Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade

A man offered me a trade for my '05 6mt magic blue/nordkap with premium/climate and 13k miles for his '99 silver M coupe, loaded, 60k miles plus 10k. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions. Just an inquiry basically.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade (gonelaxin)

he wants to trade you his old worn out sports sedan for your nice new one.

my limited knowledge of the M cars is that once off warranty - you are into bit $$ repairs.

Re: Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade (23109VC)

"M" equates to 1,000 as in everything post warranty costs at least $1,000 minimum to fix.

Part of the attaction of the R from my older 1991 M5 was that I could get back into a warranty again and get a nice upgrade in style.

I miss the raw power, but not the price tag of everything that broke/wore out on it.

My $0.02.

-Ben

-Benster
      Current: 2010 C70 T5, Polestar upgrade;
      Previous Volvos: '04 S60R GT, IPD Stage 1

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade (bcantana)

Quote, originally posted by bcantana »
      "M" equates to 1,000 as in everything post warranty costs at least $1,000 minimum to fix.

This was very (and liteally) true for my MB SLK as well. Caveat emptor.

Global Moderator

Quote, originally posted by gonelaxin »
      A man offered me a trade for my '05 6mt magic blue/nordkap with premium/climate and 13k miles for his '99 silver M coupe, loaded, 60k miles plus 10k. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions. Just an inquiry basically.

Not worth it. You're going down in HP by 60, up in miles by 47k(!), down in doors by 2, and down in practicality (not much room, only 2 seats, can't drive in winter). Plus the car is not a mainstream car, so the market is limited.

But, if that's what you're after, they are fairly rare.

Modified by needsdecaf at 11:30 AM 3-1-2006

Re: Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade (needsdecaf)

Not as rare as the R. Keep the R, put a few mods in there, plus your car is still under warranty. Did you ask the guy if his engine has blown???

Re: Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade (needsdecaf)

that BMW coupe is a lemon, don't buy it. a friend of mine always had problems with it and she sold it recently.

it's also made in USA

If you wanted to make that trade, it would seem that the difference in price would be greater than 10 grand.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Hold on. Is it an M3 Coupe or an M Coupe?

Assuming its an M Coupe, it's a '99 so it's got the S52 (240hp) engine instead of the '01+ S54 (315hp) variant. You can't go by KBB or anyone else on retail figures since finding the right Coupe can be difficult and people are actually willing to pay something for these cars. They do hold their value VERY well (better than an M3). And since they weren't a high volume car (like the M3) finding one on a dealer lot will be tough. Your car plus $10K...hmmmm.

The market on a '99 could range as much as $19-25K depending upon condition, color combo, etc. IMHO, Silver is boring and I'm assuming the interior is Black/Black. If it was a Dakar or Estoril exterior, it might be more appealing to me...but this isn't about me. Anyway, figure $20K on the low side plus $10K nets you roughly $30K for (as others put it) a used car.

The real question is, why did you buy a new R if you were remotely interested in something so different? Now, if you couldn't tell, I'm actually a big Coupe fan (shut up, Kelly ), but it's still a car that is 7 yrs old, extremely impractical, doesn't have AWD, is off warranty, etc. It's really hard to compare.

-Eric

Global Moderator

Re: Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade (Sue Esponte)

Echo....echo....echo.....echo....

Not worth it, I was looking at M Coupes online and they were selling for around $25k at the most with the specs you lised. An 05 R with only 13k miles would be worth alot more. That was a dumb offer.

Re: (Heimpel)

Quote, originally posted by Heimpel »
      Not worth it, I was looking at M Coupes online and they were selling for around $25k at the most with the specs you lised. An 05 R with only 13k miles would be worth alot more. That was a dumb offer.

With the $10K cash, it looks about right then. However, I would defintely pass on a higher mileaged M versus a lower mileaged (and warrantied) R.

2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

That was a dumb offer.

Huh? He offered him his M Coupe PLUS $10K. If you're estimating the Coupe's value at 25K then he offered him the equivalent of $35K...which is absolutely a fair offer, IF (and that's a big if) he actually wanted the Coupe in the first place. There's no way he's getting $35K for his R on a trade-in....MAAAAAAAYBE if he found the right buyer who didn't know better on a direct sale...but never on a trade-in.

-Eric

Aking a forum if he should trade is column fodder(this is not a bad thing and many people do it all the time). In other words you want to hear others opinions but have sort of made up your mind and if it sides with your decision will help to justify it. Both are great cars but as mentioned serve completely different purposes and only you can accurately contemplate the better fit for you.

Re: (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
      Huh? He offered him his M Coupe PLUS $10K. If you're estimating the Coupe's value at 25K then he offered him the equivalent of $35K...which is absolutely a fair offer, IF (and that's a big if) he actually wanted the Coupe in the first place. There's no way he's getting $35K for his R on a trade-in....MAAAAAAAYBE if he found the right buyer who didn't know better on a direct sale...but never on a trade-in.

-Eric

And conversely, there's no way that the M will merit $25K on a trade in either. Again....looks to be a fair value trade but not a trade I would recommend.

Re: Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade (petew)

Quote, originally posted by petew »
      no brainer

BMW builds a better car in every way...have you ever driven one?

...and with the extra $10K, you can have all the maint. issues addressed

and enough left over for some nice wheels/tires.

And one heckuva ugly car IMO. It also depends on how much he owes on the R.

It is a fair offer. That's pretty good value retention for the M Coupe- $25 for a seven year old example. I guess it is a specialty car with a certain cult following- I am jealous.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Re: (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »
      And conversely, there's no way that the M will merit $25K on a trade in either.

Agreed. In fact, as I pointed out in an earlier post, the real value of the M Coupe isn't on trade, it's in private sale which is much a better gauge of the market for that car. I'd even hedge a bet that the M Coupe will retain its value better than the R over the coming years.

Whether or not an R is available, the introduction of the new S60 will kill the value of our cars. I would not be surprised to see a next gen S60 T5 (or similar variant) available within the first year or so of production with a 280hp (or more) engine and AWD as an option. The fact that there are so few M Coupes on the road and there is a cult following for them only insures that the car will continue to hold its value longer (at least in private sales). There's no comparison between the size of the following for our R cars and the Coupe. Hell, most R owners don't even know what an R is. 99% of Coupe owners know what they bought. Call it a breadbox, call it fugly or whatever you like. For good or bad, no one will miss the car when it goes down the street (because nothing looks like it) and owners know it.

In the end, it's really tough to compare a brand new car with a used one. There are too many variables: warranty and wear and tear being among the biggest, although I think the biggest variable is probably "obsession".

The priciest feature on a car is the buyer's obsession. If a manufacturer could put a check mark next to "obsession" on its list of standard features, it would easily equate to $$$$.

-Eric

The M coupe is worth about 18 to 20K with those miles, IF PERFECT.
      You can take it from there.
      Sue Esponte is a bit off on the price.
      If you really want it have him give you 15K and the M.
      I agree that they will hold up better in price than the R in the long run.
      If, however, you're going to drive it into the ground and put 100K on it, I then would say no.
      An oddball and rare, but there is a market for them but for C. Sake have it checked out first
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 114K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 150,000 miles and still near perfect!

funny you guys bring this up. I was actually looking at an M coupe as a 3rd car just for fun. The higher hp models.....'01 and up are QUITE fast as they do have the M3 motor in them and weigh less. Change up the exhaust on that car and it will have more hp than a stock M3 and will really be a beast. It would be a great track car too. I think with a modified suspension and better breathing engine it would be an absolute hoot on the track.

Now if it was my only car, it just wouldnt work.

Go drive the car and see if you like it. If it works for you I'd say go for it. If it is a '99, you will always wish it was the 315hp model instead though.

Sorry I must have read over the part about $10k... in that case the deal isnt so bad after all. I really like the M Coupe, I think its a great looking car. I heard it handles amazing but its a tough call.

Re: Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
      The M coupe is worth about 18 to 20K with those miles, IF PERFECT.

Is that your experience in auction or private sales?

You certainly have more experience and insight into the market than I do, so I would absolutely defer to you on the subject, but I routinely see '99-00 models offered between $19K and $25K...although the mileage on the more expensive models is sometimes very low and the color/options are also a key player. I know offering price isn't necessarily an indication of sales price but I've talked to a number of people selling them (I was in the market for one this winter as a 3rd car until my septic decided to die - talk about the [email protected]#$ hitting the fan) and while some people (sellers) are just insane, you'll find a lot of people (buyers) on Roadfly and other boards who did a lot of research before buying.

-Eric

Agreed. In fact, as I pointed out in an earlier post, the real value of the M Coupe isn't on trade, it's in private sale which is much a better gauge of the market for that car. I'd even hedge a bet that the M Coupe will retain its value better than the R over the coming years.

Whether or not an R is available, the introduction of the new S60 will kill the value of our cars. I would not be surprised to see a next gen S60 T5 (or similar variant) available within the first year or so of production with a 280hp (or more) engine and AWD as an option. The fact that there are so few M Coupes on the road and there is a cult following for them only insures that the car will continue to hold its value longer (at least in private sales). There's no comparison between the size of the following for our R cars and the Coupe. Hell, most R owners don't even know what an R is. 99% of Coupe owners know what they bought. Call it a breadbox, call it fugly or whatever you like. For good or bad, no one will miss the car when it goes down the street (because nothing looks like it) and owners know it.

In the end, it's really tough to compare a brand new car with a used one. There are too many variables: warranty and wear and tear being among the biggest, although I think the biggest variable is probably "obsession".

The priciest feature on a car is the buyer's obsession. If a manufacturer could put a check mark next to "obsession" on its list of standard features, it would easily equate to $$$$.

-Eric

Insightful Stuff
      Spot on

Personally I'd be all over the coooup

Re: Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade (petew)

Quote, originally posted by petew »
      no brainer

BMW builds a better car in every way...have you ever driven one?

...and with the extra $10K, you can have all the maint. issues addressed

and enough left over for some nice wheels/tires.

Not if you're buying a U.S. made model. coupe and X5 are the ones you *must* stay away from. I got 3 friends driving X5 and 1 friend driviing M coupe, their cars are in the shop every other week. My mom drives a 2000 323ic 2-door made in Germany - zero issues, and my dad had a 735I some time ago - virtually no issues except some bulb replacement.

c

There haven't been any at the sales in awhile but these prices I put up were Manheim estimates (compiled from prior sales)
      Last fall the selling prices were between 18 to 19K (with 60K miles)
      I think a 6K retail mark up is a stretch here but, hey, they may be worth what you said, I'm only going by what I can dig up but again, these cars have a very limited market, even less than perhaps an R
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 114K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 150,000 miles and still near perfect!

You certainly have more experience and insight into the market than I do, so I would absolutely defer to you on the subject, but I routinely see '99-00 models offered between $19K and $25K...although the mileage on the more expensive models is sometimes very low and the color/options are also a key player. I know offering price isn't necessarily an indication of sales price but I've talked to a number of people selling them (I was in the market for one this winter as a 3rd car until my septic decided to die - talk about the [email protected]#$ hitting the fan) and while some people (sellers) are just insane, you'll find a lot of people (buyers) on Roadfly and other boards who did a lot of research before buying.

-Eric

I just done talking to my friend. she sold her M for 14k. then again, she had about 80k on it.

Re: Need a quick opinion. Someone offered me an interesting trade (stevectsai)

Quote, originally posted by stevectsai »

I just done talking to my friend. she sold her M for 14k. then again, she had about 80k on it.

Rule of thumb, for every 10K miles, take off $1000. That being said it can be more with a specialized car but not 6K for 20,000 miles

http://video.google.com/videop...coupe

im sorry, I had to

Who is "Ghostrider", or what is Ghostrider?

I owned a M Coupe about 5 years ago. I purchased that car in 2001 with less than 1000 miles on it. I paid $33k at the time and that to me was a steal. I have such a passion for that car that I've been looking for another one ever since. But alas, the chance to buy such a rare car, especially one with less than 1000 miles on it is once in a life time.

When it comes to price, you have to ask yourself how much you love the car (or anything else for that matter). Like Sue Esponte said, it is really dependent on the buyer, and also on the condition.

The car does keep its value well and it has a greater following than the actually number of cars in existence. Put it this way, I had the unfortunate event of a car accident 1 year after I purchased the M (it was the number 26 to come off of the production line and 1 of few hardtops, meaning no sunroof), the insurance company paid me about what I paid for on the car initially, $33k a year later.

Now back to the car in question. I wouldn't personally buy it, but only because I am picky as hell when it comes to rare cars. 60,000 miles on it is reasonable for its year, but you should also consider how much you like the car and if you can justify trading in your newer, more practical, lesser mileage car for it based on how much you like the M.

Just a reason to post a picture of mine.

Re: (HJZ)

Wow this topic moved fast. I nixed the '99 M coupe trade. I love my R, I just know I want something a little different, slightly edgier. So I worked out 2 potential trades, straight up, that I am contemplating. One is a 2002 estoril blue M roadster with 40k miles and the CPO warranty. The other was just on a whim, '05 chyrsler crossfire srt-6 with 8k miles. Any opinions on those?

Re: (gonelaxin)

Also all M models from 01 and up come with 7/100k powertrain warranty.

Global Moderator

Re: (gonelaxin)

Quote, originally posted by gonelaxin »
      Wow this topic moved fast. I nixed the '99 M coupe trade. I love my R, I just know I want something a little different, slightly edgier. So I worked out 2 potential trades, straight up, that I am contemplating. One is a 2002 estoril blue M roadster with 40k miles and the CPO warranty. The other was just on a whim, '05 chyrsler crossfire srt-6 with 8k miles. Any opinions on those?

I don't care for the crossfire, honestly...not my cuppa. I balk at the fact that it's the old school SLK underneath the flashy skin.

As for the Z3 Roadster.....eh. They're not that rigid, and the coupe is much more extreme...much better handling too because of the increased ridgidity. The Z3 was somewhat of a poseur's car, and the M was a nice power addition, but remember it had the E30's rear trailing arm suspension and was not that sophisticated. Plus, I don't think it has the Euro engine, does it? Just the 240 HP American M engine....which is nice, don't get me wrong.

If you're looking for something edgy, why not get an Elise / Exige!

Modified by needsdecaf at 5:56 AM 3-2-2006

Lotus are nice and edgy! That gets my vote.

Re: (needsdecaf)

While I'll generally disagree with you on the Z3, only the 1.9 (138hp) could at all be classified as a "poseur" car. Although a 2.0l version was available outside of the U.S., in addition to the M, as of '99 we had a 2.5liter (2.3), 2.5liter, (2.5i), 2.8i, and 3.0i which generated anywhere between "184 and 220" horses. Everyone knew the 2.3's hp ratings were underrated, and it easily pulled 0-60 in 6.5 sec. The rest of the line-up only got faster...right through the S54 equipped ///M which made 315hp....which brings me to my next point.

The U.S. spec '02 M did have the S54 engine that put out 315hp (not 240hp). And, in the real world, performance differences between the S52 (240hp) and S54 engine weren't as drastic as their hp numbers would suggest.

As to the Crossfire, I agree. The interior is a pure old gen SLK rip-off and the exterior does absolutely nothing for me. If you want an SRT, get a 300 (at least that's E class based).

-Eric

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast