SPA XC90 DIY Oil Change with pics - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Results 71 to 91 of 91
    1. #71
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      75
      Good discussion here. I am on the 'follow the factory guidelines' path in general. I'd like to get an opinion and I am also going to run this by the dealership. I bought a 2017 S90 T5 Momentum used. The vehicle had 11,300 miles on it when I purchased it. The original owner had the 10K service performed at 7500 miles by a local dealership here in Raleigh, NC. I have a copy of the service order because it was in the dash at purchase. The car now has 17,500 miles on it and the service indicator light is on (as expected). I'd love to get back onto the '10K/20K/30K' schedule so I am thinking about letting this run until 18,500 miles, then adding another 1000 miles at the 28,500 interval (doing the work at 29,500) then getting back onto the normal demarcations at 40K.

      Like @stick_shift, I plan on having UOA performed and I also use Blackstone labs for UOA on my 2016 GMC Canyon (Duramax Diesel engine). Not because I feel that I 'have to' but more for my own curiosity! BTW @stick_shift - my Canyon had exactly what they talk about with new vehicles showing up higher than normal metal content due to break in wear. It settled out for oil changes 2 & 3 and now after #4 is pretty low. Interval on the Canyon is calculated via driver info computer (% Oil Life) but in general is 7500 miles or so for the way I drive it.

      So - the question here is, "How 'risky' is it, if at all, to slightly extend the service interval (adding another 10% to it)?" I am confident that Volvo has some variability built in, but not sure how much. Plus there is an issue re: extended warranty (I have a 6 year, 100K mile Volvo VIP Platinum Warranty) that requires service 'according to manufacturer recommended intervals'. All this being said, I am pretty comfortable with tacking another 900 - 1000 miles onto the window, but wondering what you guys (and girls?) thoughts may be in this area?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #72
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      711
      Quote Originally Posted by RandyNC View Post
      Good discussion here. I am on the 'follow the factory guidelines' path in general. I'd like to get an opinion and I am also going to run this by the dealership. I bought a 2017 S90 T5 Momentum used. The vehicle had 11,300 miles on it when I purchased it. The original owner had the 10K service performed at 7500 miles by a local dealership here in Raleigh, NC. I have a copy of the service order because it was in the dash at purchase. The car now has 17,500 miles on it and the service indicator light is on (as expected). I'd love to get back onto the '10K/20K/30K' schedule so I am thinking about letting this run until 18,500 miles, then adding another 1000 miles at the 28,500 interval (doing the work at 29,500) then getting back onto the normal demarcations at 40K.

      Like @stick_shift, I plan on having UOA performed and I also use Blackstone labs for UOA on my 2016 GMC Canyon (Duramax Diesel engine). Not because I feel that I 'have to' but more for my own curiosity! BTW @stick_shift - my Canyon had exactly what they talk about with new vehicles showing up higher than normal metal content due to break in wear. It settled out for oil changes 2 & 3 and now after #4 is pretty low. Interval on the Canyon is calculated via driver info computer (% Oil Life) but in general is 7500 miles or so for the way I drive it.

      So - the question here is, "How 'risky' is it, if at all, to slightly extend the service interval (adding another 10% to it)?" I am confident that Volvo has some variability built in, but not sure how much. Plus there is an issue re: extended warranty (I have a 6 year, 100K mile Volvo VIP Platinum Warranty) that requires service 'according to manufacturer recommended intervals'. All this being said, I am pretty comfortable with tacking another 900 - 1000 miles onto the window, but wondering what you guys (and girls?) thoughts may be in this area?
      If I remember correctly, I read it somewhere Volvo (or maybe an individual dealership) will service your Vehicle at 1 to 1.5k miles variation to the 10k, 20k and 30k. So basically 18.5k to 21.5k miles for the 20k miles service and they will service it. You should probably confirm this with your Dealership. It would work nicely in your case if you do a 18.5k service and then a final free one at 29-29.5k.

      As for how risky it is, it really depends on your daily drive. City or Freeway. I have a pure freeway drive for 90-95% of my Odometer reading and I'm sure my Oil is in a much better condition that one who has the same exact miles as me but on city driving. Only you can answer your own question.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    4. #73
      Junior Member drmanny3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Santa Barbara, CA, USA
      Posts
      931
      I changed my own oil at around 3000 miles. I was the first consumer purchaser of the vehicle. I just wanted to do it so I could see how things were put together. Also the car had been manufactured over a year ago, so I did not feel that it was a bad thing to do. I have now put another 4000 miles on the car. The other day I pulled the air cleaner and was pleasantly surprised in how clean it looked. No shadows of dirt, nothing to shake out. So that tells me that the car has not been operating in really dusty areas. All the air that enters the engine comes in via the air cleaner. Other than combustion gases and the impurities that are created via that process, the oil should be in pretty good condition. The oils used today are really engineered for their specific applications. I bet the 2 liter 4 cylinder engine that Volvo uses will easily return 200,000 to 300,000 miles without any problems. I wonder who out there has the highest mileage on their vehicle? I will start a post to see.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #74
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      115
      Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      As promised, here is the UOA. It seems to be well worth it to change it out at 5k or even earlier, especially if you're committed to long term ownership. (Those leasing probably don't care...)

      Stick shift, thanks for posting that. Here is mine. Note that the dealer changed the oil as per Volvo at 10k mile intervals. They forgot to get an oil sampling for me the first two times. But here is the third. It's bothersome to me. First, Blackstone measured the oil to be 5W-20. The dealer wrote Castrol Edge 5W-30. It's no biggie, but for once I'd love for dealers to get this right. Secondly, how do I know if they actually changed the oil? Since I have a lift, I will eventually look under there. I am almost certain that there will be screws missing... <sigh>



      So has anyone else done these oil analysis? It doesn't look like this engine is made for the long haul. So this Volvo engine is both a turbo and supercharged engine + auto start/stop functionality - it's begging to break down. My goal is to catch it before it breaks down outside of warranty. I had a similar issue with a previous car. Upon further research that previous car's engine was prone to piston failure around 150k miles. It didn't stick around with us for us to find out...we traded it in around 40k miles.

      So for those that don't believe the $25 or so cost of an oil analysis is not worth it, this is what an oil analysis led me to find in one of my previous cars. A freakin bolt backed out from INSIDE the engine and was sitting in the oil pan! Granted, this was at around 250k miles. Luckily, further inspection revealed nothing wrong with the engine. The engine was perfect otherwise with the compression being within 4% of each cylinder if my memory serves me correctly!



      It came out of that hole right above the chain.

      Last edited by theclutch; 02-13-2019 at 11:06 PM.

    7. #75
      Junior Member Telephony's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Posts
      45

      Torque Specs

      The oil drain plug torque is 38. Nt-m (28. Lb-ft), the oil filter housing is 25 Nt-m (18.4 lb-ft.) and the oil filter plug is 4 Nt-m (3. Lb-ft)
      2014 Volvo S60 T5 FWD, Passion Red w/ Offblack Leather / Climate Pkg / Premier Plus Trim / Power Foldable Mirrors / Styling Pkg
      OSD Delivery July 1, 2013 - 1,980 miles in 6 countries over 15 days
      2016 Volvo XC90 R-Design, Bursting Blue w/ Charcoal Interior and Nubuck leather Contour seats / Vision Pkg / Convenience Pkg / Front-Rear Heated Seats/ HUD

    8. #76
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      1

      Correct Oil Capacity

      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I've been putting 6.2 quarts in Drive-E engines since they came out and can tell you that is how much they take.
      I know this is an old post but according to Amsoil website, the correct amount of oil including filter is 5.9 Quarts.
      https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-a...rbo/us-volume/

    9. #77
      Junior Member brett_xc90's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Posts
      160
      Quote Originally Posted by speedalot View Post
      I know this is an old post but according to Amsoil website, the correct amount of oil including filter is 5.9 Quarts.
      https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-a...rbo/us-volume/
      They may have made a typo.
      6.2 Quarts is 5.9 Litres

      This is the same error that brought down an early airbus, BTW


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    10. #78
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,884
      Quote Originally Posted by speedalot View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I've been putting 6.2 quarts in Drive-E engines since they came out and can tell you that is how much they take.
      I know this is an old post but according to Amsoil website, the correct amount of oil including filter is 5.9 Quarts.
      https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-a...rbo/us-volume/
      I realize this is old and the poster clearly just signed up for this one post. But I don't get my specs from aftermarket websites.

    11. #79
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      7
      Well done stick_shift!! Nice post! Thanks!

    12. #80
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      Bonney Lake, WA
      Posts
      14
      Thanks for this post, made the oil change so much easier!
      2017 Volvo XC90 R-Type
      2016 Ford F-150 Platinum
      2005 Audi A4 Avant
      1979 Unimog 416 Doka
      1967 Camaro RS/SS

    13. #81
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      111
      Super helpful, right down to the proper filter wrench which I could not find anywhere and Amazon had here with free one day delivery.

      One question - when refilling the oil that opening on top of the engine doesn't accept oil very fast without overflowing, a real pain in the neck. It's got some sort of a sieve in there. Any way to speed that up? I had to dribble it in slowly.

      Mitch

    14. #82
      Junior Member sebynum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      152
      Quote Originally Posted by mvgossman View Post
      Super helpful, right down to the proper filter wrench which I could not find anywhere and Amazon had here with free one day delivery.

      One question - when refilling the oil that opening on top of the engine doesn't accept oil very fast without overflowing, a real pain in the neck. It's got some sort of a sieve in there. Any way to speed that up? I had to dribble it in slowly.

      Mitch
      Ive noticed the same painfull slow bubbling overflowing pour on my 2019 XC90. No issue with my 2016 XC90.

      Hoping someone has a fix


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 R-design T6 | Osmium Grey, Vision, Convenience, Climate + HUD, Air Suspension, B/W, 22"s | DMV (District, Maryland, Virginia)

    15. #83
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,884
      Remove the engine cover and disconnect the breather hose from the oil trap on top of the engine.

    16. #84
      Junior Member sebynum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      152
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Remove the engine cover and disconnect the breather hose from the oil trap on top of the engine.
      Thank you. I will be sure to disconnect the breather hose next time. I had the engine cover off to see wth was going on. Thanks


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 R-design T6 | Osmium Grey, Vision, Convenience, Climate + HUD, Air Suspension, B/W, 22"s | DMV (District, Maryland, Virginia)

    17. #85
      Junior Member sebynum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      152


      I enjoy changing oil.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 R-design T6 | Osmium Grey, Vision, Convenience, Climate + HUD, Air Suspension, B/W, 22"s | DMV (District, Maryland, Virginia)

    18. #86
      Junior Member brett_xc90's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Posts
      160
      Me too


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    19. #87
      Junior Member beers's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Location
      SF Bay Area, U.S.
      Posts
      146
      Me three

      Certainly will use the free scheduled services, but always enjoy doing my own PM (preventative maintenance)
      On order: 2020 S60 Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal, 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

    20. #88
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      119
      IMG_3088.jpg

      oil.jpg

      Those free scheduled oil changes turned out to be a fantastic deal. Quality work right there.

      I should probably replace the drain plug while I'm down here.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by Row57; 06-20-2019 at 04:03 PM.

    21. #89
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,884
      Quote Originally Posted by Row57 View Post
      IMG_3088.jpg

      oil.jpg

      Those free scheduled oil changes turned out to be a fantastic deal. Quality work right there.

      I should probably replace the drain plug while I'm down here.
      Make sure you don't have a leak that has nothing to do with the oil change. Like cam pulley plugs which crack.

    22. #90
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      119
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Make sure you don't have a leak that has nothing to do with the oil change. Like cam pulley plugs which crack.
      Thanks for the tip. It's been cleaned and I'll take a look again in a couple of days. I was thinking that it's from a spill when pouring oil in but that's definitely used oil. I haven't noticed any oil drips on the ground and the oil level sensor keeps reporting the same amount. I did only fill 6 quarts instead of 6.2 and it's still at the full mark so that's an odd one too.

    23. #91
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      119
      Quote Originally Posted by Row57 View Post
      Thanks for the tip. It's been cleaned and I'll take a look again in a couple of days. I was thinking that it's from a spill when pouring oil in but that's definitely used oil. I haven't noticed any oil drips on the ground and the oil level sensor keeps reporting the same amount. I did only fill 6 quarts instead of 6.2 and it's still at the full mark so that's an odd one too.
      Took off the engine cover and more or less confirmed that it was an sloppy fill up. It's in every corner and it'll be a pain to clean. I'll still take a look underneath to see if there are additional leaks as it's a 2016 built just before the summer holidays.


      Last edited by Row57; 06-21-2019 at 12:09 AM.

    24. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3