All-Season Tires for your S60/V60 R-Design
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

All-Season Tires for your S60/V60 R-Design

Hi all,

New 2017 S60 T6 R-Design owner here. Based on my research, the OEM tire - Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Seasons, do not rate favorably. Has anyone changed to a better all season tire? Preferably, I'm looking for opinions on the best Ultra-High Performance All-Season tire for the car. Tirerack actually has only two Ultra-High Performance All-Seasons that fit the stock 19" wheels on the 2017 S60 R-Design.

Yokohama: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...n&autoModClar=

Goodyear: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...n&autoModClar=

I'd love to get the Michelins or the Continentals on the car, but it doesn't look like those will fit. Anyone have any experience with the 19" R-Design wheels? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Based on your research 96w, I did not foun any winter/all season tires. But if you go to 96v, you will find one for your wish Michelin Primacy MXM4 (one of the best in France)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...nLoadRating=XL
      2016 V60 T5 2.0 FWD Premier Onyx Black Metallic: : BLIS | ERST Intake | IPD Rear Sway Bar | IPD F&R End Links | Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod | RD Suspension | IPD Skid Plate | Volvo Cap Mirror Satin Presentation
      Sold 2008 S40 2.4 FWD - Grey Metallic | K&N Filter | B4 & Koni Suspension

Monthly Seattle, WA: Meet and Greet Topic: HERE

Quote Originally Posted by chseverson View Post
      Hi all,

New 2017 S60 T6 R-Design owner here. Based on my research, the OEM tire - Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Seasons, do not rate favorably. Has anyone changed to a better all season tire? Preferably, I'm looking for opinions on the best Ultra-High Performance All-Season tire for the car. Tirerack actually has only two Ultra-High Performance All-Seasons that fit the stock 19" wheels on the 2017 S60 R-Design.

Yokohama: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...n&autoModClar=

Goodyear: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...n&autoModClar=

I'd love to get the Michelins or the Continentals on the car, but it doesn't look like those will fit. Anyone have any experience with the 19" R-Design wheels? Thanks!
      I had been looking at tires recently out of curiosity if i move on to 2019 s60. Pirelli p7 plus have good consumer reviews (tirerack doesnt have snow rating for), michellin mxm4 (no snow rating yet),given that goodyear f1 seems like best option for wet/dry and snow peformance until those snow ratings are done for other two. Its too bad continental dws aren't offered in '19 at 235/40 those tires ive had good experience with.
      Last edited by Con_The_Don; 02-21-2018 at 07:54 PM.
      2019 Volvo S60 T6 Rdesign AWD with Polestar, Crystal White Pearl, 19' R design wheela
      2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire metallic, Eurosport tuning Stage II, Eurosport air intake filter/downpipe/catback (retired)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I am running Pilot Sport A/S 3+s, one of the best all season tires on the market (arguably the best depending on what you preferences are). I am on 19 inch Polestar rims with 245/40/19 tires. No issues with rubbing. You could also look at the P7+ that I believe some have gone to that is more of a grand touring tire vs performance and supposedly is good for ride an noise.

The 235/40 tires size does not give you a lot of A/S options and I would recommending looking at 245 width tires if possible as it options a lot more.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

+1 on the Michelins. The difference compared to OEM tires in terms of quietness, feeling planted in the corners, and overall stability make them a great choice.
      -2015 V60 R-Design

Cheaper alternative bf Goodrich g-force comp 2as?
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...RCE-COMP-2-A-S
      2001 V70 2.4T.. RIP
      2011 S60 T6 AWD.. just beginning....
      * IPD rear sway bar + links / IPD DEM cover / IPD skid plate
      * 336mm RD Disk/caliper upgrade
      * Hybrid Audio Imagine I61-2 / sound deadening

Quote Originally Posted by harleyvh View Post
      Cheaper alternative bf Goodrich g-force comp 2as?
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...RCE-COMP-2-A-S
      I ran those in my WRX and loved them.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

I'm running 245/40/19 Pirelli Cinturato P7+ (the + is important) and they have been great. Others will second this choice, for sure. Step up to a 245 width for more options - there is no harm in that width.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Although I don't have an R... I run with Mich Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Awesome tires.
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      I'm running 245/40/19 Pirelli Cinturato P7+ (the + is important) and they have been great. Others will second this choice, for sure. Step up to a 245 width for more options - there is no harm in that width.
      +1
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

I also think the mxm4 tires are fantastic. I replaced the OEM Contis with them, and it felt like getting a new car.

I went with the 245 40R18 Conti DSWs for my S60, bumping up from the 235s. I've been very happy with them.
      Caspian Blue Metallic 2011 S60 T6 AWD

I used to run on 245/40R18 tyres before changing back to OEM 235's. Regretted that decision ever since.

My son has the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on his S60-R, and says they're unstoppable in snow, incredible in rain, and fabulous in all other conditions. He has Pilot Super Sports for the summer and Alpin PA4 for the winter on his other cars (BMW M3 and Dinan E46), and is very impressed with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (they are much better than the Conti DSW all-seasons, and transformed the ride and handling of the car).
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Black Sapphire / Climate / Navigation
      IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Front & Rear End-Links, & Skid Plate / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (summer) / Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter)

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all of the feedback. I think the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires are the ones I want the most. I've heard tremendous feedback on these tires in other forums as well. I think my question is not which Ultra-High Performance tire is best, but rather which is the best that will fit on the R-Design. As a reminder, the OEM size is 235/40/19 for the 2017 R-Design with the 19" wheels. Will 245/40/19 size tires fit on the stock 19" wheels? Or would I have to buy new wheels? Thanks again for the feedback!

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all of the feedback. I think the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires are the ones I want the most. I've heard tremendous feedback on these tires in other forums as well. I think my question is not which Ultra-High Performance tire is best, but rather which is the best that will fit on the R-Design. As a reminder, the OEM size is 235/40/19 for the 2017 R-Design with the 19" wheels. Will 245/40/19 size tires fit on the stock 19" wheels? Or would I have to buy new wheels? Thanks again for the feedback!
      245/40/19 will fit 100% without issues. I have this size on my 19" OEM Ixion II wheels.
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

245/40/19 will fit 100% without issues. I have this size on my 19" OEM Ixion II wheels.
      Terrific, that's great news! Are there any pros/cons of having a wider tire than the width of the OEM Pirelli tires? Other than the fact that the Michelin is a better tire, of course. Thanks!

Terrific, that's great news! Are there any pros/cons of having a wider tire than the width of the OEM Pirelli tires? Other than the fact that the Michelin is a better tire, of course. Thanks!
      and preferable to do it this way 235 to 240 or 245. I saw to many guys doing the opposite and having grip issues. Always aim for wider if possible
      2016 V60 T5 2.0 FWD Premier Onyx Black Metallic: : BLIS | ERST Intake | IPD Rear Sway Bar | IPD F&R End Links | Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod | RD Suspension | IPD Skid Plate | Volvo Cap Mirror Satin Presentation
      Sold 2008 S40 2.4 FWD - Grey Metallic | K&N Filter | B4 & Koni Suspension

Monthly Seattle, WA: Meet and Greet Topic: HERE

Quote Originally Posted by msmith View Post
      +1
      +2. We are on our second set and are very happy. The Plus makes a huge difference.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles in 14 states, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2017 Nissan 370z Sport, 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

I ditched the Cinturatos about a year ago for Pirelli P Zero A/S Plus and went up to 245. Great tire, just better all around.

In general

Pros:
      Wider looks cooler! (Jkjk, but true)
      Better grip
      Better handling (depending on car/size change)

Cons:
      Possible rubbing (not on 245/40/19 OEM rims without a drop)
      Possible fuel economy hit
      Possible cost
      Speedo being off

235 to 245 is such a minor change that it isn't super noticable in any particular regard. The speedo is probably the only thing and you can use a number of sites to calculate how far it will be off. Since you are already on 19s it will be almost nothing. I went up from stock 18 size and it is about 5%
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

Thanks for the feedback everyone - much appreciated. So, is the consensus that the 245 width is the best for the R-Design? Any idea why Volvo equips the inferior 235 width tire from the factory? Just fuel economy and cost I'm guessing?

Hi all,

So after quite a bit of research (and signing up for a Consumer Reports membership) I've decided to go with the Michelins. I live in California, so I might see snow once a year driving to Tahoe to ski. If I lived in the Northeast I'd probably go with the Continentals. One final question - Can anyone confirm the best size? 245/40/19 I am seeing in this thread - is that correct? Thanks!

Chris

245/40/19 is what I run!
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

245/40/19 is what I run!
      Seconded! I have had no rubbing issues and you don't sacrifice sidewall like you would with a 245/35/19

Does anyone know anything about the Pirelli Cinturato P1 (not P7) plus? I may be upgrading wheels soon and am looking for a good performing (but not budget-busting) tire. I like the P7+ I run now, but those aren't available in 20".
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

Copy and paste of my input from another thread on the same subject: "If you do decide to stick with an all-season, snow rated tire, I have also had great success with Nitto Motivos. Are they as good as the Michelin's, I can't say. They're a very good, highly rated, well priced, snow rated tire with great tread life."

Just worthy of consideration.

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements