SPA XC90 DIY Oil Change with pics - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      Same here. Wifey's XC90 is due for the final (free) dealer oil change, after that I'm installing a Fumoto.
      With the shape of the oil pan, I’m guessing we’re going to need the extension piece.
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription with Polestar optimization

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
      Completed the messiest oil change ever. Again, note that the oil shoots out "vs pour out" of the oil pan. More oil comes out of the oil cartridge housing.

Special thanks to stick_shift for doing this thread with pics.

Very sarcastic thanks to the past 3 free oil change dealer techs (could be the same dealer techs) who seemingly used an impact wrench to over tighten the oil filter cartridge housing vs doing the 25 Nm that is written on the freakin cannister! And also a very special thanks for not putting these 2 clips back which cost over $4 EACH. You have once again reconfirmed why I should never go to the dealer to get any of my cars worked on. I.e. - If you can't even do an oil change properly, how can I trust you for anything else?

ha, did first oil change on my own at 40K and couldn't even tell the clips were supposed to be there - already gone along with 1 of the 10 screws! true, remaining 9 hold the cover just fine, but still this is some shoddy dealership work. also could barely get the filter canister out, over tightened for sure!

I posted my oil analysis results in another thread, but will post it here too. Excessive fuel dilution could be a common issue for all unsuspecting T8 owners:

any thoughts/tips on this issue are much appreciated!
      Poverty-spec 2016 XC90 T8 Momentum
      Zero options, $52K out the door brand new

Hmm... the last time I had a "bad" oil report (I get all 8 of our cars analyzed), I ended up dumping the car. This would fit that category for me. I would take a sampling at 5k to see if it would improve. But I've never run a hybrid. Even so, I wouldn't think this was normal. I would run the car hard and hot (to burn any fuel in the oil) before taking another sample. But if the oil level keeps getting higher, time to trade it in...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      Same here. Wifey's XC90 is due for the final (free) dealer oil change, after that I'm installing a Fumoto.
      I was thinking about this Fumoto thing... But since the effective drain hole is smaller than that of the drain plug, I would assume that the oil would STILL shoot out like a water gun... Don't you think?

I was thinking about this Fumoto thing... But since the effective drain hole is smaller than that of the drain plug, I would assume that the oil would STILL shoot out like a water gun... Don't you think?
      You can buy a Fumoto with a nipple that let's you attach a hose to direct flow.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      You can buy a Fumoto with a nipple that let's you attach a hose to direct flow.
      OMG! Ok, I had to look it up! Sold! Here's a link!

http://www.fumotousa.com/results.php...d=XC90+2.0L+L4

Hmm... the last time I had a "bad" oil report (I get all 8 of our cars analyzed), I ended up dumping the car. This would fit that category for me. I would take a sampling at 5k to see if it would improve. But I've never run a hybrid. Even so, I wouldn't think this was normal. I would run the car hard and hot (to burn any fuel in the oil) before taking another sample. But if the oil level keeps getting higher, time to trade it in...
      yeah, I'll do another change just before the warranty runs out later this year and see if results improve. Hard and hot is the way to go for sure, as I think driving a plug-in hybrid essentially amounts to excessive start and stop usage pattern, which is the primary suspect for oil dilution. Fuel is not burning off completely and is seeping through piston rings into the oil I guess? Would asking for a cylinder compression test at the dealership be of any use?

Also a more frequent oil change schedule wouldn't hurt, since diluted oil loses its viscosity quicker. And I'll add some Liqui Moly Cera Tec next time around for just that reason too.
      Poverty-spec 2016 XC90 T8 Momentum
      Zero options, $52K out the door brand new

I had a loaner T8 recently, and I was surprised at how often the ICE/battery start/stop was activating. Especially when the air temperatures were 110+ degrees, and 170+ degrees on the asphalt. This did not settle well with me whatsoever.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4