Front coil insulators - used or needed? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      My money is on the Meyle arms not working unless they changed them from a few years ago. I am pretty sure others on this board had issues. with them. Save your old ones, buy the bushings from Tasca and have a shop press them in. Sucks doing the job twice.
      Could you link the thread where people have issues with Meyle C.A.?

I read the reviews on FCPEuro on Meyle C.A., and they are all good.
      Actually, replacing the C.A. is not that bad, now I know the trick.
      My 2005 XC90 with 120K, the rear bushing was long gone, cracked.
      So my guess is the factory C.A. is bad around 90K-100K or so.

Anyway, below is the FCPEuro review on Meyle C.A.:
      https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...1005my#reviews

------
      Excerpts from the reviews:

"Jonah
      on Thu, Oct 18 at 12:02AM
      - I can feel the HD
      These are great arms. Have them in for over 60k miles in Pennsylvania and got an alignment after I installed them. The Volvo is still driving straight. The bushings feel heavy duty. Better than I thought.

Adam
      on Mon, Sep 17 at 03:32PM
      - Best quality bang for the buck + better handling
      Bought these for the XC90 because Lemforder stopped making complete arms and the Volvo ones were too expensive. More than 2.5 years of potholes, snow, kids and road trips, they are still going strong. The handling is improved over the original. The control arms currently have over 40k miles. Best quality bang for the buck"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For anyone using the Meyle LCA, please post your mileage when you put them on and please re-post when you replace them so we have a point of reference.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

Late on this, but my guess is the bottom insulator will prevent chipping the coil paint coat - and preserve the coil from rusting. These start rusting from bottom up when the insulator is not present

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPilot2012 View Post
      I'd love to see a write up if you make one. Any particular tips? I'll probably start this job shortly after Thanksgiving. I am trying to give myself plenty of time to have it completed for the long drive to CT for Christmas.
      OK,

Here is the Update...

DIY: Front Suspension Rebuild (2005 XC90 2.5T AWD with 120K)

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...p?f=10&t=91985

Quote Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
      Could you link the thread where people have issues with Meyle C.A.?

I read the reviews on FCPEuro on Meyle C.A., and they are all good.
      Actually, replacing the C.A. is not that bad, now I know the trick.
      My 2005 XC90 with 120K, the rear bushing was long gone, cracked.
      So my guess is the factory C.A. is bad around 90K-100K or so.

Anyway, below is the FCPEuro review on Meyle C.A.:
      https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...1005my#reviews

------
      Excerpts from the reviews:

"Jonah
      on Thu, Oct 18 at 12:02AM
      - I can feel the HD
      These are great arms. Have them in for over 60k miles in Pennsylvania and got an alignment after I installed them. The Volvo is still driving straight. The bushings feel heavy duty. Better than I thought.

Adam
      on Mon, Sep 17 at 03:32PM
      - Best quality bang for the buck + better handling
      Bought these for the XC90 because Lemforder stopped making complete arms and the Volvo ones were too expensive. More than 2.5 years of potholes, snow, kids and road trips, they are still going strong. The handling is improved over the original. The control arms currently have over 40k miles. Best quality bang for the buck"
      From this site. Search is your friend. I bought the arms from Tasca the first time, and had the dealer replace just the bushings the second time.
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

Starting working on the struts this weekend. Finished assembling the first strut and I am not sure if the spring seat is...seated right. The spring end is definitely where it should be, pressed up against the inner stop of the spring seat. However, as the spring wraps around it seems to stick out. Makes the whole spring seat look too crooked. I did use the top (and bottom) insulators, so I wonder if that is messing with the alignment? Or is this normal?

Last edited by FlyingPilot2012; 12-09-2019 at 02:34 AM.
      2000 S80 T6 - 260k Miles
      2006 XC90 - 2.5T 210k Miles
      2008 S40 - 2.4i 140k Miles

2004 XC90 2.5T FWD + 2006 XC90 2.5T

Yeah I was taking a look through those videos last night. Hard to tell. My spring seat seems a bit more angled with the spring sticking out just a little more. I just want to make sure it's right before I proceed. I might end up recompressing the spring and removing the insulator, see if it seats better. Any thoughts?
      2000 S80 T6 - 260k Miles

I dont understand you guys to always reading here how to save how to buy cheaper parts ect?
      We in Europe have very old way to say: "Malo para malo muzike". Translated: Small money small music...
      Buying cheap parts not last long. hahahaha Double job again to change soon.

Sorry no hard feelings my personal opinion but you are in USA or Canada and have at least decent salaries or not?
      How is possible that you are looking to buy for 3 $ cheaper rubber or 10$ when doing such
      a big repairs on your cars? Your money do whatever but what kind of life is this if you are
      looking for every cent to save? Is some local national paranoia? hahaha Awfully.
      Work live spend and enjoy life. Or maybe our Slovenian first Lady ask husband for more tax. This on your account LOL.

I changed all suspension in 2014 and didn't asked how much - put parts on made good work on my
      Xc90 and everyone happy. Tip 100 $ to mechanic in pocket. And I know next time that will be again
      good for both.

here is my repair and rubber strut top mounts. On photos original 2006. Wear at 205.000 km

Changed 80% of all suspension parts from photo.
      Last edited by Hong Kong; 12-09-2019 at 02:40 PM.
      XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 2006 318.600 km
      Proudly GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS and VOR XC90 2.5t Nr. 615 from 1574 Volvo's 31.03.2019 UK
      + 5704 km longest distance traveled to #Volvo600 UK meeting.

Yeah I was taking a look through those videos last night. Hard to tell. My spring seat seems a bit more angled with the spring sticking out just a little more. I just want to make sure it's right before I proceed. I might end up recompressing the spring and removing the insulator, see if it seats better. Any thoughts?
      That photo looked perfect re alignment.

One trick re cross-nut:
      Since it already looks good, place the bearing on top and temporarily install the strut with 2 mounting bolts (don't torque them yet).
      Then jack up the control arm, making sure you place the floor jack in a proper place below the control amr.
      Now you have compressed the spring using the car's weight.

For the cross-nut, I use the a pair of right-angle pliers.
      Once the cross-nut is tightened, installed the top metal plate and the 21-mm nut (or ? 22-mm nut if Bilstein).

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong View Post
      I dont understand you guys to always reading here how to save how to buy cheaper parts ect?
      We in Europe have very old way to say: "Malo para malo muzike". Translated: Small money small music...
      Buying cheap parts not last long. hahahaha Double job again to change soon....
      Hong Kong,

We are not cheap, we just pay the appropriate $ for the appropriate part.
      Example: if strut bearing is $60 for Volvo genuine, but $30 for Corteco/Lemforder, which is as good as Volvo genuine, why pay $60?

This is how I buy parts: I find out which company makes which part and buy from that company.
      Example: if I need thermostat, I buy Wahler, which makes tstat for Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
      That photo looked perfect re alignment.

One trick re cross-nut:
      Since it already looks good, place the bearing on top and temporarily install the strut with 2 mounting bolts (don't torque them yet).
      Then jack up the control arm, making sure you place the floor jack in a proper place below the control amr.
      Now you have compressed the spring using the car's weight.

For the cross-nut, I use the a pair of right-angle pliers.
      Once the cross-nut is tightened, installed the top metal plate and the 21-mm nut (or ? 22-mm nut if Bilstein).
      Thanks, glad it looks aligned. It's been years since I did the struts on my S80 and I couldn't remember what they were supposed to look like all assembled (and my old ones were in bad shape so they made poor examples).

What is the purpose of compressing the spring/strut in the vehicle with the jack? I was able to use a pipe wrench to secure the cross nut while the spring was still compressed with the spring compressors.
      2000 S80 T6 - 260k Miles

Thanks, glad it looks aligned. It's been years since I did the struts on my S80 and I couldn't remember what they were supposed to look like all assembled (and my old ones were in bad shape so they made poor examples).

What is the purpose of compressing the spring/strut in the vehicle with the jack? I was able to use a pipe wrench to secure the cross nut while the spring was still compressed with the spring compressors.
      If you already used the pipe wrench, then it is fine.
      Sometimes the cross nut is a bit loose. So once the strut is in the car and a floor jack is used to compress the spring, it is easier to turn the cross nut.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2