Rotors that don?t warp? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Did this ever get resolved? my front end has been making all kinds of noises, squealing when braking at about 40%, and a wobble when braking at about 60%. i also feel the car has a staggered motion when applying the brakes during a roll - feels like a bald spot on the rotors where its not catching.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just a suggestion based on my experience with PowerStops. Thought I'd followed proper break-in procedure, but after a few thousand miles they began to vibrate under braking. Pulled front rotors off, gave them a thorough polish with electric drill turning a Scotch-brite disc. Reinstalled, followed break-in steps again: no more vibration.

These 320 drilled-slotted rotors do give a sort of moan when braking hard from speed, but they don't vibrate, and they stop the car very well.

686Sport - still chasing the elusive 50 mph wobble under acceleration
      2008 V50 T5 awd / 2013 GC Overland / 2009 R1200RT / 2000 Tacoma TRD

drilled/slotted rotors DO NOT stop your car faster. in fact, they stop your car slower under 99% of circumstances. there is less brake surface for the pads to contact due to the holes and slots. any feeling you get that your car stops faster is due to the fact that the brakes are new compared to the old ones you replaced or a placebo effect. drilled/slotted rotors only help to stop the car when the brakes are used excessively such as in aggressive driving or on a track. they dissipate heat better than flat rotors, making their performance stay more consistent when they get hot.

'warped' rotors are often misdiagnosed, as 686Sport is eluding to. material build up on the rotors can be uneven due to driving habits or brake caliper wear and can feel just like a wobbly warped rotor.

i really find it hard to believe the volvo rotors are just warping on their own due to bad quality - i'd speculate something else is wrong on the cars (or driver habits) that are showing repetitive vibration symptoms.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Im taking it to brake masters tomorrow for an inspection to see what they say, has anyone ever had their rotor resurfaced? - i dont have a grinder to do it myself but the price seems to be about the same as a new Ebay pair.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

I wouldn't bother with resurfacing. The likely issue isn't warping, it's that the heat has actually created harder/hardened steel in spots and that's what your feeling. Also
      Another factor is lug nut torque. If you're not using a torque wrench to get equal torq they'll warp.
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 a tribute to Heico's ODIN HS4

Oh ~ Ford It ~

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      Im taking it to brake masters tomorrow for an inspection to see what they say, has anyone ever had their rotor resurfaced? - i dont have a grinder to do it myself but the price seems to be about the same as a new Ebay pair.

Volvo got Redesigned by Ford and Ford brakes are built to Light also ..

You could have Brake Pad Build up on Rotor a ( Glazed on Layer )

These thinner Rotors that Ford placed on many of It's Re_Designed models just Heat up quickly and the Air Cooling Isn't ~ Balanced Enough Across Rotor or through the Center section ..
      Hubs are a Bit Light for this HD Duty these Cars see .. ( T.I.R. Run out ) on the Hub could make Rotor be Off by .002 at Outside Edge .. Also ( Don't Know about You but I'm able to Feel .002 ) in Rotor ..
      Then there's Surface to - Hub Interface to Rotor - gets Corroded Way to Fast ( Any Corrosion ) is Build Up - any Build Up is throwing Rotor Off ..

Last but Not Least - this Warp Rotor - thing thing seems to Follow certain Vehicles more then Others , I have tried Soft ware Up dates - that - Supposedly Balanced the ABS & Rear Brake Proportionally to Reduce Warping
      Only Marginally Improvement .. ( I Believe ABS Balancing Module ) Where all the Lines Tie in has Unbalanced Opening in some Units 8K out of set Rotors is Lame ..

Wilwoods helped this some , but After Market Full Floating set up is only Way to Fully get a Handle on Issues at Hand and have Very Good Brakes ..

SS Lines help some also as those Pull back on Pucks more .. Hey Just My 5 Cents ~ Given more then Plug Nickle

Example : Warped Rotors on T-Bird - took 45K Hard Driving
      Warped Rotors on F150 - Never Happened ever .
      Warped Rotors on VW CC Driven Harder then Volvo 65K
      Other Older Volvo's 40K-70K ~ able to Turn those and Go another 30K with New Pads
      Honda Brakes have been so Hot they were Smoking - No Warping ..

Big Difference in Design in all these 1. Thickness in Rotors 2. Hub & Supporting Spindle
      Last edited by EngTech; 03-16-2020 at 07:07 PM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2