Forgot your password?

Lightbulb Polestar leather key rings

- This post was redacted -

Heyho!

Old versions:

New versions:

Cheers,
      Wolfram
      Last edited by tungsten; 03-09-2018 at 03:07 AM.
      Volvo V60 Polestar MY2018 Cyan Racing Blue

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Are these for sale somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by JO3V60P View Post
      Are these for sale somewhere?
      Maybe here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/bespokekeyr..._pgn=1&_ipg=48

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Anyone interested in these keyrings can send me a PM.

Your key rings are all kinds of awesome!

Anyway, wanted to know if you guys could make a square leather key ring with the new style polestar logo.

You know the one that looks like two boomerangs that are pointing towards each other.

Thanks

Question Looking good

How much are they, and do you ship to the netherlands?

The Polestar keyrings made from blue leather are currently not available for sale as this was a limited quantity group buy.

Any chance you'll do a second run?

I'm looking for one as well. Please lmk if you ever decide to make another run. Thank you.
      2016 V60 Polestar - rebel blue
      2002 Sierra Denali

Count me in if you decide to make them again

Same here

2014 Volvo S60, polestar tune, elevate rear sway bar, polestar endlinks, K&N filter, polestar 370mm brakes, Rdesign shocks, H&R springs, Polestar strut tower brace, Elevate exhaust... downpipe and intercooler to come this spring

Yes, would also be interested

me too

I contacted the English seller on Ebay, he will soon proposed leather with the real blue rebel, he will have to follow that

Count me in for the square blue. Thx
      2018 XC60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension | 21" Wheels | Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
      - This post was redacted -

Heyho!

Old versions:

New versions:

Cheers,
      Wolfram
      Where did you get the carbon fiber key fob cover in the picture?
      2018 Volvo V60 Polestar
      2015 Audi Allroad

I contacted Bruce directly and I was given permission to share this info here on swedespeed:

START

Many thanks for the message and interest in my keyrings, I made those blue keyrings about 18 months ago for a guy in Germany who placed a group order for them. The blue leather used wasn't the best match for the Polestar blue but it was the nearest colour I could find at the time. It turns out the blue colour wasn't very stable so with use and time, the colour started to fade to a pale blue grey. I decided to never make keyrings with this particular leather again because I want my keyrings to last. I've attached an older photo showing a keyring with a tab in the same blue next to a Polestar keyring - the Polestar keyring itself has faded a bit but the blue tab is very faded compared to how it used to be.

I am currently in talks with a leather company to commission some custom leather to the correct shade (Rebel Blue/Polestar Blue) - this will be the same leather as the type I make all my keyrings from so I know the quality will be very high, and if I can get them to match the colour close to the correct blue, then it will be a nice keyring when it is finally made. Unfortunately making these to a colour and quality I'll be happy with seems to be taking a lot of time to sort but I am confident all the work will be worth it in the end.

I received a sample of the blue a few weeks ago (photo of sample attached) but I've been away and also very busy with large orders, so haven't had chance to make a sample keyring yet. Hopefully next week I'll have the sample made and if this works out well, I can then order the leather itself.....and then I can finally start to look at making some super nice quality blue leather keyrings for Polestar owners.

Sorry I can't give you any more info at the moment, but please do check back in with me in a months time, sending me a reminder message - I will hopefully have some better news for you by then.

END

Hope this info helps. I will ping Bruce in a month to see where things are at. I really appreciated his in-depth response.
      2017 Rebel Blue V60 Polestar
      2017 Electric Blue Elantra Sport 6MT w/ Premium pkg
      Previous:
      2008 E63 AMG wagon
      2002 Audi S6 Avant
      2001.5 Audi S4 (stage 2+)
      1994 Acura Integra RS

Nice, thanks for the update and indeed detailed reply from Bruce. Any idea on approximate pricing?
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

I purchased one from Bruce in black. Same square design. Cost shipped to the US was $17.00.

I told him I would buy a blue one when he makes them available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension | 21" Wheels | Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by coachlange View Post
      I purchased one from Bruce in black. Same square design. Cost shipped to the US was $17.00.

I told him I would buy a blue one when he makes them available.

Haha - that's exactly what I said to him as well.

@njdriver - no approximate pricing was called out. We'll have to wait and see.
      Previous:
      2008 E63 AMG wagon
      2002 Audi S6 Avant
      1994 Acura Integra RS

Thanks coach and mightar. ~$17 or so sounds fair to me, but will wait to see when the pricing is known to see if it is around that range.

I’m guessing with the effort he’s having to go thru to get the leather died correctly and the amount of time he’s had to spend, prices will likely be a bit more.

That color looks beautiful mightar. Please keep us posted. I definitely will buy one.
      2002 Sierra Denali

Here's the update from Bruce:

START

I made some test cuts with the sample leather but as soon as I tried to form it (the folded 'tab' that goes around the split ring) the blue colour started to crack and peel.

I tried it with another small piece (I didn't have much sample leather, so had to be careful with how much I used each time) and the results were the same, possibly even worse. I was devestated. I have attached a photo of the sample folded piece to show just how bad the cracking/peeling was. It's like the custom blue colouring wasn't even part of the leather, but a separate 'skin' on top of the leather.

I sent some of the sample pieces back to the leather supplier to show them what had happened. They rang me only this morning to say the sample was just a scrap piece of leather that they dyed simply to show the colour match, they hadn't even used the correct leather that I use for my keyrings and didn't make it to be cut/tested....just to show the colour. I was quite annoyed because I had specifically asked for the sample to be made exactly how I would have a whole hide, so that I could test it out.

They have agreed to make me ANOTHER test piece in the correct leather, with the correct finish and the correct colour & thickness. This will be the third sample now, the very first one was way too thin and only dyed on one side and the second one was the one that peeled flaked. Hopefully when this arrives I will finally have the correct leather to test out? I have been asking all along for this, but I think their is a communication breakdown between whoever reads the emails and whoever makes the samples. The guy I spoke to today said he'd never heard anything about making the leather to the specification I'd requested!

Fingers crossed!!

Having found the sample leather was nowhere near the quality I'd asked for (and expected) I decided to make a prototype keyring with the remaining piece of the sample leather.

I know this is not 'production ready' because, as mentioned, the blue wasn't dyed onto the leather correctly and when I formed the tab for this prototype, it cracked across the fold as I thought it would. BUT....this sample piece will hopefully give an idea of how the finished keyring should look?

One thing that you will notice is that the Polestar is no longer a dark coloured engraving, but a nice bright white colour which exactly represents the badging for the car. I said I wanted to make these as accurate as possible, and this is the result.

The logo is printed, but don't worry, it's a special bonded print from a very, very expensive printer I have purchased (over £40,000 of printer!) which allows to me produce amazing quality permanent images and text onto leather. I can assure you this looks stunning in the flesh and I know from other keyrings I've made (many thousands now) that the print is very, very hard wearing! I'm so impressed with the print quality and durability.

So, once I can get the leather company to make a correct blue which doesn't peel and matches the quality of the leather I already use, I should be able to make Rebel Blue keyrings with the logo in white as per the photos. This is still a waiting game while the leather company actually does what I've been asking for months, but if they get it right then I think it's going to be a very nice keyring. As I've said all along, it's taking me a lot of effort to get this far, but it has to be *right*.

Please let me know what you think?

Kind regards,

Bruce.

END

Personally I think it looks great! It matches the rear P* badge perfectly. I'll let you know as I know more.
      Previous:
      2008 E63 AMG wagon
      2002 Audi S6 Avant
      1994 Acura Integra RS

Wow, I would get one of those! Looks great!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Fantastic. I'd buy a few of them. Thanks for all of the effort.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

I’d be in for a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That looks phenomenal. Please keep everyone posted when these are getting ready for production. I'll definitely take at least one if not two.
      2002 Sierra Denali

definitely would get a couple here!
      2015 Volvo V60 P* #35
      2016 Ducati Monster 1200 R
      2017 Ducati Hypermotard 939

Update from Bruce:

START

Another update for you, but still not good news I'm afraid!

Some sample leather arrived, a decent sized piece this time and it looked promising - there was enough to make more than two prototype keyrings to test it out, probably enough for around eight to ten keyrings, so I got to work on making some more prototypes.

Everything was looking OK until I started to remove the masking and the blue surface just came off the leather, similar to last time. I was really upset. I carried on making a few more just in case it was a tiny bad patch, but it seems to be the whole of the leather is like this.

I decided to finish the prototypes anyway, even though I knew the leather was not going to be stable/suitable. I just wanted to see my new developments as a near finished article, even though I knew the leather was completely wrong.

I've attached some photos of the leather showing how the blue still just peels off. I am very upset right now, I've spent SO long on this, many months and many, many hours of solid work not only in design and prototyping, but countless hours in communication both to the leather company and also speaking to people like yourself. After all this time I really thought it might be ready for production but I feel less confident than ever due to the way the leather just peels.

I cannot understand how it can be so unstable when all the other leather they provide is so good!

I am absolutely devastated to have come this far but still being let down from a third party. Everything on my side of the design and making I am happy with.....which makes it more frustrating that I am being let down on the one thing I thought wouldn't be a problem.

One thing you might like is my little personal addition that I have now revealed. This will allow people to have their exclusive build number engraved on the split ring. Or I can also make a standard engraved split ring for those without build numbers - something like "Polestar Engineered"

Here are some images you may like. Unfortuantely NONE of these are suitable for sale because they are all made from the leather which peels. If you look at the top of each tab you might be able to see the peeling colour? These were the best of the bunch that I made, but in now way good enough to be used. This is what I am finding so hard because I am starting to wonder if the production of a custom colour leather is not possible? The colour is amazing, but the quality of the finish is terrible because it peels so easily.

I really, really hope there is a solution? I don't want to give up on this even though I feel like doing that right now......

I will speak to the leather company again and hope they can reassure me that this is just an issue with the sample leather, but it costs so much to commission a custom colour that I have to know it's going to be right!

I will let you know as soon as I know any more.

Apologies again for the lack of good news, I really am trying my best here for you guys.

Kind regards,

Bruce.

END

I really like the engraved portion of the metal ring - I have suggested that Polestar customers may want to put their registered Polestar certificate number there.
      Previous:
      2008 E63 AMG wagon
      2002 Audi S6 Avant
      1994 Acura Integra RS

The material just looks different and the blue sort of painted on, compared with the ones Wolfram had made in the first post of this thread.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      The material just looks different and the blue sort of painted on, compared with the ones Wolfram had made in the first post of this thread.
      Agreed. The ones Wolfram posted appear to be of noticeably higher quality than the ones just posted for the 2 reasons you mentioned.
      On a postive note, I do like this part though: [Begin quote]"This will allow people to have their exclusive build number engraved on the split ring. Or I can also make a standard engraved split ring for those without build numbers - something like "Polestar Engineered"[End of quote].

Hi there,

I just thought I'd chime in here because I'm the guy who actually makes the keyrings - both the original ones Tungsten/Wolfram initially posted last year and the subsequent ones Mightar/Marcel has been updating you guys with.

Marcel (and a few others) have been in touch with me via eBay over the past few months and I've been trying to keep everyone updated as much as possible, but this has not been a straightforward process, not by a long shot. Literally months of work to get to this stage with many, many hours spent not only testing leather, but also dealing with leather companies and also communicating with people like Marcel and Coachlange etc...I've invested a hell of a lot of time into this and all literally for one specific colour for one specific model of car!

I figured it would be easier to post directly here to save Marcel having to message me and then relay my responses.

First up, the two most recent comments about the quality of the leather being much lower than that used for the original ones.....this is simply not true.

The original leather I used was as close a match as I could get to the Rebel/Polestar blue, but in reality it wasn't really that close a match at all. That in itself wasn't too much of a problem, it was literally the best colour I could source at the time after lots of research. The problems [for me] came when I realised the blue colouring wasn't UV stable and faded pretty quickly. The fairly bright blue looked great when it was new, but after some use and time, it ended up looking pale and nowhere near as nice as when it was originally made. This is not the kind of item I want to sell, I make my keyrings to last and look good for a long, long time.

On top of that, the original blue leather was thinner, in my opinion bordering on flimsy when compared to the other leather I use for my other keyrings. Add to that the surface was a fairly 'open pore' matt finish, it was prone to getting dirty and not at all easy to clean. Just like the colour fade issue, the leather itself was great to look at initially when it was new, but with the fading and propensity to look grubby quickly, it was far from the ideal leather, in hindsight, as a material for something like a keyring.

Like I say, it was the best leather I could source at the time, but to say it was of a much higher quality is completely wrong, I'd say it was a nice leather, but not really suited to a leather used as a keyring that is handled lots, in and out of pockets etc....

With all that in mind, I wanted to find a leather that really would be perfect for these keyrings. I make lots of keyrings (tens of thousands) and I'm always trying to improve upon what I do. I make them for many prestigious companies around the world, all of whom come back to me because of the quality of my work and the fact I care so much about what I do. The leather I mainly use is a very, very high quality full grain vegetable tanned leather around 3mm thick. It's literally perfect for keryrings and I make 95% of my keyrings from this leather in 14 different colours. Mainly black but also white, red, mint, yellow, burgundy etc... This leather is in a different league to the type I used on the original Polestar keyrings and this is a fact, not speculation.

The biggest problem I've faced is finding a colour that is as close to, if not exactly the same as, Rebel/Polestar blue. This is the issue that has caused me many months of work with leather suppliers. I could commission a batch of leather in this colour, but when I say a batch, I'd have to order so much of the stuff for them to consider making a run in a custom colour, I'd be having to find ways to make things out of it for the rest of my life! To find a way of producing the right colour without spending tens of thousands of pounds hasn't been easy.

My main leather supplier is willing to hand dye single skins of natural (full grain veg tanned) leather to a specific colour, which is pretty much perfect, except that the sample pieces I've had over the past six months have all had technical problems with them. The quality of this leather is FAR superior to the leather I used for the original keyrings, but getting the specific colour is what is proving to be the problem.

All the samples I've had so far have had an amazing colour reproduction, in the flesh it looks stunning, and the leather quality is top notch. However, it's the process of dying/colouring the leather that seems to be causing the current issues. I'm currently trying to establish if the process of making the samples is a kind a shortcut process just to show colour accuracy to a client, or if the way they dye them is the same as the way they would dye a whole hide in a custom colour? The most recent photos Mightar posted up are literally from a couple of days ago so I've not had time to get back to the leather company yet. To say I was gutted when making those prototypes only to find the colour peeling would be an understatement. I'm a perfectionist and after having spend SO long getting this far I felt completely devastated to see months of work just going down the pan and all due to factors outside of my control. All my parts of the making I am very happy with and it is so hard to keep pushing forwards only to feel you're right back at the beginning when the colour peels.

Please understand that this is only a tiny, tiny part of what I do. I've never before invested this much time and energy in such a niche design, especially to have spent this much time with zero income from it for something that will probably only sell in handfuls at best. I don't even have a Polestar car, I drive a 1987 Volvo 740 and a 1993 Mercedes 280TE, so this is a massive money loser for me with no real benefit other than the sheer desire not to be beaten and to make a great keyring because that's what I love doing.

I want to make some stunning Polestar keyrings for you guys, I've invested way too much time in this to give up now, but to hear people speculating that the current pieces are of a much lower quality than the original keyrings I made is simply untrue and currently the single driving force in making wonder if I should continue when giving up and stepping away this project. I haven't done this much work since making the ones for Wolfram for it to be a lower quality product, that would be insane! If anyone happens to live near the Brecons in Wales (UK) I'd be more than happy for you to come and see first hand what I do, how high quality my work is and how much better these keyrings are than the ones I made originally. Current peeling issues aside.

One technical issue, which I am working hard to overcome, does not make all my work and development an inferior product. Sorry if I've gone on about that but I'm so passionate about what I do I wanted to set the record straight. Quality is everything to me and it did bother me to see the comments about the originals being higher in quality after the sheer work I've put into this.

I'll leave it to you guys to decide if you want me to continue with this.....I'd appreciate it if you comment either way to continue or walk away. Happy to keep going, but not if my quality is always going to be called into question. Morgan cars, Mountune, Forge Motorsport, Urban Outlaw/Magnus Walker, Twisted Automotive, Bespoke Cars, Caffeine & Machine and many, many other great companies around the world feel my work is good enough for me to keep making products for them, but if a couple of photos on a thread showing a technical issue I'm working hard to address (because transparency is core to what I do) means something is of low quality, I'm probably best to just stop with this.

It's up to you guys now......

In the meantime, here are some photos showing the four designs I'd be offering if you do want me to continue with this - any/all of which could be had with your very own unique build number engraved on the split ring. I've only put 000|1500 on the sample keyrings as an example to show how it would look.

36. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements