Front coil insulators - used or needed?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 48
    1. #1
      Junior Member atraudes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Sammamish, WA
      Posts
      819

      Front coil insulator - used or needed?

      I discovered a few nights ago that the cheapo strut mount spring seats I put in about a year ago are on their way out, so I'm putting together a shopping cart of parts to replace the front struts entirely. I ran across one part that I don't remember seeing when I swapped out the spring seats: the upper coil insulator, 30666314 (part 24 below).



      I remember the top of the coil seating directly into the spring seat (part 7). Am I mis-remembering? If not, why is it in the Volvo parts diagram? Any other time I might just buy it just in case, but they run $50 each.
      Last edited by atraudes; 02-23-2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Part 23 and 17 are the same part - removing from question
      2004 XC90 T6, 150k miles

      Buy some Volvo parts from my eBay store

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Global Moderator R-Pow3R3d's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      7,539
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

    4. #3
      Member ggleavitt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      2,617
      Was not on either of my cars, original parts when I changed them out.

      Hard to imagine putting something else up under the spring seat interface, would be very interested if anyone has seen this installed on an XC90 and details behind the installation or the car.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Global Moderator R-Pow3R3d's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      7,539
      In that case, this was likely something added after manufacturing to address some complaint with suspension noises.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      545
      Could it have been stuck to the spring seat? Maybe it didn't appear to be a separate part.
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 171,000 miles and counting...

    8. #6
      Member ggleavitt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      2,617
      Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      Could it have been stuck to the spring seat? Maybe it didn't appear to be a separate part.
      John, you're just guessing at this point....
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

    9. #7
      Global Moderator R-Pow3R3d's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      7,539
      Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      John, you're just guessing at this point....
      Aren't we all?
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      545
      Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      John, you're just guessing at this point....
      Is that not allowed?
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 171,000 miles and counting...

    11. #9
      Clearly not in this video around the 10:30 mark. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RSfttvF7L04
      2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

    12. #10
      Junior Member atraudes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Sammamish, WA
      Posts
      819
      lol Looks like one of Mario's brothers went from plumbing to auto repair. That video does make me feel better about what I remember.

      I think R-Pow3R3d's theory that it was added to address noise complaints is the most likely. I ordered the Pro Parts one and will report back on how installation goes.
      2004 XC90 T6, 150k miles

      Buy some Volvo parts from my eBay store

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      545
      Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      Clearly not in this video...
      Can't you see him flip the seat over at 11:05 and check to make sure the other part was inside? It was so important, he did it twice!
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 171,000 miles and counting...

    14. #12
      Member ggleavitt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      2,617
      Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      Can't you see him flip the seat over at 11:05 and check to make sure the other part was inside? It was so important, he did it twice!

      He's checking to see where the spring end part is so when he puts the seat on, it is oriented correctly. If you look closely, both the spring seat and strut bottom plates "key" to the ends of the springs.

      This is a great video on how to do the job, and I learned about pumping the shock manually 4-5 times before installing so that's good to know.

      But the video really does nothing to reveal what that upper insulator thing is in VIDA. Will be very interested to see how it all fits together when atruades gets the part.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

    15. #13
      Member T501's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      5,929
      That insulator also did not come on my '01 T5 but the current parts diagrams show it. I would agree it was most likely to address a complaint and not needed, especially for $50!
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 203K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 200k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      545
      Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      especially for $50!
      The link to FCPEuro is less than $9.00
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 171,000 miles and counting...

    17. #15
      Junior Member atraudes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Sammamish, WA
      Posts
      819
      The OEM part is $50. Which seems steep considering the lower insulator is $10
      2004 XC90 T6, 150k miles

      Buy some Volvo parts from my eBay store

    18. #16
      Junior Member atraudes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Sammamish, WA
      Posts
      819
      Well, fitment mystery solved. The insulator is a mm or two thick and fits over the spring seat like a condom. It's a fairly floppy rubber, not very firm at all. I ended up going with the cheaper Pro Parts.



      2004 XC90 T6, 150k miles

      Buy some Volvo parts from my eBay store

    19. #17
      Interesting. I wonder if it was put in place to stop tearing of the springseat.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

    20. #18
      Junior Member CDN XC90's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      Ottawa, ON, Canada
      Posts
      512
      Going to bump this thread...

      My OE setup that I took out did not have this insulator. I used IPD HD spring seats when I installed my HEICO lowering springs. I found out that my shorter springs came unseated out of the spring seats and were causing a squeak over bumps. This likely occurred as the springs are not tight in the when the suspension is unloaded (on lift). When car is on the ground it's fine, but there was enough movement over numerous trips on the hoist recently for exhaust work that they must have dropped out of the seat.
      I wonder if this isolator might take up a bit of slack to help position the spring?
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Contrast Works Stage 2 tune with Eco Enhance mode, HEICO Bilsteins and springs, IPD Swaybars, strut brace conversion kit, and subframe bushing inserts. Fast FC05 20x8.5 with 255/45/20 Conti DWS06. Falken HS449 235/65/17 winters. JL 500/1 with Pioneer TS-SWX2502 subwoofer under cargo tray. LED low/hi beams, Tuxmats.

    21. #19
      Junior Member CDN XC90's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      Ottawa, ON, Canada
      Posts
      512
      I don't remember putting in the lower isolator when I did my spring swap... so I will plan to pick up both upper and lower isolators.

      Going to try out eEuroparts - they also offer lifetime warranty, so I'm fine to go with cheaper proparts upper insulator there as well.


      Spring Insulator
      SKU: 31200486
      [ eEuroparts for Life ]
      $13.83

      Coil Spring Pad - Front Upper
      SKU: 72436314
      [ eEuroparts for Life ]
      $7.91
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Contrast Works Stage 2 tune with Eco Enhance mode, HEICO Bilsteins and springs, IPD Swaybars, strut brace conversion kit, and subframe bushing inserts. Fast FC05 20x8.5 with 255/45/20 Conti DWS06. Falken HS449 235/65/17 winters. JL 500/1 with Pioneer TS-SWX2502 subwoofer under cargo tray. LED low/hi beams, Tuxmats.

    22. #20
      Junior Member CDN XC90's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      Ottawa, ON, Canada
      Posts
      512
      Added isolators top and bottom today.

      Will try them out tomorrow.

      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Contrast Works Stage 2 tune with Eco Enhance mode, HEICO Bilsteins and springs, IPD Swaybars, strut brace conversion kit, and subframe bushing inserts. Fast FC05 20x8.5 with 255/45/20 Conti DWS06. Falken HS449 235/65/17 winters. JL 500/1 with Pioneer TS-SWX2502 subwoofer under cargo tray. LED low/hi beams, Tuxmats.

    23. #21
      Any more news on this? I am about to replace the struts on my 2006 XC90 and am trying to be sure I have all the parts I need. I have yet to decide if I should get these insulators. Additionally, I am unsure if I'll need #9 from the diagram above ("helper spring" part #31277953). Should I get that one as well? They're also pricey at $30 each.

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Posts
      173
      Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPilot2012 View Post
      Any more news on this? I am about to replace the struts on my 2006 XC90 and am trying to be sure I have all the parts I need. I have yet to decide if I should get these insulators. Additionally, I am unsure if I'll need #9 from the diagram above ("helper spring" part #31277953). Should I get that one as well? They're also pricey at $30 each.
      I haven't installed the top insulators, but here https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/Part...earch=31277953 are cheaper bump stops. Would be a good idea to call to make sure that they have the little "tab wings" on them like the Volvo part. They weren't available when I rebuilt my struts; or I would have ordered them.

      *edit* It's a good idea to buy a couple of these ABS sensor harness brackets to install on the new struts. Often times, they will break when removed from the old ones. P/N 8646203 https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...racket-8646203
      Last edited by wanderdune; 11-18-2019 at 10:52 AM.
      2004 XC90 2.5T FWD + 2006 XC90 2.5T

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPilot2012 View Post
      Any more news on this? I am about to replace the struts on my 2006 XC90 and am trying to be sure I have all the parts I need. I have yet to decide if I should get these insulators. Additionally, I am unsure if I'll need #9 from the diagram above ("helper spring" part #31277953). Should I get that one as well? They're also pricey at $30 each.
      I just did a suspension rebuild on my 2005 XC90 2.5T with 120K.
      If you can wait, then I am doing a DIY and post it.
      I use Bilstein B4 struts, Meyle control arms etc

      Factory setup:
      - TOP of coil spring sits under the seat, which is rubber.
      - BOTTOM of coil spring metal sits directly on perch. No insulator there.

      - However, there were 2 insulators (with perforated holes) in between, around halfway btw top and bottom of the spring.
      I removed these insulators a long time ago. Zero issues.
      My other cars do not have insulators on coil spring. Or you can easily add them later by hand. No tool needed.

    26. #24
      Member Tommm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      Mile High
      Posts
      2,012
      Quote Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
      I just did a suspension rebuild on my 2005 XC90 2.5T with 120K.
      If you can wait, then I am doing a DIY and post it.
      I use Bilstein B4 struts, Meyle control arms etc

      Factory setup:
      - TOP of coil spring sits under the seat, which is rubber.
      - BOTTOM of coil spring metal sits directly on perch. No insulator there.

      - However, there were 2 insulators (with perforated holes) in between, around halfway btw top and bottom of the spring.
      I removed these insulators a long time ago. Zero issues.
      My other cars do not have insulators on coil spring. Or you can easily add them later by hand. No tool needed.
      I put B4s on my s80 V8. One side has the bottom piece/rubber spring seat, and the other doesn't because it slipped out. I have a groan from the side that doesn't have it. Unfortunately the only way to install it is remove the strut. Then I am in for another alignment. I am living with the noise.
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

    27. #25
      Quote Originally Posted by wanderdune View Post
      I haven't installed the top insulators, but here https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/Part...earch=31277953 are cheaper bump stops. Would be a good idea to call to make sure that they have the little "tab wings" on them like the Volvo part. They weren't available when I rebuilt my struts; or I would have ordered them.

      *edit* It's a good idea to buy a couple of these ABS sensor harness brackets to install on the new struts. Often times, they will break when removed from the old ones. P/N 8646203 https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...racket-8646203
      Thanks for sharing the link to the cheaper bump stops. I had searched online and best I could find were the OEM ones that go for about $30. Do you know what function these "bump stops" serve? If it is something critical I might be worried a little about getting the cheaper ProParts Sweden ones. Good tip too with the ABS sensor harness, I might pick up a couple of those as well.

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Posts
      173
      Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPilot2012 View Post
      Thanks for sharing the link to the cheaper bump stops. I had searched online and best I could find were the OEM ones that go for about $30. Do you know what function these "bump stops" serve? If it is something critical I might be worried a little about getting the cheaper ProParts Sweden ones. Good tip too with the ABS sensor harness, I might pick up a couple of those as well.
      If, in an unusual situation, the suspension strut bottoms out; the bump stop cushions and "slows down" the impact. That protects the strut from damage. I don't know if the material matches the Volvo part or even if it approximates it well. ****I did look on the Pro Parts Sweden website and the part looks to be a direct match in terms of form, though, with the tabs and other surface features. For me; will they last 20 years? Maybe not. Will they last long enough? Probably. If the material is similar and seems reasonable quality; I'd personally go with them and spend the extra $50 on something else.

      *edit* I bought the Febi Bilstein (no relation to Bilstein) dust bellows to go with mine and just re-used the original rings that secure the stop to the bellows https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...G36-V3048.aspx I thought the bellows were pretty good quality; actually unbelievably so for the price.
      Last edited by wanderdune; 11-18-2019 at 12:46 PM.
      2004 XC90 2.5T FWD + 2006 XC90 2.5T

    29. #27
      Member Tommm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      Mile High
      Posts
      2,012
      FYI, I read bad reviews of URO parts. My buddy ordered URO say bar bushings for his 968. They came in a URO bag, and had the P logo on the rubber. I bought a strut mount for my S80, I forget the brand but it had the SKF name on it. Cant get more original that that.

      And definitely get the ABS bracket. The ones on the 06 we sold are mounted with zip ties.
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

    30. #28
      Awesome info. I'll give the ProParts Sweden bump stops a try. Also, I am leaning towards getting the insulators for the upper (30666314) and lower (31200486) side of the spring. FCP has the Volvo branded lower for $20 & and upper for $40. Eeuroparts has them for about $6 each (ProParts Sweden). I am pretty sure my XC90 does not have them as is but for $12, why not add them. It sounds like they were introduced to help eliminate extra noise or vibration. Any other thoughts on what I should replace while I'm at it? Here's what I have so far:

      -Sachs struts
      -Lemforder strut mounts (#6 above)
      -Rein spring seats (#7 above)
      -Volvo strut mount cap (#2 above)
      -Febi strut bellow (#11 above)
      -Volvo bump stop support (#12 above)

      To be ordered:
      -ProParts Sweden bump stops (#9 above)
      -ABS sensor harness
      -ProParts Sweden insulators (#23 & #24 above)
      -Lemforder control arm bushings
      -Lemforder ball joints

    31. #29
      Quote Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
      I just did a suspension rebuild on my 2005 XC90 2.5T with 120K.
      If you can wait, then I am doing a DIY and post it.
      I use Bilstein B4 struts, Meyle control arms etc

      Factory setup:
      - TOP of coil spring sits under the seat, which is rubber.
      - BOTTOM of coil spring metal sits directly on perch. No insulator there.

      - However, there were 2 insulators (with perforated holes) in between, around halfway btw top and bottom of the spring.
      I removed these insulators a long time ago. Zero issues.
      My other cars do not have insulators on coil spring. Or you can easily add them later by hand. No tool needed.
      I'd love to see a write up if you make one. Any particular tips? I'll probably start this job shortly after Thanksgiving. I am trying to give myself plenty of time to have it completed for the long drive to CT for Christmas.

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Posts
      173
      Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPilot2012 View Post
      Awesome info. I'll give the ProParts Sweden bump stops a try. Also, I am leaning towards getting the insulators for the upper (30666314) and lower (31200486) side of the spring. FCP has the Volvo branded lower for $20 & and upper for $40. Eeuroparts has them for about $6 each (ProParts Sweden). I am pretty sure my XC90 does not have them as is but for $12, why not add them. It sounds like they were introduced to help eliminate extra noise or vibration. Any other thoughts on what I should replace while I'm at it? Here's what I have so far:

      -Sachs struts
      -Lemforder strut mounts (#6 above)
      -Rein spring seats (#7 above)
      -Volvo strut mount cap (#2 above)
      -Febi strut bellow (#11 above)
      -Volvo bump stop support (#12 above)

      To be ordered:
      -ProParts Sweden bump stops (#9 above)
      -ABS sensor harness
      -ProParts Sweden insulators (#23 & #24 above)
      -Lemforder control arm bushings
      -Lemforder ball joints
      If you get the Sachs struts from FCP, maybe elsewhere too, the lower coil spring insulators (31200486) are going to be included with them. Call and see; but both sets of mine from FCP had them included. Not trying to cause a flare-up in the control arm bushings wars, but you could look into the iPd HD control arms as an option. Here's the argument: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...st-to-try-them
      Need all new hardware with the control arms too, in any case.

      *edit* Here's a thread from when I was doing control arms and ball joints on mine:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...acle-need-help especially post#20 (pics)

      **edit**add #13 and #14 to your list above**

      Here's text from a post of mine in another thread:
      "I installed the Sachs struts. Lemforder (3049801 ) mounts and Rein (CRP-AVQ0129 ) spring seats. I re-used the bump stops which were decent, with new Febi boots and Professional Parts Sweden strut mount washers (I was just looking at RMEuropean and it looks like they have the PPS bump stops (61437953) for about 1/6 the price of the Volvo (31277953) ones- if they would have had those when I did mine; I'd have replaced them). Also used the Volvo 985660 nuts and 982870 lower strut (to knuckle) mounting bolts, which are actually for the xc70 and don't have the bulleted tip; but the thread, etc is the same. The XC90 bolt is the 982869. I was doing 2 XC's at that time and wanted to keep the cost low. Those Bolts are supposed to be replaced. I re-used the 3 flange nuts on top of the mount w/ blue loctite; they still had some grab.

      Important to measure with calipers from the rear of the strut tube to the front of the knuckle on each side before the struts come off. That is to keep the camber alignment on re-install.

      I also installed the Bilstein Touring 24-226776 shocks at the rear; which are good.

      This setup has worked well for me. "
      Last edited by wanderdune; 11-18-2019 at 04:38 PM.
      2004 XC90 2.5T FWD + 2006 XC90 2.5T

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPilot2012 View Post
      I'd love to see a write up if you make one. Any particular tips? I'll probably start this job shortly after Thanksgiving. I am trying to give myself plenty of time to have it completed for the long drive to CT for Christmas.
      Yes,

      - Just completed the front end overhaul.
      - A lot of little things that can be a disaster, a few little things that I learned the hard way.
      - I took a whole bunch of photos, will post them soon.

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      347
      I just did my front suspension overhaul on my 2005 XC90 2.5T with 120K.

      I can confirm that the PN 30666314 (upper insulator as mentioned in the first post) was NOT present in my car from factory.
      I installed new Bilstein strut and Strut Mount and Bearing. Nice and quiet ride.

      I can tell you that the PN 30666314 is an option, and likely unnecessary.

    35. #33
      Quote Originally Posted by wanderdune View Post
      If you get the Sachs struts from FCP, maybe elsewhere too, the lower coil spring insulators (31200486) are going to be included with them. Call and see; but both sets of mine from FCP had them included. Not trying to cause a flare-up in the control arm bushings wars, but you could look into the iPd HD control arms as an option. Here's the argument: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...st-to-try-them
      Need all new hardware with the control arms too, in any case.

      *edit* Here's a thread from when I was doing control arms and ball joints on mine:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...acle-need-help especially post#20 (pics)

      **edit**add #13 and #14 to your list above**

      Here's text from a post of mine in another thread:
      "I installed the Sachs struts. Lemforder (3049801 ) mounts and Rein (CRP-AVQ0129 ) spring seats. I re-used the bump stops which were decent, with new Febi boots and Professional Parts Sweden strut mount washers (I was just looking at RMEuropean and it looks like they have the PPS bump stops (61437953) for about 1/6 the price of the Volvo (31277953) ones- if they would have had those when I did mine; I'd have replaced them). Also used the Volvo 985660 nuts and 982870 lower strut (to knuckle) mounting bolts, which are actually for the xc70 and don't have the bulleted tip; but the thread, etc is the same. The XC90 bolt is the 982869. I was doing 2 XC's at that time and wanted to keep the cost low. Those Bolts are supposed to be replaced. I re-used the 3 flange nuts on top of the mount w/ blue loctite; they still had some grab.

      Important to measure with calipers from the rear of the strut tube to the front of the knuckle on each side before the struts come off. That is to keep the camber alignment on re-install.

      I also installed the Bilstein Touring 24-226776 shocks at the rear; which are good.

      This setup has worked well for me. "

      You're right, the Sachs struts I have did come with the lower coil spring insulator. Thanks for pointing that out. Also, some good info on the IPD control arms, I hadn't heard of them. I read through the forum and it looks like they are still unproven (being so new). They definitely sound good. If they came with a better warranty I'd be a lot more interested. But if I get the whole control arms, I will probably get the Meyle HDs from FCP. At least those have some positive reviews and if they don't work out, I still have the lifetime warranty.

      I'll add the new hardware (bolts/nuts) to my to-buy list.

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      347
      Yes,

      I will write the DIY soon.
      But for the moment, this is my list:

      FCPEuro:
      - Control Arm Meyle ($90). I chose Meyle bc of good review on FCP website and the price is $90 vs $160 for Volvo OEM.
      The Meyle C.A. was made in Turkey, very solid construction. So far so good.

      - Strut: Bilstein B4.
      - Coil Springs: Lesjofors (made in Sweden).
      - Bearing: Corteco (Germany)
      - Strut Seat: Rein (the Volvo log was scratched off).
      - Endlinks: Lemforder.
      - INNER Tie rod: TRW ($20/each).

      RMeuropean:
      - OUTER tier rod: Lemforder.
      - Tie rod Boot (Lemforder).
      - Ball Joints: Lemforder.

    37. #35
      Member Tommm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      Mile High
      Posts
      2,012
      My money is on the Meyle arms not working unless they changed them from a few years ago. I am pretty sure others on this board had issues. with them. Save your old ones, buy the bushings from Tasca and have a shop press them in. Sucks doing the job twice.
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast