5th Time to Fix the Grinding Noise of the Sunroof - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Quote Originally Posted by PBerna View Post
      Leaking sunroof is a common issue in the 2016, TJ # 31272 is on that (I have a copy but I couldn’t attach it here, sorry). The sunroof of MY2016 was leaking and I asked the dealer to check it a month ago. The sunroof and the curtain was making a griping noise to open and close as well. They ended up doing this TJ and lubricating the system and now it’s working fine, no noise at all. I’m still not sure if it’s still not leaking as the car is mostly staying parked due to COVID, but I made myself some tests and seems to be ok.

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk
      Thanks.....I will use this information at my next visit to the dealership.
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      No sunroof is waterproof. They are designed to let water into a tray assembly and that tray has drains that direct water out.

There are no TJs or recalls for this.
      There’s no TJ for the gridding sunroof / roof shade !!!
      Damn my dealer kept taking me for a ride then, “ there’s a TJ fix for it that we did and ....” “ Volvo is aware and there are few tjs and fixes advised”

Hell I Lemon lawed my first 2 Volvos for that. Until they got it right now on my 3rd and screwed something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There isn't a TJ for rusted cables.

Even if there was a TJ, that does not mean the fix is free out of warranty.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Tech, you are right. The TJ I mentioned is for leaking sunroof and not rusted cables. What I meant is that, if the problem of rust is due to leak, the TJ may solve the leak, but the rusted parts will not be under the TJ. In the case of my car, lubricating the sunroof system solved the noise.

And yes, you are right again: I paid for the job (including the parts under the TJ) as my car is out of warranty....

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
      There’s no TJ for the gridding sunroof / roof shade !!!
      Damn my dealer kept taking me for a ride then, “ there’s a TJ fix for it that we did and ....” “ Volvo is aware and there are few tjs and fixes advised”

Hell I Lemon lawed my first 2 Volvos for that. Until they got it right now on my 3rd and screwed something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I had the same issue and the repair was attempted via TJ 83612-2 (see my entry on the previous page). After that didn't work, they replaced the whole shade mechanism, track, etc. Knock on wood, it's been fine since.

NOTE - This is for the shade mechanism only, not the sunroof itself.
      2018 Volvo XC90 Momentum +
      2007 Aston Martin DB9 Coupe
      2012 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon

I just started a new thread and then found this thread.

I have an almost 2 year old 2018 V90CC. Since brand new I have had a funny noise, kind of a grinding when opening the sunroof shade. It got a little worse over time, but still operational. I finally mentioned something when I took the car in for second year service. I was told it needed to be replaced. After service the first day driving home I opened it and something snapped when it was closing and the entire thing fell behind me and obstructed my view.
      Dealer told me the ordered a new one and it will be replaced.
      I operated the car for about a month. After about 4 times of opening and closing the shade something snapped again and the entire thing is hanging down behind me.
      To sum up I have been though 3 sunroof shades.

The dealer is very helpful and polite and professional.

I am not sure where to go from here. It is currently in service for the 4th one.

Should I be contacting Volvo corporate?

Am I in Lemon Law territory? I live in Los Angeles.

The car has now been out of service for close to a month total for various other problems. (battery failure when new, Engine mounts, door cable coming loose, trim on back of car coming loose, and the above sunroof shade problem)

I really do enjoy the car, but I am afraid I got the one off the line where the guys were sleeping on the job. I am just saying I am afraid to own out of warranty.

Any advice would be helpful.
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V90CCDAD View Post
      I just started a new thread and then found this thread.

I have an almost 2 year old 2018 V90CC. Since brand new I have had a funny noise, kind of a grinding when opening the sunroof shade. It got a little worse over time, but still operational. I finally mentioned something when I took the car in for second year service. I was told it needed to be replaced. After service the first day driving home I opened it and something snapped when it was closing and the entire thing fell behind me and obstructed my view.
      Dealer told me the ordered a new one and it will be replaced.
      I operated the car for about a month. After about 4 times of opening and closing the shade something snapped again and the entire thing is hanging down behind me.
      To sum up I have been though 3 sunroof shades.

The dealer is very helpful and polite and professional.

I am not sure where to go from here. It is currently in service for the 4th one.

Should I be contacting Volvo corporate?

Am I in Lemon Law territory? I live in Los Angeles.

The car has now been out of service for close to a month total for various other problems. (battery failure when new, Engine mounts, door cable coming loose, trim on back of car coming loose, and the above sunroof shade problem)

I really do enjoy the car, but I am afraid I got the one off the line where the guys were sleeping on the job. I am just saying I am afraid to own out of warranty.

Any advice would be helpful.
      Thanks
      You are in lemon law territory and CA Lemon Law from my understanding is very pro-consumer. Here in FL we lemon lawed our 2017 XC90 and it was very close to the cutoff for lemon law. Volvo did right by us and bought the car back so we didn't have to go through the entire lemon law process. Also a couple of things to note, with the mileage usage calculation some states this starts at the first service and others it is the mileage at vehicle buy back. In my case our issues started at 200 miles and we had the sunroom / shade replaced in our XC90 four times and it never fixed it, plus some other issues. The final straw for us was the main screen restarting randomly / locking up and a broken A/C that quit working 20 mins into a 3 hour drive. Lastly, if you had a vehicle that you traded in for your Volvo you are entitled to the retail value of your trade in at the time you traded it in (this was a little known to most in FL but it got us a lot more money back from what we traded in). All in all be prepared for a process that can take up to three months from when Volvo agrees to buy back the car since they involve a third party (Stericycle) to complete the buy back process. I will say that our Volvo dealer was the best dealer we have ever worked with and Volvo corporate was also very responsive. Make sure to have all of your service invoices, and it made it easier where I also created an out of service spreadsheet that showed date in / out of service each time, what the issue was, was it resolved, and all of the mileage. Now we have a Tesla and while the service experience is not the same as Volvo (ie old loaners, long waiting times to get an appointment) the OTA updates are amazing and the electronics are blazing fast and always work. Also, the mobile service they provide is awesome (as long as the issue can be fixed by them, some service requires the actual service center).

Thanks for the help. Just curious the first step to attempt to Lemon the car. How do I properly contact Volvo corporate? Do I involve the dealer at first as well?

Quote Originally Posted by V90CCDAD View Post
      Thanks for the help. Just curious the first step to attempt to Lemon the car. How do I properly contact Volvo corporate? Do I involve the dealer at first as well?
      Look up your states requirements we had to first send a certified form to Volvo and a state office. Due to the tightness to our claim (within weeks of lemon law expiring) we also contacted a lemon law lawyer who then took over the negotiations after we submitted the forms. Google your states lemon law and there will be information on it. Also the lemon law process is one that involves both corporate, the dealer (in case you don’t have all the service invoices), and either yourself or lawyer.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3