05 XC90 Radio doesn't work...help please
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

05 XC90 Radio doesn't work...help please

My wife's xc90 has had intermittent problems with the radio not powering on. Sometimes it would come on after several minutes. Now nothing. It hasn't powered on in about a month.

Here's what I researched, and what I've tried: I've heard that the ICM goes bad, or the cold solders break. My friend builds circuit boards for a living, and he took apart the radio and found nothing wrong.

I checked both fuse boxes (by driver's door and under steering wheel. Both have power. Maybe there's another fuse location too? Can't explain why it needs 2 locations...but why not 3 right?

I dont know why it took so long, probably because I was tired of triggering the srs light from disconnecting the radio, but I seem to have narrowed the problem down...but I'm not experienced at reading diagrams.... The violet wire that goes to the back of the radio does not have power. I think I traced it back to a gray harness that has a pink wire in the other side...also no power there. (Attached picture) It's definitely not the red wire. That feeds the violet/white that brings power to climate control, heated seats, etc.

If I could find out where the pink wire leads, maybe I can find out why there's no power.

Are there any relays that would be between the fuse box and radio?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Have you checked the amplifier under the pass front seat? I'm not sure if it has to function in order for the HU to come on.
      2004 C70 T5 AT vert 77k Black Sapphire
      2004 V70R GT 144K Silver/Nordkap
      2005 S60R M66 151k Passion/Nordkap
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport 215k Passion Red

http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/?...ing%20Diagrams if you know how to read electrical schematics. Includes wire color as well.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 91shelby View Post
      Have you checked the amplifier under the pass front seat? I'm not sure if it has to function in order for the HU to come on.
      I have not. I dont see why...but nothing really surprises me anymore. I will go out and check the power to the amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/?...ing%20Diagrams if you know how to read electrical schematics. Includes wire color as well.
      I've been trying to read schematic for a few days. Shouldn't be that hard looking for where pink goes to violet...but no luck so far.

The violet wire on the ICM (the screen and keyboard) is the extended-D supply (EXT. D) goes to a junction in the loom.

The junction 53/454 joins violet wires that connect to
      MP1 Minidisc changer
      MP2 CD changer
      DPY display
      MMM nav

EXT. D is fed by fuse F5 on the CEM, and switched by a relay on the CEM
      I'd be checking the fuse and the relay if I was you...

Refer page 105 and 108 of the wiring diagram

Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
      The violet wire on the ICM (the screen and keyboard) is the extended-D supply (EXT. D) goes to a junction in the loom.

The junction 53/454 joins violet wires that connect to
      MP1 Minidisc changer
      MP2 CD changer
      DPY display
      MMM nav

EXT. D is fed by fuse F5 on the CEM, and switched by a relay on the CEM
      I'd be checking the fuse and the relay if I was you...

Refer page 105 and 108 of the wiring diagram
      Thanks. I checked fuse f5 before, but I checked again for good measure. It has power.

So I guess I have to find the junction (53/454) where all of those violet wires branched off? Hopefully It's not too hard to find.

Last edited by MAGS98C70; 03-21-2018 at 04:35 PM.

I'm kinda not following the photos, these are not two views of the same connector (6 pins one side, 4 pins the other side), are they?

Gonna stick my neck out a bit and suggest that violet is for switched 12V (key in POS I or II), white/violet is for switched DC return path, red is for constant 12V (regardless as to key position) and brown or black are ground (return) path conductors.

If you can get some additional photos, maybe the wire harness can be traced back but I'm not seeing where these connectors terminate.

Not sure what kind of sound system you have, does the center dash speaker grill have anything written on it? This is a 2005, a large heat sink (amplifier) should bolted to the carpet under the front passenger seat regardless as to sound system.

Were I to hazard a simple guess, you have a bad control (head) unit. Depending on the results of your troubleshooting and the type of sound system you have, replacement cost may be as little as $140 or so (standard/single CD) buying used from a breaker. With what I can see on other posts, if you replace with a "like" unit, no programming is required (you'll want to verify this with someone who's done a swap before you buy).

Good luck with your resolution!
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

Quote Originally Posted by MAGS98C70 View Post
      Thanks. I checked fuse f5 before, but I checked again for good measure. It has power.

So I guess I have to find the junction (53/454) where all of those violet wires branched off? Hopefully It's not too hard to find.
      It is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that a soldered wire junction point inside a loom, nicely protected from weather, vibration and the environment, has failed.

You should focus on first understanding the wiring diagram and then applying sound logic:

Do any of the devices what receive power from fuse F5, work at all?
      What does VIDA say? (invest a small amount of money in VIDA, you'll reap huge rewards by having it)

It is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that a soldered wire junction point inside a loom, nicely protected from weather, vibration and the environment, has failed.

You should focus on first understanding the wiring diagram and then applying sound logic:

Do any of the devices what receive power from fuse F5, work at all?
      What does VIDA say? (invest a small amount of money in VIDA, you'll reap huge rewards by having it)
      None of the devices on f5 work. How do I check the relay on the CEM?

I am working on getting VIDA. I know it would be a huge benefit.

None of the devices on f5 work. How do I check the relay on the CEM?
      If power is on the fuse but not on the output pin of the CEM, then the relay has failled.

Ok. Put on my big boy pants and dove into the under dash compartment.

Pin A:3 does not have power, so I confirmed power in...no power out. Bad relay.

I really can't swing the money to have xemodex fix it (radio isn't as important as my daughter's 1st bday). I would if I could. They did both of my p80s ABS modules.

Fortunately, my friend can do this work in his sleep. He builds scoreboards for darts like the old dartmasters.

Can anyone tell me which relay it is on the board so I can order it?

Can anyone tell me which relay it is on the board so I can order it?
      2 minutes with a multimeter will confirm it for you: measure resistance from pin A:3 to a relay and you can trace it easily.
      Alternatively, use eyes and follow the pcb tracks

2 minutes with a multimeter will confirm it for you: measure resistance from pin A:3 to a relay and you can trace it easily.
      Alternatively, use eyes and follow the pcb tracks
      Ok. Thanks

And don't sweat it if you cannot get the exact same relay. You can always wire in any form of relay, as long as the coil voltage is the same (is it 5V or 12V, better check it) and as long as it can switch 10A at 12VDC you'll be fine.

And don't sweat it if you cannot get the exact same relay. You can always wire in any form of relay, as long as the coil voltage is the same (is it 5V or 12V, better check it) and as long as it can switch 10A at 12VDC you'll be fine.
      I'm looking at images. It looks like a either a tyco 23086 c1021 or a white one that I can't make out.

I'll see if I can get the same. I'm sure my buddy will be able to get it if I can't.

It is one of the tyco 23086 c1021 relays. It is ordered, and we will change it out. Unfortunately I did not take a picture of which relay it was for reference.

In the meantime, we powered with a remote relay that I had laying around.

Thank you for your help!

Glad to hear it was as simple as the relay.
      Easy to replace (relatively given that it is soldered in) and easy to bypass (as you have done) if an identical replacement cannot be found.

Last question on the radio topic for me...

What size are the bulbs? I ordered t5 wedges, but they are way too big.

We call them grain-of-wheat bulbs

12V, about 1W, you can get them from many electronics shops, and fit them to the bulb holders

We call them grain-of-wheat bulbs

12V, about 1W, you can get them from many electronics shops, and fit them to the bulb holders
      Thanks. I'll look around. That would be easy if all the radio shacks didn't close lol.

I bought those and they work well, https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-White...item1eaff3e136 they are brighter and white so when you put the little blue cap on it (from the existing bulb) your radio button will light blue which is pretty cool, those are polarized diode and they work great once it is put correctly (+ vs -). this is the size you need for the bulb and there are 10 of them in the Radio you may as well change all of them while at it...

Cheers
      2005 XC90 V8 TF-80SC 116k miles

Hey MAGS98C70. Did you ever permanently replace those three Tyco relays on the CEM? Was that the issue?

I have a friend’s 05 XC90 V8 with Premium audio whose radio died without any previous symptoms or warnings.

After trying a heat gun trick, I could get it to partially power up (two clicks of the power button). It would show the premium sound screen then go blank but nothing else.

The next day I couldn’t get it into this state again—so i bought a replacement ICM (same part numbers) and now it reliably lights up, does the double tap power on, selector displays where you can select CD or AM or FM, Menu cycles through screens, but absolutely no radio or CD function at all.

This makes me doubt that the issue is only the ICM. It seems like the ICM is now working but something else is afoot.

I have ordered the three Tyco relays mentioned before. But I was very curious about your experience before I go pulling the CEM and soldering new relays on the board.

Any other info would be helpful.

(posting here for better visibility) Semi-related question: I'm going to be replacing the lights within my accessory switches below the climate control, and in order to gain access I need to unplug and remove the stock radio unit. Question is, do I need to disconnect my battery?

Nothing is changing other than taking out burnt out bulbs and replacing with new, and radio will be out for 10 minutes tops.
      2012 XC90 R-Design 3.2 AWD

Yes. If you disconnect the radio and air on control unit you risk an airbag warning light. So disconnect battery as a safety measure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Swiss - I was hoping to avoid, but would rather be safe than sorry with that.
      2012 XC90 R-Design 3.2 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      Can some kind soul help point out another resource for the wiring diagram?
      The hyperlink doesn't work anymore.

Really need it, my radio have been dead for months and I really like the clean
      OEM look, not too keen on android players.

Google and you will find

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

05 VOLVO XC90 AM/FM Band not working, but CD is fine

Since this is one of the few forums talking about 05 XC90 radio issues, maybe someone knows of this problem. My AM/FM band was cutting out for about a month at progressively longer periods to point it no longer works, but the CD works fine. So using logics and common sense, something Volvo knows nothing about, obviously unit is getting power. So fuse is good, relay must be good, connections must be good, so why would just the AM/FM band be inoperative. Tried connections, when I push radio on, radio screen flashes on for a second, but goes out, so it can't be a power issue, can it? LOL Volvo's are a nightmare with electronics. Any ideas?

Thanks,

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements