop using a pneumatic torque gun's)... Even if the torque gun is set to the proper torque setting, they tend to over-torque.. And many DIY mechanics can easily tackle a brake/rotor job but may not have the proper torque specs so things get over tightened...
      2005 V50 T5 AWD Auto

Has anyone used Adam's rotors ? I believe they have posted on this forum before.
      http://www.adamsrotors.com/

I like how there are so many options. This is probably my next purchase for the car besides new speakers.

I am just unsure of the actual quality.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wernerj18 View Post
      Has anyone used Adam's rotors ? I believe they have posted on this forum before.
      http://www.adamsrotors.com/

I like how there are so many options. This is probably my next purchase for the car besides new speakers.

I am just unsure of the actual quality.

Adams rotors is actually on the forums here. He'll tell you they're top notch, I have no person experience so I don't have much of an opinion on the actual product.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      I did powerstop drilled and slotted. $50-$60 per on Rockauto. Haven't warped on me yet and are zinc coated so far no issues with rust.
      I too went this route - 30k miles and no problems yet. a little surface rust on the rotor hat but eh.

Just to add my 2c - I went for plain, coated Brembos with nothing fancy on them, and paired them with ceramic ATE pads. done 13k miles on them so far, no problems at all, and I do tend to use them heavily with my driving style.
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      ceramic ATE pads
      Ate makes a ceramic pad for the 320mm front brakes? Part number?

Is there a rear pad too?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      Ate makes a ceramic pad for the 320mm front brakes? Part number?

Is there a rear pad too?
      13047072042 for front ones
      Dont know about rear ones, tbh, never investigated as got extreme good deal for rear brembo pads so got those instead. But I *think* I remebmer seeiong ones from the same ceramic line for rear.
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

I used Centrics (I believe they're the high carbon variety, for what it's worth) from Rockauto and Akebono pads all around when I did the brakes on my V50 last year. I haven't had any problems with warping and I have the 320mm fronts.
      1966 220/dormant project
      1984 245 Turbo/105K
      2006 V50 T5M AWD/151K

No one has tried the Meyles?
      2009 S40 T5 RDesign
      Brilliant Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Keely View Post
      No one has tried the Meyles?
      I have a set of the Meyle Platinums on my V50 front and rear. Got 'em on a most excellent sale from FCP Euro and very happy with them.

I have them paired with Akebono ceramic pads f/r, may consider trying the Ate's now that I know about them (but it may be quite a while before the Akebono's wear down!!).

BTW, in my experience our rotors don't warp spontaneously. They warp because apes use pneumatic tools to tighten the wheels. I use a torque wrench on mine, and ESPECIALLY after any time the car comes back from any service at all. Never an issue.
      Last edited by tmtalpey; 02-22-2018 at 10:06 AM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

I've had no issues using Bosch quietcast rotors.
      2005 S40 2.4i

I'm about to order some rotors here soon. Not a necessity right now. But I'm looking for something that will look good while having good performance. I may get these.
      Alright rotors like brembos have the gap in the middle for that extra cooling of the brakes. Which these don't have. Although i don't think I drive to the extent I would need those cooling fins.

Why are they so much more than regular rotors that are what...$60 a piece? Is it because they're solid?

Why are they so much more than regular rotors that are what...$60 a piece? Is it because they're solid?
      Not sure. Those are zinc coated, and slotted and dimpled. Could be why they are more. I think most with add ons are around that price

Rotors that don’t warp?

Brakeperformance.com?

If so they are also garenteed not to warp.

All front rotors for your car will be ventilated type (fins in between). Your rear rotors are probably “solid” (no fins).

I am very happy with their rotors, have them on 3 vehicles. They are noisy though, so be warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvos rock View Post
      Brakeperformance.com?

If so they are also garenteed not to warp.

All front rotors for your car will be ventilated type (fins in between). Your rear rotors are probably “solid” (no fins).

I am very happy with their rotors, have them on 3 vehicles. They are noisy though, so be warned.

Yep! Oh the front will have fins? Cool!

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      Noisy in what way? Squealing? Grinding? Vibration?
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

Just in use, they make noise because of the slots and dimples. I have them paired with Akebono pads. It’s almost growl like when you get on them.

Just in use, they make noise because of the slots and dimples. I have them paired with Akebono pads. It’s almost growl like when you get on them.
      Yep...when you go more than about 50% braking power, they give a little rumble you can hear and feel. Otherwise they're unnoticeable. That being said they have already saved me once where OEM would have put me into the side of someone (the intersection by my neighbourhood has at least 1 accident a week and at least 1 death every 4-6 months because people don't pay attention and tralala their happy asses into the roadway).

Replaced my rotors and pads with Zimmerman rotors and brembo ceramic. Nonstop squeaking since. Anyone else have bad luck with these?
      2009 S40 T5 RDesign
      Brilliant Blue Metallic

Replaced my rotors and pads with Zimmerman rotors and brembo ceramic. Nonstop squeaking since. Anyone else have bad luck with these?
      I would try some Disc Brake Quiet. The squeaking is almost always from the pad vibrating. It just happens to do it at a frequency that you can hear. Applying some of this "pad goo" in between the pad and the caliper/piston usually dampens it sufficiently to eliminate the noise. Some people put it on every time. Personally, I only use it when there is a noise issue.

Passion Red 2006 V50 T5 AWD M66 - Climate, Premium, and Dynamic packages
      Laser Red 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, D2 A8 Brakes Front & Rear

Still getting severe brake squeaking after the application of the anti squeal and after giving the pads some time to wear in.

Also getting a clicking from the caliper and feels like my new rotors are warping again.

Any thoughts? The left side is significantly worse than the right, however the fact that the right does squeak a bit makes me think it is the pads themselves?
      2009 S40 T5 RDesign
      Brilliant Blue Metallic

Still getting severe brake squeaking after the application of the anti squeal and after giving the pads some time to wear in.

Also getting a clicking from the caliper and feels like my new rotors are warping again.

Any thoughts? The left side is significantly worse than the right, however the fact that the right does squeak a bit makes me think it is the pads themselves?
      If you did not bed them in properly, they will squeal no matter what you do. Did you bed them in properly?

If you did not bed them in properly, they will squeal no matter what you do. Did you bed them in properly?
      I didn’t bed them myself so I can only speak for the mechanic who said he did...

Insufficient bedding would not cause the caliper clicking though right?
      2009 S40 T5 RDesign
      Brilliant Blue Metallic

You are using the correct wheel torque spec right? Mechanic torqued my wheels to 100ft.lbs and it seemed to have warped mine. I re-torqued to 81ft.lbs and most of the wobble has gone away. I need new rotors regardless.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

Update - steering wheel and brake pedal shake violently when braking.

Think this is beyond any warping.

What else could cause this?! Getting it looked at ASAP but wanted to hear some thoughts.
      2009 S40 T5 RDesign
      Brilliant Blue Metallic

Could be suspension related. Bad LCA bushings can cause a click or bang when brakes are applied abruptly and can cause shake. Worn tie rod ends can cause shake.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      Could be suspension related. Bad LCA bushings can cause a click or bang when brakes are applied abruptly and can cause shake. Worn tie rod ends can cause shake.
      +1

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast