5th Time to Fix the Grinding Noise of the Sunroof
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy 5th Time to Fix the Grinding Noise of the Sunroof

I have been to dealer for 5 times regarding the sunroof curtain grinding noise that I found out not long after the car been delivered. I have had the car for 1 year now and the interior liner has been tear down 3 times now, the problem still occurs and the noise is way louder than before, each time I have to left the car for two days to get it repaired, so far the frame has been replaced so as the roller curtain, however the problem still there, what is more frustrated is that, the safety belt at the rear is no longer retractable and also there are several dents on the interior liner, not mentioning the scratched A pillar and airbag logos, it is so frustrating, I am wondering is there any lemon laws in Australia like U.S customer had any advise on how to handle a case like this would be appreciated.

below is a video I record regarding the issue.

updated on what was damaged and the dealer deny most of the damage caused by them.

Last edited by Classique; 04-04-2018 at 07:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We have had similar problems on both of our XC90s and here in the U.S. we had the dealer replace the headliner and in fact in one of ours the dealer caught an issue with the sunroof itself and they replaced that as well. If the dealer will not fix the issues they caused, then you should contact Volvo customer service directly. After the replacement of the sun curtains, we no longer have the grinding noise.
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Osmium Grey, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg / Vision Pkg. /20" Rims
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Black Onyx Metallic, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg. / Vision Pkg. / 20" Rims

I think itís an issue of parts.

If theyíre replacing the same part with no revisions, it will ultimately lead to no change. I think thatís whatís been happening

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
      2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- óó> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended usóó-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Rattling sound from panoramic roof curtain and clicking sound from driver window
      https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

Welcome to the club of sunroof curtain issue.

Letís keep in touch for this until they fix it.

Been down the lane for 2 curtains so far 1 frame 3 times of motors replacement (2) motors involved. It goes away for few days and comes back.

2 things I noticed.

1) it comes back when the car stays in hot weather / under the sun and it gets warm.

2) a temporary fix they do is tighten the bolts and screws of the curtain and frame extra hard. Thereís an alignment frame that has to be tightened really hard. According to the technician itís a tricky process. But it fixed the issue temporarily until the car is exposed to heat. When it cools down the sound goes away.

Iím giving them one last time for Volvo North America to come check it out in a weeks time.

If not fixed itís gonna be limoned.

Iíve tried several cars/ loaners. They donít have that sound.
      They got me 3 factory cars which has the sound. And tired to sell me that itís ď the vehicle characteristicsĒ
      BS I said since it only shows on some and not the majority.

Now we are waiting for Mr. Volvo rep to come and check it out and give us his Professional opinion.
      🤞🏻

Again letís keep in touch till one of the dealers sort it out with Volvo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post

2) a temporary fix they do is tighten the bolts and screws of the curtain and frame extra hard. There’s an alignment frame that has to be tightened really hard.
      This is not true.

Good to hear they fixed the noise, was the headliner replaced because of dealer damage them or for fixing the noise of sunroof?

looks like what they have installed are revised parts, as they send report to Volvo for the instruction of repair and, what they do is, I have to drop off the car for one day for them to diagnose problem and second time visit it takes 2 days for the car to be repaired, because every single time the parts has to come from Sweden.
      Last edited by Classique; 04-01-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Let's keep in touch and work out a solution from volvo, it is a quite simple problem but don't know why it is so hard to have it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      This is not true.
      Can you elaborate more on what you think isnít true please ?

Quote Originally Posted by Classique View Post
      Good to hear they fixed the noise, was the headliner replaced because of dealer damage them or for fixing the noise of sunroof?
      Luckily so far there was no damage to the headliner or the interior of the car.

Yet the fix ISNíT holding, itís temporary.

Sound came back about a month later now.

And it only shows up on hot weather *sigh*

being in SoCal good luck For it to disappear without a proper fix.

My service manager is on it, and he said heíll bring it up in the Florida convention theyíre having next week. Hope they have a fix for it.

Otherwise goodbye car from my side

Let's keep in touch and work out a solution from volvo, it is a quite simple problem but don't know why it is so hard to have it fixed.
      I will update you as we progress with this matter at each stage.
      Really hope they fix it as itís really annoying.
      And I donít want to give back the car.

Not sure how prevelant Volvo dealers are in Australia, but are you able to try a different dealer?

This is not true.
      Can you elaborate more on what you think isn’t true please ?

The whole statement I quoted. There isn't a temporary fix involving tightening anything "extra hard". In fact, if someone tried to do that for some treason, they would likely strip out the hole for the screws. They are pretty small fasteners, they don't need a lot of torque. Replacement of the curtain is not tricky, either.

We have had this on both of our XC90s and they actually replaced the entire sun curtain unit and not just tighten bolts. Thus far no grinding noise....keeping fingers crossed.
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Osmium Grey, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg / Vision Pkg. /20" Rims
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Black Onyx Metallic, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg. / Vision Pkg. / 20" Rims

The whole statement I quoted. There isn't a temporary fix involving tightening anything "extra hard". In fact, if someone tried to do that for some treason, they would likely strip out the hole for the screws. They are pretty small fasteners, they don't need a lot of torque. Replacement of the curtain is not tricky, either.
      Let me explain what I meant then
      Temporary fix = it only lasted a month
      The tightening part was actually performed by my dealer. Iím quoting what he stated.
      The tricky part was the tightening not the replacement of the curtain as he stated that it has to be calibrated to an extent.

By the way chill
      No need to be aggressive and making such statements ďnot trueĒ

Maybe you need to get what I meant first.

Maybe you had a different noise. But the noise coming from the sun shade when opening or closing is not from an issue of something that needs to be tightened.

"This is not true" isn't aggressive at all.

visit dealer yesterday and the service manager was trying to deny most of the damage, what a disappointment, called Volvo Australia today and complained about what happened, will get updated when I hear from them.

I worked for Volvo in Townsville, QLD Australia for a few years and other Volvo techs i met are far under educated compared to us in North America. I almost went to the Volvo shop in Paramatta/Sydney (cant remember the name of the dealer) but chose Townsville instead.

Let me help you.....

The cables in the sunroof tray are metal and have foam inside them to keep them quiet. Unfortunately the foam is deteriorating and it causes this noise of metal on plastic. The noise ONLY happens with sunshade movement and NOT glass movement.

The fix is to replace the entire sunroof tray. I have done a few personally here in Texas.

I hope this helps you, mate!
      Last edited by gunshow; 04-04-2018 at 06:01 PM.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

I have been to dealer for 5 times regarding the sunroof curtain grinding noise that I found out not long after the car been delivered. I have had the car for 1 year now and the interior liner has been tear down 3 times now, the problem still occurs and the noise is way louder than before, each time I have to left the car for two days to get it repaired, so far the frame has been replaced so as the roller curtain, however the problem still there, what is more frustrated is that, the safety belt at the rear is no longer retractable and also there are several dents on the interior liner, not mentioning the scratched A pillar and airbag logos, it is so frustrating, I am wondering is there any lemon laws in Australia like U.S customer had any advise on how to handle a case like this would be appreciated.

below is a video I record regarding the issue.

updated on what was damaged and the dealer deny most of the damage caused by them.

Lemon law....

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      I worked for Volvo in Townsville, QLD Australia for a few years and other Volvo techs i met are far under educated compared to us in North America. I almost went to the Volvo shop in Paramatta/Sydney (cant remember the name of the dealer) but chose Townsville instead.

Let me help you.....

The cables in the sunroof tray are metal and have foam inside them to keep them quiet. Unfortunately the foam is deteriorating and it causes this noise of metal on plastic. The noise ONLY happens with sunshade movement and NOT glass movement.

The fix is to replace the entire sunroof tray. I have done a few personally here in Texas.

I hope this helps you, mate!
      Iím in the same boat but not as far as 5 times yet
      Let me ask you two things

1) is the sunroof tray youíre referring to the same as what some dealers call ďsun roof frame ď ?

2) how long does this fix last ?

I had the frame, the curtain and both motors replaced and a month later sound is back.
      A lot lighter than whatís in the video but the same.

TIA for your help and support

Iím in the same boat but not as far as 5 times yet
      Let me ask you two things

1) is the sunroof tray youíre referring to the same as what some dealers call ďsun roof frame ď ?

2) how long does this fix last ?

I had the frame, the curtain and both motors replaced and a month later sound is back.
      A lot lighter than whatís in the video but the same.

TIA for your help and support

1) The sunroof tray could be called the frame.

2) The repairs I have made never came back at that was last year. You could have had an old style replaced with another old style and it went bad again.... just a guess.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      1) The sunroof tray could be called the frame.

2) The repairs I have made never came back at that was last year. You could have had an old style replaced with another old style and it went bad again.... just a guess.
      Thanks a million for your help.
      Iíll check it out with the dealer

Heimdall and Classique, have you had your issue of the sunroof curtain grinding noise fixed? I have the same issue and the dealer is ordering parts.

Quote Originally Posted by taofen_wang View Post
      Heimdall and Classique, have you had your issue of the sunroof curtain grinding noise fixed? I have the same issue and the dealer is ordering parts.
      No taofen_wang,

not yet and I doubt it will be ever for me.

Yesterday the sunroof shade decided to jump off the track and fall on my head out of the blue.

Good luck. Some others I met at the dealers actually got theirs fixed.

What blocks your dealer from applying fix - replacing the entire frame?

What blocks your dealer from applying fix - replacing the entire frame?
      Itís my 6th frame+shade and motors. (All gets changed every time )

Iím starting to doubt their integrity in that aspect.
      Or thereís actually something wrong with the car body the keeps this issue from being resolved
      Like the housing is defective or something.

Or thereís actually something wrong with the car body the keeps this issue from being resolved

OMG. I will let you know the progress of my case.

OMG. I will let you know the progress of my case.
      Thank you very much.
      Iím surprised you have this issue in a cold weather.
      The issue is that the retracting cables are a bit longer than needed and with the hot weather it expands a bit more and drags that extra when moving and eventually creating that sound.

I hate to say this, but are you sure they replaced the parts? Or were you just told that, "yeah, we replaced the parts"?
      2018 XC90 T6 AWD Osmium Gray/Amber

Quote Originally Posted by frontgear View Post
      I hate to say this, but are you sure they replaced the parts? Or were you just told that, "yeah, we replaced the parts"?
      To be honest itís showing on the bill and I was told ď we went ahead and replaced ...xyzĒ and itís fixed now.
      Yet hence my earlier comment doubting integrity
      I didnít actually go and see the old part nor the new one.

Thank you very much.
      The issue is that the retracting cables are a bit longer than needed and with the hot weather it expands a bit more and drags that extra when moving and eventually creating that sound.

It is hot here in Summer, about 25 Celsius.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription

Have had mine totally replaced and just had to go in for a "recalibration". Seems to work now...

Quote Originally Posted by LukeyBL View Post
      Have had mine totally replaced and just had to go in for a "recalibration". Seems to work now...
      Sunroof bounces back and then was able to get it closed. This is maddening. Should I just accept to not have a functioning sunroof? I'm at the point where I just want to keep my car and not be at the freaking dealer again

They've already fully replaced the glass and frame once. I don't get why this is so supremely difficult for Volvo techs to figure out. This is my second dealership that cannot get it right

Car was CPO last November and we haven't had a working sunroof yet for longer than a few weeks (in the middle of winter when we didn't attempt use)

If anybody can help me out with a recommendation of where to go from here that would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by LukeyBL View Post
      Sunroof bounces back and then was able to get it closed. This is maddening. Should I just accept to not have a functioning sunroof? I'm at the point where I just want to keep my car and not be at the freaking dealer again

They've already fully replaced the glass and frame once. I don't get why this is so supremely difficult for Volvo techs to figure out. This is my second dealership that cannot get it right

Car was CPO last November and we haven't had a working sunroof yet for longer than a few weeks (in the middle of winter when we didn't attempt use)

If anybody can help me out with a recommendation of where to go from here that would be appreciated
      My advice
      Cut it short and lemon the hell out of it.

My shade fell on my head today while opening it after a Carwash and itís stuck halfway now and not even balanced one side is way back than the other.

Iím now returning the car back and making a big mess about it.
      Iíll post pics when I can

Hi Heimdall,

The TJ33183 has been applied: replaced roller blind with cassette. It seems to be improved a lot. Just little noise while starting to open the sunshade. Temperature is 33 Celsius while testing. During the repair, technician observed rust staining due to water intrusion. One of the sunroof panels will be replaced next time.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by taofen_wang; 06-29-2018 at 01:19 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast