Summary: Best MPG Strategies on Longer Road Trips with a T8
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 38
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      Portland, OR
      Posts
      86

      Summary: Best MPG Strategies on Longer Road Trips with a T8

      This is from reading various forum posts, and hoping to summarize and get some confirmations.

      1) Think through your complete trip: where do you want to use your limited "20 miles" of electric power and then turn on PURE for those times

      2) When on freeway, switch to ECO mode and "HOLD CHARGE" to preserve your battery for future local driving.

      3) On Freeway, turn off B mode as it will hurt mileage (also don't turn on "CHARGE" for anything but downhill)

      4) On Freeway, going downhill, turn on "CHARGE" mode to gain some "free gravity" power and go back to HOLD at the bottom of the incline

      5) On Freeway, if possible, drive at speed limit; going faster will consume more fuel, which is true for any car, electric or gas

      6) Automated cruise control (and Pilot Assist) may negatively impact mileage, if you can be a better hyper-miler driver than the Volvo

      7) And there are other items, such as minimizing use of car climate extremes (heated seats/steering wheel with coats are more efficient than running the car heater); keep windows closed, minimize weight; no jackrabbit starts, coasting in advance of a slow down, instead using gas to only then use the brake.


      2018 XC60 T8 Inscription | Red Fusion | Vision/Advance/Luxury Seats/Air Suspension + Added in IntelliSafe Assist (after the purchase)

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,444
      These are all good. Just want to say the important things are:
      - Don't drive too fast. Right on speed limit is somehow too low in many areas, 5+limit is better for me. 10+limit is kind of high. 15+limit is too fast.
      - Turn on ACC even you can drive better and use less gas than ACC. ACC is a good safeguard.

      Other than that, just try to keep yourself comfortable. Don't need to stick to ECO climate if cabin doesn't get enough air condition.

      I do have one wish for Volvo. I want a "Preserve Battery" button, that only use ICE to drive, and don't charge battery aggressively by ICE. Let the brake regeneration and excessive power charge battery. Only when battery is almost full then start using battery power.

      To use the two separate Hold and Charge buttons to achieve this, I need to first use Charge, then switch to Hold when battery level is high enough for me. I don't like charge mode because it uses ICE to charge more than I want.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 03-03-2018 at 03:02 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      Portland, OR
      Posts
      86
      In pure highway driving, will there be much of a hit on mileage to use POWER instead of HYBRID?


      2018 XC60 T8 Inscription | Red Fusion | Vision/Advance/Luxury Seats/Air Suspension + Added in IntelliSafe Assist (after the purchase)

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,444
      Quote Originally Posted by Lmccart View Post
      In pure highway driving, will there be much of a hit on mileage to use POWER instead of HYBRID?
      I believe so. Power mode will keep ICE running, which usually provides more than necessary output for highway cruise, and thus keep charging the battery. While a full battery has to be used somehow to be maintained below level 100%. So basically it is a situation that ICE burns fuel to charge battery and battery energy is also used to drive the car together with ICE. We know this is not as efficient as hybrid mode.

      How much hit it is I don't know. Maybe about 10% worse I guess.

      Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    7. #5
      Junior Member PAULGEOR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      DRAMA GREECE
      Posts
      13
      Also I read somewhere if you turn B and charge button you can take very fast 5 klms on the battery,I tried and it works.
      XC60 Τ8 R DESIGN ICE WHITE

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Posts
      22
      My wife and I just went on a road trip from Northern California to Tofino, B.C. in our 2018 XC60 T8 Inscription. The round trip was 2,386 miles. We encountered rain, hail and snow. Temps ranged mostly from the high 20s to high 30s. Freeway speeds were 65 to 75 mph. I stayed in the Hybrid mode unless I encounter snow and/or ice. We did not charge the battery. The average mpg for the entire trip was 27.3 (calculated miles per the vehicle). The mpg exceeded my expectations as did the overall experience with this very capable vehicle. I have a general worry about the long term reliability of a supercharged, turbocharged and electrified 2.0L SUV, but so far, so good.

    9. #7
      Junior Member skibum50's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Northern Kentucky
      Posts
      588
      Thanks, Nord. Based on your description of the conditions, I would call that excellent fuel economy.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      Portland, OR
      Posts
      86
      Quote Originally Posted by Nord View Post
      My wife and I just went on a road trip from Northern California to Tofino, B.C. in our 2018 XC60 T8 Inscription. The round trip was 2,386 miles. We encountered rain, hail and snow. Temps ranged mostly from the high 20s to high 30s. Freeway speeds were 65 to 75 mph. I stayed in the Hybrid mode unless I encounter snow and/or ice. We did not charge the battery. The average mpg for the entire trip was 27.3 (calculated miles per the vehicle). The mpg exceeded my expectations as did the overall experience with this very capable vehicle. I have a general worry about the long term reliability of a supercharged, turbocharged and electrified 2.0L SUV, but so far, so good.
      We just completed a similar round trip from Portland, OR to L.A. and back. Round trip was 1,953. Temp ranges were higher (high 40s to 60s). Freeway speeds where about 5 mph higher than NORD's trip (and that did negatively impact mileage). Trip MPG was 27.6.

      The driving with the comfy seats, massages, Pilot Assist, Spotify, headlights was fantastic, and in fact, we drove back from L.A. to Portland in a one-day 16-hour trip.

      Love this car! Great for road trips.


      2018 XC60 T8 Inscription | Red Fusion | Vision/Advance/Luxury Seats/Air Suspension + Added in IntelliSafe Assist (after the purchase)

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      Portland, OR
      Posts
      86
      I just looked at my gas slips and did the math by hand, which resulted in 28.01 mpg, which is close to the car's stated 27.6.

      Did use cruise control 98% of the trip.

      With slower driving, we might have done much better, but overall I'm pleased with the results.


      2018 XC60 T8 Inscription | Red Fusion | Vision/Advance/Luxury Seats/Air Suspension + Added in IntelliSafe Assist (after the purchase)

    12. #10
      Junior Member batmax's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      39
      Good ideia

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Posts
      63
      I just finished an 800 mile road trip over 3 days almost all on interstates with 65 or 70 speed limit. Used Pilot Assist as much as possible and averaged 27.2 mpg. The car handled beautifully and I enjoyed every minute of the drive.


      Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Posts
      143
      Quote Originally Posted by PAULGEOR View Post
      Also I read somewhere if you turn B and charge button you can take very fast 5 klms on the battery,I tried and it works.
      Care to explain better? I didn't quite understand.

      Thanks.

    15. #13
      Junior Member PAULGEOR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      DRAMA GREECE
      Posts
      13
      Put in your gear selection B and in you main screen CHARGE and you will have quickly 5 klms more in your battery range .
      XC60 Τ8 R DESIGN ICE WHITE

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Posts
      143
      Quote Originally Posted by PAULGEOR View Post
      Put in your gear selection B and in you main screen CHARGE and you will have quickly 5 klms more in your battery range .
      Yeah, but then it uses the ICE to charge the battery.

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      203
      How do you “switch to ECO mode”?

    18. #16
      Member lamarguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Austin
      Posts
      1,367
      Quote Originally Posted by glenmick View Post
      How do you “switch to ECO mode”?
      "Pure" drive mode is technically "ECO", but there is no "ECO" drive mode. However, you can create an individual drive mode based on Pure or Hybrid and set climate to ECO. This is what I did.

      On the highway, I noticed ICE stays in the highest possible gear when cruise control is enabled. So, on the highway, try to:

      1) Maximize use of cruise control.
      2) Create an individual drive mode with climate set to ECO.
      3) Avoid using the ICE "Charge" feature unless you're planning to do heavy city driving before your next opportunity to charge from the grid.

      Like others mentioned, you can reclaim a decent amount of regenerative braking energy by selectively using "B" mode, e.g., downhill or slowing to a distant red light.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      San Clemente CA
      Posts
      32
      How many miles are you folks getting on these (tiny) tanks? The mileage is spectacular, frankly, given the weight of the vehicle

    20. #18
      Member lamarguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Austin
      Posts
      1,367
      On my recent OSD trip, I ran exclusively in POWER + CHARGE (highway) and PURE (city traffic) modes and drove a total of 302 miles (without charging from the grid). I had exactly 1/8th of a tank remaining, so I used approximately 11.55 gallons (~26 MPG). That equates to ~340 miles of range.

      Note - I purposefully ran in POWER + CHARGE mode to (1) break-in ICE, (2) avoid idling ICE in heavy traffic, and (3) keep the battery charged because I couldn't charge from the grid in Sweden. I anticipate better mileage not running in POWER + CHARGE mode on the highway.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

    21. #19
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,444
      Did a 210miles trip today, I am running eco mode with lower suspension, mostly around 70mph, hold battery level, only a few miles available from start already. about 28-29mpg. Used 4kwh, generated 3.7kwh. 67F outside so no a/c is needed. Probably it is the best number I can get. Very nice for such heavy car.

      PA is actually quite nice on interstate highway as long as lane mark is reasonably good. Just need to help it on mild to hard curves. Tried water bottle trick and it works for a few minutes and still get warning. Anyhow I just need to rest my hand at the bottom of steering, quite relaxed. No sour shoulder or arm after long trip like in other cars.

      Rolling, Fusion Red XC60 T8
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 05-13-2018 at 03:58 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    22. #20
      Junior Member skibum50's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Northern Kentucky
      Posts
      588
      Did my first long trip today, about 600 miles. Overall was about 27.5 mpg, which was better than my last car, a Honda CR-V, despite being about 1,500 pounds heavier. I seriously love this car!
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Posts
      4
      Hi - would love some advice on this topic.

      I am considering T8 vs T6. One of the things I read somewhere was that the T8, due to the weight of the vehicle, actually gets worse MPG when you are on trips longer than the battery range (assuming you are staying in Hybrid, and not specifically focusing on limiting speed, acceleration, etc).

      Can anyone guide me on what I should expect if I want to drive normally (enjoy the T8 acceleration!) and not worry about switching modes, using my brakes to regenerate, etc...

    24. #22
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,444
      Quote Originally Posted by WPJoe View Post
      Hi - would love some advice on this topic.

      I am considering T8 vs T6. One of the things I read somewhere was that the T8, due to the weight of the vehicle, actually gets worse MPG when you are on trips longer than the battery range (assuming you are staying in Hybrid, and not specifically focusing on limiting speed, acceleration, etc).

      Can anyone guide me on what I should expect if I want to drive normally (enjoy the T8 acceleration!) and not worry about switching modes, using my brakes to regenerate, etc...
      You don't need to worry about brake generation at all. It happens automatically.
      Drive normally by default is in hybrid mode, acceleration is good and you don't need to change anything. If you want the super powerful acceleration every time, you need to switch to Power mode after you start the car. T8 mpg is much better than T6 on city street. A little less on freeway but not significant, such as 28 vs 30. Nothing to worry about.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    25. #23
      Member lamarguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Austin
      Posts
      1,367
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      [T8] is a little less on freeway but not significant, such as 28 vs 30. Nothing to worry about.
      On a perfect highway drive (zero traffic), I agree because of the weight penalty (~400lbs).

      However, on a typical highway drive with intermittent slowing down and speeding up, the reclaimed energy more than offsets the weight penalty. You'll see a small increase in T8 highway fuel economy over the T6 in normal highway traffic and a significant increase in heavier highway traffic.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Posts
      15
      I've just ordered a T8 for OSD pick up in June. For those of us who are uninitiated, what does the B in B mode stand for?

    27. #25
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,444
      Quote Originally Posted by mainergirl View Post
      I've just ordered a T8 for OSD pick up in June. For those of us who are uninitiated, what does the B in B mode stand for?
      B means more braking when you lift foot from gas pedal. It is like lower gear 1 or 2 on ICE cars. Just that braking is done by regenerative e-motor, not ICE engine brake.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    28. #26
      Junior Member skibum50's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Northern Kentucky
      Posts
      588
      From the Volvo website:

      With your T8, you have the ability to drive in "D" gear or "B" gear. When you drive in the traditional Drive gear your vehicle works as it would with a traditional engine and only regenerates battery power when applying the brakes. When you drive your T8 in Braking or "B" gear, this harnesses the power of the engine braking (when the engine slows its speed without pressing the brake) which allows the battery to feed off of the extra energy produced when you take your foot off the brake. The most energy is recaptured when you are coasting downhill but you can drive in this mode anytime you drive your T8 to help regenerate your hybrid battery.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Posts
      34
      everyone's economy are closely matching to the website's information.

      https://imgur.com/hbDQT0l

    30. #28
      Member lamarguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Austin
      Posts
      1,367
      Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
      everyone's economy are closely matching to the website's information.

      https://imgur.com/hbDQT0l
      Ha, no. Better on the highway and double the city numbers.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

    31. #29
      Junior Member Catfiend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Olympic Peninsula
      Posts
      141
      Does using the car's navigation system + hybrid mode help with efficiency in the Volvo? I remember reading of some car which uses information about the route (traffic, topography, etc) to determine when to use the battery power.

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      So Cal, USA
      Posts
      269
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      Does using the car's navigation system + hybrid mode help with efficiency in the Volvo? I remember reading of some car which uses information about the route (traffic, topography, etc) to determine when to use the battery power.
      Yes, setting a destination in a T8 will help as nav will use available info to help optimize use of electric across the trip.
      Bert

      Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      44
      My recommendation is to try to plug 🔌 at every stop (Every 2 hours?), 15min (almost 1kW) will already help.

      The sensus map is useless to plan changing stops (the POI search will even offer Tesla SuC), apps like Plugsurfing, PlugShare or Chargemap allow to filter the proper charging stations.

    34. #32
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,444
      Quote Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
      My recommendation is to try to plug 🔌 at every stop (Every 2 hours?), 15min (almost 1kW) will already help.

      The sensus map is useless to plan changing stops (the POI search will even offer Tesla SuC), apps like Plugsurfing, PlugShare or Chargemap allow to filter the proper charging stations.
      Even you could charge 100 miles (12+ hours total charging time) along your trip, it is still not worthy of the hassle. Only make sense if your hotel or restaurant happen to have charging station.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    35. #33
      Junior Member skibum50's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Northern Kentucky
      Posts
      588
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Even you could charge 100 miles (12+ hours total charging time) along your trip, it is still not worthy of the hassle. Only make sense if your hotel or restaurant happen to have charging station.
      Yes, I agree with this. I only bother to look for a charging station if I'm going to be parked at least a couple of hours, if not longer.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      44
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
      My recommendation is to try to plug 🔌 at every stop (Every 2 hours?), 15min (almost 1kW) will already help.

      The sensus map is useless to plan changing stops (the POI search will even offer Tesla SuC), apps like Plugsurfing, PlugShare or Chargemap allow to filter the proper charging stations.
      Even you could charge 100 miles (12+ hours total charging time) along your trip, it is still not worthy of the hassle. Only make sense if your hotel or restaurant happen to have charging station.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      I fail to see the hassle but we may have a better infrastructure for charging on road trips, over Central Europe.

      It used to be worst with charging operators not sharing their networks via roaming agreements. Every new region and even town, would have a different provider and it took some minutes of reading over activation/payment instructions in different languages; there I agree, that took some serious commitment 😅🤣

      Most of my trips now, plugging is barely a few seconds and the charge can be activated on the way to the restaurant via App.

    37. #35
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,444
      Quote Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
      I fail to see the hassle but we may have a better infrastructure for charging on road trips, over Central Europe.

      It used to be worst with charging operators not sharing their networks via roaming agreements. Every new region and even town, would have a different provider and it took some minutes of reading over activation/payment instructions in different languages; there I agree, that took some serious commitment 😅🤣

      Most of my trips now, plugging is barely a few seconds and the charge can be activated on the way to the restaurant via App.
      Here in US, there is not many charge stations near restaurants. Or they are scattered around the town and need to drive a few miles off freeway.

      Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast